Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Never can be too sure about those youtube compilations. ESPN has him listed as a striker??

Here is a screen shot of his stats so far this year.

Edit: Source - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=26704&cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Never can be too sure about those youtube compilations. ESPN has him listed as a striker??

Here is a screen shot of his stats so far this year.

Edit: Source - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=26704&cc=5739

yup, he's listed as winger and/or striker in most places. From any clips i can find on him thats what he looks like too. Sometimes up front in the center, sometimes coming inside from either wing. If we are in for him id imagine it would be as;

Garcia---Babel
    ----Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

RAFA BACKS KUYT TO FILL TORRES BOOTS
    Jimmy Rice 08 February 2008

Rafa Benitez is backing Dirk Kuyt to fill Fernando Torres' boots over the coming weeks.
    Liverpool will be without their top scorer for 10 days due to a hamstring injury sustained on international duty this week.

Of immediate concern is Sunday's trip to Stamford Bridge, a venue the Reds rarely leave with anything at the best of times.

Benitez, though, is hopeful Kuyt – who by his own admission has struggled in front of goal of late – can step up to the plate.

"He has scored some goals," said the Liverpool boss. "If you look at his record in Holland he always scored a lot of goals, but here he is doing a good job for the team."

Holland coach Marco van Basten left Kuyt out of his squad for only the second time this week.

The striker's response, according to Benitez, has been entirely as expected.

The Spaniard said: "He has been training really well for us and that is the kind of reaction you want from a player.

"Kuyt is a fantastic professional."

If he comes, lets hope he's a touch better than the last Garcia.

Although sometimes i'd prefer him to Pennant.

Id take back little Luis over a lot of our players. Contributed more then one would realise, chipped in with plenty of goals and assists.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Luis Garcia was a brilliant player for us. I know there were plenty of times when he was frustrating, but he was a big game player. Wouldn't have won the European Cup without him. He scored the vital goals against Leverkusen, Juventus and Chelsea on the way to the final and the vital goal against Chelsea in the F.A Cup semi final the following season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Last night as I powered down I thought about Luis Garcia and how we missed him at times like this. Rafa would have played him against Chelsea in a free role, Benny is the nearest we now have to that kind of player so hopefully he start (behind Crouch).

Mike.

Was praying we'd try a sneaky loan move for him for the rest of the season as he's not a very regular league starter for Atletico, they have Simao, Reyes and Rodriguez who can all do a similer role, i'd take any of them in a second to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

One of these days Kuyt will come good. Not Torres good, but back to some of his better performances from last season. If he played it would be the first match since Van Basten's comments - might be the gee up he needs.

Therefore I would go with Crouch-Kuyt up front - with Kuyt to net a brace.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    One of these days Kuyt will come good. Not Torres good, but back to some of his better performances from last season. If he played it would be the first match since Van Basten's comments - might be the gee up he needs.

Therefore I would go with Crouch-Kuyt up front - with Kuyt to net a brace.

I think Kuyt needs just start shooting and finding his range. He needs to cut back on this pressure pressure pressure game that he has developed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Cant understand people who didnt rate luis.He was (is) a brilliant little player.We are lacking that type of player now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Sacrilege!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Tusky wrote: »
    bit slow on the uptake Berns, eh ? Or have you just never heard of Turin before.

D'oh, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Momo Sissoko has assured Juventus they have gambled right in bringing him from Liverpool.

Juve were chasing both Sissoko and his former Reds teammate Javier Mascherano during last month's winter market.

However, midfielder Sissoko told Tuttosport: "I want to win titles. Trust me, I am better than Mascherano."

good man Momo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Momo Sissoko has assured Juventus they have gambled right in bringing him from Liverpool.

Juve were chasing both Sissoko and his former Reds teammate Javier Mascherano during last month's winter market.

However, midfielder Sissoko told Tuttosport: "I want to win titles. Trust me, I am better than Mascherano."

good man Momo :)

Well he is not wrong.

Proof..

1) He is better at being half blind.
    2) He is better at insuring every second touch he has is a tackle.
    3) He is better at giving Liverpool fans something to get angry about.
    4) He is better at giving the papers something to beat Rafa with the morning after a match.
    5) He is better at signing contracts.

I'll stop now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think if he hadn't gotten that injury, maybe he would have developed into a player equal or even better than Mascherano. Unfortunately these things happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »
    I think if he hadn't gotten that injury, maybe he would have developed into a player equal or even better than Mascherano. Unfortunately these things happen
    Actually, I agree with this.

I thought he was a very strong midfielder when he came first to Liverpool, I was raving about him to my friends at the time. They were sick of me.

Of course, I don't mention that to them now. :)

you're too busy licking Andersons arse now desmond!

you're too busy licking Andersons arse now desmond!
    Anderson has something Momo never had tbh. A spark or something.

I'd do a 3sum with Anderson and Hunty :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

He'll go and be world class for The Old Lady now.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Anderson has something Momo never had tbh. A spark or something.

I'd do a 3sum with Anderson and Hunty :D

Christ the imagery! its kinda funny yet disturbing, Hunty, Anderson and cartoon Ulysses...

Lucas > Anderson & Sissoko.

Fact.

Anderson > Lucas

Fact.

See, just cos I say it doesn't make it true Alan.

I know you saying it doesnt make it true.

thats the difference between me and you.

Me saying actually does make it true :)

I know you saying it doesnt make it true.

thats the difference between me and you.

Me saying actually does make it true :)
    Ah yes, I forgot.

You wish... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Mr Alan do you ever say anything that isnt full of ****?

Davei141 wrote: »
    Oh oh....here we go...

do you have a personality or a sense of humour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

now now al....calm down calm down!!

• Advertisement

i'm always calm.

I'd have gone with

"I'M ALWAYS CALM GODDAMN YOU!!!"

Davei141? are you there? . . . . or was that your sole contribution these boards for the next few months?

His green light is out which would suggest he has logged off...

Still tho, it was a helluva contribution.

Lucas > Anderson & Sissoko.

Fact.

I actually gotta agree.
    The very fact that Lucas was given the arm band for the baby Brazilians is indication enough for me.
    Don't get me wrong, they're both looking like fabulous players, but we've never gotten to see Lucas in his proper role.
    He always has had to play a holding role, while he's a born attack midfielder, in the Gerrard/Fat Frank mold.
    We won't see his best until he adapts, and Rafa takes off the reins!

Can you imagine what Brazil are going to be like in a few years with Lucas and Anderson controlling the centre of the park?!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

so guys chelski at the weekend...im thinking its gonna be a tight encounter but i think we'll struggle to score.we need big games outta a lot of players who have underperformed this year...kuyt kewell especially
    im thinkin 1-0 them unfortunatly.:(

your views/predictions?

• Advertisement

It was the fact he placed Anderson and Sissoko together in the same bracket.

Anderson has been without doubt one of our best players this season. Asked to step into Scholes shoes way earlier than expected and time and again showed he has, power, pace, skill and awareness. Sissoko is a 3 legged mule compared to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Davei141? are you there? . . . . or was that your sole contribution these boards for the next few months?

I dont post that often, but god damn you make reading this thread painful.

Witty.

It was the fact he placed Anderson and Sissoko together in the same bracket.
    Er, he didn't.

he said his opinion was that Lucas was better than Sissoko and Anderson.

I could say that I think Torres is better than Obafemi Martins and Shelbourne Striker Philip Hughes.

That doesn't mean I think Martins and Hughes are in the same bracket.

Fúck me, some people are fairly sensitive around here.

Get a grip lads, every post is NOT designed to piss you off.

I dont post that often, but god damn you make reading this thread painful.

There is a little button you can hit that will ignore my posts.

otherwise,go and ask my barse.

We won't see his best until he adapts, and Rafa takes off the reins!

This is an interesting point you made here and something I wonder myself.

Does anyone think the players that Rafa brings in are moulded away from their natural role?

That this guy Lucas could possibly be an amazing midfielder but Rafa is, not so much halting his progress, just directing him the way Rafa wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    lol wtf?
    I felt the thread needed that to be said, a clean break from all the nonsense preceeding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    I felt the thread needed that to be said, a clean break from all the nonsense preceeding it.

lol good call:p

DesF wrote: »
    Er, he didn't.

he said his opinion was that Lucas was better than Sissoko and Anderson.

I could say that I think Torres is better than Obafemi Martins and Shelbourne Striker Philip Hughes.

That doesn't mean I think Martins and Hughes are in the same bracket.

Fúck me, some people are fairly sensitive around here.

Get a grip lads, every post is NOT designed to piss you off.
    I didn't get pissed off. Was just surprised by the the discussion about Lucas and then Sissoko and suddenly Anderson is mentioned. I disagreed with him about Anderson and said so.

And when you say something is better than another two things you do imply the other rwo are at least similar - if not why bother comparing to both.

He started a conversation about lucas vs Anderson and I discussed. Fail to see how that requires your policing.

This is an interesting point you made here and something I wonder myself.

Does anyone think the players that Rafa brings in are moulded away from their natural role?

That this guy Lucas could possibly be an amazing midfielder but Rafa is, not so much halting his progress, just directing him the way Rafa wants.

Yes and no.

I don't think it's that Rafa tries to turn them into something that they're not, I just think that he tries to make them better all round.
    By using Lucas in a holding role, he gets to improve the least impressive aspect of his game.
    Also, he gets to play Lucas next to Gerard, and that can only help him in the long run.
    Lucas and Gerard are very similar, and now he gets to watch the master at work from a fewf eet away!

It's the same with other players.
    Rafa knows that Babel can score, and he can run, but he wants to mature him a bit.
    Make him stronger and improve his defensive aspects while he's younger, and then put him forward more.

Anyway, that's just IMO.

I just want to know how you got away with saying the word **** without it being asterixed

Prediction for Sunday. Can't really see us getting anything, Maybe sneak a draw but realistically i'd say Chelsea two one. I think Kuyt will get our goal.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I just want to know how you got away with saying the word **** without it being asterixed

cuntfuck

Use the [nofilter] tags.

Works a charm for me.

This thread is sounding more and more like Peter Reid half-time rant

Gotta say I can acctually see us getting something.
    I mean, we may be down Torres, but Chealski have no Diving Toss Pot, sorry I meant Drogba of course!!!
    Or Kalou etc!

I reckon it'll be a draw, but I wouldn't put it past us getting a sneaky result.

It'd be a decent result for United if the pool get something out of the bridge - keep them off our backs.

Big ask for pool tho.
    I mean, we may be down Torres, but Chealski have no Diving Toss Pot, sorry I meant Drogba of course!!!
    Or Kalou etc!

They've barely missed either to be honest. And Anelka is a threat.

They've barely missed either to be honest. And Anelka is a threat.

Yeah but they haven't played one of the top teams without them.
    And of course Anelka is a threat, but if played right, so is Crouchie.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement