Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

mayordenis wrote: »
    jesus you know nothing if you now anything about football you would see that he is clearly isolated to the extent that he has no real options, if you can't see his potential you are completely blind.

are you watching the samematch? a winger is supposed to beat his fullback,he is not and is either loosing the ball or stalling evertime and getting disposesed,he is a striker and not a winger,hopefully in time rafa will realise this

sorry for posting mayor dennis,you seem to know it all judging by all your posts in the soccer forum

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

no i'm not watching the same match probably a different one . . .
    watch again now and you will see them double up at least usually he's on his own against swp, belletti, and makalele, pretty much every time. but my problem with you is that you say its 12m going to waste is utter rubbish.
    i do agree however that yes he is a striker and a much better player there.

mayordenis wrote: »
    i do agree however that yes he is a striker and a much better player there.

completely agree,one of my main annoyences from rafa this season,esp with dirk and voronin being so bad,no excuse not to put him up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think what Rafa has been doing with Babel has been spot on. He's still very young and has to develope a lot of his game, the best place for him to do this is where he's been playing. Long term i think he'll either be a WF or an our and our striker for us, but he'll be better in the future for the time he's spending on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dc69, Cole & SWP haven't beaten the full back either yet, are they muck too ? I dont know where all this 'Babel' is a striker lark is coming from. He played as a wing forward or a winger for Ajax.

I'd rather he developed into a goal scoring winger. Has lots of potential and needs to get a run of games under his belt.

a wing forward in a dutch style 4-3-3 is really more of a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

decent half by us. crouchie should have scored from babels setup
    great connection on tvuplayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ye were very lucky not to have a penalty given against you, perhaps ref making up for the peno earlier in the season against Chelsea.

Villain wrote: »
    Ye were very lucky not to have a penalty given against you, perhaps ref making up for the peno earlier in the season against Chelsea.

nothing will ever make up for that stupid ****ing penalty lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

sweetie wrote: »

Which station is it on TVU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sweetie wrote: »

He should have scored from Kuyt's cross too. Pity he only seems to remember how to head a ball every few months.

Andy Gray "If he meant it, top marks son" refering to Riise's diving header back to Reina.
    He was hardly trying to blooody score, or course he meant it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Great build up play from Liverpool, just fantastic, that is until he passed to Kuyt who totally messed up the first touch. Great from mascherano. I think a draw is a fair enough result, although Chelsea will of course complain about the penalty.

I'd say Liverpool will be the happier, because Chelsea had a big chance to gain ground on United today and didn't take it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

PHB wrote: »
    Great build up play from Liverpool, just fantastic, that is until he passed to Kuyt who totally messed up the first touch. Great from mascherano. I think a draw is a fair enough result, although Chelsea will of course complain about the penalty.

I'd say Liverpool will be the happier, because Chelsea had a big chance to gain ground on United today and didn't take it.

Yeah I would say that over the 90 mins a draw was a fair result. Mind you Liverpool really needed the 3 points to try and open up some breathing space on those few teams fighting it out for 4th position.

Thought we were the better team but there wasn't much in it. Mascherano again having a great game. Skrtle also played very well.

We finished like this.

Crouch

Pennant--Lucas--Gerrard--Kuyt
    Mascherano

A right winger on the left wing and a striker on the right. Frustrating.

dissapointed with the result,we were the better team.poor kuyt,he works so hard,he aint gona score anything on the wing.i thought it was a performance that showed maybe we are coming back to some good form

Rafa should send Crouch out everyday for 8 hours with Intandje and Pennant to just cross and head balls all day. Crouch can learn to head a ball and Pennant can learn to cross one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Stekelly wrote: »
    Rafa should send Crouch out everyday for 8 hours with Intandje and Pennant to just cross and head balls all day. Crouch can learn to head a ball and Pennant can learn to cross one.
    Itandje should bring a book to pass the time between saves :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Good performance and thats definitely the formation Rafa wants to use. He just needs another winger for the right and Torres up top and he will have exactly what he wants in that part of the pitch anyway.

A good point but as Andy Gray said, Chelsea were definitely there for the taking today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I thought Liverpool were going to score but that quality was just lacking in a few players at times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

One thing stud out in this game and it was the amount of hand balls,I cant remember the last time I seen so many in a game it was like watching a bog ball match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Villa has said he'd be interested in a move to the Premiership and Valencia's director has said should a reasonable offer come in they would consider it.

Would he fit into LFC? Him and Torres playing up front, only time I've seen them play together was in WC2006 where they looked lethal. Has the partnership developed in recent Spain games?

Villa has said he'd be interested in a move to the Premiership and Valencia's director has said should a reasonable offer come in they would consider it.

Would he fit into LFC? Him and Torres playing up front, only time I've seen them play together was in WC2006 where they looked lethal. Has the partnership developed in recent Spain games?

Would cost serious serious cash. Surely at least 25m ? Would be a great buy though.

How many clubs have a forward pairing that are also the first choice pairing for their countries ?

Utd have Tevez and Rooney
    Spurs have Berba and Keane

Those are just off the top of my head. I really rate Villa though, I actually would have taken him over Torres last summer when rumours were abound (I didn't think Torres would suit the EPL, glad to be proved wrong though). Only thing I'd be hesitant on is with Torres and Villa together there's no real aerial threat so Carra's hoofed balls would just be pointless...

would love to get him alright. Hasn't Aragones started playing with just 1 up front though? Haven't seen them play in a bit but that was what he favoured for a while anyway.

Would love to raid Valencia though, just throw 40million at them to get Villa and david silva ideally or else Joaquin (wouldnt even mind Vicente for a lesser price)

• Advertisement

Utd have Tevez and Rooney
    Spurs have Berba and Keane

Those are just off the top of my head. I really rate Villa though, I actually would have taken him over Torres last summer when rumours were abound (I didn't think Torres would suit the EPL, glad to be proved wrong though). Only thing I'd be hesitant on is with Torres and Villa together there's no real aerial threat so Carra's hoofed balls would just be pointless...

I think he means who has the 2 main strikers for the same country, like Villa and Torres would be. I wouldnt be too worried about torres and villa for height though, both decent in the air, especially torres. Lot bigger then he looks

Ah right, fair enough so. I know Torres is big but it's not really a strength of his game. Would the 4-3-3 work with those two? I think Villa has experience playing in that sort of role (again I'm thinking back to WC06 where he might have been used like that aswell)

Anyways, I doubt we'd get him but it would be nice to see him come to us and not go to Chelski as then I'd have to hate him!

Villa & Torres are the first choice pairing for Spain...I was wondering is there many first choice pairings that play for club & country. Not sure about Villa in a 4-3-3 as he does most of his good work in the box when Ive seen him.

Torres
    Babel
    Villa

I think hes more suited to a 4-4-2

Torres and Villa are both v.good in the air, Zapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Only time I can remember was Heskey and Owen back in the Liverpool days

funnily enough Villa just scored a great goal against Betis.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    funnily enough Villa just scored a great goal against Betis.

Just got a nice assist as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I managed to see some of the second half of the game, both sides cancelled each other out as far as I could tell. One point is more than we usually get from Stamford Bridge these days so I guess thats some sort of progress.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Dub13 wrote: »
    One thing stud out in this game and it was the amount of hand balls,I cant remember the last time I seen so many in a game it was like watching a bog ball match.
    Ha, ha, I thought I was the only person using that phrase :).
    mike65 wrote: »
    I managed to see some of the second half of the game, both sides cancelled each other out as far as I could tell. One point is more than we usually get from Stamford Bridge these days so I guess thats some sort of progress.

Mike.
    I agree. I was waiting for some sort of deflected sickener late on but thankfully it never came.
    Skrtel looked very assured today. He seems a lot more comfortable on the ball than Carragher. It's a pity Crouch couldn't have put away one of his chances as all 3 points would have been much appreciated in the race for Champions League places.

The lads on the Premiership were talking about the games against the top 4 under Rafa again. We've managed a massive 16 points from 22 games. ie we've dropped 50. :eek: Theres really no excuse, that has to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Having watched the chelsea game and the Valencia game in the same day, I believe the campaign should start now : Villa should be our #1 priority for the summer transfer window. What a footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

DaBreno wrote: »
    Having watched the chelsea game and the Valencia game in the same day, I believe the campaign should start now : Villa should be our #1 priority for the summer transfer window. What a footballer.

+1.The man is pure quality.Him and torres and crouch would be one hell of a front line.:)

Villa is a magical player, but there's no way he'll go for less than 25 million, probably 30. I think he'd be pretty good in Liverpool, probably a better buy than Torres, but can Liverpool afford to buy him is the big question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well if the Yanks back up their talk with action then yes, otherwise it could be another grim transfer window for us.

Well if the Yanks back up their talk with action then yes, otherwise it could be another grim transfer window for us.

another ?

During the summer we bought Torres, Lucas, Babel, Benayoun & Voronin. In the January window we got Skrtel and Mascherano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Tusky wrote: »
    another ?

During the summer we bought Torres, Lucas, Babel, Benayoun & Voronin. In the January window we got Skrtel and Mascherano.

Yet despite this, Benitez thinks the Americans have screwed him over, and some fans think the Americans have never backed him. They gave him FIFTY million pounds in the summer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

In the January window we got Skrtel and Mascherano.

Technically that's not true. It's Feb now and Masch is still not signed - soon hopefully though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

another ?

How short some peoples memories are...

One swallow does not a summer make Tusky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Yet despite this, Benitez thinks the Americans have screwed him over, and some fans think the Americans have never backed him. They gave him FIFTY million pounds in the summer!!

And Rafa brought back in 26. His net spend was around 20 or thereabouts. So saying they gave him 50 million is plain wrong.

Well realistically I don't think anyone expects 50 million net spend. But if Rafa wants to bring in at least one winger and one striker, and Mascherano, I can't see them spending 30 million on Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

And Rafa brought back in 26. His net spend was around 20 or thereabouts. So saying they gave him 50 million is plain wrong.

I dont hear Wenger complaining

Top 5 07/08

Real Madrid 119.000.000 players in,31.300.000 players out, 87.700.000 spent

Manchester United 86.300.000 players in, 45.150.000 in players out, 41.150.000 spent

FC Liverpool 84.050.000 players in,34.250.000 players out, 49.800.000 spent

Atletico Madrid 84.000.000 players in,52.500.000 players out, 31.500.000 spent

FC Bayern München 79.000.000 players in,36.150.000 players out, 42.850.000spent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Is it really time for the whole how much Rafa has spent and how badly he's spent it thing again ? Was sure we had at least another couple of days to go before it came round again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Manchester United 86.300.000 players in, 45.150.000 in players out, 41.150.000 spent

When was this 86 million spent apparently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

i dont think rafa will spend another 25 million on another striker

if ye are saying that he will play this 4-3-3 system, it'd be madness, as villa would be wasted on teh wing, the chap is a goalscorer, nothing else and he's not going to change his game at this age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Dub13 wrote: »

Yeah i thought it was a bit mad how the ref booked babel and baletti from chelsea (think it was him) then decided not to book anyone else for handball after that, even when ballack pulled the ball from reinas hand!! good ould referees consistancy!

• Advertisement

I dont hear Wenger complaining

Top 5 07/08

Real Madrid 119.000.000 players in,31.300.000 players out, 87.700.000 spent

FC Liverpool 84.050.000 players in,34.250.000 players out, 49.800.000 spent

Atletico Madrid 84.000.000 players in,52.500.000 players out, 31.500.000 spent

FC Bayern München 79.000.000 players in,36.150.000 players out, 42.850.000spent

First off I assume this is euro's. Secondly whats the source as those figures still look wrong. For all we know these could be quoting things like Torres being 26-28million pounds rather then the actual 20 etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement