Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DSB wrote: »
    I'm baffled by the amount of Liverpool fans that think they're going to beat Inter, its surely possible, but I'd be so shocked. Huge difference in class between the sides, and confidence will be rock bottom in the Liverpool camp.

I think we have some chance of beating Inter. Nothing more than that. We are the underdogs. But then, we were the underdogs vs Juve, Chelsea (twice), AC, Barcelona (twice), Roma...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, of all the teams, the amount of times Inter have choked in Europe is unreal. Think Inter might nick it, might even win it convincingly, but to say Liverpool don't have every chance of going through is kinda silly. I don't think they are the underdogs, I don't think anybody will see them as the underdogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Or it could be like last season with everyone expecting Liverpool to get tanked by Barca, with the fall out at the training camp before hand and all.

oh right, so let me get this one straight

coz other clubs fans reckon inter will win comfortably, liverpool fans presume theyll win purely because everyone says they wont

gotcha

league title is yours so

PHB wrote: »
    Yeh, of all the teams, the amount of times Inter have choked in Europe is unreal. Think Inter might nick it, might even win it convincingly, but to say Liverpool don't have every chance of going through is kinda silly. I don't think they are the underdogs, I don't think anybody will see them as the underdogs.

I think too much bad form over the last two months (with Inter crushing during the same period) for us to be anything other than dogs on Tuesday. But yeah, we definitely can do it if a lot of things go right.

Helix wrote: »

coz other clubs fans reckon inter will win comfortably, liverpool fans presume theyll win purely because everyone says they wont

gotcha

league title is yours so

This is a particularly stupid post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Helix wrote:

gotcha

league title is yours so

No, its more that some other fans (and some liverpool fans) tend to really underestimate Liverpools chances of getting past these teams despite them being consistently decent in the CL. Last time pool lost over 2 legs in Europe was nearly 2 years ago against Benfica (not a massive team) and before that was in the Uefa Cup 4 years ago...

Pool simply Do do well in europe against big teams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

gotcha

league title is yours so

thats the most stupid thing i've ever read, BUT in europe over the last 3 seasons i think our record has been pretty much untouchable 2 FINALS in 3 seasons, and in both runs to those finals liverpool were written off at every single step, i remember the whole media saying that leverkusen should have no problem with us and we beat them 6-2 on aggregate, liverpool are pretty rubbish at the moment but if there is one thing we can have a little confidence about is that we can certainly beat anyone over 2 games like we have done time and time again.

you do realise how much of a fall youre setting yourselves up for yes?

whatll you do in a 2 1/2 weeks time if inter knock yis out and youre still sitting outside the top 4

you do know that only 5th place might make the uefa cup yeah? its not beyond the realms of possibility that this season could pretty much ruin liverpool for a few years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ive no doubt we will get past Inter, they always ALWAYS choke in Europe. Nothing to worry about IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

mayordenis wrote: »
    thats the most stupid thing i've ever read, BUT in europe over the last 3 seasons i think our record has been pretty much untouchable 2 FINALS in 3 seasons, and in both runs to those finals liverpool were written off at every single step, i remember the whole media saying that leverkusen should have no problem with us and we beat them 6-2 on aggregate, liverpool are pretty rubbish at the moment but if there is one thing we can have a little confidence about is that we can certainly beat anyone over 2 games like we have done time and time again.

Actually I reckon Milan's is better, they got a lot further in 2005/2006 ;)

• Advertisement

whatll you do in a 2 1/2 weeks time if inter knock yis out and youre still sitting outside the top 4

you do know that only 5th place might make the uefa cup yeah? its not beyond the realms of possibility that this season could pretty much ruin liverpool for a few years

Villa have one above average season and you jump up on your high horse

Melion wrote: »

where did i mention villa in that post?

no it's not that i expect is to win, i'm not sure there's every chance we'll be out and our season will be the worst since i've supported the club, but the stupid thing is others writing off a team with the kind of CL pedigree of liverpool

no it's not that i expect is to win, i'm not sure there's every chance we'll be out and our season will be the worst since i've supported the club, but the stupid thing is others writing off a team with the kind of CL pedigree of liverpool

it doesnt matter what a club did in any season apart from the current one

winning the competition in 05 doesnt have any bearing on how they do in 08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

a)
    A fall? Where are these posts saying we're definately gonna get through, cause i haven't seen them! (EDIT God dammit Melion!) We're being realistic. We have a decent chance. Thats all. Noone would be shocked to see us go out, just as none of us would be shocked to see us get through.

b)
    We'll be very disappointed, just as we are now. Its a rubbish season, what else would you expect?

c)
    It IS beyond the realms of possibility that this season would ruin Liverpool for years. Worst case scenario, we have a year of just the premiership and have no transfer funds bar what we make on sales which is prob enough for 1 good player. Even if we get noone, we'd still be in a great position for a top 4 position the next season.

Ruin the club? Bit melodramatic imo.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Actually I reckon Milan's is better, they got a lot further in 2005/2006 ;)

not with djimi traore they didn't

How are we setting ourselves up for a fall? We think we have a chance. We're not exactly declaring victory.

Get on with life? Tis a game after all. The team will now have no other distractions than the league and should have enough in the tank to secure 4th.

Yes, we are smart enough to understand the rules regarding European entry. It is possible we have a dreadful finish to the year. It is still possible we have a decent finish to the year. Who knows?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    a)
    A fall? Where are these posts saying we're definately gonna get through, cause i haven't seen them! We're being realistic. We have a decent chance. Thats all. Noone would be shocked to see us go out, just as none of us would be shocked to see us get through.

well, on this page theres:
    Ive no doubt we will get past Inter, they always ALWAYS choke in Europe. Nothing to worry about IMO
    b)
    We'll be very disappointed, just as we are now. Its a rubbish season, what else would you expect?

no youre actually being realistic, not like some of the poor deluded souls on here. liverpool have been abysmal this season, in terms of the talent in the squad and league performance, theres no doubt that theyve been the second worst team in the league compared to potential. only newcastle being worse imo
    It IS beyond the realms of possibility that this season would ruin Liverpool for years. Worst case scenario, we have a year of just the premiership and have no transfer funds bar what we make on sales which is prob enough for 1 good player. Even if we get noone, we'd still be in a great position for a top 4 position the next season.

Ruin the club? Bit melodramatic imo.

ok lets say liverpool dont make europe this year and therefore have no money next year. players will want to leave, gerrard out perhaps? who do yis replace him with, bearing in mind youll have no european football?

say everton make 4th and qualify to the group stages, theyll have money to add to an already solid and consistent squad. then say city get 5th and the uefa, same for them again, and theyve got a decent manager who knows what hes at. straight up you have 2 teams who could overtake you as you slide

yea of course we know the prerequisites for european qualification, what would a villa fan know about them?

• Advertisement

yea of course we know the prerequisites for european qualification, what would a villa fan know about them?

now correct me if im wrong, but dont we have the same amount of points as you and an easier run in?

if youre using us as a barometer of whats not good, yet youve done no better, its quite a comment on your own team so

well no i wont say team, ill say manager

how could anyone have a squad like liverpools only level with a squad like villas without being inept?

We've been so poor this season yet could still go 4th if we win our game in hand IIRC(correct me if im wrong though), there are 16 teams in the premiership who would love to be in the position we are in.

We've been so poor this season yet could still go 4th if we win our game in hand IIRC(correct me if im wrong though), there are 16 teams in the premiership who would love to be in the position we are in.

really?

and which of the teams above you are you claiming would love to be in the position youre in?

really?

and which of the teams above you are you claiming would love to be in the position youre in?

Arsenal, United and Chelsea are the only teams who wouldnt swap their seasons with ours.

now correct me if im wrong, but dont we have the same amount of points as you and an easier run in?

if youre using us as a barometer of whats not good, yet youve done no better, its quite a comment on your own team so

well your wrong all together.
    firstly we've got the same points in less games.
    secondly we are doing better we are in the champions league as it stands,
    so consider yourself corrected.

well your wrong all together.
    firstly we've got the same points in less games.
    secondly we are doing better we are in the champions league as it stands,
    so consider yourself corrected.

same points in less games means nothing, you dont get points for games you havent played yet

great, youre in the chamions league. deadly. come back to me if you win it

why would everton or villa swap with liverpool? or city

youre neglecting to take momentum into the equation here, improving teams on the way up versus a team having a woeful season

anyone with a bit of cop on would rather be one of the teams with upward momentum

i wouldnt swap villas season for liverpools in a million years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You are coming out with some real gems. What is your problem ?

Nobody on here is saying we will definitely win, nobody is even claiming that we will win. Liverpool fans here are just saying that we have a good chance, which based on our record in Europe compared to Inters, we do.

What do you mean what will we do in two and half weeks time if we get knocked out ? I know I'll be disappointed but Im hardly going to throw myself off a bridge...

now on current form we won't win these games but other than the higlighted games there no reason for liverpool not to pick up maximum points its a pretty nice run in.

23 Feb, 2008 Middlesbrough
    02 Mar, 2008 Bolton Wanderers
    05 Mar, 2008 West Ham United
    08 Mar, 2008 Newcastle United
    15 Mar, 2008 Reading
    23 Mar, 2008 Manchester United
    30 Mar, 2008 Everton
    05 Apr, 2008 Arsenal
    12 Apr, 2008 Blackburn Rovers
    19 Apr, 2008 Fulham
    26 Apr, 2008 Birmingham City
    03 May, 2008 Manchester City
    11 May, 2008 Tottenham Hotspur

• Advertisement

youre neglecting to take momentum into the equation here, improving teams on the way up versus a team having a woeful season

anyone with a bit of cop on would rather be one of the teams with upward momentum

So you wouldnt rather be in with a shout of winning the CL instead of just sitting here giving out about other teams chances of winning it?

Bóllox

So Villa are on their way to establishing themselves in the top 4 in your opinion? And Liverpool are on their way to establishing themselves as an ultimately unsuccessful midtablish club that sit in the premiership and do little on a yearly basis, in your opinion?

Tusky wrote: »
    You are coming out with some real gems. What is your problem ?

Nobody on here is saying we will definitely win, nobody is even claiming that we will win. Liverpool fans here are just saying that we have a good chance, which based on our record in Europe compared to Inters, we do.

What do you mean what will we do in two and half weeks time if we get knocked out ? I know I'll be disappointed but Im hardly going to throw myself off a bridge...

Im saying we will definitely win.

Nobody on here is saying we will definitely win, nobody is even claiming that we will win.
    melion is

same points in less games means nothing, you dont get points for games you havent played yet

great, youre in the chamions league. deadly. come back to me if you win it

but you said we weren't in a better position if man u and arsenal are EQUAL at the end of the season but one still had a game to play i would say that team is in a better position.
    obviously the points aren't on the board, but we can still achieve those points on the other hand villa cannot and anyone who can't accept that logic is an idiot but you're not an idiot.

Im saying we will definitely win.

Well then thats just silly. You don't know anything will definitely happen.

• Advertisement

there no reason for liverpool not to pick up maximum points its a pretty nice run in.

15 Mar, 2008 Reading
    30 Mar, 2008 Everton
    05 Apr, 2008 Arsenal
    19 Apr, 2008 Fulham

by that logic theres no reason for villa not to pick up 28 points from our games remaining:

Reading
    Arsenal
    Middlesbrough
    Portsmouth
    Sunderland
    United
    Bolton
    Derby
    Birmingham
    Everton
    Wigan
    West Ham

by that logic theres no reason for villa not to pick up 28 points from our games remaining:

Reading
    Arsenal
    Middlesbrough
    Portsmouth
    Sunderland
    United
    Bolton
    Derby
    Birmingham
    Everton
    Wigan
    West Ham

Absolutely, its entirely possible that Villa will finish 4th and Liverpool 5th or worse. I dont think it will happen but it is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

You can't write Liverpool off from Europe. I learned that lesson in 2004/2005 and last season.

Ironically the only 2 legged tie I predicted Liverpool would win since Rafa joined was the Benfica tie in 2006

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So Villa are on their way to establishing themselves in the top 4 in your opinion? And Liverpool are on their way to establishing themselves as an ultimately unsuccessful midtablish club that sit in the premiership and do little on a yearly basis, in your opinion?

depending on how this season pans out, yes

we have one massive advantage over liverpool: we're well run

So you wouldnt rather be in with a shout of winning the CL instead of just sitting here giving out about other teams chances of winning it?

Bóllox

imo we have the same chance of winning the champions league as liverpool do this season

• Advertisement

depending on how this season pans out, yes

thankfully for you, people can hold opinions. No matter how cRazY they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

now on current form we won't win these games but other than the higlighted games there no reason for liverpool not to pick up maximum points its a pretty nice run in.

15 Mar, 2008 Reading
    30 Mar, 2008 Everton
    05 Apr, 2008 Arsenal
    19 Apr, 2008 Fulham

Middlesbrough 1-1
    Bolton 4-0
    West Ham 0-1
    Newcastle 3-0
    Reading 1-3
    Manchester United 0-1
    Everton 2-1
    Arsenal 1-1
    Fulham 2-0
    Blackburn 0-0
    Birmingham 0-0
    Man City 0-0
    Tottenham 2-2

Those are the results you have gotten against those teams already this season. 4 wins, 6 draws, 3 defeats. 18 points from 39. Take away the teams you highlighted, and its 3 wins, 5 draws, and 2 defeats. Thats 14 points from 30.

A pretty nice run in? What makes you so confident this time round?

imo we have the same chance of winning the champions league as liverpool do this season

Well as the old saying goes, opinions are like noses and all that.

What im saying is would you not rather have a team in the CL instead of coming on here writing off other teams chances.

Well as the old saying goes, opinions are like noses and all that.

What im saying is would you not rather have a team in the CL instead of coming on here writing off other teams chances.

no id rather have a team on the up than a team in turmoil

Over the last 26 years Villa have averaged a trophy every 8.5 years. Three trophy's in total, two of which were a league cup. Seems to have taken its toll on their poor supporters who are frothing at the mouth with the thought of simply finishing 4th in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Does Carragher picking up a yellow card yesterday mean he is suspended since he was on 4 in the PL already? Or do the FA Cup and PL tie in like that.

no id rather have a team on the up than a team in turmoil

What makes you so sure Villa are on the up?
    Didnt ye have a season like this a few years ago with O'Leary in charge?

Over the last 26 years Villa have averaged a trophy every 8.5 years. Three trophy's in total, two of which were a league cup. Seems to have taken its toll on their poor supporters who are frothing at the mouth with the thought of simply finishing 4th in the league.

jesus im not expecting a 4th place finish, im not even expecting europe

ill be happy with top 7

What makes you so sure Villa are on the up?
    Didnt ye have a season like this a few years ago with O'Leary in charge?

2 words:

doug ellis

2 more:

randy lerner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Does Carragher picking up a yellow card yesterday mean he is suspended since he was on 4 in the PL already? Or do the FA Cup and PL tie in like that.

It's counted towards the domestic season as well, afaik. It takes a few days for the suspension to take effect, if he is, so he might miss the next match +1.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement