Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its a stange one, cant understand why he'd do it, but its his choice and i don't think he should be lynched for it, but he should expect a fair amount of stick anytime spotted around Anfield! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

its a stange one, cant understand why he'd do it, but its his choice and i don't think he should be lynched for it, but he should expect a fair amount of stick anytime spotted around Anfield! :)

Why? The sun is a completely different paper to the NOTW. I know they are made by the same company but they are different papers.

I wouldnt mind it if he went. I personally love to read the sports section of the NOTW on a sun mornin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

copacetic wrote:
    Just on this, what do people think about Bascombes rumoured move to the NOTW?

Meh.. some of his end of season "very little money in the kitty" type stuff probably showed up that he wasn't in the loop enough as he'd like others to think. Good journalist, but being as local as he was, it would be expected that he would have the contacts he has.

As well, I know they're from the same stable, but at least its not the s*n.

well actually, the news of the world is the sunday edition of the s*n as far as i'm aware.

Looks like we've signed another centre back as well... from Real Madrid from what I can make out. Other links other than TB confirm this.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=55300

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well thats the reasoning I have heard, it is the 'sunday sun'. I'm not sure thats fair, as by that reasoning the sunday times, sky etc should all be of limits as they are all the same group.

The Sindo and the independent and the Herald here are more closely linked that the Sun and NOTW and they are very different papers editorially wise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Stky10 wrote:
    Looks like we've signed another centre back as well... from Real Madrid from what I can make out. Other links other than TB confirm this.

Can you post up the article please??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

well actually, the news of the world is the sunday edition of the s*n as far as i'm aware.

As far as I know you are right millersangel. Must try my friend google to check for sure

** According to wikipedia it true (Means there is probably a 50% chance it is right)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_of_the_World

jonny24ie wrote:
    Can you post up the article please??

Two sources..
    Liverpool raid Real Madrid juniors for Hernandez
    tribalfooball.com - September 04, 2007
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/images2/spacer.gif
    Spanish youngster Aridine Hernandez is on his way to Liverpool.
    The Mirror says Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has beaten Real Madrid for the 18 year-old centre-half.
    The Spanish website fuerteventuradigital.com reports that Aridane Hernandez Umpierrez has signed a contract with Liverpool. Aridane will arrive at Liverpool in a couple of days. The player is originally from Fuerteventura, one of the Canarie Islands, and he is born on march the 23th 1989 in Tuineje. He played for the local club Gran Tarajal as a kid, before he went to Real Valladolid as a youngster. there he ended up winning the league championship in the youngster grade. In 2005-06 he was regional champion in the youngster grade (don't know the english names when it comes to youth grades in football). Then Real Madrid took interest in the player, and brought him to the capital. The next season he was in the youth team which ended 2nd in the youth championship.

Aridane Hernandez played a trial game for Liverpool during the talents cup in the Netherlands in the beginning of August. According to our information, he is a centreback.

The young player will use his stay at Liverpool to promote a little extra for the holiday isle Fuerteventura, and wants the name on the back of his shirt the day he eventually breaks into the first team. Yesterday he and his representative Vicente Miranda were all set at Fuerteventura to talk about having signed for Liverpool FC. The picture is from the local turist office on Fuerteventura. Aridane Hernandez to he left and Agueda Montelongo, advisor at the turist office to the right.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

marco_polo wrote:
    As far as I know you are right millersangel. Must try my friend google to check for sure

** According to wikipedia it true (Means there is probably a 50% chance it is right)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_of_the_World

Do they have the same editorial staff, or anything like that?

The Hillsborough Justice Campaign have never said anything about boycotting the News of the World as far as I'm aware?

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/boycott-the-sun.shtm

I think they don't want the boycott diluted, because as some people here have already pointed out, where do you stop? The Sun.. Sky Sports.. anything owned by Rupert Murdoch?

You can be pretty sure that if a Liverpudlian so close to LFC like Chris Bascombe is going to work for the News of the World, he doesn't seem to think there's a boycott or stigma around them. You would think he would know more than we would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

spockety wrote:
    Do they have the same editorial staff, or anything like that?

The Hillsborough Justice Campaign have never said anything about boycotting the News of the World as far as I'm aware?

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/boycott-the-sun.shtm

I think they don't want the boycott diluted, because as some people here have already pointed out, where do you stop? The Sun.. Sky Sports.. anything owned by Rupert Murdoch?

You can be pretty sure that if a Liverpudlian so close to LFC like Chris Bascombe is going to work for the News of the World, he doesn't seem to think there's a boycott or stigma around them. You would think he would know more than we would.

there does seem to be a bit of a storm brewing over it among fan sites, and apparently he was very concerned about the reaction among supporters.

copacetic wrote:
    there does seem to be a bit of a storm brewing over it among fan sites, and apparently he was very concerned about the reaction among supporters.

Hmm, there's a lot of 'apparently' and 'as far as I'm aware' type of stuff being said here now about it.

Can anyone definitely say if as far as the Hillsborough Justice Campaign and the families are concerned there is a boycott on the News of the World?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Stky10 wrote:

Not Heinze then ? :rolleyes:

spockety wrote:
    Hmm, there's a lot of 'apparently' and 'as far as I'm aware' type of stuff being said here now about it.

Can anyone definitely say if as far as the Hillsborough Justice Campaign and the families are concerned there is a boycott on the News of the World?

apparently is a word, whats your problem with me using it?

He spoke directly to someone who posts a lot on one of the forums who then posted about their conversation.

check out RAWK and others for plenty more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I am delighted to read that. It was a very spiteful and deliberate thing to do in what was a well-behaved game otherwise.

copacetic wrote:
    apparently is a word, whats your problem with me using it?

It doesn't qualify what you're saying ;)

Apparently I'm a sex god, for example.
    He spoke directly to someone who posts a lot on one of the forums who then posted about their conversation.

check out RAWK and others for plenty more.

Well didn't Micheal Owen and Stevie G both do News of the World things around their autobiographies? I think Owen actually sought and got the approval of the Hillsborough families before doing it.

Bascombe knew the reaction it would cause, but decided that for the good of his career, he couldnt afford to turn down the job. must have been a very tough decision for him to make, i have some sympathy for him though.

as for the s*n - news of the world connection, not really the same as comparing the s*n with sky just cause murdough owns them both, the Notw is to the S*n, wat the sunday mirror is to the mirror in my eyes, one and the same. They share a lot of staff (different offices though) but people switch between jobs with the two very frequently.

Does Mc Kenzie even have a column now in the NOTW or is that the S*n???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On the "96", I don't like the empty seats idea either. A simple memorial outside the main entrance would be enough.

As for Bascombe - so what? He's got a living to consider, working for the worlds biggest selling English langauge paper beats a local rag (even if its the one you've been at for your professional life thus far) and the NOTW is only related to the Stun by ownership and format and excitible attitudes not editorial staff.

Mike.

spockety wrote:
    Well didn't Micheal Owen and Stevie G both do News of the World things around their autobiographies? I think Owen actually sought and got the approval of the Hillsborough families before doing it.

true enough, but both players went down in the eyes of a lot of the fans because of it. . .Bascombe was an outspoken/avid supporter of the ban on the s*n as far as i know, so its a tad different.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote:
    It doesn't qualify what you're saying ;)

actually, that is exactly what it does. I believe it to be true
    but I qualified the statement as I hadn't spoken to Chris first hand.

mike65 wrote:
    NOTW is only related to the Stun by ownership and format and excitible attitudes not editorial staff.

Mike.

think the relationship is a little more than than mike. cant say for sure cause i obviously dont read either but, dont the NOTW run ads for the s*n and vice versa?

NOTW = Sunday S*n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

you sure it was a stamp? i have seen the replays on the news just now, it looks more like he puts his hand on his face/throat and pushes him down.. but definatly not a stamp!! 4 game ban on the way me thinks

think the relationship is a little more than than mike. cant say for sure cause i obviously dont read either but, dont the NOTW run ads for the s*n and vice versa?

NOTW = Sunday S*n

So I presume the NOTW ran with similar stories to The Sun in the aftermath of Hillsborough? Assuming they have a crossover in editorial staff and journalists etc?

By the way, I'm not trying to defend the NOTW, I boycott it myself, but not because of Hillsborough, but because it's an incredibly ****e newspaper.
    But if you extend the Hillsborough boycott to the NOTW, where exactly do you stop it?

kryogen wrote:
    you sure it was a stamp? i have seen the replays on the news just now, it looks more like he puts his hand on his face/throat and pushes him down.. but definatly not a stamp!! 4 game ban on the way me thinks

he stamped on the back of his calf when he was lying in the ground.

It was as clear as day. You saw a different incident from later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yeah maybe, i was fairly sure it was the same incident, granted i didnt play attention to what was happening below the waist as i just noticed his hands on his neck. arbeloa was on the ground at the time and the ball was gone out of play?? same incident? meh, like i said, 4 game ban on the way!!

spockety wrote:
    So I presume the NOTW ran with similar stories to The Sun in the aftermath of Hillsborough? Assuming they have a crossover in editorial staff and journalists etc?

By the way, I'm not trying to defend the NOTW, I boycott it myself, but not because of Hillsborough, but because it's an incredibly ****e newspaper.
    But if you extend the Hillsborough boycott to the NOTW, where exactly do you stop it?

not sure wat stories they ran with.

you stop the boycott with the NOTW. It hasnt been extended to the NOTW, as you said, the boycott always included the NOTW for the reasons i've pointed out above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

kryogen wrote:
    yeah maybe, i was fairly sure it was the same incident, granted i didnt play attention to what was happening below the waist as i just noticed his hands on his neck. arbeloa was on the ground at the time and the ball was gone out of play?? same incident? meh, like i said, 4 game ban on the way!!

It may be the same one, i watched it a good few times on sky plus as i couldnt believe he actually did it. Its when Arbeloa is on the ground, fagan walks over, this is where the stamp is, then a second later fagan kind of stumbles/falls which is where they have a tangle and the hands are out, which may be what your talking about. I didnt notice the stamp the first time but rewound when they mentioned it. Was really bad though, i cant see how it could have been an accident. He walks straight over and his foot comes straight down on arbeloa's leg. Much much deserved ban hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah that stamp was nasty, initially I thought it was Arbeloa feigning injury but I saw the replay, disgusting...his unction was utterly despicable, trying to save his own skin...which invariably he did, until now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spanish player feigning injury? Never!

Good to see it was picked up on, and I don't recall Liverpool having to make a fuss to the FA about it.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

mike65 wrote:
    Spanish player feigning injury? Never!

Good to see it was picked up on, and I don't recall Liverpool having to make a fuss to the FA about it.

Mike

That's exactly what I thought, another Spanish player play-acting! Like the boy who cried wolf...kind of...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Season 2004/05(After 4 games)
    14 Aug, 2004 Tottenham Hotspur Barclays Premiership A 12:45 1-1
    21 Aug, 2004 Manchester City Barclays Premiership H 15:00 2-1
    29 Aug, 2004 Bolton Wanderers Barclays Premiership A 16:05 0-1
    11 Sep, 2004 West Brom Barclays Premiership H 15:00 3-0
    (7 points)
    Season 2005/06(After 4 games)
    13 Aug, 2005 Middlesbrough Barclays Premiership A 17:15 0-0
    20 Aug, 2005 Sunderland Barclays Premiership H 15:00 1-0
    10 Sep, 2005 Tottenham Hotspur Barclays Premiership A 15:00 0-0
    18 Sep, 2005 Manchester United Barclays Premiership H 12:00 0-0
    (6 points)
    Season 2006/07(After 4 games)
    19 Aug, 2006 Sheffield United Barclays Premiership A 12:45 1-1
    26 Aug, 2006 West Ham United Barclays Premiership H 12:45 2-1
    09 Sep, 2006 Everton Barclays Premiership A 12:45 0-3
    17 Sep, 2006 Chelsea Barclays Premiership A 13:30 0-1
    (4 points)

Now compared it to this season there is some improvement made:
    11 Aug, 2007 Aston Villa Barclays Premier League A 17:15 2-1
    19 Aug, 2007 Chelsea Barclays Premier League H 16:00 1-1
    25 Aug, 2007 Sunderland Barclays Premier League A 12:45 2-0
    01 Sep, 2007 Derby County Barclays Premier League H 15:00 6-0
    (10 points)

So far so good....!!!

Reserves draw 1-1 with Boro. The game last week probably helped Leto with his fitness a lot, so by the sounds of things he might be a decent first team player this season.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156899070904-2123.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Bernd Schuster looks like he can't cope with Rafa's tactics on the European front :D :

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/09/05/manual_084636.html

Just a tad peeved I would think to see a "semi-Spanish side" finishing third in the Premier league doing pretty well in the Champion's League recently and especially putting one over on Barca, Madrid's greatest rivals.

As for the 'ugly' description of Liverpool, perhaps we may be about to turn the corner in that regard?

can someone post up that article pleeeease!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

starman100 wrote:
    Bernd Schuster...

Bernd Schuster has a big mouth for a manager who has won exactly nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

can someone post up that article pleeeease!
    Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster has branded Liverpool "unattractive" and "ugly".

The German, who took charge at the Santiago Bernabeu in the summer, believes the Reds are one of Real's main rivals for the Champions League this season, but is not a fan of Rafael Benitez's style of football.

He told Spanish daily AS: "Liverpool rely on an unattractive style of football. They are an ugly team to play.

"Look how they really gave Barcelona a going-over last season, when they knocked them out of the Champions League. That's what I mean.

"I would rate Liverpool, like AC Milan, as our major rivals for the Champions League this season.

"They never tire of winning big trophies."

Schuster believes his side can retain the Spanish Primera Liga, as well as winning their 10th European Cup, after spending around £80million in the summer.

He said: "Signing (Gabriel) Heinze when he wasn't allowed to join Liverpool took a weight off my shoulders.

"We were desperate for exactly that type of player.

"As for Arjen Robben, the mess Chelsea made of allowing us to sign him has left him without a proper pre-season.

"Robben needs this international break to train hard and get ready for action with us later this month."

not much in it really

thats not too bad. saying we ''gave barca a going over'' is surely a compliment?

Obviously just a bit bitter that the Real board wanted Rafa to have his job, must hurt being second choice :)

Thanks btw Mr Wolf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

kryogen wrote:
    at the risk of sounding stupid.....what????!! can you explain your post please?

Pos Pld Gd Pts
    1. - Liverpool 4 9 10
    8. - Man Utd. 5 1 8

that gap. man utd fans love reminding pool heads about how there was always too much of a gap to overcome, when the shoe is on the other foot tho.... ^^

didnt see the arbeloa stamp untill now :/ hate to see that sort of thing. so far so good is all any if us can really say. Although I do think Jose has a very good point about how pretty much every team in the league are going to be far tougher then last season. Derby are by far the worst side, but nearly every other team has the potential to beat us imo (taking into account things like luck, poor performances, injury etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't think that Schuster quote is too bad either. Possibly a mis-translation to English? It's definitely a compliment and great to hear that we are listed as main rivals rather than Man Utd or Chelsea.

• Advertisement

does anyone know when the Liverpool TV station is starting???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

does anyone know when the Liverpool TV station is starting???

Is it not the end of this month??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6979674.stm

World Cup refs 'targeted Crouch'

Former referee Graham Poll says officials at last summer's World Cup were encouraged by Fifa to "look out for" England striker Peter Crouch.
    Crouch, 26,
    is banned for the Euro 2008 qualifier against Israel on Saturday and Poll says that is no surprise.

He told BBC 5live: "Fifa's head of refereeing said, 'look at Crouch, he's a pain and he gets away with a lot. We need to mark him out and look for him'.

"We were shown videos of him. I tried to defend him, being English."
    Poll added: "Before last year's tournament in Germany, we watched England's warm-up games.

"We had been out there for two or three weeks before, and it was pointed out the way he used his arms.

"Now, Crouch has been picking up cautions in qualifying and is out of Saturday's match."
    Recalled Wigan striker Emile Heskey could be set to partner Michael Owen in Crouch's absence on Saturday.

Crouch will be available when England take on Russia in another crucial Euro 2008 qualifier next Wednesday.

What say ye? I think it's harsh.

Refs don't know how to deal with Crouch, the amount of free outs that are wrongly given against him is beyond belief

Refs don't know how to deal with Crouch, the amount of free outs that are wrongly given against him is beyond belief
    Same with Drogba and to a degree Rooney. Any striker who is willing to get stuck into defenders and not shy away from their duties to harass defenders and make life hard for them has this problem.

Its not as big of a problem as the OTT protection goalkeepers get but its still an issue. Crouch gets fouled a lot cos defenders dont know hot to deal with his height (even though he isnt the best header of the ball, he still a danger cos he pretty much has a free header all the time cos nobody can reach him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

It was the same with Heskey, both players are penalised because they have a physical advantage over most other players. All a player has to do is fall to the ground when challanged, Nine times out of ten the ref will award a free. Crouch/Heskey's crime was simply standing their ground.

Crouch is not a dirty player. Big guys have it rough.

i aint talking about the physical side of his game per say, i mean more the fact that a lot of the time when wins a header, the refs give a free out cause he wins it with such ease that they feel he must have fouled the defender, the fact that he is a 6ft7 bean pole obviously slips their mind!

A lot of those types of frees are given for the striker backing into the defender. Refs take the easy route a lot of the time cos theyre scared to give an offensive free kick which could result in a goal and later on replays show it should have been a free out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

poor oul crouch, the amount of time i've seen a foul go against him when by rights he should have been the one getting the free kick is ridiculous, even in the prem to a lesser extend.

targeting one player in particular shouldn't be allowed. it's just creating a bias against, nothing fair about it. pressure should be put on FIFA to overhaul how they breif the refs and such. remember the mess of 98 where defenders were afraid to tackle as the refs were told to show red cards liberally? there's always something controversial...

remember the mess of 98 where defenders were afraid to tackle as the refs were told to show red cards liberally? there's always something controversial...

I thought there were far too many needless red cards in 06 to be honest. Ruined a lot of the games....Portugal Holland for example. I remember seeing Gio van Bronchurst sitting with Deco after theyd both been sent off and it was such a funny sight cos they both had this look about them which summed up how anyone who was watching the match was feeling.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement