Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Oh joys, another 3 pages of ****e..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

^^^^

which you just added to.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ^^^^

which you just added to.

And you were in the thick of for the majority of..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »
    I think if he hadn't gotten that injury, maybe he would have developed into a player equal or even better than Mascherano. Unfortunately these things happen

I think people often forget how good Sissoko was before his injury. He absolutely bossed the middle of the park and was one of our most important players. The year we got to 82 points (club record) was with him & Alonso in the center in every game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Tusky wrote: »
    The year we got to 82 points (club record) was with him & Alonso in the center in every game.

And Gerrard out right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

DesF wrote: »
    Shelbourne Striker Philip Hughes.
    He's should ours, he hasn't played for you's yet! :mad: 27 goals in 63 app's for Dundalk... :eek: why did we release him??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

And Gerrard out right.

With Gerrard and Lucas being so similar, can anyone see a situation in a couple of years where he plays Lucas and Gerard in the center/right, with liscence to swap?

As in Gerrard starting on the right, with Lucas inside (or visa versa), but if Gerrard cuts in, Lucas would switch out.

It would give both them a chance to play where they want, and would give the team a lot ore fluidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think people often forget how good Sissoko was before his injury. He absolutely bossed the middle of the park and was one of our most important players. The year we got to 82 points (club record) was with him & Alonso in the center in every game.

Indeed, it's quite a shame what happened to him. I think as a purely defensive midfielder, the only defensively better play I've see to him is Makelele. Sissoko has both the reading abilities to defend and the ability to get stuck in. If he had developed his passing abilities (even if only to playing the simple pass) he could have been absolutely world class.
    That said, I don't think his career is over. I think he is still young (people expect so much from young players these days) and he can still develop that side to his game, although it will take longer.

I think Lucas looks a decent prospect. Whenever hes come on he's done very well. I don't think he's like Gerrard to be honest, I think he is similar in that he likes to attack, but after that, their game is very very different. However I do wonder how Rafa intends to use him in the future. I'm still not sure if Rafa has ever decided where he wants to play Gerrard, and as such, I think Lucas' opportunities might be limited. A loan might not be the worst idea in the world.

• Advertisement

what a sham of a club Chelsea are.

http://cfcuk.net/story.php?id=100658

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

While most of the chants were unfunny, crude, inflamatory etc, I have to say i lol-ed at the “I’d rather be a Russian than a Yank!” :) So are ye confident of getting a result Sunday without your star man Torres? Im dissappointed he isnt playing, excellent player, I enjoy watching him play.

i wouldnt say i was confident, but i definately think we can.

disappointed he aint playing too.

that man makes me question my sexuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

i wouldnt say i was confident, but i definately think we can.

disappointed he aint playing too.

What! I thought Rafa was the only man for you! ;)
    Yeah it will be a close game but I think chelsea will just shade it.

we shall see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

lol:D

• Advertisement

i know you feel the same Redzer! ;)

Meh, every club in England have chants like these sung by their supporters. It is all part of the banter.

As for the match on Sunday. Chelsea are on form and we are quite weakened - Liverpool to jam the win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Liverpool are super duper - everyone should listen to this - Benny Lava

im drunk and i say Mr Alan is licking DesF's balls. prove me wrong girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Jazzy wrote: »
    Liverpool are super duper - everyone should listen to this - Benny Lava

im drunk and i say Mr Alan is licking DesF's balls. prove me wrong girls

Pressed stop after about 3 seconds.Thanks all the same:)

Pahhh.Im a red and love the banter.Sure if you took that otta the game it would be have the game we love gone.Calm do:Dwn calm down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

We sing a whole lot worse at them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    why is Xabi alonso suspended??he doesnt have 5 yellow cards and hasnt being sent off?anybody know?

5 yellow's. 3 in the league, 1 in the FA cup and 1 in the Carling cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

I erased my msg!just checked the LFC website!tanx :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

We sing a whole lot worse at them...

Yes and most of our ones are funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think its a bit of a sham that they have to post on their website what the fans should sing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Interesting:
    Rafa admits to selection gambles
    Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has conceded that sometimes he "gambles too much" with his rotation policy at Anfield.

That is a remarkable admission from the Spaniard, who always defiantly defends his system of resting players on a regular basis.

It has meant that from day one of the season he has now made a staggering 279 changes to his line-ups, week on week, and shows no sign of sticking to his best side as critics continually claim he should.

Benitez averages an amazing five changes a match and has only kept an unchanged side once this term.

And as Benitez prepares this time to make enforced changes at Chelsea due to a growing injury list, he said: "If I need to make gambles, then I will make gambles.

"We have been in two Champions League finals and an FA Cup final. That is because we change the side.

"Sometimes it is good and works, sometimes not. But nobody really knows whether what I do is right.

"All I will say is that Liverpool and me have won a lot of trophies doing this.

"Sometimes maybe I take too many gambles. But it is necessary sometimes when opponents have top class, expensive players, and lots of them.

"If they have five players who cost £20m and we have just one, you need to use that player in the right moment. If you don't win, people blame you.

"If you do win, nobody mentions what team you put onto the field. I accept that."

He added: "We played against Havant and people said, 'play your best team.' But you cannot do that against a team like that, if people want that it is because they do not know what it takes to win trophies and trophies and trophies.

"If you cannot do things like that against smaller teams then you will just not be able to compete all the time against Premier League teams. You must change things for games like that."

Benitez will go into his 18th meeting with Chelsea without top scorer Fernando Torres, who damaged a hamstring playing for Spain in midweek.

The Spanish boss says: "People say I gamble too much with rotation and changes. But the answer to that is to look at Torres, he has played a lot of games for us recently and then he has another game with Spain, and he gets injured.

"He is continuing to play at a high level all the time. Players must rest also.

"We have half a dozen players in this situation, they all need to be changed and to rest. But everyone keeps talking about me playing my strongest team, and then you see what happens.

"I do not like to say what is my strongest team, I must use all the players with the demands we have. If you pick the same team all the time you will find at the end of the season that you cannot win trophies."

Liverpool now have three key games in 10 days to salvage their season. After the clash with Chelsea they will play Barnsley in the FA Cup fifth round next weekend, and then face the first leg of their Champions League clash with Inter Milan.

And Benitez is still fuming over the injury to Torres that has damaged Liverpool's chances in all three competitions.

He said: "We have three big games in 10 days in three different competitions and we have lost out top goalscorer.

"It is difficult to be calm about it, this was another international friendly in a busy period for clubs at this time of the season.

"It is crazy enough that they go away and have different training systems, diets, new ideas. And they get injured.

"We have got some confidence back with a 3-0 win over Sunderland and a very good second-half performance. But then a lot of players are away all over the world and we are left to train with just a few, it makes things very difficult."

Liverpool will also be without long-term injured stars Andriy Voronin, Fabio Aurelio, Alvaro Arbeloa and Daniel Agger, while Xabi Alonso is suspended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Villain wrote: »
    Liverpool will also be without long-term injured stars Andriy Voronin, Fabio Aurelio, Alvaro Arbeloa.........

Injured stars and Voronin in the same sentence???
    Dont make me laugh.

Ive got a sneaky feeling that as bad as we are at the moment we have to turn a corner at some stage,soooooo im gonna predict a 2-1 victory for us tomorrow:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Ive got a sneaky feeling that as bad as we are at the moment we have to turn a corner at some stage,soooooo im gonna predict a 2-1 victory for us tomorrow:)

Ah no. Houllier has signed up to boards. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Personal ****ing issues
    Sex and sexuality
    Lesbian Bi and you

Seriously !!!

:D

kdjac

• Advertisement

Rafa:
    "What is evident is that back at that time we were in a great position and the team was in shape to win many of the games which we eventually drew," he told the News of the World.

Excuse

"So the entire process is what allowed the gap to open between us and the leaders.

"If I wanted, I have the perfect excuse. The only solution I have is to try to bury myself in my work."

Liverpool are currently 17 points behind table-toppers Arsenal and Benitez accepts that claiming the fourth UEFA Champions League berth is now his now their primary focus.

He said ahead of the game against Chelsea: "What is vital is that we win to enable us to fight for at least the fourth-placed spot."

Kinda ignoring the fact that they were slipping away before the whole thing started isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

were we not top of the table when they approached klinnsman? after beating derby 6-0

Derby was like the 3rd game of the season. This dispute emerged in November, by which time, their early lead over United was dwindling away, and Arsenal were breaking away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Rafa:

Kinda ignoring the fact that they were slipping away before the whole thing started isn't he?

We were and we weren't, but didn't we go into the united game needing a win to effectively be level with you. That's hardly out of it. I don't think we were out of it until after christmas really. We had an ok christmas, but the Man City game started the rot.

Before it went public.... I think that he is grasping a straws somewhat but we really don't know what was going on.

Derby was like the 3rd game of the season. This dispute emerged in November, by which time, their early lead over United was dwindling away, and Arsenal were breaking away.

Up until November.

2-1 Aston Villa 3
    1-1 Chelsea 1
    2-0 Sunderland 3
    6-0 Derby 3
    0-0 Portsmouth 1
    0-0 Birmingham 1
    1-0 Wigan 3
    1-1 Spurs 1
    2-1 Everton 3
    1-1 Arsenal 1
    0-0 Blackburn 1
    1-0 Fulham 1
    3-0 Newcastle 3

So by the end of November we had W6 D7 L0 P25. Still undefeated and not far off the top of the table.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

we had the league almost sown up . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

just another excuse. suprised rafa went public with it tbh.

we'd drawn far too many, which indicated we'd improved on our ability to get something out of every game, but havent improved at finishing teams off.

just wish everyone at the club would stfu. we're in no position to brag about anything as a club right now, so shutting the hell up would be the next best policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

tbh I don't read that as himing using it as an excuse. Rather him saying he could be using it if he wanted but is instead trying to get on with things. But of course by mentioning it at all it's using it as an excuse - I guess a lot depends on the question those comments were an answer to.

• Advertisement

Reina
    Finnan
    Riise
    Skrtel
    Carra
    Mascherano
    Lucas
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Crouch
    Kuyt

Subs
    Itandje
    San Jose
    Benayoun
    Pennant
    Kewell

Good to see San Jose getting a place on the bench.
    I just wish Insua was playing instead of Riise. Though it's probably not the time to try him out.

Who is San Jose ? :eek: Is he that teenager we signed from Bilbao ?

It may be 4-3-3 with Babel & Kuyt as wing forwards. If thats the case Rafa should play Benayoun instead of Kewell. If its a 4-4-2 it looks like a good lineup.

Who is San Jose ? :eek: Is he that teenager we signed from Bilbao ?

It may be 4-3-3 with Babel & Kuyt as wing forwards. If thats the case Rafa should play Benayoun instead of Kewell. If its a 4-4-2 it looks like a good lineup.

reserves CB. He looks a good prospect too.

Which of these dya think is more likely ?

4-4-2
    Gerrard--Lucas--Masch--Babel
    Kuyt
    Crouch

4-3-3
    Masch--Lucas
    Gerrard
    ---Kuyt
    Babel
    Crouch

Which of these dya think is more likely ?

4-4-2
    Gerrard--Lucas--Masch--Babel
    Kuyt
    Crouch

4-3-3
    Masch--Lucas
    Gerrard
    ---Kuyt
    Babel
    Crouch

i think the second. We will probably go like for like with Chelsea's formation

• Advertisement

imagine a youngster getting a chance in the liverpool team, that would be crazy.
    rafa just said those quotes a pure lies.

Rafa just said that the story about him saying hes not to blame is completely made up. He didnt speak to any journalist from that paper.

He said said that there is two papers in England that you can never trust and this is one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Much as it pains me.......... COME ON LIVERPOOL!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

for a young lad we all had so much hopes for,babel is looking ****,his passing and awareness is muck,they should put him up front because at the moment there is 12 million going to waste on the wing,a position he clearly doesnt feel comfortable,skrtle looks good,his passing is calm unlike carras hoof it motto

jesus you know nothing, if you now anything about football you would see that he is clearly isolated to the extent that he has no real options, if you can't see his potential you are completely blind.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement