Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I must admit, i am a little confused by the stick Rafa is getting for the selection and formation on saturday.....

as far as i was concerned, we lined up 3-5-2 with pennant as our right winger and aurelion as our left winger? Lucas was given a free role in midfield was he not? granted he spent most of it on the left side, but that doesnt make him a "winger" and he wasnt really played as such imo.

and as for the above article claiming Skyrtle(sp) was unconvincing? i actually thought he was about our best player on Saturday, showed that the couple of dodgy moments in his debut, were, hopefully, just nerves-looked really solid. Carra playing on the right of a back three with Hypia on the left is not even NEARLY a ****ing issue, just gutter papers and silly fans trying to make something out of nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I must admit, i am a little confused by the stick Rafa is getting for the selection and formation on saturday.....

as far as i was concerned, we lined up 3-5-2 with pennant as our right winger and aurelion as our left winger? Lucas was given a free role in midfield was he not? granted he spent most of it on the left side, but that doesnt make him a "winger" and he wasnt really played as such imo.

and as for the above article claiming Skyrtle(sp) was unconvincing? i actually thought he was about our best player on Saturday, showed that the couple of dodgy moments in his debut, were, hopefully, just nerves-looked really solid. Carra playing on the right of a back three with Hypia on the left is not even NEARLY a ****ing issue, just gutter papers and silly fans trying to make something out of nothing.

Oi, stop that!!! You're talking sense, we dont take kindly to that around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I was at the game on Saturday so i might not have had the advantage of seeing it from overhead on TV but I thought we lined up in a 3-5-2 formation

I was surprised when I saw everyone giving out about Carra playing at right back because it looked to me like Pennant and Aurelio were playing as wing backs

I think when Finnan came on he didn't get forward much and Pennant wasn't really required to track back which is why some people thought we were playing 4-4-2

I thought Skyrtle played very well, Styevie G was fairly anonymous and that Mascherano was excellent covering loads of ground and making important interceptions and getting the ball forward well

Like I said I didn't get to see it on TV but that is the impression I got from being there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Off topic (and old hat) but just had a glance at Serie A

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/italy_results/tables/default.stm
    1 Inter Milan 21 10 1 0 27 7 6 4 0 17 6 31 53
    2 Roma 21 7 2 1 22 13 6 4 1 16 9 16 45
    3 Juventus 21 7 3 1 23 4 4 5 1 17 14 22 41
    4 Fiorentina 21 5 3 3 20 13 5 4 1 12 6 13 37
    5 AC Milan 20 2 5 2 10 7 7 1 3 22 9 16 33
    6 Udinese 21 5 3 2 14 13 4 3 4 10 12 -1 33
    and took comfort that the only team in Europe better than us, Milan (fact - the Champions league table does not lie etc, not my opinion - I'd place us about 12th in Europe) are also 17 points off the top of the table. Hope that helps those diminishing Rafa out rants to further quieten.

Sorry haven't been able to puff out the old Liverbreast in a while:( and looking at the top of the table mightn't be puffing it out again until next season:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Carlo Ancelotti's job is under serious threat, because of his league position. I'd say its a good bet that if he doesn't get to the CL final, he'll be fired.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Carlo Ancelotti's job is under serious threat, because of his league position. I'd say its a good bet that if he doesn't get to the CL final, he'll be fired.

:(:o

Yet another straw gives way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

We played 4-4-2. It was obvious from the very start as Aurelio was positioned as a left back for the whole game and Lucas stayed on the left wing.

Reina

Carra--Skrtel--Hyypia--Aurelio

Pennant-Masch-Gerrard-Lucas

Torres--Crouch

Even after the game Carra commented on playing at right back and out of position. I had no problem with Carra at right back as he has experience there and it was a good chance to give Skrtel some experience. It was just Lucas on the wing that boggled me...seeing as we had Babel & Benayoun on the bench.

we'll give have to agree to disagree, i thought it was very obvious we were playnig 3-5-2, just watched some of the game on LFCTV there still seems plain to me that we were playing 3-5-2

we'll give have to agree to disagree, i thought it was very obvious we were playnig 3-5-2, just watched some of the game on LFCTV there still seems plain to me that we were playing 3-5-2
    Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has revealed that he upset Jamie Carragher at the weekend by playing him at right back.
    Benitez said: "Carra was at right-back so we could use Martin (Skrtel) at centre-back. We had Carra, Martin and Sami (Hyypia) who were good in the air, so we could defend set-pieces better.
    "I've seen some games when Carra has been at right-back and I knew he could defend well in that position.
    "But I didn't expect to see him up there as a winger crossing so well.
    "It was really good to see, great for us and great for him. He wasn't very happy about being asked to play at right-back but he's a professional.
    "I think we needed to give something to our supporters and try to make people happy. The players knew that and I think the commitment of all the team was fantastic.
    "It was important to get the three points. A lot of times we have been playing well but drawing or losing.
    "It was important to win, to show character and the players did that."

Proof.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So Carra and Stevie G are getting forced out to the right now!! Bet they are unhappy. :p

• Advertisement

pretty sure Rafa means Carra playing as the right back in a back three. hence the reason he says, "we had Carra,Martin and Sami who were good in the air,so we could defend set pieces better", no mention of Finnan or Aurelio.

but as i said, lets agree to disagree. unless you have a quote saying, yes we played 4-4-2 with Carra as RB. in which case i'll admit i'm wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

oobydooby wrote: »
    the only team in Europe better than us, Milan

You hilarious man.

pretty sure Rafa means Carra playing as the right back in a back three. hence the reason he says, "we had Carra,Martin and Sami who were good in the air,so we could defend set pieces better", no mention of Finnan or Aurelio.

but as i said, lets agree to disagree. unless you have a quote saying, yes we played 4-4-2 with Carra as RB. in which case i'll admit i'm wrong :)

Why would Carra complain about being on the right of 3 center backs ? That wouldn't count as out of position as its still CB. He didnt include Aurelio because hes not good in the air and the comment was about them three being good in the air.

Anyway, if he was going to play 3 center backs Carra would have been in the middle of the three. At the end of the game when asked about being played out of position Carra said something like (paraphrased) "It was more tiring than my usual position, I had to be up and down the wing".

If it was 3-5-2 with wing backs that would be the job of the wing back (in your opinion Pennant) and not one of the three center backs.

look mate, i still disagree. I doubt Rafa would ever say that Aurelio or Finnan arent any good in the air or imply that, second of all they are both very decent in the air

i think Carra only really started to get forward in the second half when we started to dominate proceedings as pennant was cutting inside a lot. I think Rafa played 3-5-2 with skerytl in the middle of the three because that then meant that he had Carra on one side of him and Hypia on the other, is there a better way for the lad to gain experience? Lucas was inside and not on the wing soooo much during the first half when Aurelio was on the pitch that IF he was meant to be playing as a winger, i'm sure Rafa would have dragged him off, then in the second half when Finnan came on for Aurelio, Stevie wasnt as comfortable out there as Fabio was so Lucas had to fall out there as the extra man in midfield in order to offer more support.

anyway dont even know why we are arguing about this :(

meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DSB is right though what about Real Madrid?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

oobydooby wrote: »
    dude you're just jealous 'cos you've only got the 2nd best record of the English teams in the EC:p (Sorry, do I get banned if I call myself a troll?)

I really don't think I do. Nor do the team I support. Boy, don't you look quite the fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

he had the squarest of pegs playing in the roundest of holes

Thats what I said - they're stealing my lines - plagiarism, pah!

As for whether it was 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, I saw it as being 4-4-2. If it was 3-5-2, neither Carra nor Aurelio played in those positions. But the argument is mute overall, as the key thing is that Rafa is playing players out of their best positions. Lucas on the left, and then Finnan on the left cannot be explained away.

Lets see what the next formation v Chelsea is like. I would expect changes, and no Skrtel. I havent made up my mind about him yet, far too early and he needs a lot more run outs.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

redspider wrote: »
    as the key thing is that Rafa is playing players out of their best positions. Lucas on the left, and then Finnan on the left cannot be explained away.

it was explained in the article. the were played out of position as Rafa was sick of playing players that werent performing. i think that is a good enough reason. why are the players performing though? well thats another problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I personally welcome our promising new right back, Jamie Carragher. A few more performances like that and he'll make that position his. :D
    Seriously though, he made an assist, got up and down the wing regularly and we didnt concede. Whether its his position or not, he did well there. Besides, when he first came to the first team in circa '99, didnt he play RB? Only to swap to LB the following season?

• Advertisement

Not a headline I would expect to read - Benayoun escapes bomb attack

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yeah, just read that, unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Call_me_al wrote: »
    it was explained in the article. the were played out of position as Rafa was sick of playing players that werent performing. i think that is a good enough reason.

But that's just conjecture by the article writer, it is not fact, its not what Rafa said were his reasons. The plain fact of the matter was that it was yet another tinker by Rafa. It didnt matter in the general scheme of things as we won okay. But it doesnt help long-term in developing a solid team and first eleven.

By the way, I agree with the opinion that Jamie is good as a RB.

By the way Mike, in that bomb article, it states: "Benayoun told The Sun" !! I thought Liverpool players shouldnt be talking to The Sun (in respect for the aftermath of Hillborough) or is that slipping as the years progress?

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

in that bomb article, it states: "Benayoun told The Sun" !! I thought Liverpool players shouldnt be talking to The Sun (in respect for the aftermath of Hillborough) or is that slipping as the years progress?
    His agent probably released a general media statement which the Sun picked up on and no doubt tagged it with "EXCLUSIVE" :). This link also carries the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Anyone think we should move for Drogba in the summer? He said he wants to leave Chelsea and I think he'd be perfect with Torres, he's great in the air, strong and a good bit of pace to him. We all know about his diving antics but I'd take that cos of his class.
    Doubt we could afford him, or even if he'd want to move to us though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Sounds all very sun-sational as usual. A bomb that size could be heard for miles. He was probably 10k down the road but because he's a footballer its big news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

gerrard handed the captaincy for england tomorrow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7228207.stm

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

event wrote: »

Obvious choice given the squad and the lack of J. Terry. Looking at the line up I'm not sure who else you'd pick. Ferdinand maybe - he's captained United a couple of times.

Gerrard the most experienced club captain on the squad maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

no Skrtel. I havent made up my mind about him yet, far too early and he needs a lot more run outs.

It is obvious that the need for run outs is the reason he was played. Playing Carra in right back is of no significance at all as he has played half of his career there.

I am also convinced that Rafa went into that match intending to play some sort of 3-5-2 but changed for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Obvious choice given the squad and the lack of J. Terry. Looking at the line up I'm not sure who else you'd pick. Ferdinand maybe - he's captained United a couple of times.

Gerrard the most experienced club captain on the squad maybe.

I think they are planning on having a different captain in every friendly until the qualifiers start. So Gerrard this time, Ferdinand will get a shot, and JT will have a shot when he is fit as well.
    Anyone think we should move for Drogba in the summer? He said he wants to leave Chelsea and I think he'd be perfect with Torres, he's great in the air, strong and a good bit of pace to him. We all know about his diving antics but I'd take that cos of his class.

The reason Drogba wants to leave Chelsea is because he never wanted to come to England in the first place. No chance of him going to another English club for two reason he wont want to, and Chelsea wont sell him to a rival either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I was prepared to welcome Lee Bowyer and Ruud van Nistelrooy in seasons gone by and that lovable Welsh scamp Craig Bellamy was at Liverpool last season so why not? It is very unlikely to happen though.

I was appalled at even being linked to Bowyer! :eek: Drogs would never be allowed to play for a prem rival full stop.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mike65 wrote: »
    I was appalled at even being linked to Bowyer! :eek: Drogs would never be allowed to play for a prem rival full stop.

Mike.

Exactly. They'd never sell to us, we probably can't afford him and he probably hates us as much as we hate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

tbh if he leaves, he'll prob go to whoever jose is managing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

tbh if he leaves, he'll prob go to whoever jose is managing

true.

hes the exact sorta player we need to play with torres tho. adebayor would be another.
    a powerful striker who can hold up the ball as well as provide good flick ons and be a constant aeriel threat.
    crouchy just doesnt cut it tbh. far too slow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The King has Spoken...Time to get behind Rafa Benitez

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Jazzy wrote: »
    true.

hes the exact sorta player we need to play with torres tho. adebayor would be another.
    a powerful striker who can hold up the ball as well as provide good flick ons and be a constant aeriel threat.
    crouchy just doesnt cut it tbh. far too slow

maybe thats why it was rumored that Rafa was after Kenwyne Jones last year?

if its good enough for Kenny, its good enough for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Call_me_al wrote: »
    maybe thats why it was rumored that Rafa was after Kenwyne Jones last year?

Please god dont let him be our summer signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Please god dont let him be our summer signing.
    awesome player who will get better and better especially with a big team like Liverpool and the service he would get. And he would be cheap 10 mill anyone? Would love him at UTD but we got Manucho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Cop on you lot, you can't have your cake and eat it.

badumtish!

*grabs coat

:confused: How do people dream up this stuff ? There is no way, ever, in a bajillion years that Chelsea would sell Drogba to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Killme00 wrote: »
    awesome player who will get better and better especially with a big team like Liverpool and the service he would get.

Same with Baros, Cisse, Kuyt, Bellamy...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well he's scoring goals at the moment, he's also younger than any of them were.

Kenwyn Jones is NOT the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Tusky wrote: »
    Kenwyn Jones is NOT the answer.

Absolutely bang on!

People have been moaning about how its time we stop wasting money and buy proven talent for months on here and that a QUALITY striker and winger be first and foremost on the shopping list. And all of a sudden Kenwyn Jones is on the wish list. We need players of Torres's calibre not someone Keano is taking a punt on to keep him in the premiership. Christ lads come on:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest i wouldn't mind Jones at Liverpool, but more in the context of having Torres, Crouch, Jones and Huntelaar/Benzema as our 4. Not being forced to rely on him for goals, but if he comes good, then good stuff. He's just built perfectly for the premiership imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Drogba no so much doing a u turn as pulling off donuts.
    Link

He's a drama queen. Re Kenwyne Jones, lets concentrate on our first choice this summer. He might turn good, so could Kuyt when we signed him etc. Time for proven quality (and I don't take Kuyts record in the Dutch league as proof of his quality in the premiership).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Jones could make it at a top 4 club, as the 2nd choice/pushing for first choice big striker. That said, the other top 4 could afford to buy an average to good striker to add depth. Liverpool don't need depth, they need quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Rick Parry at his finest here
    I would like to wish Momo Sissoko all the best following his move to Juventus. Rafael Benitez has good cover in midfield and we made a decent profit on the transfer.

Momo was a good servant to the club. He was superb for us until his eye injury. Never recovered his form after it. But to wish him the best and follow it up by sayin we have cover and made a profit on you is very very bad form imo. Its a statement which completely lacks any class or respect.:mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement