Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

the amount of trolls in this thread is unbelievable would yas **** off and go talk about your own teams for once what is with the obsession ye have with Liverpool FC or is it just because your bored writing to yourself in your own teams thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PSI- i recieved an infraction the other day for "spoiling a thread" i' love to know what the difference is to whats being posted here currently......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They don't like it up 'em!

From Channel 4
    Reports in the peninsula suggest that Roberto Mancini was involved in a bitter row with Inter fans at Liverpool Airport last night.

The Italian champions were left cursing their luck after Marco Materazzi’s harsh dismissal and two late Liverpool goals left their Champions League adventure hanging by a thread.

According to Tuttosport, tensions spilled over at Liverpool Airport when some of Inter’s angry travelling support exchanged insults with Coach Roberto Mancini.

Reports suggest that security staff were prepared to intervene as they feared a physical confrontation, but Mancio opted to walk away after a war of words.

Meanwhile, there are rumours that the squad is less than united after a night of frustration.

It has been reported that a journalist shouted, “What happened?” to Zlatan Ibrahimovic, to which the Swede angrily responded, “Why don’t you ask Materazzi?”

Despite their fiery personalities, Ibra and Materazzi have always enjoyed a close relationship at Inter and the possibility of a feud will be a worry to Mancini, who is set to call a team meeting later today to review last night’s defeat.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I love this. If Liverpool fans went into the United thread talking like they do in here we would all be banned. But of course, because they are all United buddies with a mod nothing is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Have you tried reporting posts that you think are trolling?

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    I love this. If Liverpool fans went into the United thread talking like they do in here we would all be banned. But of course, because they are all United buddies with a mod nothing is done.

Thats not nescessarily true Melion. In fact in regards to PHB, its not true at all, sure T4TF is a Liverpool fan and a mod.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Thats not nescessarily true Melion. In fact in regards to PHB, its not true at all, sure T4TF is a Liverpool fan and a mod.

Can you explain the lack of infractions/bans so? If we went in to the United thread spoiling it like they constantly do in this there would be none of us left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

because they are all United buddies with a mod nothing is done.
    Bit lol here. This is simply untrue, AND furthermore, you know it is.

The accusation about "other" fans having nothing done to them was bandied about long before the United Supporting Mod became the Mod here ffs.

Other Mods,

one is a Forest fan, one is a Liverpool fan, one is a Pats fan.

In fact, the Liverpool mod recently banned a ManYoo fan. TAKE THAT MANYOO FANS.

GTFO will you.

Can you explain the lack of infractions/bans so? If we went in to the United thread spoiling it like they constantly do in this there would be none of us left.
    Links to back that up then?

Go on, find them.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Actually.

HOW do you know there are no infractions on this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Just read this on the independant and i thought it was brilliant
    Torres, the spearhead of Liverpools 4-2-3-1 approach, was the main target of the clattering classes from San Siro, Degan Stankovic was first to polaxe the pacey Liverpool striker. Then came that tall assassin called Materazzi, a noted defensive bulwark but too prone to the dark arts to elicit any admiration.

If there is one player i hate its that gimp.
    Brilliant quote though

• Advertisement

is there Des? with your all seeing Mod eyes :)

DesF wrote: »
    Links to back that up then?

Go on, find them.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Actually.

HOW do you know there are no infractions on this thread?

What would you like links to? The United fans coming in here trolling? You can see them for yourself, why do you need me to point them out to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

jaysus lads, calm down

i havent noticed any trolling posts, but im not a pool fan so i suppose i wouldnt notice them like ye would. How many of ye have reported the posts in question?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    is there Des? with your all seeing Mod eyes :)
    I dunno :confused::D
    What would you like links to? The United fans coming in here trolling? You can see them for yourself, why do you need me to point them out to you?
    Links to back up your claims that Liverpool fans are oppressed in the ManYoo thread, or "would be if you did it". What proof have you to accuse the Mods of bias? It's a fairly serious accusation imo. Now either back it up, or stfu.

OH NOES THE PATZ M<OD OPRESSIZ ME.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Links to back up your claims that Liverpool fans are oppressed in the ManYoo thread, or "would be if you did it". What proof have you to accuse the Mods of bias? It's a fairly serious accusation imo. Now either back it up, or stfu.

OH NOES THE PATZ M<OD OPRESSIZ ME.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did you read what i said? I said IF we were to go in there tonight or tomorrow saying how rubbish the United performance was or giving out about their players, referee decisions, manager etc we would be facing a ban.

Im sorry, i dont understand the bit you have in capitals, my apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The thing here is we would not go on the Man Utd thread because Liverpool fans and not obsessed with Man Utd like Man Utd fans are obessed with Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont think its a case of any particularly trollish comments (though there are some pretty genuinely foolish ones, but hey, we're all guilty of that from time to time), its more that theres just a bombardment of negativity that stops any real enjoyment coming from what was a joyous night.

It just seems sometimes that every time Liverpool stumble (which they have a lot this season) theres a massive influx of posters who seem to wallow in it, and even last night after something good, theres a massive influx there to bring us down. Not trolling per say, just kinda poor form.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dont think its a case of any particularly trollish comments (though there are some pretty genuinely foolish ones, but hey, we're all guilty of that from time to time), its more that theres just a bombardment of negativity that stops any real enjoyment coming from what was a joyous night.

It just seems sometimes that every time Liverpool stumble (which they have a lot this season) theres a massive influx of posters who seem to wallow in it, and even last night after something good, theres a massive influx there to bring us down. Not trolling per say, just kinda poor form.

Maybe not trolling but certainly thread spoiling, something which i thought was against the rules.

Did you read what i said? I said IF we were to go in there tonight or tomorrow saying how rubbish the United performance was or giving out about their players, referee decisions, manager etc we would be facing a ban.
    IF my aunty had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Hypothetical doesn't cut it. Where is your answer to the fact that there IS a Liverpool supporting Mod. Is he in on the big conspiracy you have invented, or have the other mods tied him up somewhere?

WTF are you talking about?
    Im sorry, i dont understand the bit you have in capitals, my apologies.
    orly?
    Maybe not trolling but certainly thread spoiling, something which i thought was against the rules.
    report the posts you have a problem with, or stfu tbh.

Report the "troll" posts its very simple. As usual people say something u dont agree with so its automatically "trolling".

PS - U dont read the United thread much obviously. Mr Alan posts there more than almost anyone else with his "opinions" about how United arent all that great. Like I said to ya before, people on here get too precious, learn to take a bit of criticism/difference of opinion.

redzerdrog wrote:
    the amount of trolls in this thread is unbelievable would yas **** off and go talk about your own teams for once what is with the obsession ye have with Liverpool FC or is it just because your bored writing to yourself in your own teams thread.

I dont see "Liverpool Fan Love-In" as this thread title, meaning any fan of any club can come here and discuss their opinion on Liverpools play last night. But of course unless theyre sayin Liverpool played like the Harlem Globetrotters then theyre "trolling"?? Get off your high horse. If u dont like it go to a Liverpool supporters club forum where u only read what u want to hear and u are sheltered from the evil and mean people who dont think Liverpool are the best team in the universe. From the looks of your post u seem to get very upset by people not agreeing with you so maybe thats a good idea for you? Otherwise learn to accept that not everyone will agree with u and man up and take it teh right way instead of sprouting on about "trolling" when u really should be saying "difference of opinion".

Please enlighten me as to where all these "troll" posts came from, I simply see for the most part, a difference of opinion. Thats not trolling, thats stating an opinion. So go on if you must and post one or two lines from entire posts out of context to back up this argument but I really dont see much trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Aye he handled the cup real well last Saturday. He is a Europe manager. Full stop.

Nonsense to be honest.

There was very little different about that Liverpool performance last night and the majority of games they have drawn and lost this season. The only difference being getting the goals when they were needed that can only be described as fortunate (Kuyt's) or just plain random (Gerard's).

We simply lack sufficient quality upfront to take advantage of anything between 10 and 40 attempts on goal we get a match. Sometimes, all the pressure pays off and we force a goal and sometimes we don't. We don't so much carve a team open, more bludgen them into submission. We are putting away what seems like 1 in 10 chances when we should be putting away 1 in 5.

This goes back to what I have been saying for months. What seperates Liverpool from United and Arsenal is no more than 10 to 15 goals a season. Those goals can be achieved with the signing of 2 high quality wingers and a striker.

The core of the team is of sufficient quality to compete in any competition.

IF my aunty had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Hypothetical doesn't cut it. Where is your answer to the fact that there IS a Liverpool supporting Mod. Is he in on the big conspiracy you have invented, or have the other mods tied him up somewhere?

WTF are you talking about?

orly?

report the posts you have a problem with, or stfu tbh.

Im not here to tell the mods how to do their jobs, if they want to ban people let them away with it. I just dont agree with the non Liverpool supporting people coming in here to slate the club for absolutely no reason and nothing being done about it. How would you like if i went into an EL thread giving out about the state of the league, how shít your team is doing and how poorly managed they are when i know absolutely nothing about it.

I wont report posts for 3 reasons, i dont know how to, i dont see the point because i dont think anything would be done, im not childish enough to go crying to a mod.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The best bit is that fans in these forums on their respective threads consider any negative comments/disagreeing opinions to be trolling these days.

I'm man u and was one of the first to say "great result" for ye last night. I've had some negative opinions on the performance since - hardly makes me a troll does it?

If you think there should be an "Agree or Agree to Leave" policy on your priceless liverpool thread than you're on the wrong site Sir.

Report the "troll" posts its very simple. As usual people say something u dont agree with so its automatically "trolling".

PS - U dont read the United thread much obviously. Mr Alan posts there more than almost anyone else with his "opinions" about how United arent all that great. Like I said to ya before, people on here get too precious, learn to take a bit of criticism/difference of opinion.

I have no problem whatsoever with the decent posters in here who will come in, make a point and have no problem with a discussion being started on it. Its the idiots who show up for a few minutes, make a stupid post and then bugger off again. People like yourself and a few others i have no problem with because you seem to know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

you would call last night a big win? a game where Inter didn't really show up and handed the victory to you on a platter? are we talking about the same game? frankly, Liverpool achieved the bare minimum that would be expected of them all things considered.

Well take this post. Is is

a) Stupidity
    b) Lack of Footballing Knowledge or
    c) Trolling.

You decide

Like I said to ya before, people on here get too precious, learn to take a bit of criticism/difference of opinion.
    True.
    I just dont agree with the non Liverpool supporting people coming in here to slate the club for absolutely no reason and nothing being done about it.
    Oh boo-hoo.
    How would you like if i went into an EL thread giving out about the state of the league, how shít your team is doing and how poorly managed they are when i know absolutely nothing about it.
    I'd hate it, especially if you knew nothing about it.

Are you suggesting that the ONLY people who could possibly know anything about Liverpool, how they played in the last game, the manager and then goings-on at other levels are Liverpool fans?

Are you six?

Are you silly enough to think that other people can't read the same papers you do?
    I wont report posts for 3 reasons,
    If you won't report posts then you have no right to go shouting the odds about how the forum is running tbh.

If you have a problem you don't whinge about it on a thread, you report the posts. Simple.
    i dont know how to,
    Under everyone's name, every time they post there is a little symbol. A red triangle with a "!" inside it, black on a white background. This is the report post button. Click it, and you will see another screen where you enter the reason you are reporting the post. An email is then sent to the forum mod and they will either take action, or not. it's their call.
    i dont see the point because i dont think anything would be done,
    Why not try it, see what happens?
    im not childish enough to go crying to a mod.
    Oh the ironing.

That is exactly what you are doing here, only you are having a public tantrum to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I have no problem whatsoever with the decent posters in here who will come in, make a point and have no problem with a discussion being started on it. Its the idiots who show up for a few minutes, make a stupid post and then bugger off again. People like yourself and a few others i have no problem with because you seem to know what you're talking about.

It's really not your decision to decide who you do and don't have a problem with posting in here though. This is a thread about Liverpool, NOT a Liverpool supporters forum or thread.

Nonsense to be honest.

There was very little different about that Liverpool performance last night and the majority of games they have drawn and lost this season. The only difference being getting the goals when they were needed that can only be described as fortunate (Kuyt's) or just plain random (Gerard's).

We simply lack sufficient quality upfront to take advantage of anything between 10 and 40 attempts on goal we get a match. Sometimes, all the pressure pays off and we force a goal and sometimes we don't. We don't so much carve a team open, more bludgen them into submission. We are putting away what seems like 1 in 10 chances when we should be putting away 1 in 5.

This goes back to what I have been saying for months. What seperates Liverpool from United and Arsenal is no more than 10 to 15 goals a season. Those goals can be achieved with the signing of 2 high quality wingers and a striker.

I agree with some of what you're saying. But in a direct response to the other guy saying Benitez is a "Europe and Cups" manager I said he isn't. He is Europe if he is either of those.

But when it comes to the league I think there is more of a gap between Pool and Arse/Man U that you want to realise. Be it 10-15 goals short a season as you say, and that it would be fixed with one quality striker. The last two seasons have involved bringing in "a quality striker" to fix this problem. First it was Kuyt and now Torres. Both have come. And yet the gap has if anything widened. Torres is quality but without the service/support play has lacked what is required to provide a foundation for improvement.

How many more "quality strikers" are liverpool going to go through to find those 10 or 15 elusive goals that the teams above you seem to have no problem scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

We don't so much carve a team open, more bludgen them into submission.

I like that.......bludgen :D.
    I agree with you on getting 2 really good wingers, last night showed the lack of quality in crossing the ball. I think Crouch would benefit more from decent ball coming into him. I know he's not the greatest header of the ball put he almost always wins the ball in that situation, be it a knock down for someone or for one of his spectacular vollies ;).

• Advertisement

I agree with some of what you're saying. But in a direct response to the other guy saying Benitez is a "Europe and Cups" manager I said he isn't. He is Europe if he is either of those.

But when it comes to the league I think there is more of a gap between Pool and Arse/Man U that you want to realise. Be it 10-15 goals short a season as you say, and that it would be fixed with one quality striker. The last two seasons have involved bringing in "a quality striker" to fix this problem. First it was Kuyt and now Torres. Both have come. And yet the gap has if anything widened. Torres is quality but without the service/support play has lacked what is required to provide a foundation for improvement.

How many more "quality strikers" are liverpool going to go through to find those 10 or 15 elusive goals that the teams above you seem to have no problem scoring.

Kuyt was not exactly a top class striker when he joined in fairness.
    He is a hardworking grafter who got his fair share of goals in Holland but
    he was not exactly RVN. He was not a top quality striker he was a striker
    with a decent record in a second tier European League and @ 12m(roughly)
    he was the best Liverpool could afford at the time.
    Torres was twice the price and is twice the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Right.

I've had enough of this.

See that little triange on the right with the exclamation mark and the red border???

*that* and ONLY THAT, is what you use if you have a problem with a post.

In some instanced, if you want to PM a mod, feel free. If you're worried about a bias, neither kdjacl nor I support premiership teams.

Secondly, Melion, put that cross down. I've recently infracted a user on the united thread for threadspoiling. In fact, I've just banned them for trying to enter into discussion about it here. That is how little I am in the mood for this nonsense.

If you can't deal with criticism, a discussion board isn't for you.

On topic here, or so help me, there will be slaps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I have reported some posts on here in the past.

I was chastised by PHB for calling someone a 'troll' on this thread, he told me you're not allowed to do that, but that posts should be reported.

I reported two posts in one day, and I never heard back as to if any action was considered.

So basically, I have personally found the 'report a post' function to be totally useless on this thread.

p.s.
    One of the posts I reported was jank's : "The sun shines out of his spannish arse too!!!".
    That was the sum total of his contribution in that post. How the f**k does that belong in this thread
    if it is not blatant baiting and trolling?

The post is still there, hence my assumption that nothing was done about it despite me using
    the 'report post' function. Or are we to assume that supporters of other clubs can come on here
    and say stuff like that, without actually offering any proof that, for example, the light which supports
    all life on earth actually does emanate from the anus of the Liverpool manager?

IrishMike wrote: »
    Kuyt was not exactly a top class striker when he joined in fairness.
    He is a hardworking grafter who got his fair share of goals in Holland but
    he was not exactly RVN. He was not a top quality striker he was a striker
    with a decent record in a second tier European League and @ 12m(roughly)
    he was the best Liverpool could afford at the time.
    Torres was twice the price and is twice the player.

Didnt Villa go for less money than we paid for Kuyt?

My point also included 2 quality wingers to 1) supply the strikers 2) improve general quality and creativity of our play 3) add pace 4) contribute anything between 5 and 10 goals each per season.

Torres has been a success. I think he is slightly over hyped myself but there is no doubting he is a quality player. As the general quality of players around and the quality of supply into the front two improve, he and all our stikers will start to get more goals.

Hence, getting in another quality striker and 2 wingers should, in theory, provide more of a threat in front of goal and subsequently generate more goals. As things stand, we are generating enough attempts on goal but do not have the quality to stick them in the back of the net.

One situation I do not want occurring is an over dependence on 1 player for a massive proportion of our goals a season. I would prefer and feel that Rafa wants a fairly even distribution of goals throughout the whole team.

Villa joined Valencia a year after Liverpool bought Kuyt and at that point kuyt had a better scoring record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nonsense to be honest.

I agree with this. After the match last night I said i was happy with the performance for a number of reasons, one being that the team imposed themselves on the opposition rather then setting up their game to match the oppo. I got called on it from the POV that we didn't cut them open and found it hard to break through for the first 85mins and took a bit of luck/sheer persistance to get through.

That was half my point though, we saw finally exactly what the team CAN do and just as importantly what they Can't do. Noone could say any what if's for the performances if they were allowed to go for it and express themselves. They DID go out and show what they're about last night which is finally the real starting point we've needed. We've got the "bludgeon" that you mention (nice), now we need to add the finese of the 2 wingers and striker, which is what Chelsea did.

I want to see the team go all out like they did last night which would steamroller most opposition, but more importantly would get the core of the team doing the same thing over and over so when we add Quality (this summer hopefully) they can fit in and less acclimitisation is needed for the team as a whole. Torres showed his ability to be incisive, more of these in the attacking positions would make it much easier to open up a team, with more intelligent attacking movment in and around the defenders, much like arsenal do.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Villa joined Valencia a year after Liverpool bought Kuyt and at that point kuyt had a better scoring record.

No he didn't. Villa joined Valencia in summer 2005, a year BEFORE we bought Kuyt, and he was got for 2million less then Kuyt. Whats worst though, is that Rafa tried to buy Villa in 2004, but wasn't backed by the board.

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11669_47998,00.html
    http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11837_259161,00.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2004/11/03/sfnliv03.xml From 2004, Liverpool looking at "5million rated" villa.

STUPID PARRY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Guys, Guys, Guys, calm down, your missing the more important point, the bigger picture if you will
    mike65 wrote: »
    Useless fact for tonight - Inter are on 499 goals in all European competition while Liverpool are on 498!
    Mike.

The important thing is we are ahead 500-499 on aggregate now....wonder who would win if it was decided on away goals? :D:D:D:D:D

I agree about there being some idiots who come in to cause a fuss.When I first started posting here I got a bit carried away with myself on the old Pool thread (the one that got closed) and Im probably on a lot of peoples ignore list as a result. However I copped onto that quick enough and now I see no harm in stating an opinion as long as you're not solely trying to stir sh*t. But this happens in all the threads, not just Liverpool. The United thread recently saw some posters there try to nickname Ronaldo "v7per" which imo is ridiculous, but thats them having their fun. There were fans in there from other clubs causing fuss about that too and ruinin their enjoyment of their little in joke. Uniteds thread gets a huge amount of people havin the "who dives more - Gerrard or Ronaldo" argument etc etc so theres a lot of crap on both threads imo. Its part and parcel of posting here imo that people will have conflicting opinion, such is the nature of the beast. I just think that some posters here, and in the United thread, and the EL thread, and the SPL thread etc, need to take differences of opinion a bit better before throwing out the "troll" accusation.

As for positive/negative comments, well I think the reason we're construed as negative is that beyond sayin fair play (which i did) there was no need to say anythin else positive as all of the positives were addressed 100 times over by the Pool fans. I simply stated that from what i saw there were a few limitations in the attacking side of the play.

Ive plenty of good things to say about Pool. Pool are a well organised team, with some quality wingers and a bit more adventure from the manager they could be a free scoring side for sure. Would that be at the cost of goals at the other end? Perhaps. As for the league problem, I genuinely think that this is due to Rafa literally only havin eyes for Europe. its been said before, but I really believe that to be true. Im not 100% sure if he has the English game figured out tactically or not but I have no doubt that if Pool were eliminated in the group stages of the CL this year, there would be no debate over who's gonna come fourth.

I think most of the "trolling" nonsense comes from people blind desire to defend their team/players regardless fo whether theyre talkin crap in doing so or not. And that goes for fans of all clubs in here, no exceptions.

Quoting the post below me:
    The problem is that half of the people that have been accussed of throlling in this thread are incapable of making a point in anything other than an antagonistic fashion. Whether this boils down to a general lack of social skills or immaturity or something else is anyones guess. Either way, quite a few should grow up or just stop contributing as they are majorly takying the sheen off what is generally a great forum.

That may be true but the same goes for those that are doing the accusing. People in here just need to mellow out!!

EDIT: Sorry PSI, I was writing this when u posted your "end of discussion" post so Ill leave it at that which I was gonna do anyway.

The problem is that half of the people that have been accussed of throlling in this thread are incapable of making a point in anything other than an antagonistic fashion. Whether this boils down to a general lack of social skills or immaturity or something else is anyones guess. Either way, quite a few should grow up or just stop contributing as they are majorly takying the sheen off what is generally a great forum.

i agree with that but it doesnt need to come from a new striker

if you look at goals from other parts of the pitch

Goals from Defenders:

Liverpool: 1
    Chelsea: 4
    Arsenal: 6
    United: 3

Goals from Midfielders:

Liverpool: 16 (i include babel here)
    Chelsea: 17
    Arsenal: 19
    United: 25

Goals From forwards

Liverpool: 20 (incl Voronin)
    Arsenal: 29
    united: 21

As you can see, its not the forwards they really need to catch, they need to improve the return from midfield and the defense. This can often be the difference in winning a league

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I agree with this. After the match last night I said i was happy with the performance for a number of reasons, one being that the team imposed themselves on the opposition rather then setting up their game to match the oppo. I got called on it from the POV that we didn't cut them open and found it hard to break through for the first 85mins and took a bit of luck/sheer persistance to get through.

That was half my point though, we saw finally exactly what the team CAN do and just as importantly what they Can't do. Noone could say any what if's for the performances if they were allowed to go for it and express themselves. They DID go out and show what they're about last night which is finally the real starting point we've needed. We've got the "bludgeon" that you mention (nice), now we need to add the finese of the 2 wingers and striker, which is what Chelsea did.

I want to see the team go all out like they did last night which would steamroller most opposition, but more importantly would get the core of the team doing the same thing over and over so when we add Quality (this summer hopefully) they can fit in and less acclimitisation is needed for the team as a whole. Torres showed his ability to be incisive, more of these in the attacking positions would make it much easier to open up a team, with more intelligent attacking movment in and around the defenders, much like arsenal do.

No he didn't. Villa joined Valencia in summer 2005, a year BEFORE we bought Kuyt, and he was got for 2million less then Kuyt. Whats worst though, is that Rafa tried to buy Villa in 2004, but wasn't backed by the board.

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11669_47998,00.html
    http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11837_259161,00.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2004/11/03/sfnliv03.xml From 2004, Liverpool looking at "5million rated" villa.

STUPID PARRY!

Apologies Rebel thats what i meant to post!
    Damn dyslexic fingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gucci -

Those numbers are wrong! :o I did'nt spot that they were compiled up to Nov 07th last, the figures are now Liverpool 516 and Inter 507

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,301 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you would call last night a big win? a game where Inter didn't really show up and handed the victory to you on a platter? are we talking about the same game? frankly, Liverpool achieved the bare minimum that would be expected of them all things considered.

yes i would, we beat the team that is running away with serie a in the last 16 of the champions league, what would you call it

this is just taking the piss to be honest

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

No, it's more of a problem than that. It is people coming on here and antagonising by rehashing old arguments that have already been done to death (either proven right, wrong, or stalemate agree to disagree).

* Rafa has spent XXX amount since joining Liverpool
    * Rafa does not know what it takes to win the Premier League
    * Rafa only cares about the Champions League and that is an OBVIOUS FACT
    * Gerrard is not world class
    * Liverpool only have X number of players who would make it into Chelsea/Arsenal/United squad
    * etc., etc., etc.

Maybe I have blinkered memories, but I don't remember the 'old' thread being this bad. I used to love coming on here because it was a great place to get all the latest news, rumours, and a bit of banter/discussion about the last match and previews of the next.

Now when I come on I expect to see plenty of what I would consider baiting and trolling, but worse still, rehashing of old arguments that have already been dealt with pages back. It is getting incredibly annoying.

There are obviously some exceptions... PHB most notably, who post well and provoke reasoned debate.

event wrote: »
    i agree with that but it doesnt need to come from a new striker

if you look at goals from other parts of the pitch

Goals from Defenders:

Liverpool: 1
    Chelsea: 4
    Arsenal: 6
    United: 3

Goals from Midfielders:

Liverpool: 16 (i include babel here)
    Arsenal: 19
    United: 25

Goals From forwards

Liverpool: 20 (incl Voronin)
    Arsenal: 29
    united: 21

As you can see, its not the forwards they really need to catch, they need to improve the return from midfield and the defense. This can often be the difference in winning a league

This is where i think Agger being missing and Riise being in a shocking run of form has really cost us. Surely they are worth 10 goals between them in a season when both on form. And Alonso fully fit and playing every game would be worth an extra 5 goals a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

spockety wrote: »
    No, it's more of a problem than that. It is people coming on here and antagonising by rehashing old arguments that have already been done to death (either proven right, wrong, or stalemate agree to disagree).

* Rafa has spent XXX amount since joining Liverpool
    * Rafa does not know what it takes to win the Premier League
    * Rafa only cares about the Champions League and that is an OBVIOUS FACT
    * Gerrard is not world class
    * Liverpool only have X number of players who would make it into Chelsea/Arsenal/United squad
    * etc., etc., etc.

Maybe I have blinkered memories, but I don't remember the 'old' thread being this bad. I used to love coming on here because it was a great place to get all the latest news, rumours, and a bit of banter/discussion about the last match and previews of the next.

Now when I come on I expect to see plenty of what I would consider baiting and trolling, but worse still, rehashing of old arguments that have already been dealt with pages back. It is getting incredibly annoying.

There are obviously some exceptions... PHB most notably, who post well and provoke reasoned debate.
    +1

Roll on the league game

This is where i think Agger being missing and Riise being in a shocking run of form has really cost us. Surely they are worth 10 goals between them in a season when both on form. And Alonso fully fit and playing every game would be worth an extra 5 goals a season.

well i dunno about 10, but they'd get a few. Its scandalous that only Sami has scored this year from defenders, thats awful.

and alonso has never scored more that 4 in the league for ye, he has 2 already.
    but the others should be pitching in, pennant needs to get in on it and finnan too.

maybe it comes down to set pieces, does anyone know how many liverpool have scored from directly this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

pennant needs to get in on it and finnan too.
    don't expect that to happen anytime soon - to date they've each only gotten a single goal for the first team.

My point also included 2 quality wingers to 1) supply the strikers 2) improve general quality and creativity of our play 3) add pace 4) contribute anything between 5 and 10 goals each per season.

Couldn't agree more. Having watched the game last night as seen crosses and corners and free kicks either hitting the first defender or sailing over the lot and out of play I agree you're wings are lacking.

Same can be said for your centre midfield pouring into the box. Gerrard's other decent contribution on the night included a lovely one-two and a typical driving run into the box. He crossed and there was no one near it. I anticipated that move from my couch at home. None of your other midfielders could do the same to be on the end of the square ball.

Liverpool seem to have most of a front line (was impressed with crouch last night even though I believe he encourages long-ball play) and their rear-guard is proven too - even with long-term injuries.

Its your attacking midfield that needs work IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

maybe it comes down to set pieces, does anyone know how many liverpool have scored from directly this year?

I'd hazzard a guess thats its very low. Liverpool are appalling at set pieces. Corners especially. Everytime I see Gerrard take a corner it wrecks my head. He is one of the best finishers/striker of a ball we have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement