Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Looks like Mascherano is going nowhere. Comments from Rafa.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3078089,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Question for Liverpool fans:

I have read daily on this thread, pretty much all season, that the number 1 priority transfer wise is to sign Mascherano permanantly.

If you were given the choice right now of signing a new ready made world class striker to partner Torres or signing Mascherano, what would you plump for?

Personally, I would get a striker. I think it's glaringly obvious you need a new striker more. I would not be happy if £17M was spent on him and no striker brought in when you could get a proper forward for in around the same mark.

I just don't see the signing of Mascherano as of paramount importance. He is a cracking player, but has been playing all season and Liverpool have not moved forward.

If Torres had say Fabiano up beside him there wouldn't be such an onus on him and he could afford to have the odd off day and Liverpool would still pick up the points. As it is now when Torres form dips they don't win, especially in the league with so many draws.

I'm genuinely interested to see the responses to this. Does anyone agree with my line of thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Nunu wrote: »

I have read daily on this thread, pretty much all season, that the number 1 priority transfer wise is to sign Mascherano permanantly.

If you were given the choice right now of signing a new ready made world class striker to partner Torres or signing Mascherano, what would you plump for?

Personally, I would get a striker. I think it's glaringly obvious you need a new striker more. I would not be happy if £17M was spent on him and no striker brought in when you could get a proper forward for in around the same mark.

I just don't see the signing of Mascherano as of paramount importance. He is a cracking player, but has been playing all season and Liverpool have not moved forward.

If Torres had say Fabiano up beside him there wouldn't be such an onus on him and he could afford to have the odd off day and Liverpool would still pick up the points. As it is now when Torres form dips they don't win, especially in the league with so many draws.

I'm genuinely interested to see the responses to this. Does anyone agree with my line of thinking?

Theres a few ways to look at it. If we had to choose between a striker & Mascherano the choice is simple. You would have to go for a striker.

However, in reality, we dont have to make that choice. We should get around 8m for Carson, 3m for Guthrie and are getting around 10m for Sissoko which is more than enough to secure Mascherano. Also, if we let him go we would be left with Gerrard, Alonso & Lucas. So we would have to buy a new CM anyway.

Although his position is not a priority, he is so good that it is unimaginable to let him go to another club. Hes 23 & looks like he will be one of the first names on the team sheet in the Argentinian national squad for years to come. Added to that the fact that not only is he settled and happy in Liverpool, he has been one of our best players.

I dont see any reason why we cant buy Mascherano as well as addressing the other weaker positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I wouldn't mind seeing babel on as an out & out striker.

He'd be great given a free role up front with Crouch, I'd like to see that, let him roam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Nunu - there's no point in getting into a 'what if' type scenario. We have the oportunity now to sign Masch and most of us feel that we should take it. Whatever players - strikers or otherwise - come available (even if that means prying tham away from their current clubs) in the summer is something to deal with in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think that we would be making a big mistake to leave Mascherano go. It's a pretty much done deal - all we need is the cash. If we had to hunting for a striker (who's available for €17m and as good as Torres) we could end up spending more than necessary or worse - buy someone at the last minute like we've been doing for the last 4 years.

Does anyone have in mind what strikers we should be looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I wouldn't mind seeing babel on as an out & out striker.

Here Here!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Berbatov, Huntelaar, Benzema, someone of that ability, not sure if its a done deal yet that he is going back to brazil, but I'd love Rafa to get Ronaldo.

Babel has played as an out and out striker a couple of times, and looked really poor in that position tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

When we're looking for strikers; Villa, Huntelaar, Benzema, Pandev (been keeping an eye on him since we were linked with him). They'd all top my list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Considering you have read this thread, you will have know that PHB asked the exact same question a few weeks ago and may replies were posted.

Oh if we got Ronaldo i would so get his name on my shirt.

I think Babel tried too hard when he was placed in that postition originally. Hopefully he might be more relaxed now. Especially against Havant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Masch is a long term investment, Its worth noting that Gerrard is the old man of Pools midfield! Lucas will be his sucessor (if all goes well), Masch is the new Didi, Alonso is for me the spare part oddly enough - I would'nt sell him (quality cover is hard to find) but unless Rafa is going to change the formation I'm not sure where he'll play many games.

As for strikers - Torres needs to establish a partnership with someone not Kuyt. Dunno who - I'd like to see Crouch for the remainder of this season. After that, well who knows?

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Considering you have read this thread, you will have know that PHB asked the exact same question a few weeks ago and may replies were posted.

Didn't see that. I'll trawl back now and have a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Yeah, I think Crouch needs to be given a run of games up front with Torres. Kuyt has really disappointed me this season and I just don't know what Voroninin gives us.
    With Voroninin out for a few weeks[think he had surgery on his ankle], Crouch will probably get more opportunities and hopefully he'll show us he's worth holdin' onto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

IMO that person to take the partnership with Torres should be Crouch, because Kuyt had too many chances to perform well, but he didn't... I'm pretty sure he did score this season but I can't remember them. Vorinin is just too unpredictable for you, in the same game he could look creative and visionary then look that he doesn't have a balls notion what going on. Therefore Crouch is the pick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Given the choice between David Villa and Mascherano who would you choose for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Berbatov, Huntelaar, Benzema, someone of that ability, not sure if its a done deal yet that he is going back to brazil, but I'd love Rafa to get Ronaldo.

i wouldnt be happy with any of these especially if they cost more than 15m but i cant think of anyone else i'd really want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

You wouldn't be happy with Benzema??

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Given the choice between David Villa and Mascherano who would you choose for us?
    Dunno, depends on what they may cost... if it's value for money on one hand and not so much for the other, my desision would come from that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i wouldnt be happy with any of these especially if they cost more than 15m but i cant think of anyone else i'd really want.

I think Berbatov and Torres would be one of the best striker partnerships to ever play together. Huntelaar could be another RVN or then again he could be another Kuyt or Kezman. Too risky to spend big on him i think. Benzema would be good but as more of a supporting striker with Babel alongside him and behind Torres.

Archimedes wrote: »
    You wouldn't be happy with Benzema??

Despite sounding like a skin condition...he's utd fan apparently.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3033179,00.html

Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

lol, good one :D

Quality player though.

Jaysus Al, who would ya want if none of them wont make ya happy!?

i fear you may end up disappointed even if they yanks spend like mad in the summer in that case so! ;)

• Advertisement

I don't rate berbatov as much as everyone else does - very good player but would be useless for us as he strolls around the pitch and doesn't have the workrate rafa's tactics require.

I havent seen a lot of Benzema but from what i know he likes to play off the striker which isnt what we need, we need a second out and out striker especially if babel is playing left wing.

As Melion said Huntelaar could go very very wrong (as always the risk you take but i dont think he will be another RvN from what i have seen).

if we had 15m 2 weeks ago to spend I would have bough Anelka now I am not sure who's out there in a similar mould.

Doesnt matter a damn tbh, solskjear was a mazzive pool fan until he moved to Utd, now he is a ****ing ambassador at OT!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Doesnt matter a damn tbh, solskjear was a mazzive pool fan until he moved to Utd, now he is a ****ing ambassador at OT!:rolleyes:

For some reason I always liked him. Guess that explains it. What about Cantona?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wingers first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Anyone know is the game tomorrow on TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I havent seen a lot of Benzema but from what i know he likes to play off the striker which isnt what we need, we need a second out and out striker especially if babel is playing left wing.

Doesn't work that well when both front players are very similar, they tend to make the same runs, get in each others way, and basically make it easy to defend against. Thats shown by how the best partnerships tend to always be different types of player, eg Rush & Dalglish/Beardsley, Keegan & Toshack, Cole & Yorke (spit) etc etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

For anybody interested Irishkop are having a quiz night for the Ray Kennedy fund,I will post up more info if anybody is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I don't rate berbatov as much as everyone else does - very good player but would be useless for us as he strolls around the pitch and doesn't have the workrate rafa's tactics require.

Workrate? Rafa's tactics require goals. I couldnt care if he strolls if he's assisting or scoring regularly. For all the ground Kuyt covers, look where we are on the table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

dbnavan wrote: »

Nope, not that I can see.

Workrate? Rafa's tactics require goals. I couldnt care if he strolls if he's assisting or scoring regularly. For all the ground Kuyt covers, look where we are on the table

yes but how much use is it if he scores every third game but costs us a goal at about the same rate due to not tracking his man. Rafa's tactics are very specific on what every player does and i just cant see him doing what he is told in a defensive manner. plus last season he scored one more goal than kuyt and only one more assist.

all academic really as Rafa wouldnt sign him and even if he thought about we cant justify paying what spurs would want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

zAbbo wrote: »
    Nope, not that I can see.

nope, even more surprising considering the last none leauge side at a premiership ground is envolved, will just have to stream the comentry of bbc merseyside

:(

That may well be blocked unless they forget to block non UK IPs.

Mike.

Momo on fire for Mali tonight. Hopefully he can increase his value a bit by keeping up his running and passing. Yes passing. Although the grass looks "knee high" so maybe thats what we needed to do at Anfield to bring Momo more into games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mike65 wrote: »
    That may well be blocked unless they forget to block non UK IPs.

Mike.

you can get lucky sometimes, especaily if you tune in plenty before kick off, can be hit and miss

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Stky10 wrote: »
    "Liverpool fans will win this war"

I hope that is true....I am worried though. If Rafa had this "backing" the mascherano deal would be done and dusted now.

If sissoko goes which is a good thing imo as lucas looks a better player and hel get more chances hopefully wel have a bit of extra cash.

We need a winger - mancini or Quaresma (probably around 15m ?)

We also need another proper striker. Kuyt is not good enough and hopefully hel be sold to raise some money and not to mention voronin. Somehow I cant see kuyt being sold and wel probably sell voronin for about 2m.

It was on sky sports website we that we had scouts watching Huntleaar. Havent seen much of him but could be a good buy. Probably cost about 15-20m?

I wonder would it be a gamble trying to get Adriano from inter? Hes a bit of a donkey at times but hes big and has some shot. If he gets on form he would be lethal.

Berbabtov I reckon is out of the question to expensive...

Palacio from Boca. Ive heard hes lethal but havent seen much. Would he be worth a gamble?

Only problem is if you add these transfers up...

17m for mascherano
    15m for a winger (could be more)
    15-20m for a striker(could be more)

Can anyone see any of this happening? Risse and momo going would just about get us mascherano...

I just dont trust Hicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I see a few heads in here lookin' for the 'pool game tomorrow, this site has never let me down, but unfortunately for tomorrow's game it says maybe!!!
    Worth a looksee tomorrow folks...........goodnight!!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sadly only one channel showing the game (Viasat Sport 2), and that's a foreign channel on Sirius 3 satellite and it's encrypted anyway. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

That's one channel more than were showing it earlier this today - or least liveonsat.com weren't listing it earlier iirc.

The whole Hicks but no Gillet thing atm is a bit odd. Gillet appears to have vanished since Dec and while that could be down to health or personal reasons it's very unusual for the press statements not to at least refer to him. Hicks also used 'I' when speaking of supporting Rafa - not 'George and I' or 'we'. Maybe that was intentional and was about him trying to build bridges but it is unusual non the less to not refer to Gillet in some way.

We also know Foster Gillet disappeared a couple of weeks ago but that was most likely to be involved in these negotiations with the banks and reports this evening say he'll be back next week. And the secretary of Kop Football (Holdings) Ltd resigned last week - whoever that was.
    https://secure.creditgate.com/search/search.aspx?AP=Full%20Non-Limited&CompanyID=06032200&CompanyType=L&BS=1&BT=Full%20Data

byte wrote: »
    Sadly only one channel showing the game (Viasat Sport 2), and that's a foreign channel on Sirius 3 satellite and it's encrypted anyway. :(

might be able to pick it up on tvu hopefully then.... fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

game will be streaming on www.myp2p.eu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

game will be streaming on www.myp2p.eu

Four channels now listed on myp2p (subject to software used etc).

I reckon Gillet is selling out or turning into a sleeping partner.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    turning into a sleeping partner.

Mike.

:eek:

Although it seems apt now that Hicks is done screwing Liverpool over

• Advertisement

BENITEZ WEIGHS UP AIMAR SWOOP

Jan 26 2008
    by David Jones, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ is weighing up a swoop for Argentinian playmaker Pablo Aimar.

The Liverpool boss is looking into the possibility of signing Aimar from Real Zaragoza after being alerted to his availability.

Benitez has managed Aimar previously when the pair worked together at Valencia – a time which Aimar openly admits was his most productive as a player.

Since then he has gone on to star for Zaragoza in La Liga after a £8.5m move from Valencia in July 2006.

Though a hugely popular figure among the Zaragoza fans, Aimar is believed to be ready to test himself in the Premiership and new Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has already registered an interest in taking him to the north east.

But Benitez is monitoring the situation and could be prepared to make a move for Aimar – whom Diego Maradona once described as his "legitimate successor as the world's best player" – if the price is right.

With the transfer window set to close next Thursday, Liverpool would have to move fast if they are to secure a deal for the attacking midfielder. But with the club set to receive a fee in the region of £9m for Momo Sissoko, and Benitez having received the backing of co-owner Tom Hicks, there is nothing to stand in the way of them making an offer.

The 28-year-old has been linked with Liverpool before, shortly after Benitez quit Valencia to take over at Anfield, but no move transpired.

At the time Aimar said: "Rafa Benitez is an excellent coach who knows me very well and Liverpool would be an ideal place to go if I cannot sort out my future here.

"From what I can see, English football is the best in Europe next to Spain and I do not think I would have a problem adapting to the Premiership."

...........................Reina...............................

Finnan........Carra............Agger.........Arbeloa

...........Mascherano...............Alonso.............

.............Gerrard..........Aimar...............Babel

.................................Torres.......................

sweet :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement