Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Slightly off topic, but I remember 15+ years ago (before sky and saturated coverage basically) the league table was even published in papers until after 4 games (unless I am remembering incorrectly of course). I think it is only after 4 games that being top should be considered being top if you know what I mean.

Anyways, hopefully we can continue the good start and get at least 7 points from our next 3 matches (1 pt against Portsmouth, and wins against Birmingham and Wigan). A run like that will set us up well for our touger run of games after that, Spurs, Everton, Arsenal. I think it is really only after that set of games that we will have a real feel for how the season is like to pan out for us. I know that it is possible to have a crap run in them and win 8 on the bounce or whatever, but I feel that the key this season will be consistency, and I would rather get a good points total that way that have a shocking run for 10 games that leaves us 15 points behind until a late surge takes us to within a few at the end, but then again if we were to win it I don't really care how it comes tbh!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

5starpool wrote:
    Slightly off topic, but I remember 15+ years ago (before sky and saturated coverage basically) the league table was even published in papers until after 4 games (unless I am remembering incorrectly of course). I think it is only after 4 games that being top should be considered being top if you know what I mean.

I think 3 games was the norm? Thats what is considered the norm now too in most TV stations. Before 3 games you don't bother with the table at the end of programmes, after that you do it at the end of every show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Anyway, am so gutted that Gerrard, who was not fit enough to play for liverpool will now be made fit to play for Engerland. In fairness though, I would say that he is pushing to play as much as McClaren is pushing him to. Particularly as he was dying to play in the Derby game...

thats wat pisses me off about it. he should be concentrating on Liverpool, not playing through injury for England. hence the reason he is a tad annoying sometimes!

he's a pretty good player though, so haev to put up with him :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

are you questioning his commitment to liverpool then millersangel??;)

joking!!! couldnt resist! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

The 4 game thing isn't really improtant though especially considering most teams have played 5:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Article that deals with funding for the new stadium and the debt it will put the club in

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2007/09/06/sfnbon106.xml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I see Hargreaves is very doubtful for England's first game after aggravating a hamstring injury - so that increases the chances of Stevie playing.

There was a listeners text poll on BBC 5 Live yesterday morning, and by the time I finshed listening there was 80% against Gerrard receiving an injection - which surprised the hosts of the show because they were trying to play up the "do it for your country" rubbish. Of course maybe it was scousers and jocks jamming the lines :D

I don't mind him playing one of the games, preferably the first one. However it would be very silly of Gerrard to allow himself take pain killing injections for 2 games in the space of 4 days.

Back to the "do it for your country" lark, with fat Frank and StevieG both crocked I can't understand why there hasnt been a demand for Scholes to come back on a once off for both of these home games.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Quite a good interview with Mascherano up on the LFC.tv web site today.. seems pretty humble and quite settled at Liverpool..

I like the 5 a side question:

Okay, finally, pick your LFC five-a-side team?

Stevie Gerrard, Pepe, Carra, Xabi and Dirk Kuyt. Dirk is fantastic, I like him. He works very hard in every game and every training session. He has class and is technically good – a fantastic player, for me.

You're not including yourself?

[Laughs] No, no way.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/features/this_season/FN11754070906-0910.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Torres injury...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2711119,00.html

probably not serious though

Liverpool 5 aside team . . . .

Reina-Agger-Mascherano-Gerrard-Torres.....oh yea!

can someone post up the interview with Mascherano up here if they have a min, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Liverpool 5 aside team . . . .

Reina-Agger-Mascherano-Gerrard-Torres.....oh yea!

can someone post up the interview with Mascherano up here if they have a min, thanks!

i would have to agree with that 5 aside team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

So many questions were waiting to be answered: What went wrong? Why would things be any different at Anfield? Could he really cut it in English football?

Just two days had elapsed since the Premier League ended one of the longest transfer sagas in history by approving Mascherano's move north, and he looked weary as he ambled into the Melwood press room.
    The Argentine may have been flanked by an interpreter, but a mixture of shock and nerves meant his true thoughts were largely lost in translation.

Six months on and the change is palpable. The 23-year-old insists on doing today's interview in English - he says he must practise. Gone is the grimace; instead the man Maradona described as a "monster" wears a huge smile. It's team photo day, and he looks proud as punch as he pulls up a pew wearing full Liverpool attire.

Mascherano has found his mojo. Not that it's any use to us, for all those unanswered questions have already been put to bed on the pitch.

From his impressive debut against Sheffield United to his man-of-the-match display in the Champions League final, our new number 20 has proved he's worth a place in the "best midfield in the world".

Here he talks to Liverpoolfc.tv about life at Melwood, scoring goals, his best mates in the squad and John Arne Riise's hair.

Oh, and we also ask him to pick his LFC five-a-side team...

We last spoke in February when you first arrived on Merseyside. How pleased are you when you look back on the last six months?

I'm very happy. I got to play in a lot of games for Liverpool last season, and important games too. I played in a Champions League final - amazing. Also the semi-final against Chelsea, that was special. It all happened so quickly for me, so yes, I'm very pleased. Things couldn't have gone better.

Quite a turnaround from the way things were going at West Ham?
    Yes. I think this is because the manager has confidence in me - very important. Rafa has helped me a lot. I was not playing at West Ham, but he came to London and he told me I could play for Liverpool, told me I could play in a good team. He said he needed me. When you are not getting a game for West Ham and the Liverpool manager is talking about you, you can't believe it. It is for this reason I am very happy here.

And you can talk with him in Spanish – that must help?

I arrived at West Ham and was in another country with another language and a different culture. It's a lot easier here because the manager is Spanish. I can talk with him, though not a lot because he likes to speak English. The lessons are going well, but I find that here in Liverpool the people are hard to understand. Scousers - it's very difficult.
    Which players helped you settle in?

All my new teammates were great with me, helping me adapt to this new life here at another club. Up until a week or two ago I did everything with Gabby Paletta. I was with him all the time, but now I talk a lot with Sebastian Leto and also Alvaro Arbeloa. All the players at Liverpool are good, the atmosphere is great. You can talk to anyone.

So, you've been at the club a few months, your time in England hasn't been all that great, and all of a sudden you're playing in a Champions League final. Were you having to pinch yourself?

I couldn't believe what was happening. In six months at West Ham I'd played five or six games. It was very difficult for me to even go to training everyday, because I knew no matter what I would never play. The situation was very difficult. Then when I arrived here I still thought it was going to be very difficult for me to play, because Liverpool were one of the biggest clubs in the world and they already had Momo Sissoko, Steven Gerrard and Xabi Alonso in the midfield. When I got my opportunity, all I could do was try to do my best, but it was easier because I knew the people here rated me.

Mascherano, JavierAnd you got the fans on side pretty much straight away. Now they sing that we've got the best midfield in the world. Can you sing it?

[Laughs] No, but I know the words – the one about Momo Sissoko, Xabi Alonso, Gerrard and Mascherano. I can hear them sing it and it makes me feel good. Like you said, I've been here just six months, so to have the fans sing my name already is just great. The Liverpool fans are fantastic – I have never seen anything like them at Anfield. No other fans sing like them, it's incredible.

Having the best midfield in the world means you sometimes have to sit out – how does it feel when you're sat on the bench?

Everybody wants to play football, but Liverpool have two players in every position. This is needed because we have four competitions to play in and we want to win them all. If this means I have to go to the bench sometimes, that's not important. What is important is that when I play, I have to play really good. The manager has to know I can do well when he needs me.

You mention there's two players in each position. Your direct rival as a sitting midfielder, if you like, is Xabi Alonso. Not an easy man to get out of the team, is he?

He is fantastic. I see that every day in training. I think he is one of the best midfielders in the world. The passes and the class – really good

Then there's Lucas Leiva. He's arrived from Brazil but the Liverpool fans haven't seen a lot of him yet. How good can he be?
    I played against him in Brazil when he was with Gremio and I was at Corinthians. He gave me a tough game, so I know he is a really good player. But when you arrive in another country you have new teammates and you have to learn a language. Maybe you have to play in a different way, so you need time.

One of your fellow midfielders, Momo Sissoko, got his first Liverpool goal a week ago. What were you thinking when that went in? How long are we going to have to wait for your first strike?

It was fantastic. He is a really good person, and a big man. As for me, maybe I haven't got a goal, but I've never scored many throughout my career. It would be fantastic to score for Liverpool but sometimes it's hard from my position. I will try but I don't know if I can do it.

Mascherano, JavierYou got a couple of goals this summer in the Copa America, but like the Champions League, that ended in defeat in the final. How has that affected you?

To big involved in two great finals and not win one, it's very disappointing. The Champions League final is the dream for any player, and the Copa America is very important for my country. I was very disappointed - I am very disappointed.

Do these disappointments make you more determined to win things with Liverpool this year?

I don't know if it makes me more determined. When you lose in football, you can't turn back time and change anything. All I can look at is the four trophies Liverpool can win. I think this season we can win any trophy we are in, because we have a very good squad and have made a good start.

I want to talk to you about life at Melwood. In any squad you get vocal players and those who are quiet. Where do you fit in?

I'm quiet, very much so. Everyone is like that here really. I like it in this city because it's relaxed and quiet. Life is good in Liverpool. I don't go out too much. My life is at home playing with my daughter.

Who are the more vocal members of the squad?

Carra is talking and Jermaine Pennant is always happy. He is very funny.

Do your teammates have a nickname for you?

I don't have one. Arbeloa has one: we call him 'Vareta Fly'. I don't know why, I think that's just what they call him in Spain. We call John Riise 'Ginger' [Laughs].

Does he not mind?

[Still laughing] No, no. Everyone shouts 'Ginger, Ginger', I don't know what he thinks!

Which of your teammates do you have in your mobile phone?

Arbeloa, Leto and Yossi Benayoun. Yossi is my friend because we were at West Ham together for six months, and he helped me a lot there. I think that's it.

Is there anyone in training you don't look forward to tackling?

Sometimes, but training isn't really like that. You don't want to injure anyone. You work so hard running and doing weights, but when you play football 11 against 11, or seven on seven, you are not tackling hard.

Okay, finally, pick your LFC five-a-side team?

Stevie Gerrard, Pepe, Carra, Xabi and Dirk Kuyt. Dirk is fantastic, I like him. He works very hard in every game and every training session. He has class and is technically good – a fantastic player, for me.

You're not including yourself?

[Laughs] No, no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Mascherano is a bit of a legend alright. IMO his performances merit him starting ahead of Xabi and Momo.

Thank you again Mr Wolf, two days runnning, i may have to start paying you a wage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Hopefully Torres wont be too bad.
    Internationals not going well so far, Stevie gonna play, Torres hurt, Finnan out, and Masch playing in Aussie land so he wont be available for Portsmouth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

if i was tbh, i think masch + gerrard is our best pairing in the middle... but its so tough to call. lets just be thankful we have this "problem"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Off topic for a moment... if you've got an hour to spare, sit down for Robbie Fowler's first 100 goals for Liverpool.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=HBBQMWJB

What comes across most of all is what a great striker of a ball he was, what great technique he had, and how many end up in the corner giving the goalie no chance. If it wasn't for injuries.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Seen that video before. Well worth the watch.

Definitely my favourite Liverpool player ever, i ordered a Cardiff shirt last night with "Fowler 8" on the back

so wat happens if Liverpool get Cardiff in one of the cups now??!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Stky10 wrote:
    If it wasn't for injuries.......
    ........and a certain Mr.Houllier :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I presume he just won't wear the shirt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

so wat happens if Liverpool get Cardiff in one of the cups now??!?!

I dont wear it :confused:
    Throw on a pair of shorts and show off my Liverpool tattoo just so everyone doesnt get confused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Mascherano is a bit of a legend alright. IMO his performances merit him starting ahead of Xabi and Momo.
    I'd agree. He has been awesome, not only this term, but last aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Craig Fagan has been handed a four match ban for stamping on Arbeloa. I had read during the week that the clown was appealing the original three match ban. I'd love to know how he thought appealing was a good idea. I guess it's just proving footballers aren't the brightest....
    Derby striker Craig Fagan has been banned for four matches after he was found guilty of stamping on Liverpool defender Alvaro Arbeloa.

Fagan was found guilty by an independent commission and given an automatic three-match ban. with an additional game for making what was considered a frivolous appeal.

Fagan does have the right to appeal against the additional one-game suspension, but not the three-match sanction.

A statement from the Football Association read: "At an independent regulatory commission hearing today, a charge of violent conduct against Derby County's Craig Fagan was found proved.

"Fagan had denied the charge, which related to an incident involving Liverpool's Alvaro Arbeloa during the match at Anfield on Saturday, September 1.

"Referee Alan Wiley confirmed that he did not see the incident, and that had he done so he would have sent Fagan off."

Fagan was adjudged to have deliberately stamped on the leg of Arbeloa as the pair tussled close to the touchline during Liverpool's 6-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Really Tusky?

If Chelsea offered SWP in a straight swap for Pennant, you'd want Liverpool to accept?

No bloody way would I. I think Pennant is the more complete package. They say SWP is in the form of his life - yet Pennant is playing better. IMO anyway.

I think if SWP played as much as Pennant has in the last couple of seasons he would be in better form yeah. You have to remember he has barely played in the last two years.

I think hes an incredibly skillful player and blisteringly fast. Dont get me wrong, I rate Pennant highly as well. Theres not much in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

On the Pennant Vs SWP thing, on current form Pennant for me. Having siad that, for the first time SWP is looking good for Chelsea. Perhaps he should still be getting more end product, but he is looking a real danger, and was one of the few Chelsea players to even look remotely dangerous against Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Pennant really has proved a lot of people wrong, but I would rate SWP a lot higher than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

SWP is doing well in a team playing relatively poorly at the mo, Pennant is playing well in a team playing well all round... it can sort of skew the perceptions a bit. i think had you put SWP in liverpools starting line up he'd be better than Pennant, not to take anything away from pennant he's done well, but i think SWP has a little extra in him that tbh he hasn't been given the chance to show at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Melion wrote:

Definitely my favourite Liverpool player ever, i ordered a Cardiff shirt last night with "Fowler 8" on the back

Mine got delivered last week, worn it twice playing 5 a side already. :)

Intersting comments on the SWP v Pennant. I'm obviously in the minority in thinking that all SWP has is pace. Pennant has more skill and has better delivery IMO. SWP has a tendency to panic when in space. Frightening to see a professional footballer having miskicks and fresh airs like SWP does. I think his performances this season have been over-rated too.

• Advertisement

Intersting comments on the SWP v Pennant. I'm obviously in the minority in thinking that all SWP has is pace. Pennant has more skill and has better delivery IMO. SWP has a tendency to panic when in space. Frightening to see a professional footballer having miskicks and fresh airs like SWP does. I think his performances this season have been over-rated too.
    I'll admit that pretty much the only times I've seen Wright-Phillips play has been against Liverpool barring the occasional highlight reel when he was with Man City. As a result, it's not surprising that I would rate Pennant far higher as most recent Chelsea performances against Liverpool have been pretty poor. When Wright-Phillips has put in a man of the match performance in a Champions League final then he'll be worthy of a comparison to Pennant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Kanney wrote:
    Hopefully Torres wont be too bad.
    Internationals not going well so far, Stevie gonna play, Torres hurt, Finnan out, and Masch playing in Aussie land so he wont be available for Portsmouth.

The only good thing about Masch playing over here is that I'm off to the game so I get to see him in the flesh.

Apparently they've sold about 80,000 tickets for it. As long as he stays away from Lucas Neill he hopefully should come away injury free.

The one time I went to see a game in Australia was when Frnace played the 'socceroos' in Melbourne in 2001, and Kevin Muscat absolutely creeled someone, think it was Djorkaeff, but I think Muscat is retired, so Masch should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Don't think he's officially retired from internationals but he hasn't played in about a year. He's still creaming people regularly in the A-League for Melbourne Victory though.

Think it was Dugarry's leg he broke too. Although he's probably broken more than one in his time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Gerrard is definitely playing tomorrow :(
    I hope england lose and McLaren gets sacked, I hate him so much!!

silly silly gerrard :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Gerrard is definitely playing tomorrow

I'm not a religous man but I'll have the rosary beads out over the next few days!

It's only gonna prove one thing IMO, how much better the Engerland midfield will be without Lampard in partnership with Stevie, but I hope they prove me wrong of course :D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If he's fit, then fair enough, but if its under another pain killing injection then this is simply r*tarded.

my 'silly gerrard' comment was under the assumption that it would be with injections . . . .am i wrong in that??

~Rebel~ wrote:
    If he's fit, then fair enough, but if its under another pain killing injection then this is simply r*tarded.
    From everything I've heard in the run-up to this game, it leads me to believe to it has to be with the aid of a pain killing injection.

While McClaren obviously did his best to persuade him, it has to be remembered that the final decision rests with Gerrard.

Its a risk, I dont think its retarded. He feels like his country needs him, he did it for the Chelsea game and came through it alright, so I can understand his decision.

From a Liverpool perseptive, getting 90 minutes under his belt will be no harm (unless it does do him harm! :eek: ), but it would be retarted to play in the game on Wednesday with another injection.

Yossi's 20/1 to score first on Saturday. Lump on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Gerrard is definitely playing tomorrow :(
    I hope england lose and McLaren gets sacked, I hate him so much!!
    I dont see how it is McClarens fault. If Gerrard says he is fit enough to play (with or without an injection) then thats Gerrards decison, i doubt McClaren is forcing him to play.

i doubt he is forcing him tp play, but i'm sure he has been trying to convince him to play alright.

his job depends on them winning this game tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think that ultimately, if the medical team think it's okay then he should make the decision.

Also, didn't Liverpool give him the jab to get him through the Chelsea game?

I read that he came through his last 2 training sessions without a painkilling injection, but training sessions are a different kettle of fish though.

malice_ wrote:
    When Wright-Phillips has put in a man of the match performance in a Champions League final then he'll be worthy of a comparison to Pennant!
    Sorry but I have to correct this.

Pennant and Zenden had so much of the ball in the CL Final and not once did either of them use it properly. Their final ball was rubbish and thats what lost u the game. Had Pennant have even delivered 3 decent balls Gerrard would have scored but he didnt so there is no chance he was MOTM. At one stage Gerrard threw his arms up in frustration at Pennant cos the pass played to him was up around chest height so Gerrard had to move awkwardly just to get contact onthe ball. A proper delivery along the ground, like a top wionger is supposed to do, would have seen Gerrard scor Im sure since he'd have had a clear shot on goal. Thats one example where the ball reached Gerrard, otherwise Pennats was over/under hitting crosses all night. If anything the CL Final exposed his limitations as a player. Not that SWP has done anything better but to say Pennant was MOTM is kinda laughable when u consider how much quality possession he wasted. Sure he looked good bringin the ball forward every 2 minutes but MOTM is based on end product and there was none. No offence.

As for the Pennant vs SWP debate Id pick SWP to be honest. He hasnt shown the form at Man City ccos he's a smaller fish in a big pond now at Chelski as opposed to the big fish in the small pond at City. But he has been great this season so far and if u offered me one or the other Id take SWP every time. Bentley is probably the best of the 3 options on the right for England based purely on this seasons form but I doubt McLaren will pick him.

Sorry but I have to correct this.

Pennant and Zenden had so much of the ball in the CL Final and not once did either of them use it properly. Their final ball was rubbish and thats what lost u the game. Had Pennant have even delivered 3 decent balls Gerrard would have scored but he didnt so there is no chance he was MOTM. At one stage Gerrard threw his arms up in frustration at Pennant cos the pass played to him was up around chest height so Gerrard had to move awkwardly just to get contact onthe ball. A proper delivery along the ground, like a top wionger is supposed to do, would have seen Gerrard scor Im sure since he'd have had a clear shot on goal. Thats one example where the ball reached Gerrard, otherwise Pennats was over/under hitting crosses all night. If anything the CL Final exposed his limitations as a player. Not that SWP has done anything better but to say Pennant was MOTM is kinda laughable when u consider how much quality possession he wasted. Sure he looked good bringin the ball forward every 2 minutes but MOTM is based on end product and there was none. No offence.

As for the Pennant vs SWP debate Id pick SWP to be honest. He hasnt shown the form at Man City ccos he's a smaller fish in a big pond now at Chelski as opposed to the big fish in the small pond at City. But he has been great this season so far and if u offered me one or the other Id take SWP every time. Bentley is probably the best of the 3 options on the right for England based purely on this seasons form but I doubt McLaren will pick him.
    No offence taken at all :) I haven't watched the game since but from what I remember of the game Pennant saw a lot of the ball and it was a lack of presence in the box that let us down. He's going to look like he's not doing much if he's banging in crosses at one person that the defence are dealing with easily every time. Of course, it's distinctly possible that my memory is wrong :)

malice_ wrote:
    No offence taken at all :) I haven't watched the game since but from what I remember of the game Pennant saw a lot of the ball and it was a lack of presence in the box that let us down. He's going to look like he's not doing much if he's banging in crosses at one person that the defence are dealing with easily every time. Of course, it's distinctly possible that my memory is wrong :)
    There were at least 3 or 4 occasions when Gerrard was making a late run and Pennant over or under hit the ball. Also there were 1 or 2 occassions when the box was empty but he put a cross in anyway. That kind of thing is just not acceptable in a CL Final, he should be lookin to hold up the play and if theres nothing up for him then pass backwards to someone like Alonso/Gerrard /Finnan and look for new openings. Pennant is young though, he may well improve this part of his game. I just felt MOTM was a bit much considering he had so many opportunites to influence the outcome of the game and didnt take them. IMO this has been an aspect of Liverpools play that has improved this year, much more clinical, Torres obviously but IMO Voronin has been thus far a great signing. Those are the kind of quality players u were missing last year. Even Kuyt looks much improved now that he has pace to play off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pennants crossing was off alright in the CL final. The rest of his game that night was good but he just wasn't finding a man enough. To say that shows up the limitations of his game though, i dont know...his crossing is probably the best part of his game, which we're seeing this year so far. From last year i would have said his weak points were attitude (rash challenges when he loses the ball), tackling (often gave up really easily or put in really feeble efforts), using his left leg (always looked afraid of using his left, was unable to even do Steve Finnans patented left foot floated cross) and at times going forward. He got way better towards the end but earlier in the season he kept shaping up as if he was gonna pull out a trick or a dummy and then just running straight into the man.

Thankfully all of these areas have improved considerably, with the slight exception of the rash challenges when he loses out sometimes. Absolutely delighted with the work hes put into his left leg, in the last game he put in a few very nice balls when on the left wing. great to see he's obviously working hard on the training ground. If he keeps up his form he'll be the best old fashioned crosser from the right in the premiership i think, though the competitors like SWP all add an extra dimension of getting in fast and direct. I like the balance we have now, Pennant is more of a by-line crosser, while Babel is more like SWP, happy to cut in, always looking for a shot and no fear of going around a player. Great that they can swap wings now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Don't know if anyone's seen this site Liverpool Translated but it's got some great translations of interviews with Torres and other Spanish-language stuff.

Torres on Liverpool training methods
    It’s different to what I was used to because at Liverpool we play more matches and we usually have to play midweek so the training is more aimed at recovering fitness and preparing for the next match. I wasn’t really used to this kind of training and it’s been somewhat surprising. It’s more individualized and we may only train as a group twice a week and the rest of the time is more player-specific.

On English refs and the attitude to cheating
    Yes I don’t really think the refs are better or worse but the players in English football are more honest, more pure and they don’t like cheating because even your own team-mates will get on your back. I’m sure if you were to win a match because you dived and won a penalty even your own team-mates would be mad at you. The like to win doing things the right way and the refs benefit from that. They know that unless the foul is really a foul is difficult for the players to go down, you’d almost have to kill them…so they allow a lot more contact.

On the fans ...
    I think they’re very respectful. They know when to approach you, they don’t come over when you’re having a meal or when you’re spending time with your family. They usually will wait until you’re done eating dinner even if they have to wait a long time or if you’re in the training ground and they want an autograph and you’re fifty meters outside they won’t ask. It’s different, they know how to separate the personal life from life at the training ground. There are always exceptions but in general that’s how they behave. Also, the Liverpool fans is a very enthusiastic one, they might say ‘come on’ and that’s it they don’t get on top of you or start following you.

And the dreaded English winter ...
    Well you never know, I’m not sure, we’ll see. That’s why I say there’s still a lot of time to go and be able to say I have adapted because everybody says that the winter is rough and difficult…right now for me I don’t think it will be a problem but we’ll see because at the end the important thing is to play football and that sort of weather is good for the matches, the state of the pitches and how we might approach a game.

Learning English from Steve Finnan!
    He's a good Irish boy, his English is perfect for me to practice with him. It's easier to understand than the Liverpool accent concerning Liverpool.

And his opinion of Stevie G
    He's the best player i've ever trained with in my whole life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Learn English with Jamie Carragher would not be a best-seller! Finnans clear southern English accent is much easier on the ear. ;)

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement