Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think he looks a bit like Finnan after being involved in a fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mr Alan wrote: »
    isnt Skertl slovakian?
    :o:o Oops, sorry, yes he is. Accoring to here he's from Handlova, Slovakia. I guess watching the Manchester derby at the weekend and I for some reason got it into my head that he was Serbian like Vidic.

It's still a terrible article though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think he looks a bit like Finnan after being involved in a fight

and being stretched about 5 inches!

Skertl and Agger would kick the ****e out of every centre half combo in the league.

and THAT is the main thing, not trophies etc

malice_ wrote: »
    :o:o Oops, sorry, yes he is. Accoring to here he's from Handlova, Slovakia. I guess watching the Manchester derby at the weekend and I for some reason got it into my head that he was Serbian like Vidic.

It's still a terrible article though! :)

Well anyway,Matt Monaghan is still talking out of his arse.......whoever he is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Whilst the article is overblown and over the top, there is some validity in some of the points made.

By the way:
    However, nothing has been more ridiculous - dare I say stupid, Rafa - than the consistent use of Dirk Kuyt as the 'running man', charged with doing absolutely nothing but racing about all over the pitch and making up the numbers. It is not even funny now.

Now that was funny ....... and its true, we shouldnt be laughing at it but I cant help myself .....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

All part of Kuyt's keep fit plan

redspider wrote: »
    Whilst the article is overblown and over the top, there is some validity in some of the points made.

By the way:

Now that was funny ....... and its true, we shouldnt be laughing at it but I cant help myself .....

Redspider

Ah but honestly. I can never bring myself to slag off Dirk. Ultimately, he isn't good enough if you harbour ambitions to win the league. But God love him. He tries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Fair play to Lucas for this interview - perhaps a lot of it is quite obvious but its good to hear he'd choose the same if he was choosing club now.
    Link

I mean if Kuyt was to choose again he'd probably choose an athletics club where his abilities would be put to better use.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Skertl and Agger would kick the ****e out of every centre half combo in the league.

and THAT is the main thing, not trophies etc

What now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

walshki wrote: »
    ...I mean if Kuyt was to choose again he'd probably choose an athletics club where his abilities would be put to better use.

LOL:D:D:D now thats funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

What now?

thought it fairly self explanatory :D

thought it fairly self explanatory :D
    That smiley should have been on the end of the initial post I quoted.

and LEAVE KUYT ALONE!

That smiley should have been on the end of the initial post I quoted.

emmmm ok :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Something a little lighter.. but anyone who uses RAWK will surely have seen the "Art Vandelay Photoshop Wizards" thread.. it is absolutely hilarious..

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=198423.0

pepe2xz3.jpg

rafajp4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

spockety wrote: »
    Something a little lighter.. but anyone who uses RAWK will surely have seen the "Art Vandelay Photoshop Wizards" thread.. it is absolutely hilarious..

QUOTE]

Outstanding. Rofl and lol etc - and I didn't get past page 1 yet.

RUSH HOPING FOR MORE CONSISTENCY
    Paul Hassall 12 February 2008
    Ian Rush has heaped praise on Liverpool following their draw at Stamford Bridge and called upon Rafael Benitez's side to reproduce that form on a more regular basis.
    The club's all-time leading goalscorer believes there are a number of positives to take from Sunday's stalemate with the Blues and singled out Dutch forward Dirk Kuyt for his tireless work ethic.

"I was really impressed with Liverpool's performance against Chelsea at the weekend and the challenge for them now is to repeat it week in, week out," said Rush.

"The work every player put in was fantastic to see and I'm sure the Liverpool fans who made the trip to London for the game, and those who were watching at home on TV, really appreciated it.

"Dirk Kuyt's work rate was absolutely incredible. He never stopped running from the first minute to the last and when you play alongside someone who is like that their commitment is infectious.

"I know that Dirk has come in for a bit of criticism this season because he has not scored the goals he would have liked, but you could never have a go at him for the effort he puts in.

"That says a lot about him as a person because it can be easy to go and hide when things aren't going too well for you. But Dirk never does that. He keeps showing for the ball and fighting for the team."

Rush was also impressed with the display of new recruit Martin Skrtel, who produced an admirable in the absence of Sami Hyypia.

The Welshman believes the young defender has started to settle into life at Anfield following a tough start and reckons the influence of Jamie Carrgaher will have been of huge benefit to the Slovakian.

"Skrtel was one of Liverpool's star performers at Chelsea, but I think a lot of the credit for that must go to Jamie Carragher," he said.

"When you are new in a team, particularly if you have come in from abroad, it can be difficult to settle so you need plenty of help.

"Skrtel is lucky to have Carragher alongside him because he is such a good talker and that is exactly what he needs at the moment.

"I've believed for a long time that Carragher is one of those players who is worth his place in the side even if he's not at his best because of his leadership qualities. The way he helped Skrtel through the Chelsea game proved that."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I don't think the Chelsea game showed anything in terms of the league. Everybody knows that Liverpool can raise their game to the highest levels when the big games come along, which is why few people would write them off against Inter despite their massively different league and even CL performances so far.

I think their big tests in the league will come against Boro and Bolton, teams that they should be able to beat, teams they really need to beat if they want to ensure 4th place.

agree to an extent. but it was good to see a decent performance. its been a while since we have!

and tbh PHB, most people will/do write off Liverpools chances against Inter, foolish i know, but they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I was also pleased with the peformance at the weekend. Much preferred seeing Gerrard deployed like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=198423.0;attach=128458;image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

agree to an extent. but it was good to see a decent performance. its been a while since we have!

decent performance????
    ya we controlled the game but we didnt threaten or even look like thretening their goal.
    id say if that game was still going on we wouldnt have scored.

we are desperatly lacking that spark to unlock these defences...turn our possession into goals...same for utd game earlier in the year.

outside gerrard we dont have a truely creative player and on sunday we lacked a finisher.

• Advertisement

prendy wrote: »
    decent performance????
    ya we controlled the game but we didnt threaten or even look like thretening their goal.
    id say if that game was still going on we wouldnt have scored.

we are desperatly lacking that spark to unlock these defences...turn our possession into goals...same for utd game earlier in the year.

outside gerrard we dont have a truely creative player and on sunday we lacked a finisher.

Yeah...but Chelsea haven't lost at home in 4 years. We were the away team and we controlled the game. They didnt even have a shot on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

walshki wrote: »
    spockety wrote: »

QUOTE]

Outstanding. Rofl and lol etc - and I didn't get past page 1 yet.

Same, I was in tears after page one. Great stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Reserves playing Sunderland tonight, looks a very good team to be put out, with the possible exception of Brouwer, but Gerardo Bruna (Real's prodigy we stole) and Pacheco (Barca's prodigy that we also stole) are on the bench and Nemeth is back from brief injury. Leto notable by his absense, wonder why, he looked fantastic when he played. Would have liked him to get more senior game time when he was in form.

The Liverpool team in full is: David Martin, Stephen Darby, Emiliano Insua, Daniel Ayala, Ronald Huth, Damien Plessis, Ryan Flynn, Jay Spearing, Jordy Brouwer, Krisztian Nemeth, Ray Putterill. Subs: Daniel Pacheco, Peter Gulacsi, Gerardo Bruna, Ryan Crowther, Andras Simon.

A lot of these guys seem to be showing the potential to break through as at least capable backups to the first team pretty soon, Darby, Insua, Plessis, Spearing and Nemeth in particular.

Wish i had setanta :( Dont suppose anyone has a stream that shows reserve games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The kids are showing the seniors how to do it this season, I see this is a top of the table clash (Sunderland!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Dont suppose anyone has a stream that shows reserve games?
    +1

Wouldn't mind having a look at them myself.

• Advertisement

Dont think Ive seen streams for reserves games before. Its not a great game but Nemeth scored a cheeky chip over the keeper. 1-0 at half time. Spearing may be injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Nemeth looks a fantastic prospect. I only saw the 1st half as I went out driving but in that half Insua just looked amazing. He needs to be given a chance with the 1st team.

I'd love to see these players I read of.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the deal with the young spanish lad that was in the squad on sunday because of injuries? I would have thought one of the players getting great reviews in the ressies would have gotten a call up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Stekelly wrote: »
    Whats the deal with the young spanish lad that was in the squad on sunday because of injuries? I would have thought one of the players getting great reviews in the ressies would have gotten a call up?
    San Jose has played in the reserves this year, Ayala just made his debut in the reserves at CB. I'd say San Jose has moved up a step after being on the bench at the weekend. An omission this midweek could mean he's backup again to the senior team in the next game. Maybe Sami has a knock or somthing so we couldn't risk San Jose getting injured.

Barnsley come calling in the FA Cup 5th round so I hope a few get a run out.

edit - I just saw this match report Sunderland fielding the likes of Ian Harte and Dwight Yorke!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    An omission this midweek could mean he's backup again to the senior team in the next game. Maybe Sami has a knock or somthing so we couldn't risk San Jose getting injured.

I'd guess so. Although I think there were some that were surprised that Huth wasn't called up instead of San Jose. While Huth is supposed to be fairly agricultural in possession, he's supposed to be very effective and really come on in the last year.

Good to see the kaiser getting another year at citeh
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3141035,00.html

He has been a rock this season, Pearce did'nt seem to appreciate his role and it was no surprise to me when Sven restored him.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Ray Kennedy Fund Draw is closing tomorrow so your last few hours left to try and win all expenses trip for two to Liverpool v Middlesboro....for 5 euro.

• Advertisement

Rafa not letting it go with that 'exclusive' in the Sunday S*n. He's set to take legal action against them for libel and false attribution.
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=rafa-benitez-plans-legal-action-against-news-of-the-world%26method=full%26objectid=20470608%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Superb from Rafa. About time someone stood up to these clowns in the media inventing ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ha that's fantastic. Football players should bring libel cases against these people much more, if they did it enough, it wouldn't be cost effect to make up stories.

There is absolutely no doubt that Rafa will win this as well. The headline was

"ITS YOUR FAULT" - RAFA IN NEW BLAST AT OWNERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Tusky wrote: »
    There is absolutely no doubt that Rafa will win this as well. The headline was

"ITS YOUR FAULT" - RAFA IN NEW BLAST AT OWNERS

Oh yeah you got to love that style of headline that has a huge "quote" and then no actual quote of the same content in the main article.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

fair play rafa. such nonsense written in those papers about all clubs. in fairness tho, it seems to work. the NOTW is the biggest selling english language newspaper in the world on the day its out (sunday) with over 10,000,000 being sold.
    f**kin murdoch

Jazzy wrote: »
    fair play rafa. such nonsense written in those papers about all clubs. in fairness tho, it seems to work. the NOTW is the biggest selling english language newspaper in the world on the day its out (sunday) with over 10,000,000 being sold.
    f**kin murdoch
    All 10,000,000 of the buyers being brain dead idiots who will lap such bull**** up without question.

And there my friends is where the power to change governements lies with the media.

Mwuahahahaha.

Ahem.

The NOTW does not sell 10 million copies - at its peak it shifted about 4 million but it is erm read/looked at by up to 10 million.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

mike65 wrote: »
    The NOTW does not sell 10 million copies - at its peak it shifted about 4 million but it is erm read/looked at by up to 10 million.

my mistake, u are correct

edit - just looking at the wiki of the NOTW now and found this:
    In June 2006, England footballer Ashley Cole received damages from the publishers of The News of the World over articles falsely alleging the footballer had used a mobile phone as a gay sex toy. Together with its sister paper The Sun, The News of the World paid Cole £100,000 to settle the case

hahahahaha!! god i wish it were true!

• Advertisement

That story and countless others shows that it doesn't matter how wrong they are, they still sell papers. Still Rafa can use his damages to buy some shares.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement