Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think the problem with Crouch was he was expecting to be a regular starter rather than more of a squad player. Initially this didn't go down too well with him and he started bitching.

Since then he's copped on a bit and I think he should get a propper run out with Torres.

Kuyt and Voronin will be eaten up by Chelsea defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

imo crouch has to start at the weekend. He's looking sharp at the moment and i just think it would be a mistake to leave him out. Looked good when he came on last night.

The only plus for Kuyt for this game is that he's always looked good against Chelsea. Id prefer to bring him on from the bench if Crouch is getting lazy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

scruff321 wrote: »
    to be fair i think crouch has a great attitude the man has been stuck on the bench for most of the season and has taken it on the chin,plus when ever he comes on he scores more often then not,hes a great option to have and i defo think he should be starting alongside torres.

See this is where i totally disagree, from the bench i think Crouch is ineffective, apart from the Villa game, i cant remember him scoring coming from the bench?

Plus, this great attitude? he has moaned a fair bit in the press about not getting a shot at making the place his own, despite the fact that he has had numerous chances this year to shine against weaker opposition, and failed almost always. I think Crouch, on current form, deserves a starting place against all the teams from outside the top 4-i'd start Kuyt against the top 4 being honest, we are not as strong as Chelsea or Utd, therefore we need Kuyts workrate to bridge that gap somewhat. And as someone said, Kuyt always plays well against Chelsea. Had a stormer there last year if i remember correctly.

If i was picking the team(and i should be), I'd start Kuyt and Babel. Wat Kuyt has in work rate and not in creativity and flair. Babel makes up for imo.

plus no better time for him to break his scoring duct, than against Chelsea on Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

As you said Mr.Alan his work rate is second-to-none, but forwards must score goals! Like look at Rooney, he works his bollox off every game but we still are not happy with him not scoring goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr.Alan. I find it laughable that would start Kuyt ahead of Crouch. When was the last time Kuyt scored ? Scratch that, when was the last time Kuyt looked like scoring or even had a shot saved ? On current form he offers absolutely no goal threat. He is there to score goals, not to run around like a headless chicken harassing defenders. Thats obviously a good attribute to have as a striker but it has to go along with a goal threat to be of any use. He has scored one goal from open play in the league this season for gods sake!

I think Crouch has been completely right to moan. He was our top scorer last season and this season I dont know whats happened. He will come off the bench for a couple of games in a row and then disappear from the squad for a couple of games. Then he will start and score and wont even be in the squad the next week. That has the be frustrating. The fact is, after Torres he is the striker with the biggest goal threat...by far.

Voronin & Kuyt barely count as strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Mr Alan wrote: »
    If i was picking the team(and i should be), I'd start Kuyt and Babel. Wat Kuyt has in work rate and not in creativity and flair. Babel makes up for imo.

Is this assuming Torres doesn't start or are you suggesting Babel on the wing or maybe 4-5-1? I fear we won't start with 2 strikers at all and it'll be Torres up front, Steve G in the hole and a four man midfield of Masch, Alonso, Babel (fingers crossed) and Pennant/Benny. Then again there's worse things in the world than that formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not true Gerrard is our biggest goal thread after Torres followed by Yossi then Ryan Babel then Carra then Momo (who even in Turin poses a bigger threat than Kuyt at the moment).

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Not true Gerrard is our biggest goal thread after Torres followed by Yossi then Ryan Babel then Carra then Momo (who even in Turin poses a bigger threat than Kuyt at the moment).

Mike.

I was talking about our strikers.

Some stats.

Dirk Kuyt.

Starts: 16
    Sub: 9
    Total apperances: 25

Goals: 5 (2pens)
    Assists: 1

Last goal scored: November 24th v Newcastle (13 games ago)

If you judge by goals from open play, he has scored one goal every 8 games this season, if you include penos its one in every 5

Totals for Liverpool : 65 games, 18 goals.

In his Liverpool career he has scored on average, one goal every 3.5 games

Totals for Holland: 35 apperances, 6 goals.

For Holland, he has scored one goal every 5.6 games

Tusky wrote: »
    I think Crouch has been completely right to moan. He was our top scorer last season and this season I dont know whats happened.

He is not right to moan. Players are never (or extremely rarely) right to moan in public about their lack of gametime. Especially when they are playing ****e and dont deserve any.

Crouchs exclusion from the team was based on his performances at the start of the season not being good enough, the first game this year he looked anyway decent was against Arsenal. IMO with his super international scoring record, Crouch started believe his own hype a little and possibly developed something of an attitude. Rafa is knocking it out of him and is dead right to. When he was struggling to get into the team due to his ****e form and stating he felt he was being treated unfairly, he appeared on Hells Kitchen, maybe instead of pissing off down to London, he should have stayed behind at training at learnt how to head a ball? Then a lot of time, when he gets a chance to prove himself, he fails, or another thing, he gets a start against Chelsea, gets sent of STUPIDLY and leaves us a striker down over the christmas period. So lets not pretend every opportunity he is proving he is desreving of a starting place.

Ciise was our top scorer the season before he left was he not? Does that mean he should automatically have been given a starting place the following year? No.

*****i like crouch btw, and do think he is good enough, i wouldnt mind him starting on Sunday, just dont think that he deserves to walk into the team against Chelsea******
    Tusky wrote: »
    Kuyt barely count as strikers.

Bit harsh on Kuyt man, he was super last year, granted his form this year has been poor, but between the death of his father co-inciding with his downturn in form,i wouldnt think it fair to slate him like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Rafa says torres unlikely to play on Sunday. Hopefully just bluffing?
    Link

He is not right to moan. Players are never (or extremely rarely) right to moan in public about their lack of gametime. Especially when they are playing ****e and dont deserve any.

Crouchs exclusion from the team was based on his performances at the start of the season not being good enough, the first game this year he looked anyway decent was against Arsenal. IMO with his super international scoring record, Crouch started believe his own hype a little and possibly developed something of an attitude. Rafa is knocking it out of him and is dead right to. When he was struggling to get into the team due to his ****e form and stating he felt he was being treated unfairly, he appeared on Hells Kitchen, maybe instead of pissing off down to London, he should have stayed behind at training at learnt how to head a ball? Then a lot of time, when he gets a chance to prove himself, he fails, or another thing, he gets a start against Chelsea, gets sent of STUPIDLY and leaves us a striker down over the christmas period. So lets not pretend every opportunity he is proving he is desreving of a starting place.

Ciise was our top scorer the season before he left was he not? Does that mean he should automatically have been given a starting place the following year? No.

*****i like crouch btw, and do think he is good enough, i wouldnt mind him starting on Sunday, just dont think that he deserves to walk into the team against Chelsea******

Bit harsh on Kuyt man, he was super last year, granted his form this year has been poor, but between the death of his father co-inciding with his downturn in form,i wouldnt think it fair to slate him like that.

Crouch never really moaned, he just said that he was disappointed that he wasn't getting chances in the team. He has also come out and said that thats what you have to put up with when playing for a big club like Liverpool, that he wants to stay and is prepared to fight for his place. Nothing wrong with that. In regards to Crouch being dropped because of bad form, thats nonsense. All of ours strikers bar Torres have been bad this year. Kuyt has been given chance after chance after chance after chance and he hasnt offered anything. Hes not even getting any assists!

In regards to Kuyts form last year, it was not super! It was passable on the basis that it was his first year and he would improve this year. He has gone backwards.

Reina

Finnan--Carra-Hypia--Arbeloa
    Pennant-Masch-Gerrard-Babel

Torres---Kuyt

or............

Reina

Finnan--Carra--Hypia--Arbeloa
    ----Mascherano--Alonso
    Gerrard----Benayoun----Babel
    Torres/Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Sure about momo :D
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2008/jan/29/N158634080129-1235.htm

Keep up :p

advise you to read mikes post FULLY

Berns wrote: »

bit slow on the uptake Berns, eh ? Or have you just never heard of Turin before.

ahhh be nice Tusky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

reina

finnan
    carra
    hypia
    arbeloa

gerrard----masch----alonso

pennant
    babel

crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Berns wrote: »
    mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Sure about momo :D
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2008/jan/29/N158634080129-1235.htm

Keep up :p

Fairly sure that was the point man!

Especially since Momo scored I think once for us in two years!;)

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »

reina

finnan
    carra
    hypia
    arbeloa

gerrard----masch----alonso

pennant
    babel

crouch

Thats the team I would like to see starting except maybe with Benayoun on for Babel. Babel hasnt offered much of a scoring threat when he has started and Pennant doesn't offer any...so that leaves Crouch & Gerrard...

Reina
    ----Mascherano--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Benayoun-
    Torres

Crouch

And if Gerrard bitches or rolls his eyes, we are selling him.

Reina
    ----Mascherano--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Benayoun-
    Torres

Crouch

And if Gerrard bitches or rolls his eyes, we are selling him.

i'd say he is ****ting it :rolleyes:

i'd say he is ****ting it :rolleyes:

:) Good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i predict:

Reina

-Arbeloa--Carragher--Hyypia--Riise-

-Gerrard---Alonso---Mascherano--Kewell-

Benayoun

Crouch

not wat id like but wat im predicting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Jazzy wrote: »
    i predict:

Reina

-Gerrard---Alonso---Mascherano--Kewell-

Benayoun

Crouch

not wat id like but wat im predicting

Alonso's suspended....I'm predicting

Reina

-Pennant---Gerrard---Mascherano--Kewell-

Kuyt
    Crouch

• Advertisement

Yea, whats the deal with Kewell is he fit or just out of favour. If he's fit surely he should get more of a look in.

Edit: Didn't know Alonso was out...

Reina
    ----Gerrard--Mascherano
    Babel
    Benayoun
    Torres

Crouch

Yea, whats the deal with Kewell is he fit or just out of favour. If he's fit surely he should get more of a look in.

He's looked a bit crap of late alright though. very sluggish looking, tries to take on his man but just doesn't seem to have that extra oomph to get around him. Could probably do with being left out for a few games to work harder during teh week on fitness without a worry about being wrecked for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

Crouchs exclusion from the team was based on his performances at the start of the season not being good enough, the first game this year he looked anyway decent was against Arsenal.

now maybe he was injured at the start of the season, but you say his performances were not good enough?

in the first 9 league games, he played 3 times, a total of 86 minutes.

its not like he was given loads of chances at the start of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Jeez all this globe trotting should knock a mill or two off Mascherano's price tag

Kulgan wrote: »
    Jeez all this globe trotting should knock a mill or two off Mascherano's price tag

Hmmm :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3117234,00.html
    We know it is a hamstring problem. I have spoken to Fernando, I know what the problem is. This injury is at least one week

"You cannot play on after an injury like this, it is a big risk. He will not play at Chelsea.

"We will wait for the result of the scan, but I have no doubt he will miss the weekend.

is that a bit of kidology from Rafa?

event wrote: »

I hope so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I hope to god Torres is playing, without him against Chelsea you're gona need Gerrard to perform :/

PHB wrote: »
    I hope to god Torres is playing, without him against Chelsea you're gona need Gerrard to perform :/

that or else Kuyt to come back to his last years form against chelsea. I know which is infinately more likely!

Without Torres, i cant see Liverpool going for it at all, would be more battling in midfield, solid defending, and then conceding one from a set piece or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I hate the way every single article sensationalises it with a big TORRES OUT OF CHELSEA CLASH headline. Rafa's comment is;
    "The news we have on Torres is that it is a hamstring injury. I need to talk to the doctor but I think he will miss this game. Normally it is a week when a player goes off like this"

Sounds more like, Torres will probably miss this, but we'll see.

I still have a feeling he'll play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

If there is any doubt at all he shouldn't. Even with Torres playing a result against Chelsea is unlikely (70 something games unbeaten at home) so better to not take a risk and have him fit for the Champions League and the fight for 4th, it gives the same eventual reward as finishing 3rd anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Have to agree, if there is even a slight risk he shouldnt play. We cant afford to lose him for the Inter games.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am getting a lot of PMs and emails about our trips.I think I have got back to everybody but I am posting this here just encase I missed anybody.

Boro 23rd feb

out Johnathan swift fast ferry 0845 arr holyhead 1045 arr liverpool by luxury coach 1pm -

coming back next day sunday
    leave liverpool at 1pm (midday)

depart holyhead 17.15 arrive dublin 1904

Each apartment sleeps 4 or 5, single beds normally 2 or 3 beds in 2 bedrooms. please can you let me know whom you want to share with, (if not i will arange you to share with someone else)
    also I will be looking for a booking deposit, to secure your place of €50.00 and also a deposit for your apartments in case of damages, this will be returned on way home providing the apartment is left in a resonable condition this will be 20 euro each. I would expect you to treat apartments with upmost care, to keep our costs down, and look after our good reputation.
    TWO SETS OF KEYS FOR EACH APARTMENT ONLY ALL APARTMENTS ARE IN KNIGHT STREET WHICH IS A 3 MINUTE WALK TO LIME STREET

If less people want to share an apartment it can be arranged but you will have to pay a little extra, these prices are based on 4 or 5 sharing
    Match ticket at face value extra costs for booking charge and postage may apply

Limited number of apartments if you want to make your own booking hotel b&B ect please do, you can still travel with us if you wish for a reduced rate

COST

Boat/Coach/Apartment is €145.00
    Boat and coach only is €85.00

PAYMENT

can be made via any perment tsb branch i will give you a reference number. and paid direct into the account

CHILDREN

kids are welcome with us, and I can give a reduction of €20. per child this is the ferry reduction and i need to know this at time of booking.

I have a list started. as I say first come first served. no one is booked until a 70.00 deposit is received, balance to be paid at least one week before match if not you place is lost and it goes to the waiting list.
    this posting maybe edited with any updates

I DO HAVE A FEW SPARES.. ONLY MEMBERS OF SITE FOR MORE THAN 3 MONTHS NEED APPLY, and they are only for people travelling with us

There is also a special night at Anfield after the game in aid of the Ray Kennedy fund, any one wishing to go to this let me know i will try and get as many tickets as possible, a few players/ ex players should be there also and entertaintment i think the tickets are approx 10. quid sterling, I am waiting for confirmation on this.

There will be collection buckets at the game.

Few rules for the trip:-
    1. Do not attempt to bring the S** paper
    2. NO beer in bus
    3. Look after the apartment
    4. Dont Be late

Meeting place for return trip will be outside the brittania adelphi hotel (lime Street)
    at 1pm on sunday.

For more info or to book log onto www.irishkop.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

torres has a torn hamstring and will be out for 10 days:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep it looks like the real thing, still bring on Crouch and let everyone else rise to the occasion.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He's big he's red, he'll score em with his head he's peter crouch......

Guaranteed goals then ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Guaranteed goals then ;)

I like your optimism.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Guaranteed goals then ;)

I always thought it was

He's big he's red, his feet stick out the bed, Peter Crouch, Peter Crouch....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

www.bbc.co.uk/sport gossip from the back pages

Liverpool are planning a summer bid for Real Zaragoza's attacking midfielder Sergio Garcia.

Could this pave the way for Xabi's exit?

tonc76 wrote: »
    www.bbc.co.uk/sport gossip from the back pages

Liverpool are planning a summer bid for Real Zaragoza's attacking midfielder Sergio Garcia.

Could this pave the way for Xabi's exit?

Rafa for the love of God, we need wingers. W i n g e r s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I have to say, i'm a bit worried about Torres's injury. To be honest, i was waiting for something like this to happen as hamstring injuries obviously affect players with pace more than others. As someone already said, if there is any doubt, he shouldn't play at Chelsea. I just hope he doesn't become another Michael Owen. He first tore his hamstring away at Leeds and was never the same player since. He lost some pace, became injury prone and though is still a quality player when fit, lacks the spark he once had. The fact that Torres is out for a week to ten days suggests it's not too bad. It could have been a lot worse so no point in risking him.

Kuyt talking about his dad
    Dirk Kuyt has admitted his performances for Liverpool have not been good enough this season but has vowed to turn his form around.

The Dutchman has scored just three goals in 21 Premier League appearances but he has now revealed what he believes to be the main reason for his struggles on the pitch.

Kuyt's father, Gerrit, died of cancer last June and he admits it has resulted in a loss of confidence.

"I'd be lying if I said it hasn't affected me, because obviously it has," Kuyt said in the Daily Mirror.

"He was my biggest supporter and someone I always turned to for advice. I know if he was here right now he'd help me with the difficulties I've been having on the field.

"Naturally it's had a major impact on my life but at the same time my performances just haven't been good enough."

Kuyt is aware of his responsibilities as a striker at Liverpool and feels he can return to his best over the coming months.

He said: "It's my job to score goals and I haven't done that on a regular basis.

"Now I've got to keep going and turn this situation around."
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3119779,00.html

Would definately affect someone's game alright. Hopefully he can regain some of his confidence again soon.

I hope Dirk shoves all the critiscisms he has recieved down all of our throats.

come on dirk lad.

• Advertisement

Sergio Garcia? Christ i thought we'd had enough of golfers when Bellers left!

...sorry

Anyway...he's down in wikipedia as being a right midfielder/striker, so probably not at all a replacement for Alonso, and more in line for what we need. Papers and websites very often just say midfielder, or attacking midfielder when they're not sure who they're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfHt7C3-SRk
    Dare I say it.. 4-3-3?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement