Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Are you for real, if you think liverpool are the best side to watch, you have very low standards. Most liverpool fans themselves will admit that its hard to watch them at the best of times

yeah it's IMO as a fan. And based over a lifetime. Put it this way, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch any other English team, even Arsenal. I suppose it's like Wenger said about everyone thinking they have the prettiest wife...
    I would go out of my way to watch a good CL tie (knockout tie of course) or to watch Brazil or Argentina as a neutral. So in my mind LFC are up there with the best of them (to watch).

As for drama, in the last 3 years alone - *******kos, Milan, Luton, West Ham, Barca, Marseille and now this! I'd rather we returned to the good football and less of the drama.

PS Why is Ol ym pia kos starred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oobydooby wrote: »
    we've always been the best side, the best side to watch (IMO) and now we're the best side for drama too!

lol thats some funney **** right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yossi hat-trick. G'wan Al!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

4-2 Yossi Hat trick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

4 - 2, bout time, come on liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

eirebhoy wrote: »
    wow. Didn't realise he was viewed in that way by some Liverpool fans. I think he's excellent.

he is quick and has a nice touch but i he always takes too much out of it and over runs it - i dont rate his intelligence and he loses the ball on a garcia-esc level sometimes.

and now he gets his hat trick! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nailz wrote: »
    4-2 Yossi Hat trick!

Major shock looks v likley now that liverpool have gone 2 ahead lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Great initial strike by Babel too. Slid it between 3 defenders with plenty of power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

KevIRL wrote: »
    Major shock looks v likley now that liverpool have gone 2 ahead lol

wow omg
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

oobydooby wrote: »

PS Why is Ol ym pia kos starred?

its the work ol ym pia thats banned, due to the M C D thing, warnings at the top of the forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Call_me_al wrote: »
    jesus yossi is out to prove me wrong today... nice goal

Yossi's rubbing it in yo face dude ;):p, hatrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

he is quick and has a nice touch but i he always takes too much out of it and over runs it - i dont rate his intelligence and he loses the ball on a garcia-esc level sometimes.
    I actually think he's a really intelligent player. Nothing like Garcia in that department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

event wrote: »
    its the work ol ym pia thats banned, due to the M C D thing, warnings at the top of the forum

thanks. Was wracking my brain looking for double entendres. Anything to not think about the football:o

So If I write about BK's rival, McDonald's I guess that might be starred too. Meh, back to work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Masherano is having a poor enough game, some of his passing is terrible

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Masherano is having a poor enough game, some of his passing is terrible

Not to mention his so-called shooting! Somebody in row Z is having a terrible day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Jeff & Merson can go and suck my bollox too. clowns.

I wouldn't pay any attention to Merson the smackhead, he's a walking advertisement for the perils of professional football. He's back living with his mum and dad now, after pissing the last of his money away.

Well done Kuyt, clap yourself, good lad. Where was that header to? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

wow omg
    :rolleyes:

Behave or you will not be posting here again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

OMG could have been 4-3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nailz wrote: »
    OMG could have been 4-3!

5-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

5-2, Crouch...touch of offside but its given.

Looks like we're conceeding 5th spot to Villa though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Pretty awful debut by Skrtle, messed up in almost every way imaginable. Looked very nervous.

Kuyt - Was that header supposed to be a shot ? He headed it straight at the ground...and he wasnt even marked. Ridiculous.

Yeah twas a shot, must've seen an earthworm he didnt like and thought "Man, next ball I get, you are soooo dead".

If Kuyt truly was an honest player he'd drop the "k" in his first name in favour of a "t"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I actually think he's a really intelligent player. Nothing like Garcia in that department.

agreed! play him off Torres I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Yeah twas a shot, must've seen an earthworm he didnt like and thought "Man, next ball I get, you are soooo dead".

If Kuyt truly was an honest player he'd drop the "k" in his first name in favour of a "t"

or the "k" in his last name with "sh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Tusky wrote: »
    Pretty awful debut by Skrtle, messed up in almost every way imaginable. Looked very nervous.

Was that header supposed to be a shot ? He headed it straight at the ground...and he wasnt even marked. Ridiculous.

ah here give him a chance ffs..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

RAFA OUT!!!!....JURGEN IN!!!!

Sorry, just wanted to get that out there before all the normal Rafa bashers come out of the woodwork

Awful result, didnt see the match so im not going to comment on the performance but judging by what people said we were lucky to be level at half time.

Melion wrote: »
    RAFA OUT!!!!....JURGEN IN!!!!

Sorry, just wanted to get that out there before all the normal Rafa bashers come out of the woodwork

Awful result, didnt see the match so im not going to comment on the performance but judging by what people said we were lucky to be level at half time.

Sorry, I beat you to it earlier after HaW's first goal.

I thought Skrtle was ok. Came into the game later on and made some fine tackles, one where he raced from a corner at the HaW goalmouth back to our half to make a key clean sliding tackle. He's exceptionally quick and with Reina and Carra's guidance could be the new Agger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Skertle was dropped in at the deep end - not fit, new club, a cup game with lower league opponents who would be UP FOR IT. I'm not worried.

As for Benny people keep saying how sh1te he is but I dont recall him ever costing Liverpool a goal while he does score them.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

mike65 wrote: »
    Skertle was dropped in at the deep end - not fit, new club, a cup game with lower league opponents who would be UP FOR IT. I'm not worried.

As for Benny people keep saying how sh1te he is but I dont recall him ever costing Liverpool a goal while he does score them.

Mike.

The Utd game, if Benni had of run out as soon as the corner was taken Tevez would have been offside. But it's an if so we can't really know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

its such a mixed feeling - i feel sick as a liverpool fan but as a football fan delighted for them.

btw Benayoun is one of the worst players we have had at the club since Djimi - as described by football365 once "looks like a west ham player". well maybe not worst but pure mediocrity!

no lets hope he goes on to score now though....

....... eh

wow. Didn't realise he was viewed in that way by some Liverpool fans. I think he's excellent.

Tis a shambles that some pool fans think this way. Tis a very underrated player.

mada999 wrote: »
    ah here give him a chance ffs..

Just because its his debut I'm not allowed critique his performance? I'm confident that with more games he will improve. That doesn't change the fact that it was one of the worst debuts I have seen though.

Tusky wrote: »
    Just because its his debut I'm not allowed critique his performance? I'm confident that with more games he will improve. That doesn't change the fact that it was one of the worst debuts I have seen though.

William Prunier bad?

Melion wrote: »
    William Prunier bad?

He reminded me of Jimmy Traore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Finnan makes a right fool of himself......no wonder he retired from Ireland.

Yeah there were far too many fools in the Ireland set up and they do say it takes on to know one. Good of you to recognise Finnan as one too BTW, what was it I was saying anyway, oh yeah, I think quitting Ireland was the smartest thing Finnan has done, extend his career and leave the mismanaging mistake making FAI to their own badly made devices.

Poor performances in a few positions but on the plus, Lucas looked decent, Skittle will be good enough I think, and fair play to benni, another hat trick for him and will figure more and more as the season goes on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Skittle is going to be a long term replacement to Carra I think and there is noone better out there to learn from at the moment. Fair enough he had a bad day at the office but it will get better for him.

I think part of Rafa's 5 year plan is to get a 4-5-1 formation working for us:
    At the moment I think it would go something like this:

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra
    Agger----Aurelio
    Masch
    Alonso
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Yossi--
    Torres

But he will want some good wingers in the summer for it to work well.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Skittle is going to be a long term replacement to Carra I think and there is noone better out there to learn from at the moment. Fair enough he had a bad day at the office but it will get better for him.

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra
    Agger----Aurelio
    Masch
    Alonso
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Yossi--
    Torres

I will say it again..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54678746&postcount=6252

Agree with everyone on that list bar Arbeloa. I think he is a very good defender and very good prospect for the future.

The majority of the rest are good enough to provide cover for what will eventually be a first team of the below (depending on how long it takes to sign players and if and when the money is forthcoming):

Reina
    Finnan
    Carra
    Agger
    new
    Mascherano

Alonso
    ---new
    Gerard
    Babel---
    Torres

or:

Reina
    Finnan
    Carra
    Agger
    new
    new
    Alonso
    Gerard
    new
    Torres
    new

Arbeloa could evtually replace Finnan depending on how Finnan copes as he gets older.

I am somewhat stumbling in trying to make by points but Rafa seems intent on having a squad of players that can go from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 from week to week. That is reflected in the type of players he has signed.

Pennant is an out and out right winger. Benayoun plays on the right side of an attacking midfield but is not a winger by any means. The same can be said about Kewell. We do not have a genuine out and out left winger but Riise or Aurelio will stick to the touchline. Babel is in the similer ilk to Benayoun and Kewell and can also player off the striker (just like Kewell).

Thus, rafa doing the following (when everyone is available):

Reina
    Finnan
    Carra
    Agger
    Arbeloa
    Mascherano

Alonso
    ---Benayoun
    Gerard
    Kewell--
    Torres

or:

Reina
    Finnan
    Carra
    Agger
    Arbeloa
    Pennant
    Alonso
    Gerard
    Kewell
    Torres
    Kuyt

He tends to improvise somewhat if someone is not available. The United match yesterday would have seen Pennant on the right wing is he was fit.

So, in the future, we will see the following (names may change slightly but I am doing my best to show where the current squad fits in):

First team: Backups:
    Reina
    Finnan...............Arbeloa
    Carragher...........new
    Agger................Hypia then Hobbs
    new..................Riise. Aurelio could have been bought as the long term first team choice. Unlikely though.
    new................Benayoun
    new..................Pennant
    Alonso...............Lucas
    Mascherano........Sissoko
    Gerard...............Lucas
    new..................Leto
    Babel................Kewell
    Torres...............Kuyt
    new..................Crouch

Have confused myself with that list but I think I have summed up what way I see Rafa going. Those marked as new are positions that will be filled with players of a higher quality to what we have available to us now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tis a shambles that some pool fans think this way. Tis a very underrated player.

+1 for Yossi being a good player.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sorry man, it was only the Aimar story made me think about it. Rafa's tactics really do suit 4-5-1 and I think he is nearly there with the team he wants.

Yossi is an animal player. He doesn't waste the ball as much as Garcia and thats 2 games he bailed us out in this season and got a hat trick for his troubles both times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

jonny24ie wrote: »

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra
    Agger----Aurelio
    Masch
    Alonso
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Yossi--
    Torres

He wants to get rid of the 4 As to make such a system work - Arbeloa, Agger, Aurelio and Alonso. They are not good enough to mount a serious Premiership title challenge. I reckon Babel has potential for the future but isn't quite good enough yet. I don't think such a defensive system is suited for the PL however as Fergie found out a few seasons ago.

A team of the following would work for Liverpool in my view:

Reina
    Finnan---Carragher
    Dunne----Bale or Bridge
    Masch
    Aimar
    Gerrard
    Benayoun or Modric
    Torres
    Defoe

Unfortunately for the Scousers they have too much tosh like Kewell and Riise who just aren't good enough.

He wants to get rid of the 4 As to make such a system work - Arbeloa, Agger, Aurelio and Alonso. They are not good enough to mount a serious Premiership title challenge.

Arbeloa and Aurelio, ok I can concede that neither are phenomenal but Agger and Alonso have been immense servants to LFC and still have a lot to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

He wants to get rid of the 4 As to make such a system work - Arbeloa, Agger, Aurelio and Alonso. They are not good enough to mount a serious Premiership title challenge. I reckon Babel has potential for the future but isn't quite good enough yet. I don't think such a defensive system is suited for the PL however as Fergie found out a few seasons ago.

Reina
    Finnan---Carragher
    Dunne----Bale or Bridge
    Masch
    Aimar
    Gerrard
    Benayoun or Modric
    Torres
    Defoe

Unfortunately for the Scousers they have too much tosh like Kewell and Riise who just aren't good enough.

Having no Agger and to a lesser extent Arbeloa in your team really demonstrates you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about....

Reina
    Finnan---Carragher
    Dunne----Bale or Bridge
    Masch
    Aimar
    Gerrard
    Benayoun or Modric
    Torres
    Defoe

You dont think Agger and Alonso are good enough. What the hell is wrong with you? Any argument you put forward became null and void once you said that. And to be honest, playing Pablo Aimar on the right wing just shows how little you know.

Reina
    Finnan---Carragher
    Dunne----Bale or Bridge
    Masch
    Aimar
    Gerrard
    Benayoun or Modric
    Torres
    Defoe

oh...my...god. Alonso & Agger arent good enough ? Foolish. Arebloa has been great for us as well.

Yet you put Dafoe in the team ? No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just watching MOTD now... Lucas's goal was a cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

also just watching MOTD now.

as great as this story is, Havant being in front twice, its really annoying how much the BBC are milking it. Every touch is a "Fantastic touch from a bin-man" and every pass is "inch perfect" and every sentence has "part-timers" in it.

As nice it is to see stuff like this i reckon the BBC overdid it.

EDIT: Just seen the perfect example. For the Skrtel OG, Lee Dixon said "The kid gets lucky, then hes got to score, he composes himself and look at the technique on that." Technique meaning hitting it off a defenders face and watch it trickle in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You see, that's what makes the FA cup special. The fact that BBC didn't choose to show the Havant replay at home to Swansea in the last round (they showed a bore fest between City and West Ham instead); or neither them or Sky made room for live coverage of this tie today means that they have no right to complain if premiership sides put out second rate teams in the early rounds. This is what makes the cup competitions magic. It's stuff like this that makes me love football. To decide to show Wigan vs Chelsea instead makes all the platitudes on MOTD meaningless.

Fair play to the fans in the KOP staying to give Havant a standing ovation after the match. Classy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement