Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

correct me If I am worng but the only news I can find of Sissoko is quotes from him saying its close. The amount seems to be plucked from nowhere. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Loving the positive impact you having today Kida! :)

Jazzy, while i am not disputing the fact that i would like things to be finalised to end any speculation, i amnt really sharing peoples massive concerns, we have him on loan until the end of the season. He said he wants to stay. Rafa has said he wants to keep him.

Are Villa fans going mad in case they dont sign Carson before the close of the window? No - why would they!? he's there till the end of the season. I understand its a little different, but the same principle applies, why sign and pay for him now when we dont have to until the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I suppose with the apparent interest from other clubs maybe fans fear they'll lose him. The same can't really be said of Carson to the best of my knowledge

Have any clubs came out and said they wanna sign Masch apart from us? or is it just paper talk?

I guess it's just paper talk, but he's a quality player, if he was available I'm sure many clubs from England and abroad would be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i thought milan said they were interested a few weeks back?
    maybe it was just gossip though.

id be very surprised if clubs around europe wernt looking at the possibility signing him given the current financial situation of LFC tbh!!!

Same could be said for Carson, Tevez, Castillo and any other qualtiy players that are on loan. Which is why clubs, before agreeing to taking a player on loan have contracts done up to guaruntee they will be able to get the player if they want them on a permanent basis.

and there we are back to square 1. If we want (the owners, that is, obviously the fans want) Mascherano, we'll get him.

No big deal.

Lets leave the paper talk to the papers.

Do Liverpool have first refusal?

yes we have first refusal.

talking about that is how the whole Masch topic came up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr Alan wrote: »
    yes we have first refusal.

talking about that is how the whole Masch topic came up anyway.

We do have first refusal alright but the loan deal is up at the end of month. Surely that means that thats the end of the first refusal also ? The first refusal doesn't go on for ever, it goes on for the period of the loan which was from last January to this January.

If we don't sign him in January, other clubs are free to make offers and he is free to sign a pre-contract with them. Thats my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Tusky wrote: »
    We do have first refusal alright but the loan deal is up at the end of month. Surely that means that thats the end of the first refusal also ? The first refusal doesn't go on for ever, it goes on for the period of the loan which was from last January to this January.

If we don't sign him in January, other clubs are free to make offers and he is free to sign a pre-contract with them. Thats my understanding anyway.

fairly sure it is until end of the season, otherwise there would be a lot more panic about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

the loan deal isnt up till the summer is it? sure how is he going to play for liverpool if his loan deal is up at the end of january? id imagine ye have first refusal until the end of the loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The loan deal extends to the summer afaik. There was talk of Liverpool having to give permission for him to play in the Olympics or something recently sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

It was an 18 month loan deal with option to buy.

In other news Palermo are after Lucas. A loan might be good for him but can't see Rafa letting two of midfielders go.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3075913,00.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Lucas should go nowhere. He will get games this year and whats the point in having him play over there, he needs to settle in here and learn the language this season and then we will see how unbelivable he is next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Looks like the dirty deed has been done then:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7203724.stm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Cheerio Rafa, Masch, Xabi, Pepe, Alvaro and prob a few others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Melion wrote: »
    Cheerio Rafa, Masch, Xabi, Pepe, Alvaro and prob a few others

I doubt it. The furious reaction (behind the scenes, but heavily leaked to the press) of Gillette and others in LFC to Hicks' Klinsmann revelation suggest it was not something planned to force Rafa out, but a boneheadedly misguided attempt to show that their disputes with Rafa were in the past. If Rafa and the team can actually pull out of the current slump and finish in 4th with a decent cup run or two, I think he'll be safe for another season. That's assuming the Americans even stay till the end of the season, and this refinancing only makes that a bit more likely - they've had to put more of their own money in than they wanted, and DIC haven't given any indication they're going to go away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

f*ck this.
    im gonna be an optimist from now on.

new stadium \o/
    new players (WINGERS!) \o/
    stability \o/

(i hope)

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Lucas should go nowhere. He will get games this year and whats the point in having him play over there, he needs to settle in here and learn the language this season and then we will see how unbelivable he is next season.

I agree (hope anyway) he should get more games for the rest season. If Momo was staying I'd have thought it a good move for him to go on loan to another prem team to help him adapt and get the games under his belt. But with Momo going we need him so we can try rework the best midfield song ;)

football365 say we are getting another loan for a further 45m for player acquisitions?!?
    The £160million figure includes £105million new cash for the club - £65million to kick-start work on the new stadium, and a further sum of £45million of working capital including money for player acquisitions. The remainder is the existing debt the Americans inherited when they took over the club a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jazzy wrote: »
    f*ck this.
    im gonna be an optimist from now on.

new stadium \o/
    new players (WINGERS!) \o/
    stability \o/

(i hope)

Your first two predictions are most likely spot on. The last one however - stability - will not be a word associated with Liverpool for some time while Mr. Hicks remains affiliated with the club.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    football365 say we are getting another loan for a further 45m for player acquisitions?!?

Hopefully Parry will be handing 17m or 12m or whatever the amount is to Kia to secure Masch long term. But will it be deja vu for Rafa .. asking for a defensive midfielder and getting a mid size family saloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Hobbs off to Scunthorpe United on loan for the rest of the season. Scunthorpe struggling at the wrong end of the Championship but should prove good experience for the young lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I wonder could Rafa fix a sneaky deal for Tevez with Kia while he's sealing the Masch deal? Rafa's always rated Tevez. I liked Tevez too until I saw him with AIG on his shirt:( He's still a class player though and we've all got embarrassing/shameful memories from our teenage tears/21/22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given the horrid rep of G&H I bet they will make sure Masch is secured just as part of bridge-building. Funnily Rafa could be safer now than he has been for a while.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Hobbs off to Scunthorpe United on loan for the rest of the season. Scunthorpe struggling at the wrong end of the Championship but should prove good experience for the young lad.

Thats the very job for him. Shots will be coming thick and fast with plenty of bruisers knocking into him. Should sharpen him up a bit, probably more experience than he'll get with the reserves.

Edit: Why is Archimedes Blasphemous signature tolerated? There is only one GOD here

I suppose he can like whoever he likes but it does seem somewhat premature referring to him as GOD alright..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

BBC wrote:
    Hicks will also feel he will be in a stronger position should he decide to sell in the future, dealing a blow to DIC's hopes of mounting a swift bid to take control of the club.

Meh... in a years time they'll have to sell when they realise they can never visit the ground for a match again without a security operation like as if Dubya was in town, they're as popular as a fart in a spacesuit, and nobody will give them another 300million to build a ground.

Light the torch paper.. this could get nasty...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3248303.ece

times reporting that we are ready to sign Masch. Hard to know wat to believe. Great news if they have. still have about 1,000,000 other things to do to make up for the ****e over the last while though.

would i being over optimistic in thinking it would be a massive show of support for Rafa if they did?

Not a big fan of John Terry but:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW12366080123-1622.htm
    Jamie Carragher's international retirement has been put into context by John Terry describing the Liverpool centre-back as the finest defender in the world.

Terry, England's captain under former boss Steve McClaren, has paid tribute to Carragher, who made his 500th appearance for his club earlier this month.

"I personally think that over the last four or five years he has been the best defender in the world," said Terry, in a documentary for LFC TV.

"He's been consistent in the Premier League, he's never injured, he always gives 100 per cent, he's a good reader of the game, he's quick and is good in the air.

"He has everything you need to be a world-class defender and you also have to look at what he's achieved in the Champions League with Liverpool."

Carragher was instrumental in Liverpool's Champions League success of 2005 and reaching the final last season, although he called time on his England career in the summer after a frustrating time under McClaren.

Fabio Capello, McClaren's successor, was impressed by Carragher's performances while at Juventus but the 29-year-old recently suggested he was "happy with the way things are now".

Terry's partnership with Rio Ferdinand made it difficult for Carragher to establish himself for England but the Chelsea skipper has no doubts over the Liverpool defender's quality.

"For a centre-half he's also great on the ground as well," Terry said. "He knows when to get the ball away, when to clear his lines.

"He also never stops talking to his team-mates and that's a great thing to have. Even when you watch games on the television it's always his voice you can hear."

He added: "To reach 500 games is a huge achievement.

"I've been at Chelsea a long time and am still nowhere near that total. He is a credit to himself."

Also:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/01/24/SOCCER_Liverpool_Finance_Nightl.html
    Of the £350million, more than £160million will be debt tied to Liverpool and around £190million covered by Hicks and Gillett's guarantees.

The £160million figure includes £105million new cash for the club - £65million to kick-start work on the new stadium, and a further sum of £45million of working capital including money for player acquisitions. The remainder is the existing debt the Americans inherited when they took over the club a year ago.

Read quite a few rumblings that the Sissoko cash will be used to buy Johnson from Man City.. I know Rafa tried to sign him 2 or 3 seasons ago but did not agree with Cities valuation as the time. Really rate him as a player personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Read quite a few rumblings that the Sissoko cash will be used to buy Johnson from Man City.. I know Rafa tried to sign him 2 or 3 seasons ago but did not agree with Cities valuation as the time. Really rate him as a player personally.

Very good player alright, but the question is where does he fit in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

No question about Carraghers quality over the last few years but imo he's been substandard this season. Possibly to do with those around him more than anything though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

just read that, its a sad day for LFC

this is really not good, had my doubts about these two when they fisrt came in, thought they were another glazier, but when i thought what i seen was an actual interest in the club i thought 'maybe these guys aren't too bad'

its now clear what their interest really was, ok, granted, every take over or investment does have a fininacal element to it, but whats happening now is too much,

:(

I see him as a player that is virtually identical to Gerard to be honest.. Just younger and maybe less of a box to box player than Gerard....

Gerard, Mascherano, Alonso, Johnson and Lucas would make for a nice centre of midfield.

Obviously just rumours though but I would be delighted if the transfer went through...

Also quite a few suggestions that the owners want to give a very public show of support for Rafa by making quite a hefy amount available for transfers. The rumoured amount is £45 million and this would probably be supplemented through player sales.

Also read a few rumours that Newcy are in the hunt for Peter Crouch and that Rafa will only consider the transfer if Martins goes the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Can't see it. City don't need the money, and the player must know the number of games he'd play at Liverpool will be a lot less than he'll play for City. And he used to be with Everton before he joined City, so chances are he's a blue.

He played in the first of the two successive FA Youth Cup Finals we won. I'd much prefer it that some of our team from then were given a chance, rather than us spending a fortune on some of the opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Also read a few rumours that Newcy are in the hunt for Peter Crouch and that Rafa will only consider the transfer if Martins goes the other way.

Interesting... he was quite good a few years ago. Crouchie is the only striker who has improved while at Liverpool though in a long time. I wonder would Keegan consider a swap, Kuyt and Crouch for Owen and Martins:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,634 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Stky10 wrote: »
    Can't see it. City don't need the money, and the player must know the number of games he'd play at Liverpool will be a lot less than he'll play for City. And he used to be with Everton before he joined City, so chances are he's a blue.

He played in the first of the two successive FA Youth Cup Finals we won. I'd much prefer it that some of our team from then were given a chance, rather than us spending a fortune on some of the opposition.

Seconded, although as for being a blue, the only colour that counts is green.

I'd say Sven would not be 2 happy if he was told he had to sell on his stars, also reports of Dunne going to Newcastle. If Citys triple player of the year and Richards goes, the City support will riot.

• Advertisement

so anyone know where we can watch the match on saturday?

oobydooby wrote: »
    Interesting... he was quite good a few years ago. Crouchie is the only striker who has improved while at Liverpool though in a long time. I wonder would Keegan consider a swap, Kuyt and Crouch for Owen and Martins:p

I don't know what to think to be honest. He has heeps of pace and has a heck of a shot on him. Used to really rate him when I saw him play for Inter and he seemed to be quite good in his first season at Newcy.

Would personally prefer to keep Crouch and get rid of Kuyt. As has been pointed out before, Kuyt and Voronin are carbon copies of each other but I think I rate Voronin that bit higher.

Stky10 wrote: »

Maybe so. Could just be a rumour I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

kryogen wrote: »
    the loan deal isnt up till the summer is it? sure how is he going to play for liverpool if his loan deal is up at the end of january? id imagine ye have first refusal until the end of the loan

Surely as with a Bosman his contract is up at the ned of the season and he is free to talk to clubs from Jan, so would think Liverpool have to sort out the deal now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Surely being a football club and having negotiated this deal to begin with, they're well aware of when a deal has to be done and who Mascherano is allowed to speak to, so would think Liverpool are active in the background - even if they're not sending hourly email bulletins to your personal Gmail account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

but I think I rate Voronin that bit higher.

are you insane?

I agree Kuyt has no control and is slower than Voronin also Kuyt has some market value, more than Voronin anyway! :p

Mike.

According to bbc's gossip column we made a bid to loan theo walcott till the end of the season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

From www.bbc.co.uk/sport

Arsenal have rejected an audacious attempt by Liverpool to take Theo Walcott on loan for the rest of the season - but Sven-Goran Eriksson is still hopeful of luring the player to Manchester City. (0810 GMT - The Times)

If true*, does this seem odd? I've read lately that apparently Wenger is not happy with the progress that Walcott is making - Why would Rafa be interested? Does he think Arsenal would ever go for this kind of a deal?

* Speculation???

Walcott would only make ANY sense if one striker were leaving.

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement