Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just like when they played Juve in 2005 beat them at Anfield and then went to Turin with a weakened team and game finished 0-0 with the best chance of the game falling to Liverpool

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads on RTE said the following:

"Last time liverpool went out of the FA Cup to a championship side was in the 2004/2005 season when they won the Chamions league"

Just for those that were looking for good omens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Just back, really enjoyed it. Great result and those who have said that Kuyt was no good were obviously not watching him, worked well on the wing and put some decent balls across and into the box.

2-0 against a team that have not lost in bloody ages and have not conceded a goal in quite a while either is quite a result.

So who is going to kill the pope ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So who is going to kill the pope ?

Talk to the Airsoft lads and see if they can sort something out. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Lads on RTE said the following:

"Last time liverpool went out of the FA Cup to a championship side was in the 2004/2005 season when they won the Chamions league"

Just for those that were looking for good omens.

And in fairness Burnley is quite a close name to Barnsley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone watching Corrie these days?

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Come on Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

it has to be said....the current pope isnt looking the best lately

Mr Alan wrote: »
    it has to be said....the current pope isnt looking the best lately

Things are setting themselves up nicely then.

Now to get those 2 of Corrie stars married again and we are sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

First off..some of the posts earlier tonight...honestly..nuts...

Someone was even saying Inter were comfortable in the first half! Many incredible last ditch tackles from a defence needing to play out of their skins coupled with NO attacking play is not comfortable.

Absolutely delighted with tonight for a number of reasons.
    1) What i've been writing here for the past few days is that I wanted to see something from the players, something inspired to show they still had belief in the team and in Rafa. Tonight was the first step of that. I know its the CL so hard not to be motivated, but none the less its a move in the right direction and showed listening to whatever it was Rafa said worked.

2) Liverpool went out and imposed themselves on the game like they haven't been doing this season at all. They went out with fire and brimstone and went for it. I think this is the natural style of the team given the qualities of the main players, Carra, Finnan, Gerrard, Mascherano, Kuyt all doing 90 putting full effort in and always looking to go forward, as well as a few more flair-style players, Babel, Torres, Aurelio and Gerrard again trying things out on occasion, having a run etc. The Materazzi sending off i dont think actually effected the game much, they looked exactly the same before and after it happened - completely overwhelmed. Had no time on the ball and no space. They're players got surrounded everytime it looked like they might start something (eg. when Zanetti went on a run, freeing himself, only to become encircled, with a chasing Masch relieving him of posession). The passing was a lot better, the ball retention was better and it took a sterling world class defensive game from Inter to hold off as long as they did. Not too many shots on goal, but a hell of a lot of last ditch challenges (the one blocking Crouch's close range shot being one of the picks for me).

-As a sidenote to this, i think Rafa only lets them do this in the home leg of a 2legged match, as this is the only time we see it. In a one off prem game he sets them up more not to get beat. i really really wish he'd let them do tonights play against the premiership teams. I dont think many would survive a consistent pounding of pressure that was dished out from first whistle to last tonight.

Reina; Nothing to do.
    Carra and Hypia; Solid when called for, did well in the air and cancelled out any potentially dangerous moves early.
    Finnan and Aurelio; Very happy with them, both worked very hard up and down their lines, covering in defence and linking up in attack. Aurelio has once again impressed me a lot.
    Mascherano; Immense. I said before the game i expected him to put in a MOTM performance and he did. Just did pretty much everything right.
    Gerrard; Did well, kept building and looking for the ball, kept getting forward making runs as well as coming back in the 'hunting in packs' mentality to squash anything Inter begin to try doing. Showed what he was all about driving forward till the end, with sheer determination. Very well taken goal.
    Lucas; Quiet enough game, was a bit like Gerrard Lite, got forward as well, gave simple passes around, kept things moving with passes as well as showing himself to receive.
    Babel; Others didnt rate him tonight, i thought he was quite good. Got involved from the start, kept making runs, kept hassling players, didnt look afraid to take on a man. All things i want him to keep trying to he can improve. Didnt do them in areas that could hurt Liverpool, so i say Go for it.
    Kuyt; Looked more like he did during his better spells last season. Great link up play, great workrate (As always), great vision a number of times, some telling crosses and a goal to cap it off. I think he may just have a bright end to the season with a bit of confidence in him.
    Torres; Looked class at times tonight. Drifted out of the game at times as well when it got very tight in the inter box and he was well and truly marked. Showed serious class and alertness for his 2 shots at the bottom left corner (great turn and shot for the second). Got himself free in some good positions at other times as well but wasn't used.

Massive post, but all in all the lads put in serious effort tonight so i figured i should too ;)

please Rafa, keep tonights tactics for all games for the rest of the season - send the lads out to steamroller the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

shotamoose wrote: »
    One for the record books, Rafa making a substitution before 80th minute?
    Rafa generally makes his first sub around the 60->65min mark. Quite rare to see him making his first before the 80th min.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Someone has to teach Gerrard how to take a corner though its just embarrassing at this stage.
    Sad but true. Was taking bets with one of the lads in the pub as to whether or not he'd get the ball past the first or second man. He really does take a sh1te corner.
    Tusky wrote: »
    Cant remember the last time Liverpool conceded 4.
    Unfortunately Arsenal in the carling cup last year springs to mind.

On the game - no doubt the red card was harsh - don't think the player should have seen red for those two incidents. However there were 3 or 4 clear handballs that could have been given but weren't so maybe in a bizarre way they cancel each other out ? The Vieira incident in particular should have been a spot kick.

Would the game have been much different if Materazzi hadn't been sent off - maybe but maybe not. The red card was shown around the 30 min mark iirc and until then Inter really hadn't threatened us - we appeared to have the upper hand from the off but couldn't find an end product. Maybe the stalemate would have continued for another 30 mins until the Vieira handball at which stage the ref would have had no choice but to award the spot kick (imo he didn't award it to in some way atone for his earlier sin with the red card). Maybes and What if's get us nowhere though - the result on the night is the result on the night no matter how fair or unfair it is.

The 2nd leg is ours for the loosing now but I can't see us sticking 11 behind the ball for 90 mins. We'll be pushing for an away goal the whole time to try and kill it properly. Should be a great game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

IMAGINE.

six times european kings.

Not to jinx it or anything. I must dig out the jersey i wore every night i wore all the way through the campaign to instanbul. Someone may tell andy gray to start working on some new quotes for our boy gerrard!:)

Cometh the hour, cometh the man!

stick-dan wrote: »
    IMAGINE.

Not to jinx it or anything. I must dig out the jersey i wore every night i wore all the way through the campaign to instanbul. Someone may tell andy gray to start working on some new quotes for our boy gerrard!:)

Lets not get too carried away, thats half the reason most people hate pool fans.

The other half is cause we're awesome ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

IMAGINE.

Dont get too carried away mate. We aint even into the quarter finals yet. Long way to go. Inter are capable of playing much better than they played tonight although I feel we stopped them from playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

only if every opponent has a man sent off between now and the finals i think. IT was a decent performance tonight, full of energy and drive like you'd expect, but lacking composure and craft. i dont think you can draw as many positives from it as some are making out. while ye'll more than likely get through i think the next leg will give a much clearer illustration of the current level of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Ah now lads i did say imagine ;)

i apologize for arrogance, not intentional, just passion for the team gets me going.

I hate the media and the americians for what they have done to the club.Bring back the days of cracking FA cup finals with 35 yard volleys and nights like istanbul.

only if every opponent has a man sent off between now and the finals i think. IT was a decent performance tonight, full of energy and drive like you'd expect, but lacking composure and craft. i dont think you can draw as many positives from it as some are making out. while ye'll more than likely get through i think the next leg will give a much clearer illustration of the current level of the team.

I really dont think the sending off changed the game very much when you look at the half hour Materazzi was on the field. They still offered nothing going forward and set out their stall to defend. They didn't sacrifice an attacker either, kept both Ibra and Cruz on for another 40 or so mins, with Ibra droping back into midfield. Inter just didnt get a sniff, they tried breaking out a few times but were just broken down immediately when they had both 10 men and 11 men on the field.

Im sure they'd have liked to have had the 11, but on the face of what we actually saw, the game changed very little.

There were a lot of positives. Pool imposed themselves which they haven't been doing this year at all, ever. Also the tempo was good, and with it the basics were much improved, passing, tracking, hunting in packs etc. If these elements were present during a lot of the draw we've suffered against lesser opposition it could have been a different league table. All too often pool only seem to switch on for the last 10mins when the pressure is on, but tonight they went straight out of the traps from the word 'go'.

More of that please Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Inter were begining to create some stuff going forward. Liverpool certainly started the better team. However, I don't think Inter would have sat back anywhere near as much if there wasn't a red card, because while you can defend with 10, you can't really attack too much. As such, Liverpool got much more possession than they normally would, and it allowed them to pile on the pressure again and again. In the end, it did take a deflected goal, because for 55 minutes after the red card, Liverpool really weren't penetrating Inters defence, and creating any real chances. Infact the only real chance of the match came from a deflection which went straight to Torres path.

p.s. I actually can't think of a more impressive goal that I've seen Gerrard score.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

PHB wrote: »
    p.s. I actually can't think of a more impressive goal that I've seen Gerrard score.

What about his goal against O_lympiakos or the one in the FA Cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

But the angle for that goal was unreal. He actually hit the ball in the only possible place that could beat the keeper. It went between 3 Inter players, then little a cm past the keepers glove, off the post, and in. unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »
    I think Inter were begining to create some stuff going forward. Liverpool certainly started the better team. However, I don't think Inter would have sat back anywhere near as much if there wasn't a red card, because while you can defend with 10, you can't really attack too much. As such, Liverpool got much more possession than they normally would, and it allowed them to pile on the pressure again and again. In the end, it did take a deflected goal, because for 55 minutes after the red card, Liverpool really weren't penetrating Inters defence, and creating any real chances. Infact the only real chance of the match came from a deflection which went straight to Torres path.

Torres had a couple of close shots. Hyypia had a decent chance with a header and there were plenty of crosses across the goal mouth/incidents in the box. Inter defended excellently but I always felt a goal was coming. We were still fortunate to an extent though.

The goal from Gerrard wasn't as initially impressive as some of his belters but on repeat viewings it was really really intelligent shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Inter were just starting to get into the game when the ref had that rush of blood to the head.

Torres was a disgrace the way he threw himself to the ground as for your managers reaction, it was nothing short of disgusting. Fair enough, you can understand a mangers reaction if it was for a malicous tackle but they were for 2 innocous tackles(the first one probably was not even a foul - Torres ran accross him). Why wassn't Mascherano booked in the fisrt half for persistent fouling?

Inter are well capable of getting 2 in the second leg, whether they can do so while kepeing it tight is another thing. Hopefully the Italians will have a homer of a referee and Carragher will get a red as well to balace things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

good performance by liverpool, they kept up the pressure well

though i cant see how people are saying that the sending off didnt make a difference. Course it did lads. Just cos Inter didnt play that well for the first 30 minutes doesnt mean they wouldnt have played well later on? how can going down to 10 men, and having to play for an hour in anfield with 10 men not make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

It's being happening all season and was even more evident last night, was our crosses into the box, be it from play or dead ball.

I'm not a big fan of Pennant but he got the two assists, maybe he had a lot of help with Finnan down the wing with him.
    I'm hopin' Babel will come good, but think he should be someone we bring on from the bench. Question is then who do we start out there?
    The amount of balls that didn't get by the first man in defence is very poor. With two big fcukers in the box like Crouch/Torres, even Sami for the set plays, we should be doing a bit more damage to teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

PHB wrote:

p.s. Anyone who says Liverpool are defo through are being as silly as the people who wrote off Liverpool in this match. Inter still have the ability to take it to Liverpool in the San Siro and win 2-0. Sure Gerrard could get sent off for a tackle, you never know. The tie isn't over yet, and the Liverpool players know it, which is why they do so well in knockout comps.

I'm sorry but thats just horse****. Inter need to win 3-0 to go through, if pool score Inter need 4 :eek: it aint going to happen! Yes Inter had a man sent off last night and were superb in defence till the 85th min, they offered nowt offensively. Yes they might have had an off day but they were not the team hyped up by most.

The last time I can remember Liverpool losing 3-0 was away to Arsenal in the league last season. They're in the last 16 of the CL, do you see them rolling over? Eh, no.

You sound like Jamie Redknapp, rolling out the clichés and 'playing it safe' lines so you dont get burned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,301 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

did anyone hear that fool Dunphy after the game

'lets be realistic her bill liverpool are going to come nowhere close to winning the CL this year'

ok maybe we won't but given our pedigree in the comp over the last four years that is the most ridiculous statement ive heard in ages,

he was talking about barcelona and chelsea being on a different level to us, maybe they are eamo but it didnt stop us knocking them out before,

was he full again :D

IMAGINE.

Roma won last nite too. So did Schalke. They must be destined to win it too. Calm down. Its the last 16 not the first half of the final.

EDIT: I didnt see your popst further down where u apologised for getrtin carried away. i was just pointin out that there are still 15 other teams in the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Sizzler wrote: »
    I'm sorry but thats just horse****. Inter need to win 3-0 to go through, if pool score Inter need 4 :eek: it aint going to happen!

Amm no, i think if Inter win 2-0, then it is penalties so they don't have to score 3. It's still a tough ask but anything is possible in the champions league as ye should well now from Istanbul!!!

So of course it could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,301 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks for the congrats Neil 1984, you seemed to have disappeared for a while, will you hang around here again until you annoy everyone en masse and then disappear for another few months

why dont you look forward to uniteds game tonight and let us enjoy our victory

and the guy said imagine, which is all anyone here is doing

and with respect to roma and schalke, they hardly have the same european pedigree as we do now do they?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Cyrus wrote: »
    and with respect to roma and schalke, they hardly have the same european pedigree as we do now do they?

Tell that to Real Madrid and Porto who do have the same European pedigree as ye.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    Thanks for the congrats Neil 1984, you seemed to have disappeared for a while, will you hang around here again until you annoy everyone en masse and then disappear for another few months

why dont you look forward to uniteds game tonight and let us enjoy our victory

and the guy said imagine, which is all anyone here is doing

If u read back a few pages I came here, said the better team won and congratulated u whilst givin an objective look at the game.

Annoying everyone en masse here isnt hard given how precious some of the posters here can get, most of ya are decent but one or two seem to hang around here looking to linch anyone who comes in here without the red goggles on.

All I said was realism is required.Schalke and Roma both won home games just like u did. In fact Roma were very impressive last night. You seem to forget that there are 15 other teams in it still. The fact that u have pedigree means shag all, quality wins the tournament not history. LOADS of teams have pedigree. Thats very disrespectful of u to say. Real Madrid have pedigree too, but they lost to Roma last night. Well done with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pedigree Schmedigree tbh.

Football is the here and now, not four trophies won a quarter of a century ago.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

s_carnage wrote: »
    So of course it could happen.

Yup. The tie is ours to loose. We know what needs to be done in Milan and the team will be set out to try and get the job done. No way can it be taken for granted but I can't see us sticking 11 behind the ball and trying to shut up shop - I reckon we'll be using the likes of Gerrard, Babel, Torres, Pennant/Yossi to try nick something on the counter attack. Most likely it'll be a 4-5-1 formation with Torres up front and 2 of Alonso/Lucas/Masch in front of the back 4 with Gerrard covering every inch of grass on the pitch.

Should be a good game and really looking forward to it.

DesF wrote: »

Football is the here and now, not four trophies won a quarter of a century ago.:rolleyes:

Exactly. Have to say Cyrus that was a pretty stupid thing to say to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, a good night for Liverpool as it was a good result. But with goals in the 85th and 90th minute it could have easily petered out to a 0-0. Inter Milan came looking for a 0-0 draw, and were defending in banks of 4-4 at the back before the sending off. The sending-off was a factor as it gave Inter no real options on the break, but it still required Liverpool to break them down and made no difference in that regard (in terms of Liverpool's scoring).

Liverpool struggled to break them down though. Mascherano was immense in the game, but his role is not to provide penetration and he was busy getting the ball back. Lucas was poor for me. He didnt come looking for the ball, only gave simple passes back and to me he is lacking in confidence in his ability. He also gave no penetation. An on-form Alonso, who's face was injured, would have been a much better option. I hope he comes back into the fray soon.

With Hyypia and Carra mainly staying back, this meant that Liverpool were attacking with about 6 players against Milans 8 at the back, so it was far from exploiting their so-called numerical advantage. I was dissapointed with Liverpool's lack of ability to break them down, to raise the tempo, and really put them under the cosh. The crowd were eerily quiet for large swathes of the 2nd half as we huffed and puffed.

Eventually, we got a goal, but we had a lucky break with that slight deflection that put-off the flight of the ball and the goalie. Was one goal deserved? Yes, on the night, 1-0 would have been fair enough. The 2nd goal flatters us somewhat as we were just not able to break them down on the night. It was a good strike by Gerrard, he had tried a few during the night but Inter were wise to his capability and prevented him getting any clear-cut opportunities. The fact that he scored from an almost impossible position given the speed of the shot had more to do with the goalie waiting to see what his last defender did in front of him, and then diving at the last second. The goalie was good though throughout the night, notably from Torres shot which was the best chance of the match (although Crouch opting to contol rather than shoot when 8 yards out was a better chance!). I think it was a cross-shot from Gerrard, aiming for goal but in a danger area in the box where a leg could have put it away. The ball bounced 3 times on the ground before it went in off the left post so it came a long way, and only for the presence of the defenders their goalie would have easily caught it.

Inter defended well. They did a good job on Babel. Liverpool really need a left footed player to work down that left wing. Liverpool at times played 4-5-1 with Kuyt wide right. Needless to say Kuyt did not have a good game. In fact he was having such a bad game (apart from working his socks off, okay he did one or two passes but in the main was responsible for losing the ball) that on the 85th minute he was getting in the way of Torres (he had moved out to left 'wing') and Inter were not marking him. Instead, their 4 backs were mopping up everything going to Torres and Crouch, and we were just creating half-chances.

But with football, you need to attack if you want to score, and if you do and a break can come, no guarantees of course. But it did come. A cross from Finnan, aimed for Torres on the 6 yard line, he challenged but the ball went through the box and was missed by the Inter backs, and the unmarked Kuyt just hit it, down into the ground, but getting a key deflection which bounced it up and over the goalie. Did he mean it, erm, not likely.

> Liverpool went out and imposed themselves on the game

I dont see it that way I'm afraid. Yes, we had the ball all the time. But we lacked imagination and personnel in breaking them down. Its never easy to break a team like Inter down, but the clock ticked away and we created very few real openings. We should have had them under the cosh. Crouch should have been on a lot earlier, and on for Kuyt. Lucas should have been hauled off, or not even put on.

Obviously, confidence is still low overall. I could see that from Gerrard's body language as he lined up for the match. He was not relishing it. He did his bit though in the game. As did the usuals, Torres.

In terms of the tie, it is not over, of course not, there are 90 mins to go, but it is clearly advantage to Liverpool. I would expect a 4-5-1 set-up in the return leg in 2 weeks, a reargaurd action and hoping for Torres to do something on the break, maybe with the help of a wide runner with pace. It will be a different game but clearly Liverpool can hold them out, no guarantees of course, that's football.

As for the Bill-Dumb-phy-Gilesy pantomime, remember, it is just that - a pantomime. Giles, who I have more time for, just doesnt see that Benitez optimises his selections at all times for the CL, and the league second.

Now, back to the chase for 4th. Liverpool need another result in the next game, but what will the formation be and will it be enough to win the match. Lets see....

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Let's not think of the club in crisis and think about the future with benitez!

:D

Your eternal optimism is inspiring.

Great result. Nearly ruptured my larynx when Gerrard scored. With a lucky draw (i.e. one of Schalke / Porto / Roma), we might have a sniff at another champions league final.

Still, one swallow doesn't make a summer. A couple of poor results in the league and the pressure will be right back on Benitez. It's no use being able to raise your game maybe 5 times a year in the champions league. I want to see consistency.

But, no more grumbling for today. Just going to enjoy last night's result and pray for a Man U reversal against Lyon. There would be some comfort this season in not seeing Man U win the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Exactly, pedigree is getting into two finals in last three years and winning one of them.
    Its definitely not for example winning it twice, last time being nine years ago, or making one final and loosing it, and even god forbid, never getting past the semi's.:rolleyes:

redspider wrote: »
    Well, a good night for Liverpool as it was a good result. But with goals in the 85th and 90th minute it could have easily petered out to a 0-0. Inter Milan came looking for a 0-0 draw, and were defending in banks of 4-4 at the back before the sending off. The sending-off was a factor as it gave Inter no real options on the break, but it still required Liverpool to break them down and made no difference in that regard (in terms of Liverpool's scoring).

Liverpool struggled to break them down though. Mascherano was immense in the game, but his role is not to provide penetration and he was busy getting the ball back. Lucas was poor for me. He didnt come looking for the ball, only gave simple passes back and to me he is lacking in confidence in his ability. He also gave no penetation. An on-form Alonso, who's face was injured, would have been a much better option. I hope he comes back into the fray soon.

With Hyypia and Carra mainly staying back, this meant that Liverpool were attacking with about 6 players against Milans 8 at the back, so it was far from exploiting their so-called numerical advantage. I was dissapointed with Liverpool's lack of ability to break them down, to raise the tempo, and really put them under the cosh. The crowd were eerily quiet for large swathes of the 2nd half as we huffed and puffed.

Eventually, we got a goal, but we had a lucky break with that slight deflection that put-off the flight of the ball and the goalie. Was one goal deserved? Yes, on the night, 1-0 would have been fair enough. The 2nd goal flatters us somewhat as we were just not able to break them down on the night. It was a good strike by Gerrard, he had tried a few during the night but Inter were wise to his capability and prevented him getting any clear-cut opportunities. The fact that he scored from an almost impossible position given the speed of the shot had more to do with the goalie waiting to see what his last defender did in front of him, and then diving at the last second. The goalie was good though throughout the night, notably from Torres shot which was the best chance of the match (although Crouch opting to contol rather than shoot when 8 yards out was a better chance!). I think it was a cross-shot from Gerrard, aiming for goal but in a danger area in the box where a leg could have put it away. The ball bounced 3 times on the ground before it went in off the left post so it came a long way, and only for the presence of the defenders their goalie would have easily caught it.

Inter defended well. They did a good job on Babel. Liverpool really need a left footed player to work down that left wing. Liverpool at times played 4-5-1 with Kuyt wide right. Needless to say Kuyt did not have a good game. In fact he was having such a bad game (apart from working his socks off, okay he did one or two passes but in the main was responsible for losing the ball) that on the 85th minute he was getting in the way of Torres (he had moved out to left 'wing') and Inter were not marking him. Instead, their 4 backs were mopping up everything going to Torres and Crouch, and we were just creating half-chances.

But with football, you need to attack if you want to score, and if you do and a break can come, no guarantees of course. But it did come. A cross from Finnan, aimed for Torres on the 6 yard line, he challenged but the ball went through the box and was missed by the Inter backs, and the unmarked Kuyt just hit it, down into the ground, but getting a key deflection which bounced it up and over the goalie. Did he mean it, erm, not likely.

I dont see it that way I'm afraid. Yes, we had the ball all the time. But we lacked imagination and personnel in breaking them down. Its never easy to break a team like Inter down, but the clock ticked away and we created very few real openings. We should have had them under the cosh. Crouch should have been on a lot earlier, and on for Kuyt. Lucas should have been hauled off, or not even put on.

Obviously, confidence is still low overall. I could see that from Gerrard's body language as he lined up for the match. He was not relishing it. He did his bit though in the game. As did the usuals, Torres.

In terms of the tie, it is not over, of course not, there are 90 mins to go, but it is clearly advantage to Liverpool. I would expect a 4-5-1 set-up in the return leg in 2 weeks, a reargaurd action and hoping for Torres to do something on the break, maybe with the help of a wide runner with pace. It will be a different game but clearly Liverpool can hold them out, no guarantees of course, that's football.

As for the Bill-Dumb-phy-Gilesy pantomime, remember, it is just that - a pantomime. Giles, who I have more time for, just doesnt see that Benitez optimises his selections at all times for the CL, and the league second.

Now, back to the chase for 4th. Liverpool need another result in the next game, but what will the formation be and will it be enough to win the match. Lets see....

Redspider

Excellent post.

Fair play to Pool tho, they gritted it out, stuck at it and got the two goals that their pressure alone deserved. But there were worrying limitations in their attacking play. For me they need to work on creating more chances as a team unit rather than relyin on Torres' brilliance, Gerrards creativity and endeavor and Crouches height to create the chances for them. However, as a unit thwey defend very well which is imo the main reason their main strength.

dobsdave wrote: »
    Exactly, pedigree is getting into two finals in last three years and winning one of them.
    Its definitely not for example winning it twice, last time being nine years ago, or making one final and loosing it, and even god forbid, never getting past the semi's.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry mate but this is the sort of thing that drives people to despise Pool fans.

I could just as easily come back with remarks but I wont stoop to the level your idiotic ramblings. the fact that u think winning it twice (including a treble) ISNT pedigree says it all about u to be honest. Im breaking the rules of my sig here by writing back to your rucbbish. But i dont want to talk about pedigree because I live in the present day.

Pedigree doesnt mean u are just gonna stroll through and win it again. But sure, just keep playing the history card whenever u want to have a go, suppose thats wat worsks for u. if thats all you've got to throw around then thats your problem. Me, I like nostalgia as much as the next guy but I like to talk about the current goings on rather than remind everyone I talk to about history.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Well,
    Lets see....

Redspider

Summed it up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

kida wrote: »
    ....as for your managers reaction, it was nothing short of disgusting. Fair enough, you can understand a mangers reaction if it was for a malicous tackle but they were for 2 innocous tackles...

I dont get why people have given out about what Rafa did, showing the two fingers. To me he was pointing out it was the second yellow as the ref took a while before he pulled out the red card. That is totally acceptable imo. Nothing disgusting about that.

Pool showed us tonight what they are capable of. I just cant understand how they do it so often in europe but cant transfer that to the premiership. Last night really showed how badly we lack a quality winger if not 2 imo. Time and time again we had the ball wide with no decent crosses coming in, nobody really looking to take the fullbacks on and get to the by-line and it just kept getting passed across the field. Babel did it on occasion and I thought he had a decent game but he constantly checks onto his right foot which slows his momentum.

Delighted for Kuyt. He has had a tough year and form has been terrible(not the only pool player we can say that about) but hopefully his confidence will grow. If it does and he scores a few more he might earn back his place in the dutch squad.

kida wrote: »
    Hopefully the Italians will have a homer of a referee and Carragher will get a red as well to balace things out.

A Homer?! Are you fcking kidding me?! How about the stone cold definate penalty we didn't get? As the pundits said (one of the few correct calls), he wasn't a Homer, he was just crap.

On the pedigree thing, well yeah as was said its in the here and now, form counts, and in this particular competition liverpool have the second best form over the past few years after AC Milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Redspider

Probably the best read of the game in my opinion so far in this thread.
    A fantastic result but it really does flatter Liverpool.
    My reading of the game was that gerrard,torres,hyppia and both full backs
    to a lesser extent played well.
    Mascherano was in a different league to everyone on the pitch to be honest.
    At times he was forced to be Liverpools defensive midfielder and playmaker
    due to Lucas being so poor. A lot of people here rate Lucas and I honestly
    dont know why. He is not a playmaker, his vision is poor and his range of
    passing is limited. He is neither a defensive midfielder, a playmaker and he will
    never get the chance to be a box to box midfielder so why on earth did
    liverpool buy him? Baffling me to be honest.
    He will need to improve out of all recognition to ever be a first choice player.
    Could happen but i honestly doubt it.
    Alonso on a bad day is a far better addition to liverpools midfield and he should
    start in Milan no matter how injured his eyebrow is!
    The game for me highlighted liverpools lack of width and quality in the wide
    areas, Babel is not a winger and i dont think he has the tricks or close control
    to ever be a top class winger, he does have an eye for goal and bags of pace
    so will hopefully blossom when he plays higher up the pitch.
    Was disappointed by the quality of our full backs going forward too.
    However this has to be a blip as both of them on their day are good crossers
    of the ball.
    Carragher is starting to look more and more nervous with the ball at his feet.
    Its not a good sign but he and Hyppia completely negated all of Inters attacks.
    Overall happy with some parts of the performance but still think a midfield
    that has yossi, mascherano, alonso and gerrard is Liverpools best lineup.
    Cant for the life of me not see Liverpool going through.
    On a final point those 3 simpletons on RTE are beyond a joke at this stage.
    A team that wins 3 italian titles on the trot (well almost) with the likes of
    viera and figo on the bench are a quality side and to beat them without them
    having a shot on target is a great achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry mate but this is the sort of thing that drives people to despise Pool fans.

I could just as easily come back with remarks but I wont stoop to the level your idiotic ramblings. the fact that u think winning it twice (including a treble) ISNT pedigree says it all about u to be honest. Im breaking the rules of my sig here by writing back to your rucbbish. But i dont want to talk about pedigree because I live in the present day.

Pedigree doesnt mean u are just gonna stroll through and win it again. But sure, just keep playing the history card whenever u want to have a go, suppose thats wat worsks for u. if thats all you've got to throw around then thats your problem. Me, I like nostalgia as much as the next guy but I like to talk about the current goings on rather than remind everyone I talk to about history.

Completely agree.
    Sevilla have never done a damn thing in the CL does that mean they are no
    threat this year?
    Roma never won the CL but beat Real last night.
    Stupid comment really, pedigree adds to the aura surrounding a team doesnt
    guarantee they will win matches though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Kuyt never really has a great game, a grafter thats it in my opinion. I've expected him to turn it around so many times and he never produces the goods. His goals are always sloppy, they all count I know but he's not the quality that Liverpool need up front to play along side Torres. Is he being picked to graft and run his socks off? Something that Crouch doesnt do? For a tall fellow Peter Crouch has a fantastic touch and he should be starting alot more games for Liverpool.

Mascherano finally played to his full potential and ability last night. Thats how its done, if Liverpool could get a confident flying Alonso back and stay injury clear they have a great chance of reaching the final.

An average performance by alot of Liverpool players it has to be said, but well deserved victory regardless of the sending off or not. I think there was going to be one winner in the match last night if it was 11 against 10 or 11.

Liverpool to progess, the tie surely over. Well done Mascherano and come out of retirement Finnan.

• Advertisement

In fairness Neil, this is not exclusive to Pool fans. Good to see you haven't gotten any more tolerant of your scouse bretherin since moving job.

Liverpool are a massive threat to all teams in Europe. Our RECENT performaces in Europe show that, as well as a manager who has no equal over a two legged tie.

Last nights game was super.
    Liverpool were excellent. The people saying Inter were coming to life when Matterazzzzzziii was sent off are fairly wide of the mark, i am struggling to remember them being in our half at all in the first half an hour. The sending off may have been a bit harsh, one was definately a yellow but it looks like Torres may have gone down easy enough for the other, i'll have to see it again. But the irony of the Utd fans in here slating him and Rafa is hilarious. The same people who wont say a bad word about phantom tackles on certain other players.

Reina-I honestly think he is the best goalie in the league,i cant remember the last time he made a mistake.Bit mental sometimes but so are all the best goalies.

Aurelio/Finnan-both did excellent,hopefully Aurelio can stay fit for the remainder of the season.

Carra/Hypia-Both solid as a rock the few times they were needed.

Babel-Always starts brightly, but then fades out of the game, i think this answers why Rafa rarely starts him. Seems to deliver best at the minute in short bursts for the time being.

Mascherano-The lad is sheer sheer sheer sheer class. MOTM again.

Kuyt-thought he was absolutely excellent. delighted for him.

Torres-Always looks so dangerous anytime he gets the ball.

Gerrard-led by example another super game.

Lucas-couple of dodgy moments, but also showed great vision at times picking some excellent passes.

Rafa-Love him. Please don't fire him. Please don't walk.:o

Ps. Any injustice of the sending off was cancelled out by Liverpool by having the most blatant of penos rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So how about the trophy we won three seasons ago and the runners up medals from last year then. Sufficient European pedigree in the here and now?

Last comment on the tie (Redspider has weighed in with his excellent analysis):

There is a chance that Inter could do it. If we slipped up and conceded an early goal it could be quite uncomfortable over there. If they perform; and we don't show up - it is possible we get turned over. There is 90 mins to play, and it only takes one to score a goal.

Now, I'm looking forward to pushing on with the league this weekend. Three points please!!

In fairness Neil, this is not exclusive to Pool fans. Good to see you haven't gotten any more tolerant of your scouse bretherin since moving job.

Liverpool are a massive threat to all teams in Europe. Our RECENT performaces in Europe show that, as well as a manager who has no equal over a two legged tie.

Ps. Any injustice of the sending off was cancelled out by Liverpool by having the most blatant of penos rejected.

In all fairness Al, I have written a lot of positive posts about last night and have generally been positive. I have checked a few statements pointing out that whilst it was a good performance it wasnt harlem globetrotter stuff as some people are making otu, and nor should it be, it was a crunch game, must win, hence result > performance. However, even u have to admit that posts like that would make ya think negatively of fans, no? If someone had made a similarly malicious anti Pool post over in the United thread you'd have been doing exactly what I did. And no its not exclusive to Pool fans, never said it was, all clubs have dickhead fans, United have loads, but bein reminded of history every second sentence gets borin and tedious and even u have to admit that his post was beyond moronic to claim United have no pedigree. Frankly talking about pedigree for me is weak, as i have said, pedigree wins you nothing. But it was blatantly just him trying to be smart and rag on the other PL for the sake of it. And the fact that his whole argument was based on things that happened in the past said to me that he has nothing better to use.

Em, your RECENT performances saw u barely get out of an easy group and struggle for 85 mins to break down a team that didnt want to know about attacking. Thats not to say you're not a threat but Im just saying that a bit of perspective is needed. Pool played well but to suddenly say they are gonna walk the CL is stupid. But i do agree, they are a danger to anyone they meet. No team will be jumping at the task of going to Anfield next round.

Agree about the red card and peno statement.

Neil, no one is claiming we are gonna walk the Champions league. Anyone who does is an idiot.

And since you are fond of the recent history...thing....our recent results include an all time record goal fest and beating Porto 4-1 ;)

Neil, no one is claiming we are gonna walk the Champions league. Anyone who does is an idiot.

And since you are fond of the recent history...thing....our recent results include an all time record goal fest and beating Porto 4-1 ;)

Read the posts regarding "pedigree" etc. Some poorly veiled remarks in there as well.

Thats more like it, your form in the CL picked up at the end of the group stages. But its also wasy to forget that there were some dismal performances in the group stages also.

Like I have said, you're a tough draw for anyone. As are Cheslea, Barce, Roma/Real, Barca, Arsenal/Milan and, shock horror, even that little club with no pedigree at all who werent the first English team to win it and won only a measly treble.......cant even think of their name now cos theyre so lacking in pedigree! Think we can all agree that Schalke/Porto are out next round!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement