Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I am guessing that many fans are preferring to blame the board rather than the manager for liverpool's recent slump in form. With all this talk of the fans trying to buy out the yanks, who is to say, that they would even consider selling it. They had the oppuritunity to sell it to the arabs, but choose not too.

point a) Everyone at the club is to blame for their part in the current problems, it doesn't rest with any one party.

point b) Thats their prerogative. All anyone can do is try and get together an attractive offer and let the chips fall as they may.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

jank wrote: »
    100,000 liverpool fans to stump up 5,000 each?

Well liverpool fans dont have £5,000 and i dont think there are 100,000 liverpool fans!

If anyone had any doubts as to what you are all about, this post sums it up perfectly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Genuine question: If Liverpool dont qualify for the Champions League next season is there a chance that things could go the way Leeds did (although probably not to that extreme) given the debts they have and how lucrative Champions League qualification is...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

actually i think if the fans group could offer a price that would represent a profit for G&H i think they would take our hand off (feels great saying that!:)i know i shouldnt but i've already gotten excited about the prospect of this)

reasons are as follows......G&H are obviously not getting on, cant remember the last time they released a joint statement. They are obviously not in this for the long haul, all the talks of DIC etc coming in was too much for it just to be tabloid talk, also it was never denied by DIC-they were/are definately in the market to sell if they can find someone to give them a tidy profit.Selling out to DIC would almost be like admitting failure, selling out to a bigger more successful company, however if the fans buy it, all they will say is, "they always said they were custodians of the club and they are willing to sell to the fans as its their club anyway" which would keep their reps intact

i wouldnt write the idea off just yet, the people behind this initiative are not stupid.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Genuine question: If Liverpool dont qualify for the Champions League next season is there a chance that things could go the way Leeds did (although probably not to that extreme) given the debts they have and how lucrative Champions League qualification is...?

It would take a lot more then non champions league qualification for that. Like, a huge amount more. Champs league nets about 30mill, worst case scenario, we just don't get a transfer budget next year, and maybe sell Kuyt or Voronin and promote a youth up as 4th choice forward. Sure it would set us back a bit in trying to get a challenge together, but the club would be in no danger. Should still be comfortably in a position to at least get 4th the following year. In fact id say more then a few fans would not mind it happening at all, would be like starting off again this year, but without any distractions to take the focus off the league.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    i wouldnt write the idea off just yet, the people behind this initiative are not stupid.

Thats the thing thats stopping me from disregarding it as well. This isn't like someone from RTK started going on with a pipe dream, the driving force is a guy with a doctorate in the area. If they're proposing it, they've obviously done their homework. Ill still not get carried away, but it definately deserves our attentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'm sure Liverpool's form will pick up (it has to, really), the last few seasons Liverpool have put together strong runs around this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The server for http://shareliverpoolfc.com is already creaking.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    The server for www.shareliverpool.com is already creaking.

Mike.

All I'm getting is some google personalised webpage :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The server for www.shareliverpool.com is already creaking.

Mike.

Looks pretty drab I must say - not a lot of info there

• Advertisement

All I'm getting is some google personalised webpage :confused:

its meant to be http://www.shareliverpoolfc.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

from the FAQ
    Yes, but £5,000 is a lot of money. Won’t
    many Liverpool fans be effectively priced
    out of something they’d love to take part in?

Take your point. We don’t want to see any Liverpool fan excluded. We will seek to provide opportunities for groups of fans to purchase one ‘member share’ (carrying one vote) between them, providing they can nominate one individual
    to represent them.

Boardsie share?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Please look up the meaning of PIPE DREAM!

Cant see H&G cashing in till the stadium in built anyway and even then they will invariable sell and leaseback the stadium to pay off their own debt before cashing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Boardsie share?

Mike.

i cant afford the 5k being a student and all but that is an interesting idea and one i'd be interested in. very hard to organise though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

from the FAQ

Boardsie share?

Mike.

Deffo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i cant afford the 5k being a student and all but that is an interesting idea and one i'd be interested in. very hard to organise though..

If it goes ahead I am sure we will have a go at it on Irishkop.

Pinging shareliverpoolfc.com [69.72.172.122] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Reply from 137.223.140.7: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 69.72.172.122:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Alonso is on TG4 Tonight

I just heard on the radio that tonight Hector meets Alonso on TG4,I heard about this a while ago so hope its good.Its on at 9:30.

server seems to have died, not a good start.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    Alonso is on TG4 Tonight

I just heard on the radio that tonight Hector meets Alonso on TG4,I heard about this a while ago so hope its good.Its on at 9:30.

Goody goody. Hector is really annoying but hopefully we'll get to see some of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

im suprised more people havent said that they would pay £5000

get a loan ffs, this is YOUR club lads, you could have a say in it. A chance to get it out of the hands of G+H (which going by the last few weeks you all want), yet people are talking about not being able to afford it, doing a boardie share etc.

I would have jumped at the chance to do this when leeds were being pimped around to everyone and anyone

Dub13 wrote: »
    If it goes ahead I am sure we will have a go at it on Irishkop.

my login seems to have been deleted to irishkop, do they delete inactive members?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

event wrote: »

get a loan ffs, this is YOUR club lads, you could have a say in it. A chance to get it out of the hands of G+H (which going by the last few weeks you all want), yet people are talking about not being able to afford it, doing a boardie share etc.

I would have jumped at the chance to do this when leeds were being pimped around to everyone and anyone

very stupid thing to say, it's not that simple for everyone!

The site seems to be doing a bit better now:

Share Liverpool FC is a group of Liverpool fans, advised by some
    of the foremost experts in supporter and co-operative ownership
    in football. It includes:

Leading the initiative:

Rogan Taylor, Kop season ticket holder and LFC fan for over
    forty years; founder member and Chair of the Football Supporters’ Association, launched in Liverpool after the Heysel Stadium Disaster in 1985. Rogan is currently the Director of the Football Industry Group at the University of Liverpool.

Advising the group:

Supporters Direct: The organisation that assists in the formation of supporters’ trusts, and assists them in gaining equity and democratic representation at their clubs.

Kevin Jaquiss, of the law firm, Cobbetts, the top UK firm for
    co-operative and mutual law which has played a leading role
    in the development of mutuals and co-operatives in housing, health and education. Kevin was part of the group which developed the Supporters Trust concept and wrote the model constitution which is now used by over 100 trusts in England, Wales and Scotland.

event wrote: »

very seriously considering a loan for one, but before i commit to it I'm gonna have to see how it plays out over the next few days and what the reaction is.

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote: »
    my login seems to have been deleted to irishkop, do they delete inactive members?

I just sent you a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    very stupid thing to say, it's not that simple for everyone!

i know that, but if you got a loan over 5 years its £20 a week. not that much for the club you love

BTW, i would only suggest this if it was a proper idea, im not suggesting ye throw money at a half assed idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Please tell me I've got the wrong link

used www.shareliverpoolfc.com

Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.

If they can't fund a website....... Maybe its just a technical glitch.

I like the idea - I'd talk to a couple of fellow fans and see about a share involving 4 people perhaps. Don't seriously see G&H selling in the short term and like others I'd keep a watching brief and see if it gets more serious. Problem is if too many people do that it won't go anywhere.

Event is right (doesnt happen often!:))

interesting to see how this all works out!

Boardsie £5000- think of the arguments at election time!

well the account has exceeded its bandwidth - so there either must be a lot of interest or its on a crappy server.

• Advertisement

I seriously hope those involved can manage a football club better than they can a website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

It'll be funny when all that money isn't returned after the owners tell them to feck off

is this the beginning of the Utd fans telling Liverpool fans how stupid we are? possibly.

before you do, please watch this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEOkxRLzBf0

will the idea work? maybe not.

is it worth a shot? definately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

empirix wrote: »

You could of thought past the title word Mr Alan. :p

'Imagine no possessions' is hardly the best sentiment to a proposed purchase.

a proposed purchase with no return, other than knowing the club wont be bought and sold like a cheap whore :)

i'm very melodramatic today!

is this the beginning of the Utd fans telling Liverpool fans how stupid we are? possibly.

Not at all, I think its very admirable that the fans are willing to go to these measures to prevent what could be Liverpool's eventual downfall, and I hope it works. I love playing you twice a season, and dont want that to change. I just think, in my own honest opinion, that it might be a bit futile as Hicks is a stubborn bast*rd who is more inclined to tell this group to get on their bike instead of selling.

But most people accept that Hicks is not in this for the long run and was negotiating with DIC up until very recently....so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Excuse my ignorance but how would transfer funds work of the club was owned by the fans ?

Same way as they do at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

The thing with Hicks is he can't be seen to fail with his current ownership of the club - both in terms of possible ramifications for his other teams but more importantly for his business 'empire' as a whole. The later is by far the most important for him.

He will only walk away if it can be spun that he has made his money out of it. And that can only happen if someone offers well over the odds for the club. It won't matter who the would be purchaser is - it'll have to be silly money.

One wonders where Gillet lies in all this. Early indications were that he wanted to do the right thing and be a custodian of the club. If he does want rid of Hicks then this initiative could be ideal for him. He keeps a large shareholding and the fans get the rest ? Or he could be as big a pr1ck as Hicks..

• Advertisement

see as i said earlier, i think the fan buy-out is actually Hicks best option for leaving....

if DIC come in and buy it, they will be selling to a massive company who are more successful and have far more resources than them, that'll surely hurt his fat american ego.

BUT-

If sold to the fans, the Hicks propaganda machine can roll into action and spin it as him "giving" the club back to the fans, albeit for a healthy profit. and that will do his ego no harm and might even help his image world wide and in future business dealings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Hows about they take that 500 million, and just give it to the club under the proviso that its only used for transfers? Nice tasty transfer bucket right there. :rolleyes:

but then those clowns still own the club, its riddled with debt which they are trying to finance as well as ploughing all available profits back to the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

If sold to the fans, the Hicks propaganda machine can roll into action and spin it as him "giving" the club back to the fans, albeit for a healthy profit. and that will do his ego no harm and might even help his image world wide and in future business dealings

Agree that it could be spun better than selling out to DIC. However the problem for him with a fan buyout is that supporters of his other clubs might get the same idea. Sure he could make even more money that way but he could still be perceived to have failed which would be very bad for his image - considering he makes his living by getting other people to give him money to invest in companies/funds on their behalf.

Again Gillet could be the key - wherever he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Tusky wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but how would transfer funds work of the club was owned by the fans ?

Wondering this myself. How does it work at Barca - club profits/turnover/tv rights etc? Mr. Alan, a bit more elaboration would be helpful. Would the club return to the fans for funds. If it has to be funded by profits we could be shagged. What about funding for the stadium? Would the club end up with debt to cover that?

Is there any info on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well ye have finally got Mascherano for 18.6 million

not all bad news is it?

on sky sports news

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Delighted by the breaking news on SSN

Masch signed on a 4 year contract for £18.6m

Good stuff. Still a few hours to sign up David Silva as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Jari Litmanen's signed for Fulham - hope he does well (except against us), he was a great player for us but criminally underused.

• Advertisement

We haven't signed Masch yet.

From the official site;
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158670080131-1956.htm

Meanwhile, contrary to reports elsewhere, the deal to complete Javier Mascherano's permanent move to Liverpool has yet to be finalised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement