Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Melion wrote: »
    You said earlier that unless we won by 2 goals we were out. We won by 2, does that mean we should get through?

I said earlier at least 2.

Liverpool have a great chance now but i can still seeing them screwing up. Inter really will have to be on their game to go through but if they can manage to get a first half goal i can't see Liverpool scoring or going through.

Should make for a great game though

I think you spoke too soon!

No he didn't. A one minute moment of magic or deflected goal in kuyt's case does not make a good performance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think you spoke too soon!
    I should have backed both the minute I said that. Typical. But bar their goals I genuinely don't think they credited liverpool going forward. Gerrards service was especially awful from corners and wide crosses.

Stekelly wrote: »
    All through the game he was involved with most moves going through him at some stage.

Exactly - most moves going through him. Involvement in poor service/failing to score doesn't make a good performance. And sums up many of his performances for the pool to date. Took til 82nd min to get a goal.

Babel was working hard too but for all their work every single ball was snuffed out going into the box. And torres had to go looking for magic (which he nearly got with his snap shot from the edge of the box) to score goals.

Kuyt was composed for his goal and Liverpool probably deserved it for all their posession against a team that even with 11 men never looked like scoring. But to say he was your second best player shows liverpools overall performance on the night.

IMO Torres was your (second) best player. Got a man sent off and was the only player on the pitch who looked like scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Great performance from Liverpool. They wanted it much more than Inter. The second yellow card was very harsh and it definitely made the game easier, however, Liverpool were dominating before he got sent off and I believe they would have went on to win it anyway. I thought Rafa played his cards just right tonight although I do not like Kuyt playing on the wings, even though he scored.

Mascherano for man of the match. Anyone who watches Liverpool week in week out will tell you that this man must be signed. He is class. Has been our best player this season.

Also, Torres's turn & shoot in the second half was excellent. Deserved a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

s_carnage wrote: »

Liverpool have a great chance now but i can still seeing them screwing up. Inter really will have to be on their game to go through but if they can manage to get a first half goal i can't see Liverpool scoring or going through.

When was the last time we screwed up in an important european game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Kuyt I'm sorry was still terrible, is still clearly the weak link in Liverpools general attack and play, so many of the moves break down with him. Hell his shot was going to the keeper were it not for a deflection. Still needs to be moved on for Liverpool.

I honestly think it's possible that Gerrard doesn't score until the 90th minute on purpose.

p.s. I think if Liverpool make it through to the next round, they should pray that they don't get Schalke or Porto. I honestly think they have a better chance of beating Barca/Chelsea/Milan than they do of beating Porto/Schalke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Hats off, great result and I think you're in the hat for the next round.

Does this result mean that Barnsley are a better team than Inter :D

PS - Wheres estibancambias tonight !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

What you really think that. Do you watch football at all or know what it entails??Liverpool to go through no doubt.They(inter) are missing one defender now through injury and another one through a suspension...

The return leg isnt for another 3 weeks. Cordoba will prob be ok for it. Materazzi is the only player they'll be missing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe its time for Liverpool to leave the ELP and move the franchise to Le Continent. ;)

Mike.

The return leg isnt for another 3 weeks. Cordoba will prob be ok for it. Materazzi is the only player they'll be missing

Cordoba's injury looked very bad the way he fell on his leg it just went straight from under him.Not a short-term injury..We'll find out soon enough anyways..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote: »
    Kuyt I'm sorry was still terrible,

Did you actually watch the match PHB or were you flickign between the games? Kuyt has been bad this season, but tonight he most certainly wasnt.

The only times attacks broke down with him, and this is entendign the definition to suit your analysis, was when Hypia fluffed he header from a lovely little dinked cross to him or when Kuyt didnt catch the volley right in the first half and the ball floated to the keeper (but was still shot on target :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

:D:D:D

Dunphy

"Ireland have better players than Inter"

Kuyt I'm sorry was still terrible, is still clearly the weak link in Liverpools general attack and play, so many of the moves break down with him. Hell his shot was going to the keeper were it not for a deflection. Still needs to be moved on for Liverpool.

I honestly think it's possible that Gerrard doesn't score until the 90th minute on purpose.

p.s. I think if Liverpool make it through to the next round, they should pray that they don't get Schalke or Porto. I honestly think they have a better chance of beating Barca/Chelsea/Milan than they do of beating Porto/Schalke

Agree. Ac Milan, Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea x2...Last time we were knocked out over two legs was Benfica I believe.

BAHAHHAHA DUMPHY "The Irish national team has better players than Inter Milan". He also said earlier that Inter dont have enough quality. Personally I think Inter have one of the best squads in world football.

Want to walk about it?

Do I want to walk about it?! No i dont like walking sorry. you can walk alone!

As for TALKING about the game, Kuyts goal was highly fortuitous, Gerrards was class. For all the possession Liverpool were disappointing not creating enough chances as a team more relying on torres' individual brilliance/ long ball tactics.

However, Liverpool are thru, inter are not gonna win 3 nil over there.

Who here thinks we should enter ireland for the champions league??

Unearthly wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Dunphy

"Ireland have better players than Inter"

It's all good, we're sorted for the next WC.:D

Do I want to walk about it?! No i dont like walking sorry. you can walk alone!

As for TALKING about the game, Kuyts goal was highly fortuitous, Gerrards was class. For all the possession Liverpool were disappointing not creating enough chances as a team more relying on torres' individual brilliance/ long ball tactics.

However, Liverpool are thru, inter are not gonna win 3 nil over there.

Since you're being childish. Surely its through and not thru, maybe i'm mistaken though.

stick-dan wrote: »
    What you really think that. Do you watch football at all or know what it entails??Liverpool to go through no doubt.They(inter) are missing one defender now through injury and another one through a suspension...

Could ask you the same questions!!!!

Liverpool are through....no doubt!!!! All Inter have to do is score 2 unanswered goals in the san siro against Liverpool. Yes ye are through....no doubt.

Good man/woman

• Advertisement

Could ask you the same questions!!!!

Liverpool are through....no doubt!!!! All Inter have to do is score 2 unanswered goals in the san siro against Liverpool. Yes ye are through....no doubt.

Good man/woman

Then it would go to extra time and maybe penalties.Think about that !

Good man/woman

Did you actually watch the match PHB or were you flickign between the games? Kuyt has been bad this season, but tonight he most certainly wasnt.

The only times attacks broke down with him, and this is entendign the definition to suit your analysis, was when Hypia fluffed he header from a lovely little dinked cross to him or when Kuyt didnt catch the volley right in the first half and the ball floated to the keeper (but was still shot on target )

I watched the whole game. Kuyt ran into the space really well, worked incredibly hard, and it was nice to see him score, he deserves it for the work he put in. But the amount of times he couldnt get the ball in, couldnt beat the man when needed, didn't play the right pass. It's actually exactly like watching Giggs play for United. Everytime the ball goes near him, it slows/breaks the entire move down. Gerrard and Torres are just too many leagues ahead of him to keep up.

p.s. Anyone who says Liverpool are defo through are being as silly as the people who wrote off Liverpool in this match. Inter still have the ability to take it to Liverpool in the San Siro and win 2-0. Sure Gerrard could get sent off for a tackle, you never know. The tie isn't over yet, and the Liverpool players know it, which is why they do so well in knockout comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Dunphy has to be the biggest gob****e assocuiated with the game. How come he failed to mention inter were such horse**** before the game?

Club is still in crisis, but nights like tonight help.

Get Maasch signed up sharpish. Best in the world, without doubt, in that position.

Since you're being childish. Surely its through and not thru, maybe i'm mistaken though.

Well u see when i say thru you take it to mean through albeit an abbreviation whilst when u say walk id take it to mean walk since the last time i checked "walk" is not an abbreviation of "talk"!! Just saying! u were so keen to get your "told ya so" in there though, i knew i could rely on you!! Either way.

Anyway, i told u what i think, if u take off the red glasses u can see the problemns with the general play, not enough attacking cohesion. However ur now all but in the quarters so time to start saving the best 11 (which is?!) for the European nights.

A bit OT - as regards Gerrards goal, its very unusual for a ball to bounce 3 times before reaching the goal. Very unusual goal. Great goal tho.

p.s. Anyone who says Liverpool are defo through are being as silly as the people who wrote off Liverpool in this match. Inter still have the ability to take it to Liverpool in the San Siro and win 2-0. Sure Gerrard could get sent off for a tackle, you never know. The tie isn't over yet, and the Liverpool players know it, which is why they do so well in knockout comps.

I dont see Liverpool losing this one myself.

Let's not think of the club in crisis and think about the future with benitez!

Oh also credit to Finnan who offered loads of width in the second half and also to Pennant. He was on for 15 minutes and got two assists.

I dont think they are through no bother - just would be surprised if Inter get 3 unanswered. and 2-0 may take it to extra time/penos but all pool need is a sniff at goal to wrap the tie up.

Then it would go to extra time and maybe penalties.Think about that !

Good man/woman

Jes there's no fooling you tonight!!! Yes but what i was trying to get across was the minimum Inter have to do the next day to get through. You follow???

The thing is. Inter have to attack Liverpool now and will be susceptible to counter attack. If Liverpool score 1, Inter have to score 4. Cant remember the last time Liverpool conceded 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is sensible and correct. Plenty of work left to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Tusky wrote: »
    Agree. Ac Milan, Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea x2...Last time we were knocked out over two legs was Benfica I believe.

BAHAHHAHA DUMPHY "The Irish national team has better players than Inter Milan". He also said earlier that Inter dont have enough quality. Personally I think Inter have one of the best squads in world football.

He also said that they wouldnt be able to apply that high intensity pressure style game against the likes of Barcelona or Man Utd... What a tard, Liverpool knocked Barcelona out of the CL last year because of that high intensity pressure, namely Sissoko... He really hasnt a clue, he also said Roma won Serie A the season Utd beat them 7-1 (that was only last season)... Hahahahahah.. Entertaining nonetheless...

Did anybody find it funny how his opinion on Inter changed in the space of 90 mins. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

What you really think that. Do you watch football at all or know what it entails??Liverpool to go through no doubt.

Stop being so arrogant and ignorant.

Jes there's no fooling you tonight!!! Yes but what i was trying to get across was the minimum Inter have to do the next day to get through. You follow???

I think i do :)

Listen what do liverpool do best when they are taking a lead into a match of two legs???

That is SHUT UP SHOP!

Sorry but don't see inter scoring two because to do so they will have to be very attacking which would leave them vulnerable to the counter-attack and i think we all seen tonight that torres has two things called legs that even if he tied one of them behind his back would outpace the inter backline!

You follow:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

monkey9 wrote: »
    Right **** this. I'm about to head home from work and am leaving on a positive note. Liverpool to win two nil. Gerrard and Torres!!!

You see Mr.Nice Guy, even though i got one goalscorer wrong, it's better than any prediction you'll ever make

eZe^ wrote: »
    he also said Roma won Serie A the season Utd beat them 7-1 (that was only last season

Dont be so quick to snipe. theres still plenty of time for a couple of court cases to come alaong and he could well end up being right. Roma will be deighted to get their hands on some 2nd (3rd) hand winners medals.:D

• Advertisement

...Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the thread descends into more aimless bickering.

Great night for the pool, fair play. Still have a little bit of work to do but overall you should be happy and Rafa payslip for Feb shouldn't have a P45 enclosed.

The Kop breathes again. For now. I'll leave ye to it. Send Mr Alan my regards when he comes on here to beam.

DSB wrote: »
    Stop being so arrogant and ignorant.

How is that arrogance?It is my opinion.I am entitled to it. Ah here not going to bicker about it. I'll just be modest and accept you're criticism. Cheerio for now i'm off to source tickets to the quarter final ;)

Nah seriously point taken.I won't be so full on i'll edit my previous comment to this.I think liverpool will make it to the quarter finals now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Stekelly wrote: »
    Dont be so quick to snipe. theres still plenty of time for a couple of court cases to come alaong and he could well end up being right. Roma will be deighted to get their hands on some 2nd (3rd) hand winners medals.:D

So, that would be completely logical. According to Dunphy, Inter are a nothing team, so theyd deserve a relegation. Theyd prob even struggle to get promoted if you believe what Dunphy is saying!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

It's bad for my nerves supporting Liverpool. I thought Finnan looked great tonight on TV. I hope Trappatoni tries to change his mind about retiring.

If it was MUFC or Chelsea who were two up in the same situation I'd say they were through but Liverpool are so frustratingly inconsistent that I'll be nervous until they score in Milan (if that happens). Should be a cracking second leg for the neutrals though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

exactley what Liverpool and Rafa needed tonight, fair play to you. But the tie is not over! I think Pool will go through but if Havant & Waterloo can put two past you then so can Inter Milan at the SanSiro. Liverpool were very lucky with the sending off tonight and thankfully could take advantage but Inter are still in the competition, in football anything can happen as Liverpool fans should well know and a two goal lead isnt insurmountable.... Istanbul anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

We should have guessed this result really.

I've been slating my pool for the last few weeks here and they deserved it.

Tonight at least we played with heart which Inter played without.

At times we were all over the place.

Only Einstein knows why we win in Europe and play ****e in england.

I think everyone agrees Kuyt works hard but does not finish off his chances. In fairness he was bought to score not work hard.

The man seriously lacks confidence and self belief. 2 goals in 2 games can only help his game, hopefully.

I suppose it hard to play with heart all the time, the rest of the time it comes down to skill and the ability of the players to play as a team.

Heres hoping this is the start of a good run.

My prediction for the next leg.
    Inter dominate Liverpool in the first half and for the 93 minutes, scoring 3 magnificant goals, hitting the bar 50 times. Then in the 4th minute of injury time, Gerrard, who has been at fault for the 3 goals, will score a last minute 50 yard shot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Kuyt had a DECENT game tonight. He was constantly hassling Inter which is exactly what we needed tonight. Fair enough the guy has been having a rough patch. His father died and remember this is the man that helped him move to LFC.

People keep talking about the second leg but remember that Torres is a great player and if Inter go all out attack then Torres is explosive enough to punish them.

My prediction for the next leg.
    Inter dominate Liverpool in the first half and for the 93 minutes, scoring 3 magnificant goals, hitting the bar 50 times. Then in the 4th minute of injury time, Gerrard, who has been at fault for the 3 goals, will score a last minute 50 yard shot.

Wouldn't be good for my nerves but I'd take that!

[edit] Worth noting. Inter were unbeaten in 29 games before this one.

How is that arrogance?It is my opinion.I am entitled to it. Ah here not going to bicker about it. I'll just be modest and accept you're criticism. Cheerio for now i'm off to source tickets to the quarter final ;)

Nah seriously point taken.I won't be so full on i'll edit my previous comment to this.I think liverpool will make it to the quarter finals now.

Good stuff. Agreed. Don't think Inter have 2 goals in them against a team who will sit back on their lead.

As has been said a few times. If Inter come out and attack us which they have to do Torres, Babel and Gerrard will kill them on the break

As has been said a few times. If Inter come out and attack us which they have to do Torres, Babel and Gerrard will kill them on the break

I agree plus benayoun should be starting if he does add him to that equation!

All out attacking won't be the gameplan I doubt. They'll be taking it handy playing a reasonably attacking game and hoping to get one in the first half. If they get no joy, then maybe the second half will go that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Return leg 1-1 or 2-1

Mike.

DSB wrote: »
    All out attacking won't be the gameplan I doubt. They'll be taking it handy playing a reasonably attacking game and hoping to get one in the first half. If they get no joy, then maybe the second half will go that way.
    Exactly - if Inter are any good, which they are, they won't panic. They'll play their home game. And the best liverpool can do is do a little for that away goal they need to more or less sign the deal.

If liverpool go and sit back on their lead they *could* end up a goal down early from a set piece or something and suddenly look vulnerable again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement