Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    First off I assume this is euro's. Secondly whats the source as those figures still look wrong. For all we know these could be quoting things like Torres being 26-28million pounds rather then the actual 20 etc.

does it matter? this debate has been resurrected too many times. if squall20 wants to know; he can go back through the thread where all figures and arguments are covered- otherwise he is just trying to ruffle a few feathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Yet despite this, Benitez thinks the Americans have screwed him over, and some fans think the Americans have never backed him. They gave him FIFTY million pounds in the summer!!

Emmmm...no they didnt.They gave him 28.5 million in total and the rest was made up from sales.Uniteds net spend was more than double that.Rafa is still shopping in Aldi for the players(Torres aside) when he should be in harrods.Open your eyes and dont believe a figure that has been thrown out there by the media without any real insight.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Skertle (sp?) looked super yesterday.
    Mascherano is great.
    Crouch isnt near clinical enough.
    Kuyt isnt near clinical enough.

Deserved a win. But a point is progress i suppose! :)

Villa would be sweet in the summer, cant see it happening though.

Anyone sticking up for the Yanks is clueless to be honest. Check up on it, they havent given Rafa any real support except Torres, but that is surely due to the money from the increased television revenue which Moores would have no doubt been able to provide. The rest of the signings have simply been the kind of signing that we were able to make before they arrived, or signing that make "business" sense for us to make. They were meant to move us onto the next level, financially, as of yet, they havent and in the process of not moving us on, they publically undermined our manager and our clubs traditions.

I'd love us to get a net spend of around 50 million in the summer, and Rafa to make 3 BIG buys. When he has spent big money on players, Rafa has proven he can do it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    I dont hear Wenger complaining

Top 5 07/08

Real Madrid 119.000.000 players in,31.300.000 players out, 87.700.000 spent

Manchester United 86.300.000 players in, 45.150.000 in players out, 41.150.000 spent

FC Liverpool 84.050.000 players in,34.250.000 players out, 49.800.000 spent

Atletico Madrid 84.000.000 players in,52.500.000 players out, 31.500.000 spent

FC Bayern München 79.000.000 players in,36.150.000 players out, 42.850.000spent

Where you got those figures:D The S*n.Load of ****

please lets not get into the transfer thing again.....really has been done a million times (at least)

• Advertisement

oh and special mention goes to Rafa Benitez for his rant against the SUN/NOTW yesterday about the story that was being discussed earlier in the thread.

"everyone in Liverpool knows there is two papers you cannot trust, this is one of them. They made it up. They are liars".

go on Rafa! :):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I thought Liverpool did okay yesterday. The formation was a 4-4-2 but Gerrard has licenc to move across the pitch more with Masch and Lucas as the two central midfielders. Kuyt roaming out wide. A fluid formation.

Liverpool fully deserving the draw and shading it if anything, with 11 attempts to Chelsea's measly 5. Mind you, there was always this background feeling that Chelsea could have stolen it, as is typical in Liverpool matches although it waould have been undeserved.

Skrtel did well I thought, good signs. Hopefully he will get to be as dependable as Agger was/is and give us a good choice in there. Mascherano was solid. Babel was a good outlet at times but couldnt get through a solid Chelsea defence. Kuyt ran and ran as he does without providing anything. Gerrard did okay but he had a few wayward passes. Carra and Finnan both good. Crouch did okay. Lucas didnt do a hell of a lot really. I think Alonso when fit is better than him. We missed Torres. They missed Drogba. The result helps Arsenal.

It was an okay result for us, but with all 3 of Everton, Man City and Villa winning the fight remains tough. Still, it could have been worse and I'm happy with a point away to Chelsea.

By the way, this 18-year old lad was on the bench:
    Mikel San Jose Dominguez (born 30 May 1989) is a Spanish footballer, currently playing for Liverpool. He plays as a centre back but is also very versatile and can cover other defensive positions. He was signed for £270,000 in the summer of 2006 from Athletic Bilbao and was an unused substitute in Liverpool's stalemate with rivals Chelsea on the 10 February 2008

is he any good (obviously early days)? Was Hyypia injured?

Redspider

from a superb source:

DIC have purchased Gillettes share of Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr Alan wrote: »
    from a superb source:

DIC have purchased Gillettes share of Liverpool.

!

any confirmation? How superb? Basically can i be happy or am i set up for a fall?

Bloke who runs one of the main fanzines. Has connections with the club big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Hopefully Tony Barrett will have an update on this today if there has indeed been some progress made over the weekend. Until I see something from the likes of him I won't be getting too excited about it.

Tony Barrett and this lad are cut from the same cloth if ya know wat i mean.

This seems to have originated from a poster on RAOTL who's since updated to say that one source is telling him the deal is done and another is saying something may kinda sorted have been agreed but it hasn't necessarily all been formalised yet.

have faith!

feel a little sorry for Gillette, he really messed up getting Hicks on board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't feel sorry for any of them. I want someone running that club who has money to bring in players the like of David Villa and not just plunge us into debt. The Americans lied. Head off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

redspider wrote: »
    I thought Liverpool did okay yesterday. The formation was a 4-4-2 but Gerrard has licenc to move across the pitch more with Masch and Lucas as the two central midfielders. Kuyt roaming out wide. A fluid formation.

Liverpool fully deserving the draw and shading it if anything, with 11 attempts to Chelsea's measly 5. Mind you, there was always this background feeling that Chelsea could have stolen it, as is typical in Liverpool matches although it waould have been undeserved.

Skrtel did well I thought, good signs. Hopefully he will get to be as dependable as Agger was/is and give us a good choice in there. Mascherano was solid. Babel was a good outlet at times but couldnt get through a solid Chelsea defence. Kuyt ran and ran as he does without providing anything. Gerrard did okay but he had a few wayward passes. Carra and Finnan both good. Crouch did okay. Lucas didnt do a hell of a lot really. I think Alonso when fit is better than him. We missed Torres. They missed Drogba. The result helps Arsenal.

Redspider

Kuyt stuck a great cross onto Crouch's head that he really should have scored from.

As for the DIC stuff. As usual, I'm not gettin gmy hopes up and will wait for confirmation.

i actually thought Kuyt had a good game yesterday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i actually thought Kuyt had a good game yesterday :)

I missed the first half and only got it on highlights, but I was happy with him too.

I see no Riise mentions from anyone, are we only allowed say bad things bout him?

monkey9 wrote: »
    I don't feel sorry for any of them. I want someone running that club who has money to bring in players the like of David Villa and not just plunge us into debt. The Americans lied. Head off

well actually, they only "lied" because of Hicks actions since their take over. All his statements for quite some time have been made by him individually. gillette is loved by his teams fans in the USA (unlike Hicks who is universally despised)

i want them both out too, but Gillette seems to be a decent enough fella, supposedly fighting to not have debt placed on the club, supporting Rafa etc etc

Yeah, Kuyt did ok. I find it hard to criticise him because he works hard and creates space for others to run into. But ultimately, he is a striker and his goal tally is just awful. He's too slow for the premiership and he never finds himself in goalscoring positions enough because he's either crossing the ball or behind the play after closing someone down. I think Rafa should tell him in the next couple of games to just concentrate on getting himself into the box and getting goals just to bring his confidence back up

• Advertisement

ah go on then......

Riise had an alright game. Had my heart in my mouth with that header near the end though! he obviously has more faith in his ability than i have! :)

thats all you're getting.

hes still ****e! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

oh and special mention goes to Rafa Benitez for his rant against the SUN/NOTW yesterday about the story that was being discussed earlier in the thread.

"everyone in Liverpool knows there is two papers you cannot trust, this is one of them. They made it up. They are liars".

go on Rafa! :):):):)

Which story??
    I read the thread, so much going on I can't recall what it was?

think the NOTW yesterday ran a story of Rafa slating the Yanks, blaming them for Liverpools poor season.

They made it up though.

The article was written by Rob Beasley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im not believing ANYTHING about anymore takeovers or DIC. The amount of 'insider' stories that have been knocking around on various forums all from various 'top sources' is silly. None of them have come true. I'll believe it when its on www.liverpoolfc.tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

think the NOTW yesterday ran a story of Rafa slating the Yanks, blaming them for Liverpools poor season.

They made it up though.

Hey Alan, do you have a link to Benitez's response on this. Sounds like a good one.

No i dont, but if you find it, let me know! it was his pre-match interview on Sky. Super stuff. He sounds like Al Pacino in Carlitos Way when he gets angry :)

Tusky wrote: »
    I'll believe it when its on www.liverpoolfc.tv.
    That'll be about 3 months after it happened then and probably another 2 months before coco finds out about it

www.liverpoolfc.tv is the worst website for anything to do with Liverpool!!

they dont even mention trabs there :(

• Advertisement

www.liverpoolfc.tv is the worst website for anything to do with Liverpool!!

they dont even mention trabs there :(

trabs ? :confused:

They announce transfers and big news as soon as it is official though. They are the only site you can properly trust.
    Hey Alan, do you have a link to Benitez's response on this. Sounds like a good one.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=580933

No i dont, but if you find it, let me know! it was his pre-match interview on Sky. Super stuff. He sounds like Al Pacino in Carlitos Way when he gets angry :)

Rob Beasley probably woke up this morning to find a horse's head on his pillow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Stekelly wrote: »
    I missed the first half and only got it on highlights, but I was happy with him too.

I see no Riise mentions from anyone, are we only allowed say bad things bout him?

Well he only does bad things.he was dire going forward yesterday. His attempted backheel yesterday at the end sums him up completely. he can't make the simplest of passes, support Babel, get in a decent cross, and he has the arrogance to try a back heel, when an easy pass was on to (I think) Pennant in a good position.

trabs ? :confused:

:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek:

essential Liverpool footwear!

thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Discussion of the takeover has been blocked on several big Liverpool discussion boards.

Take from that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Kuyt stuck a great cross onto Crouch's head that he really should have scored from.

Maybe I missed that, or maybe didnt notice it! Kuyt doesnt produce much. He does run and run and does defend and is "in there" defending from the front as it were, but currently his passing moves aren't coming off, he is not getting into good scoring positions and when he does he makes a complete mess of them. Its just not working out for him this season and I dont know what the solution is. I cant see im holding down a starting place long-term. In games where we have to defend with 11 players, yes, he is better at that than Torres and Crouch. But that's all as far as I can see.

As for Riise, he did okay, but only okay. He added little to providing width and coming up from the the back, and he was less affective than Finnan on the opposite side. He doesnt have brilliant defensive qualities. The quality that he does have is some pace at times and a very fast and powerful shot on his left foot, very very powerful and unstopable if on target and not too close to the goalie (and also not from 40 yards!). But he hasnt had so many of those chances this season and any he has had he hasnt put away or let the trigger go. Also, he is so one footed that most defenders know him by now and guide him on to the right foot where he has no power or accuracy at all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/live_text/6183193.stm
    would seem to concur.

The highlights for me were Masch and Skrtel .....

Redspider

mike65 wrote: »

Those 5 pages of discussion on the deal just got deleted. Something is obviously happening anyway..reminds me of when the leaked images of the new stadium came out and all the forums topics on it got deleted one by one.

One of the last posts before deletion was someone saying the deal was done as far as Gilette could do, but that its the banks holding it up. Since the refinancing deal was put in place, there is a buy out penalty to repay it all now, meaning DIC would still have to pay most of the interest expected over the 18months rather then just being able to pay it off. This makes it less attractive to DIC as Hicks is demanding his profit. If he was willing to drop because of this DIC would press on, but they dont want to have to pay off extra to both the bank and Hicks.

I cant even remember the last time Kuyt took a shot... It has been around 14 games since he scored at this stage. His goals to games ratio isnt even 1 in 5.

I heard from someone today that a part of a stadium in America built by the same people charged with building Liverpool's stadium collapsed yesterday. No injuries or anthing. Anyone heard that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Liverpool&WestHam StadiumArchitect’s HKS in Stadium Di - View ... The architect of Liverpool stadium and rumoured architect of West Ham’s ...
    were still being carried out when the collapse happened, but if the stadium ... http://forums.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=32240... - 37k
    Speaky de english?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I heard from someone today that a part of a stadium in America built by the same people charged with building Liverpool's stadium collapsed yesterday. No injuries or anthing. Anyone heard that?

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Wow.
    Liverpool are facing potential embarrassment after the American architectural firm who will build the club's new £300million stadium learned that a university stadium in Texas which the company is renovating has suffered a partial collapse.

Potential for a Hillsborough Mark II? Have the Americans done anything right? (Bar buying Torres)

It seems everything the Americans touch are collapsing, from stadiums to our title challenge

Era this isn't any concern really as far as LFC goes. Its not like everything that firm has ever built is suddenly going to come crashing down. It doesn't affect the design they built for us in any way id imagine. HKS have designed many many top class stadiums, some among the very best in the world. Can't really blame G&H for anything about this either (as enjoyable as that pastime is)..the stadium revamp alone probably makes their involvement worthwhile, once they sell in time for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

jesus lads, relax

as rebel said, it doesnt really change anything with regards your stadium

Also - did HKS build the stadium or just design it ? And are they building the new stadium for us or just designing it ? If the weakness/fault/whatever was with their plans then they certainly should take the rap for this but if the issue was due to a construction company cutting costs/corners, not following the plans exactly or similar then you can't exactly blame HKS for it.

Thread excitment on RAWK and RAOTL is a load of Gillet and Hicks. Ah well.

Mike.

lol, load of Gillette and Hicks!

I dont know Mike, i think there is too much noise about DIC (and not a noise coming from them,remember 1 denial is all it would take) for there to be nothing to this. JohnnyMac has backtracked now, but this morning he said he had 2 sources-when he posted it earlier, i thought it was fact, he is virtually never wrong, he has subsequently said his london source was duped by a journalist with an axe to grind, ok fair enough...but wat about the other source? chances of two of his sources being wrong at the same time about the same issue? then the thread and all threads discussing it were shut down....on various forums, like they were when the stadium plans were leaked.

call me an optimist, but i still think there is something going on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement