Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tom Hicks is due to be interviewed on Sportsweek at 9 AM on BBC 5live in the morning so set your alarms or download the show later. :)

Gary Richardson is known to like asking the odd awkward question so it'll be worth a listen hopefully. Dunno if its live or off tape.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

6 hour (?) time difference between Dallas & London. My guess would be pre recorded

Wonder what he'll say this time to piss us all off again. Has he not learned to keep his mouth shut by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mike65 wrote: »
    Dunno if its live or off tape.

Mike.

was he over for the game? otherwise if he is stateside i doubt it's live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Yossi is an animal player. He doesn't waste the ball as much as Garcia and thats 2 games he bailed us out in this season and got a hat trick for his troubles both times.

Wasn't his other hat-trick against Besiktas? So, he bailed you out of a game you won 8-0:D

But when the goals are scored that matters.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Nunu wrote: »
    Wasn't his other hat-trick against Besiktas? So, he bailed you out of a game you won 8-0:D

Yeah but it was a close 8-0 :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nunu wrote: »

yup sorry forgot what I was typong half way through, but yossi has scored some important goals for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Tom Hicks is due to be interviewed on Sportsweek at 9 AM on BBC 5live in the morning so set your alarms or download the show later. :)

Gary Richardson is known to like asking the odd awkward question so it'll be worth a listen hopefully. Dunno if its live or off tape.

Mike.
    Thanks for that Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Arbeloa and Aurelio, ok I can concede that neither are phenomenal but Agger and Alonso have been immense servants to LFC and still have a lot to give.

They won't give you a title challenge I am sure of that.
    Call_me_al wrote:
    Having no Agger and to a lesser extent Arbeloa in your team really demonstrates you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about....

I know what I'm talking about. Remind me how many league titles Agger and Alonso have helped Liverpool to? Oh that's right - ZERO.
    Melion wrote:
    You dont think Agger and Alonso are good enough. What the hell is wrong with you?

I understand football. ;)
    Melion wrote:
    Any argument you put forward became null and void once you said that. And to be honest, playing Pablo Aimar on the right wing just shows how little you know.

If you don't think Aimar can play on the right then it shows how little you know. Should Benitez acquire his services I'm sure that's where he'll utilise him.
    Tusky wrote:
    oh...my...god. Alonso & Agger arent good enough ? Foolish. Arebloa has been great for us as well.

Yet you put Dafoe in the team ? No thanks.

I'm beginning to understand why your team is currently fifth and light years behind the top three sides. You have no clue what kind of talent is required to sustain a genuine title challenge.

Fine by me though cos I'm a very content United fan. Up Havant! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ha, your Agger comment is one of the most moronic things i have ever heard.

• Advertisement

I know what I'm talking about. Remind me how many league titles Agger and Alonso have helped Liverpool to? Oh that's right - ZERO.

If you don't think Aimar can play on the right then it shows how little you know. Should Benitez acquire his services I'm sure that's where he'll utilise him.

I'm beginning to understand why your team is currently fifth and light years behind the top three sides. You have no clue what kind of talent is required to sustain a genuine title challenge.

just coz your team has won the league doesnt mean YOU know what to do to win one, pure pretentiousness on your part....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

I think there are plenty of players in our squad good enough to win the premiership (nearly one for every position actually). However, I don't think its going to happen with the rotation applied. How are players supposed to settle in and learn how to play with each other when the team changes every week? I don't think any team has every won the premiership (probably even the league in the longer term) with the level of rotation Benitez uses. People may find stats to deny this but Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Dalglish etc all had solid cores and fairly stable formations.

What are we to believe, Rafa will buy one or two players, be happy with them, keep the team stable and suddenly win the premiership? Like flicking a switch - much as I'd like to believe it I don't. I know this is a much argued point but thats my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The reason you have got a bad reaction is that you have picked out some of our best players. Alonso & Agger would be amongst our best & Arbeloa has been in the top 3 performers this year. That is why its a moronic, ill informed, laughable statement. Not because you were saying that the team wasnt good enough, but by picking out players who definitely are good enough.

And how does fans perception of how good the players are have anything to do with the teams league standing ? Talking out of your arse mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Remind me how many league titles Agger and Alonso have helped Liverpool to? Oh that's right - ZERO.
    I agree with you on Agger, but Alonso is quite a good footballer... he would shine brightly at a top 3 club.
    I'm beginning to understand why your team is currently fifth and light years behind the top three sides.
    Sixth actually...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nailz wrote: »
    I agree with you on Agger, but Alonso is quite a good footballer... he would shine brightly at a top 3 club.

Sixth actually...

Lol.. You do realise that you are about the 1000th troll that has graced various team threads in this forum in the past week, yeah? Give it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Trolling, how? I corrected him, is that against the boards.ie rules now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Nailz wrote: »
    Trolling, how? I corrected him, is that against the boards.ie rules now?

Top 3 club ? Liverpool came 3rd the last two seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Tusky wrote: »
    Top 3 club ? Liverpool came 3rd the last two seasons.

You know yourself that Liverpool aren't up there with the other 3 in terms of quality at the moment.

what uis it all united fans keep telling us that the league table at the end of the season tells the story. the double standards around here are ridiculous.

keep moving the goalposts as much as you want...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ha, your Agger comment is one of the most moronic things i have ever heard.

What comment would that be? That Agger isn't good enough to help Liverpool win the league? Don't see how it's moronic when he hasn't helped them win it! Sorry if the truth hurts. If you want to find really moronic comments go back to the start of the season when Liverpool fans were talking about how this was going to be their season after about a month or two of action.
    Tusky wrote: »
    The reason you have got a bad reaction is that you have picked out some of our best players. Alonso & Agger would be amongst our best & Arbeloa has been in the top 3 performers this year. That is why its a moronic, ill informed, laughable statement. Not because you were saying that the team wasnt good enough, but by picking out players who definitely are good enough.

But I haven't picked out your best players. I really don't get the fascination with Agger or Alonso. I never said they were BAD players I am saying they aren't good enough to win you the title. It's hardly 'moronic' or 'laughable' to state this since Liverpool have come up short at this point in the season for two seasons running now. You need a major overhaul, man.
    Tusky wrote:
    And how does fans perception of how good the players are have anything to do with the teams league standing ? Talking out of your arse mate.

I'll tell you how - because you are deluded, much like Newcastle fans, in thinking you can achieve far more than you can with what you have available to you. Benitez will NOT bring you the title you so desperately seek because he has brought average to good players to the club whilst Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have been buying proven quality players.

You can make all the personal comments you want towards me and make all the Dunphy-esque sound bytes but the league table and Saturday's farce speaks volumes. Just not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

What comment would that be? That Agger isn't good enough to help Liverpool win the league? Don't see how it's moronic when he hasn't helped them win it! Sorry if the truth hurts. If you want to find really moronic comments go back to the start of the season when Liverpool fans were talking about how this was going to be their season after about a month or two of action.

Whatever your opinion on Agger, you reasoning doesn't hold up. Gerrard hasn't helped Liverpool win the league either does that make him not good enough?

Rosicky hasn't helped Arsenal win the league either.

It basically comes down to your opinion that you don't rate Agger highly enough, that's fair enough, opinions are like arseholes etc....but to assert that it's fact because it hasn't happened yet is bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

what double standard do you mean Al? the league table never lies, you are always in the position you deserve to be in the league, and yes, the end of the season table tell the full story of how your team performed that year. i dont go along with the theory that alonso isnt good enough to be in a title winning team, agger either but i dont think he is quite as good as pool fans seem to believe, i think alonso is a fantastic player.... i dont think the current liverpool squad is good enough to win the league, maybe liverpool fans disagree and fair play to them, everyone has an opinion

rafa's way of approaching games is what hurts liverpool most though imo, he always focuses on stopping the other teams tactically rather then developing a style of play for the team and imposing that on the opponents, i.e. united, arsenal, or to go further afield hoping to avoid controversy, madrid or barca

this is why i feel liverpool are now a cup team, winning the league takes consistency and how can a team develop that kind of consistency when the team is constantly changing and the tactics also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Look, the league table never lies. If Man Utd are last after 3 games of a season, people will say 'but Man Utd shouldn't be last'. But of those first 3 games, they probably deserve to be last. The table is not an overall reflection of how good a team - its an indicator of how good they have been up to that given time. So Liverpool finished 3rd the last two seasons - yes, and you deserved to. Your 6th now - because you deserve to be there. The difference being that the teams that finished below you last season have not only upped their performances but your performance levels have dropped. If Liverpool end up finishing 3rd, then you deserve to finish there as it will only come about through your own higher standard of performance or the other teams' around you playing poorly (which would leave you third by process of elimination, although you could argue thats how titles are won aswell).

Regarding Daniel Agger. Now I may not have the best opinion of Liverpool, but I can admit any day of the week when you have a good player. Torres is exceptional. Gerrard is exceptional. Mascherano is very, very good. Babel is one of the best young players in the league. But Daniel Agger, in my opinion, is nothing more than a good, if not average player. And thats fine when you compare him against the defenders of teams you usually finish in front of - he could probably walk into the first 11 of any of them. But compare him to the other big 3's central defenders - Ferdinand, Terry, Vidic, Carvalho, Toure, Gallas, even his defensive partner Jamie Carragher - and theres a big difference in quality. Yes, I know - he's a good enough player and will suffice until other area's are strengthened, such as wingers and a striker to partner Torres, but I dont buy that he is good enough to be a long term first-choice at Liverpool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Breaking News!

god has visted earth from heaven and said that Utd are actually the more gifted club and have been granted his eternal blessing.

wat most fans could comprehend of this holy act is the fact that they may have been so intertwined between their own arses that the good news may not have been delivered. in fact, some red devils fans have been smelling their own farts for years but have been confusing them with the natural smell of all thats right with the world.

as ive said before - bull****ting up their arse utd fans are just as bad as liverpool fans who take up residence in imagination land

Jazzy wrote: »
    Breaking News!

god has visted earth from heaven and said that Utd are actually the more gifted club and have been granted his eternal blessing.

wat most fans could comprehend of this holy act is the fact that they may have been so intertwined between their own arses that the good news may not have been delivered. in fact, some red devils fans have been smelling their own farts for years but have been confusing them with the natural smell of all thats right with the world.

as ive said before - bull****ting up their arse utd fans are just as bad as liverpool fans who take up residence in imagination land

Thats just embarassing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jazzy wrote: »
    Breaking News!

would you care to explain that pathetic rant/attempt at humour/brain fart?

not exactly sure what i posted as a united fan there that is sooooooo up our arse, thought i gave a balanced opinion tbh, actually, i know i did, why bother posting anything at all if it the only form of conversation you have is displaying ignorance?

just the usual **** of not having anything constructive to say but bored so you try to start a row? fair play. your a legend of the boards :rolleyes:

tell you what, ill make it simple for you, can you just answer one question

where was the bull**** in the last 2 posts before yours?

*patiently waits for nonsensical smart arse reply*

God Hicks was pushing the stadium a lot!! Also BBC are very much implying he is lying regarding selling his share to DIC.

But Hicks said they have never turned down money for Rafa and he is willing to pay for Mascherano to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

- I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Mr. Nice Guy and assume that he is deliberately trolling this thread;

- League tables after 23 games of a 38 game season are kinda irrelevant. It is the final table that matters. Liverpool will either have made progress on last season after 38 games or they will have regressed. Where they are now means that the league is beyond them. But it is not conclusive proof that they are currently the 6th best team in the land. lol if you believe that. There is still little reason to believe that we will not have the same top - four as last season when the dust settles in May. And Liverpool can still achieve more points than they did last season. So whatever;

Well my reading is that Gillet will sell out his share to DIC, and that at some point DIC will move to take total contol - whether that takes a few months or a few years is the only issue I think.

(I think this thread should be locked after 1 am cos the amount of sh-i-te that gets posted in the small hours is damaging!)

Mike.

• Advertisement

i dunno about locking it but how about an IQ test to get in... At least that way we would know the people spouting all this crap are purely trolling and really are more intelligent.

So from that interview was he telling the truth do you think? Best stadium in the world, i dont even believe that, Rafa to stay until at least his contract ends and no intention of selling his stake?

I dunno myself, all seemed a bit too rosey and considering there is never any smoke without fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

You should take anything they say with a pinch of salt. PR talk tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    - League tables after 23 games of a 38 game season are kinda irrelevant. It is the final table that matters. Liverpool will either have made progress on last season after 38 games or they will have regressed. Where they are now means that the league is beyond them. But it is not conclusive proof that they are currently the 6th best team in the land. lol if you believe that. There is still little reason to believe that we will not have the same top - four as last season when the dust settles in May. And Liverpool can still achieve more points than they did last season. So whatever;

Of course the table after 23 games is relevant. It shows Liverpool have done enough to be in sixth place. Nothing more. The league table doesn't lie whether it's after three games, twenty three games or all thirty eight. League titles are won on the pitch, not paper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

BBC 5 Live's Sportsweek

Hicks was on this morning,you can pod cast it.

Just listened to the interview Hicks is saying that he was willing to sell 15% of the club to DIC but that is all.

Also said he and Gillette had a big falling out over all this but is sorted out now and here for the long haul but wouldn't rule out outside investment.He also went on to say "There is no question in my mind that I will still be an owner of Liverpool Football Club in five years," he told BBC 5 Live's Sportsweek programme.

Here is a Link

Heres the latest Guardian version of events

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2247768,00.html
    DIC consider the refinancing a waste of club money that could have been spent on the team or the stadium and attempted to prevent it by offering to buy the club for £500m last week. Sources at the Arab investment group insist that Hicks and Gillett indicated their intention to sell during takeover talks, but only after the new loan had gone through.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Of course the table after 23 games is relevant. It shows Liverpool have done enough to be in sixth place. Nothing more. The league table doesn't lie whether it's after three games, twenty three games or all thirty eight. League titles are won on the pitch, not paper.

I guess we'll have to wait until we play 23 games then, if Liverpool win, they go third, is one game the difference between a 6th placed team and a 3rd placed team ?. At the end of the season, yes, right now though? hmmm probably not.

@Mr.Nice Guy / Kyrogen / ManU Supporters

I more than welcome discussion about our team from various football fans, but why does it always seem to be ManU supporters obsession with all things Liverpool

It only serves to sidetrack the discussion here, when some ManU fan comes on and decides for about the 1000th time on this thread to explain what's wrong with Liverpool, this usually involves getting rid of some our best players (like Agger & Alonso), getting rid of Rafa, buying in ridiculous players and playing them out of position (Aimar lol) or generally showing off there pants knowledge of football.

I'm absolutely fooking sick of it, and as soon as someone calls troll on your actions, you get all defensive (Who, me , OMG I am so not trolling, zomg I am just having some banter)....

I had a quick glance at the ManU thread, and it's a world of fooking difference to this pathetic trollfest, so all I'm asking is before you post, just take a quick moment and decide if what you're going to post will actually contribute to the Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008 thread, and while you're at it, think long & hard about why you really care about Liverpool anyway ?, maybe close the window, and go back and relax, read the ManU thread....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Dub13 wrote: »
    Just listened to the interview Hicks is saying that he was willing to sell 15% of the club to DIC but that is all.

So the negotiations are well and truly underway. Wonder how much he will get in the end for his 50%?

Agreed. To all Utd fans (in particular) unless you have something intelligent/interesting to add stay off the thread.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

* Splashes the holy water

I cast you out!!! Unclean spirit...! in thename of the Lord Jesus Christ!!! It is he who commands you! He who flung you from the heights of Heaven to the depths of hell!

Be gone!! In the name of the Father, and of the son, and of the
    holy spirit!! By this sign of the holy cross, of our Lord Jesus
    Christ, who lives and reigns with the father and the holy
    spirit...

I command you by the judge of the living and the dead, to depart
    from this Thread of God. It's the power of Christ, that compels you.

* More water.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just wait for all the responses stating that its a discussion thread asking why should they not allowed be in here to spout their opinions.

Still laughing at Agger and Alonso not being good enough because they havent won a title for us. Fabregas, Rosicky, Adebayor, Tevez, Nani, Anderson mustnt be good enough either.

Oh and Aimar on the right wing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

'A spokesman for Hicks said that £50m of that sum has already been spent on consultancy and design. Further planning permission is required on the new structure.'

Bargain...
    ...zOMG.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find every thinks the poster who said Agger wasn't good enough because he hasnt won you a league was talking ****e.

You lot cant take a bit of criticism - youre playing sh*te at the moment, youve even admitted that yourselves but nobody seems to be allowed say it but yereselves. But guaran-f*cking-teed if this was United playing rubbish you'd be doing the exact same thing in our thread. We're on great form and it sickens you so you have nothing bad to say about us which means you have nothing to say at all. But as soon as we offer our opinion you get on your high horse and declare trolling. How have your own ideas worked so far? Play Gerrard in his proper position? didnt work. Sign a world class striker? Didnt work. Invest heavily in the summer? Didnt work.

But by all means declare this trolling, because its what you do best when you cant handle the truth.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I think you'll find every thinks the poster who said Agger wasn't good enough because he hasnt won you a league was talking ****e.

You lot cant take a bit of criticism - youre playing sh*te at the moment, youve even admitted that yourselves but nobody seems to be allowed say it but yereselves. But guaran-f*cking-teed if this was United playing rubbish you'd be doing the exact same thing in our thread. We're on great form and it sickens you so you have nothing bad to say about us which means you have nothing to say at all. But as soon as we offer our opinion you get on your high horse and declare trolling. How have your own ideas worked so far? Play Gerrard in his proper position? didnt work. Sign a world class striker? Didnt work. Invest heavily in the summer? Didnt work.

But by all means declare this trolling, because its what you do best when you cant handle the truth.

+1 for all that.

The criticism of Liverpool is deserved whether it comes from their own fans or opposing fans. These constant accusations of trolling if the opinion doesn't suit your club are b*llox

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We know all that and we dont mind discussing it with people who actually talk sense(well i dont mind anyway). Its the people coming in here who dont have a clue what they are talking about and start stating things like certain players just arent good enough that annoys people. They IMO are just in here looking for an argument so they can start banging on about how United are top of the table and are certainties to win the league again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Do you read much?

I'm pretty sure that we're well aware of the problems we're having.

The issues with certain posters is that it's the same **** rehashed even tho the chat has moved on from it.

So you can whinge and moan about how you feel we can't take criticism but quite frankly it's not criticism, it's thinly veiled attempts to rile us.

read this again

kaimera wrote: »
    read this again

lol, those two posts pwn so hard.

Its said Evertonians check to see if Liverpool have lost before they see if thier team has won. I think a certain class of Mancs on this board are similair.

Mike.

How have your own ideas worked so far?

Again, why do you fervently wish for us to get it right? Would you be happier if the current fortunes of the two clubs were reversed? Or are you just the guy who just likes landing the cheap shots when your opponent is on the canvas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A lot of the non pool fans negative comments are quite correct and quite deserving, its just that for the past month or so, its been the same comments over and over and over again. We're vastly under performing. we get it. But christ there are other things to talk about.

Its said Evertonians check to see if Liverpool have lost before they see if thier team has won. I think a certain class of Mancs on this board are similair.

Mike.

Is that a referal to blue mancs as well? If not I'd prefer you distinguise between us in future because City fans certainly don't look out for Liverpool's score before our own. There are two teams in Manchester. Thanks

I said a certain class - Red not Blue. Any Liverpool fan knows who Mancs refers to. You're Citeh :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement