Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lol Copa nice edit ya bugger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Voronin is a legend, his reaction for his goal was amazing.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dcully wrote:
    Lol Copa nice edit ya bugger :)

and in before the edit window closed too!!!

great win but not getting carried away, their keeper has saved nothing..

great to see us show a good cutting edge though and torres racking them up and alonso back scoring,
    reckon one of them will get a hat-trick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Id play Vor with Torres all the time tbh,, I love Kuyts work rate and attitude but he is not as good a finisher.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mushy wrote:
    6 now. Au revoir Derby!

It was Au revoir after the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Serves Fagan right for having a sneaky stamp earlier.

Good scoreline, but a few defensive frailities are still there, mainly due to Hypia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not watching (listening) but Hyypia is good enough for the level of opposition the team are facing for the next 4-5 weeks.

Of course some will say it should have been 8 or 10 ;)

Mike.

Hypia has been suspect both defensive and distribution wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Aquos76 wrote:
    It was Au revoir after the first one.

Oh, I'm not talking about this match alone. They may be challenging for Sunderlands record in the premiership this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Watching this game is like watching a cripple getting beaten up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just been listening to this on the radio but it is looking really good for Liverpool so far this season.

Phew tis over. Rams go home on wobbly legs.

Mike.

Just been listening to this on the radio but it is looking really good for Liverpool so far this season.

Certainly is, only for that ref fcuk up against Chelsea ye would have a 100% record and so far this season ye are definitely the team to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

When was the last time Xabi Alonso scored twice? All hail mighty competition! Good to have you back Xabs.

On to Brum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Pity there is an international week ahead, its the last thing we need at the minute tbh, we really are firing and i'm a little worried that it might affect our rhythm. With Birmingham apparently crap today it would have been nice to have them mid week, lets hope our squad can all report back fit and healthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Not going to start mouthing on about it but ive a very good feeling about this season. Ive said it before and had it thrown back in my face. But we have 2 very good players for every position. To win 6-0 without Stevie and Carra is phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Not going to get carried away, Derby were awful but it did give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside watching us rack up the goals.

Calm down , calm down , early days yet :)

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Archimedes wrote:
    Just as I thought. As long as it goes in your favour, its not a scandal. Thanks for confirming this, you may proceed to discuss your club.

Go back to the Utd thread if you want to slate liverpool

on the topic of the match

pennent, babel and torres played blinders

masch was great all game and made torres secend goal - pity he is out for portsmouth next week.

Good overall performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Yeah it was exciting.

Alonso last scored 2 in the Luton match. Well these goals weren't as good, but great performance by all, and Torres.
    kryogen wrote:
    i would never back Torres to outscore anybody to be honest....his goalscoring record is "ahem" shall we say sketchy? good player, but not a prolific goalscorer!

Cough cough. Nice little earner for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

why were sunderland fans singin "YNWA" today at the man u match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

DaBreno wrote:
    When was the last time Xabi Alonso scored twice? All hail mighty competition! Good to have you back Xabs.

On to Brum...
    And he missed a sitter!

Phase 2 of our Six wins a Row complete ;)

Playing well, albeit against nothing. But I'm delighted, mainly with the way everyone is playing for the team and nobody playing for themselves. A big difference from recent years IMO. Torres is a class footballer.

United are playing muck but eeking out the wins. Hopefully we'll be able to do that on our off days.

AdrianII wrote:
    why were sunderland fans singin "YNWA" today at the man u match

I would imagine it was to wind up the Man U fans when there own team went 1 down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

I hope all the new guys can keep it together through the winter....anyone else remember what happened last time we were top of the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hey, if he starts it I've no sympathy. :)

Should Liverpool sell Gerrard next summer? ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mike65 wrote:
    Should Liverpool sell Gerrard next summer? ;)

Mike.

maybe should of sold him when Benitez wanted too...

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Gerrard is still our best player, though there's a chance Mascherano and Alonso are our best midfield partnership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Now comes the age-old (well, season-old) conundrum of how to accommodate Gerrard in the team.

Hopefully this will spoil Liverpool's season or else United might be in trouble!

Now comes the age-old (well, season-old) conundrum of how to accommodate Gerrard in the team.

Hopefully this will spoil Liverpool's season or else United might be in trouble!

The Gerard thing only appears to be an issue because everyone keeps yapping on about it. If Rafa didn't want Stevie, figured he could do without him or needed to cash on him to bolster the squad he would got rid of him by now. The fact remains that the Gerard "problem" are are the type of problems that managers love to have.

Rafa obviously considered selling him on a few occassions in the past but the club and squad are in a very different situation now. Back then, it was a choice between 1 world class midfielder, 5 good players and a bunch of retards or 0 world class players and 10 good players. Rafa was going for option 2 but it didn't happen for whatever reasons.

We are now in a situation where we have genuine quality throughout the whole squad and can concentrate on adding genuine quality to the team. Instead, we have some supporters suggesting that beating a shockingly bad Derby team means we can sell one of the best midfielders in the the wordl. I just don't get it.

How to accomodate a world class midfielders into a team that he can easily slot into is not going to have anything to do with Liverpool winning or loosing the league. Even discussing winning it at this stage is a waste of time anyway. While we have shown we have progressed alot of last season, I am still less than convinced that we can continue scoring like this and not conceeding for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Its a bit mad how fickle some of you guys can be. Alonso hasn't been playing that well up to now, and he has a decent game against Derby and suddenly we're talking about how to accomodaet Stevie? ...rediculous

Stevie + Masch is a far better pairing imo because against better teams Alonso doesn't influence the game as much as Gerrard.

We've had Rafa long enough now to know that he approaches each game differently, right now we've got the combinations needed to win games, Personally I think Alonso and Gerrard would have been the preferred setup for yesterday.

It's a great headache to have, as their are so many midfield combinations, rotation now will see us being fresher come the business end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

So has Babel won people over with his performance yesterday? I was a little worried about him after a bad coupe of early games but now he's looking very dangerous. Interestingly he was more effective on the right while Pennant played well on the left when they swapped, could that become a regular feature I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

The Gerard thing only appears to be an issue because everyone keeps yapping on about it. If Rafa didn't want Stevie, figured he could do without him or needed to cash on him to bolster the squad he would got rid of him by now. The fact remains that the Gerard "problem" are are the type of problems that managers love to have.

Rafa obviously considered selling him on a few occassions in the past but the club and squad are in a very different situation now. Back then, it was a choice between 1 world class midfielder, 5 good players and a bunch of retards or 0 world class players and 10 good players. Rafa was going for option 2 but it didn't happen for whatever reasons.

We are now in a situation where we have genuine quality throughout the whole squad and can concentrate on adding genuine quality to the team. Instead, we have some supporters suggesting that beating a shockingly bad Derby team means we can sell one of the best midfielders in the the wordl. I just don't get it.

How to accomodate a world class midfielders into a team that he can easily slot into is not going to have anything to do with Liverpool winning or loosing the league. Even discussing winning it at this stage is a waste of time anyway. While we have shown we have progressed alot of last season, I am still less than convinced that we can continue scoring like this and not conceeding for the rest of the season.

Of course, it's a great problem for a manager to have. Particularly now with Pennant showing good form, and Babel having a decent game. Before the start of this season, I would have said that:

Winger---Alonso---Mascherano---Gerrard

was probably the best way of using Liverpool's talent most effectively, though I would have entertained the idea of dropping Alonso due to poor form (which would have been a shame because I think he's a great player). Now, I'd lean towards:

Winger---Gerrard---Alonso/Mascherano---Winger

alternating Alonso (for an attacking line-up against the crapper teams) and Mascherano (for a defensive line-up against the better teams). I would still have reservations about this, because Babel still has much to prove and I'm genuinely shocked that Pennant is playing so well. I don't think your other wingers - Riise, Kewell, Benayoun - have yet done enough to earn a place at the expense of the big three central midfielders. If I was a Liverpool fan, I'd also like to see some experimentation with five in midfield and Torres up front on his own. I know that's not his style really, but it might be a formation worth having in the bag for European matches.

Despite much of the above shock and horror at the suggestion that accommodating Gerrard could be a problem, I do think it's still a very relevant point and the issue will have to be dealt with, I think, if Liverpool are to have the season I hope they don't.

Having watched Pennant in every game this season, he deserves a starting place in the majority of matches this season. I am not saying that he is world class but he is perfect for 85% of the opposition in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

agree 100%, think he has pretty much been our best player so far this season

edit: i hope the FA cup have a look at that incident where Fagan stamped on Arbeloa-shouldnt be let away with it just cause we pummeled em.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Having watched Pennant in every game this season, he deserves a starting place in the majority of matches this season. I am not saying that he is world class but he is perfect for 85% of the opposition in the PL.

Well he always had the basic ingredients pace, decent dribbling and a good first touch, but he looks to have improved his final delivery this season.

TBHI though that his attitude would be his biggest obstacle to becomming a top player, but he seems to have really knuckled down since moving to Liverpool. I hope his good form continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LOL @ the idea of a liverpool manager selling steven gerrard, he'd be lynched by all you scousers!!! come on now, ive never heard such a ludicris idea..... there is no way,whether benitez wants him or not that he could sell him, his liverpool career would be over....liverpool fans seem to think hes bigger then the team and so does he for that matter, it would never happen unless he demands a transfer

actually think the Gerrard being sold thing was tongue in cheek. good to know we aint as dependant on him as we have been in the past though :)

and you'd be suprised a lot of liverpool fans opinions on Gerrard, check through Scouse forums and you'll soon find out that he aint quite as popular as the media make him out to be.

and gerrard knows he aint bigger than the team, he's from the area he knows what it means to the people

Anyone got the highlights on YOutube? I've searched but they've all been taken down...?

Was being taking the piss a little hence the ;), and millersangel is right. Some reckon he's a bit too Stevie-Me. Its Carra who's universaly loved dispite being a Bluenose (like many of Pools best players).

Mike.

• Advertisement

Liverpool top of the league with a game in hand!! Come on you REDS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

chelseas defeat should make for a nice moral boost today. still early days but hopefully we can take advantage and open a 3 point gap on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

All in all a great weekend! Absolutely delighted Chelsea failed again to get a result at Villa. They've fairly ridden their luck so far in the campaign and its good to see them finally suffer for it. The reds must take advantage of this at Pompey, it'll be tough one though and hopefully the form will carry on (including pompey's) Its our first major test bar the chelsea one. I hope we get no injuries during the break and that Gerrard isn't stupidly risked.

Arsenal could well mount a better challenge this year considering the other two have dropped points. Good win for them today though suspensions in their defense may hurt them with spurs coming up, they could well drop points there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Was at the game yesterday Derby had absolutely nothing to offer,I will give my thought's on the game when I fully recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Kanney wrote:
    Anyone got the highlights on YOutube? I've searched but they've all been taken down...?
    I was delighted with the win yesterday and Villa's performance today was the icing on an already very tasty cake!
    It looks like you have to be very quick off the mark to get the video highlights from YouTube.
    Check here for a link to the highlights from BBC's Match of the Day. It's an 84Mb download as there were a lot of goals :D

Superb mate, always wanted to get a proper quality dl, stick em on my ipod to rub in peoples faces. Thanks malice_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Highlights here as well for those that don't want to download the previous link. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vz4s_liverpool-60-derby_sport
    Was at the game as well yesterday and that's the first time I've had a chance to see the goals all over again - worth the wait ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Kanney wrote:
    Superb mate, always wanted to get a proper quality dl, stick em on my ipod to rub in peoples faces. Thanks malice_
    I can't take any credit, I just found the link. Thank the good people over at Red and White Kop. Just don't tell them if you're not from Liverpool for fear of igniting the Local v Out-Of-Towner debate again!

I used to work with a Derby fan. I have e-mailed him the DailyMotion link. He should enjoy it when he gets into work tomorrow morning. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Very impressive from Liverpool, really worrying for Derby, that sort of defending will send you right back down to the championship.

It's the first time in a long time I've actually seen Liverpool strikers take their chances on a regular basis. I must say I stand by my remark that Hyypia looks very uncomfortable at the back, and I'm still surprised Rafa didn't bring somebody in. That said, Derby were light years away from having the talent to expose that.

Liverpool made a lot more chances today, largely because of their two most wasteful players earlier in the season were not playing, Riise and Gerrard. Chance after chance was created today by very smart play. The whole where do you work in Gerrard debate is an interesting one, but it's not the key question, it's how do you get Gerrard to stop going for kikler passes all the time.

Top of the league though, and with the run of games to come, likely to stay there until at least October.

Shame we aint playing the mancs till december is all i'll say :)

Think your comment about Riise is correct and as someone said earlier, hopefully his time as a guarunteed starter is finished and if he does play it will be on merit.

Your gerrard point i'd disagree with, his return will only make liverpool stronger in my opinion.

Still yet to concede a goal from open play-quite impressive.

For Hypia, as i said before, coming up against class opposition, i wouldnt be so confident (although i dont think he'd be embarrased,and might have a good game) but he is more than able for these run of games we have coming up.

to think if it wasnt for Styles, we could be 3 points clear with game in hand :) ah well happy enough as it is

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement