Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yom 1 wrote: »
    I'd hazzard a guess thats its very low. Liverpool are appalling at set pieces. Corners especially. Everytime I see Gerrard take a corner it wrecks my head. He is one of the best finishers/striker of a ball we have.

totally agree. how many times have i seen tossi in the box waiting on a gerrard cross, when it should obviously be the other way around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Thats the thing. Our 2 best crossers are Pennant and Yossi and both are on the bench, the 2 of them are great crossers of a ball but just cant get in the starting XI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Honestly, the amount of "professional" players who can't beat the first man with a corner/cross/free kick is absolutely shocking.

If I was a manager of a team that was getting paid, I'd fine these players on a regular basis.

I give my own players a bollocking for not doing it. It's a simple thing to do, surely? WTF do they be trying to do?

It sickens me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

DesF wrote: »
    Honestly, the amount of "professional" players who can't beat the first man with a corner/cross/free kick is absolutely shocking.

If I was a manager of a team that was getting paid, I'd fine these players on a regular basis.

I give my own players a bollocking for not doing it. It's a simple thing to do, surely? WTF do they be trying to do?

It sickens me.

aye, ive stopped giving out to my local team, when i see lads on £100,000 p/w not able to do it, i dont mind as much

its scandalous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

It sickens me.

Completely agree Desf.
    Amateur GAA players who train 3 times a week for 2 hours can put passes 80
    yards into each others hands yet soccer players training twice a day and
    being paid millions a year cant kick an accurate cross 25 years.
    Absolutly mindblowing.
    How hard is it to make a yard of space and cross the ball roughly near the
    penalty spot ffs? You dont have to put it on a sixpence, anywhere in a 5
    yard radius will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

CHARTER UPDATE

Regarding Superthreads

Please read and be familiar everyone.

event wrote: »
    aye, ive stopped giving out to my local team, when i see lads on £100,000 p/w not able to do it, i dont mind as much

its scandalous

Add foul throws to that. United had 2 foul throws against City. Ridiculous stuff when professional footballers dont do the very basic things right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Add foul throws to that. United had 2 foul throws against City. Ridiculous stuff when professional footballers dont do the very basic things right.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did the ref do them for it?

Jaysis, foul throws are the bane of my life as manager of Boardeaux. Seriously people. Two feet on the ground, ball thrown from behind the head.

How hard is it?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i too get mad when i see stevie taking corners for 2 reasons
    1) he wastes too many
    2) he'd score a few if he was in or around the area

im shocked at the lack of goals for defenders..thats more than a third of the team. but worse still is midfield where without gerrard there would be very few...look at kewell,pennant, masc,lucas.they dont contribute enough for the games they get.

i think alonso back in the middle will have two very possitive effects
    1) he'll create more clear chances for others especially torres
    2)he can actually get a shot on target!

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did the ref do them for it?

Jaysis, foul throws are the bane of my life as manager of Boardeaux. Seriously people. Two feet on the ground, ball thrown from behind the head.

How hard is it?:mad:

Yep, Anderson basketball threw the ball back in and the other was Nani, i dont remember that one so well. Both got penalised, and rightly so.

It is astonishing these guys getting paid 50 grand a week and making basic errors. Thats like a bus driver forgetting how to drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

prendy wrote: »
    im shocked at the lack of goals for defenders..thats more than a third of the team. but worse still is midfield where without gerrard there would be very few...look at kewell,pennant, masc,lucas.they dont contribute enough for the games they get.

Well the fact the defenders aren't getting goals, would be down to our failures at set pieces. Sami is up for all corners and the deliveries as we know are poor. Riise's boots haven't been on fire for.....I can't remember.
    Kewell/Pennant, imo are not good enough.
    I wouldn't expect Mascherano to get much goals, his job is to clean up and fill those gaps in the middle of the field when we are pushing forward, which he's being doing brilliantly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Another one is when the corner taker swings it too wide and it goes for a goal kick before it even enters the box.

I'd be pissed as a centre half who just jogged 70 odd yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Someone, either a senior member or Rafa needs to stand up and be counted and nominate someone to take the corners.

I remember when we lost against Utd (John O Shea goal), we had something like 14 corners they had three and they won.

I mean for god's sake its plane as day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Gerrards poor corner taking ability is always something that has baffled me alright.... Why the hell is he still taking them???

Has Rafa not noticed that he is crap at them? He rarely beats the first man....

It should be Babel or someone like that taking them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Of course. This explains everything

EVERYONE at Liverpool will be in the dock soon.

The charge? Perpetrating the biggest fraud since Salif Diao wrote “occupation: footballer” on his tax return.

They’re all in on it. The manager, the players, the life president, the chief executive — even the fans.

If it weren’t for the legal and financial might of Dubai, prosecutors would probably be trying to drag the sheikh in too, as a co-conspirator.

It’s an extremely elaborate hoax, fashioned late last year in a dark room in the darkest recesses of Anfield.

Its purpose: to separate two Americans from their goldmine.

It’s actually an intriguing twist on an old con; usually dumb colonials are fooled into paying fortunes for something that’s actually worthless.

Remember the gimp that bought London Bridge, thinking it was Tower Bridge? Think about it. We’d sold the club to the wrong people, that was obvious. So how to get it back? Simple; make them think they’ve bought the wrong club.

A manager out of his depth. Greedy, disinterested footballers. Demonstrations of fan discontent. Embarrassing results against lower opposition. Tabloid manna from heaven.

It’s crystal clear; we’re trying to trick Hicks and Gillett into thinking they’ve bought Newcastle.

It’s so obvious I feel stupid for not solving it before. It might have saved me two months of mania and heartache. How could I have ever doubted them? Our finishing couldn’t be that bad. We couldn’t possibly be this disjointed under the most methodical manager of the era. We would never have a rotation policy that makes you think a blindfold and pin is somehow involved.

We wouldn’t allow Titus Bramble to score at Anfield to help Wigan get a point. Two goals in three minutes for Villa, a draw at Luton, a non-league team in the lead at Anfield (twice), a Championship side with an atrocious away record coming from behind to win. It’s not possible.

Remember Carragher’s uncharacteristic lunges that gave away crucial penalties at Reading and West Ham? When it begins to look a shade too obvious, we throw them off the scent.

Even those idiots would have caught on if we’d not beaten Derby County, but we left it late for added drama and made it look like a fluke.

I only hope Saturday wasn’t too blatant. Losing to Barnsley might tip off even the dimmest billionaire.

But it’s the manager who deserves the bravos and encores. It’s been an astonishing portrayal of a man drowning in his own vacuity; babbling about controlling games and missed chances, with a side-order dollop of glutinous sentiment for the wonderful, wonderful fans as a bonus. Rafa really should do King Lear one day.

We fans have done our bit too. Protesting, marching, petitioning, booing the final whistle, staying after games to howl our disapproval, whining to anyone with a TV camera.

We’ve drawn the line at exposing our fat guts to the elements and leaving huge empty spaces in the stands with minutes to go. You don’t want to overplay your hand.

I especially enjoyed the way we made Barnsley’s keeper look world class. Every shot was tricky but not impossible to stop, and handing Kuyt the goal after months of nothing was a subtle touch. Hyypia tried to give them the late penalty but we forgot refs are ingrained into giving the big four everything.

A slight glitch in the plan, but we allowed them a free shot on the area’s edge and all resolved itself.

This elaborate plot is almost played out. With our club rapidly turning into a catastrophic mess, not worth a big fat zero to anyone, the Americans will as they say “haul ass” soon, begging the Arabs to take this ramshackle, crumbling edifice off their grubby tremulous hands.

Once we’re saved, what a transformation you’ll see. Inch-perfect passing, shots flying into top corners, the best XI appearing weekly and leaving the field dripping with sweat after 90 minutes of ferocious endeavour.

Minnows swatted with consummate ease while United and co will be battered to a twitching pulp instead of being meekly offered the points.

Get your money on the Reds for the grand slam of 2009. It’s the safest bet in town.

Trust me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

did any of you here what souness just said?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

mayordenis wrote: »

yeah. the 1 good thing he did for us. never rated cantona myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

No, you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

No, you ?

Posted in Champions League thread
    Souness just said on SkySports that in 1992 when he was managing Liverpool after a Europe game in Auxerre Platini knocked on his dressing room door and offered him a player that was having some troubles in the domestic French game. Souness declined because he was having troubles of his own and the last thing he needed was another potential disruptive influence. The player....

ERIC CANTONA:eek:....Oh, what might have been for liverpool fans:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yeah we could have been an even more fractured club ;)

• Advertisement

Its offical souness is the worst manager ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

It sickens me.
    I wonder is this because players are fitter than ever before, so it's eaiser for the defender to get goal side? Years ago when players were not as fit it might have been easier for the winger to get past the defender. So I think the problem may be more with the decision making - they try to cross when the defender is right in front of them - what's the point? Finnan does this a lot. Obvioulsy corners are a different story - not eing bale to take one of these is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Was alst night Rafa's 'Mark Robbins' game?

IMO saturday will tell. I think it's a massive game for us. Will tell us about attitude, belief etc. If they control the game, take their chances and have a killer instinct I'll start to get hopeful. 3-0 or better or I'll be gutted that last night was a false dawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Are you only hearing that now.

Liverpool also turned down C Ronaldo before he sign from unired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

and so did Arsenal and so did probably every big club

same probably happened with Cantona, he must have being offered to an awful lot of clubs and rejected, if he ended up at leeds

Souness learned his lesson though and signed George Weahs cousin as soon as he realised who's cousin he was.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

like theres always stories like this but to hear souness say that he was offered to him personally and he said no, so flipantly, is pretty ****in sickening.

I assume Eamon will slaughter Arsenal for drawing at home to AC Milan. They are miles behind that 'crap' team Inter Milan in that 'nothing league', Serie A
    Hmmmmmm, somehow i doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

and so did Arsenal and so did probably every big club

same probably happened with Cantona, he must have being offered to an awful lot of clubs and rejected, if he ended up at leeds

Souness learned his lesson though and signed George Weahs cousin as soon as he realised who's cousin he was.

haha quality post!!
    im sure he was watching the first 80 minutes of the Man Utd match last night feeling quite justified for paying £8million for Jean Alain Boumsong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

monkey9 wrote: »
    I assume Eamon will slaughter Arsenal for drawing at home to AC Milan. They are miles behind that 'crap' team Inter Milan in that 'nothing league', Serie A
    Hmmmmmm, somehow i doubt it

Last season I don't think he said a bad thing about Arsenal, this year he has sometimes.

So the year Arsenal finished 4th, miles behind the champions, and out of every competition by February, he just praised them and slaughtered the other top 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

like theres always stories like this but to hear souness say that he was offered to him personally and he said no, so flipantly, is pretty ****in sickening.

Why? There were many, many good reasons not to sign Cantona at that time. He had a reputation for being indisciplined and unreliable with much inconsistency in terms of the end product.

As a poster said above, there was a reason why he was at Leeds to begin with.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Why? There were many, many good reasons not to sign Cantona at that time. He had a reputation for being indisciplined and unreliable with much inconsistency in terms of the end product.

As a poster said above, there was a reason why he was at Leeds to begin with.

Well i personally will cling to any further reason to despise the man to be honest.
    Granted Cantona would probably not have been half the player he was
    for United if he had went to any other club due to a number of reasons.
    That is still not going to stop me holding it against Souness though ;)

Does anyone remember Istvan Kozma? A hungarian player who Souness signed around 92. Jebus, he was bad. And also Torben Piechnik. I think the worst player he ever signed (and there's many.....Jimmy Carter etc) was Paul Stewart. I hated him with a passion. He was so bad for that club i honestly thought someone was playing a sick joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I remember that Carter dude, but yeah he brought in some beauts alright, Mark Walters, springs to mind.

He did give us Rob Jones and am almost sure he gave Fowler his debut. Still can't forgive the man tho'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Benzema does look quite good indeed. One moment of magic.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Granted Cantona would probably not have been half the player he was
    for United if he had went to any other club due to a number of reasons.
    Of course there was the reason he had to leave leeds as well for using his french charm to pull a team mates girlfriend.....
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Istvan Kozma? A hungarian player who Souness signed around 92. Jebus, he was bad. And also Torben Piechnik. I think the worst player he ever signed (and there's many.....Jimmy Carter etc) was Paul Stewart. I hated him with a passion. He was so bad for that club i honestly thought someone was playing a sick joke.

Torben Piechnik....dear god i had nearly forgotten about him, i was only a young lad when i seen him play......shocking!!

in fairness he always looked after his mates when he got a new job, bringing dean saunders and a few of those to benfica for a nice sun holiday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Avram the Rotator or Franky pissed off.

Mike.

for all the lads saying that cantona was at leeds for a reason, we were actually league champions at the time. perhaps thats why he was there, ye know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

ben arfa and benzema would be a great addition to the pool in my opinion

stick-dan wrote: »
    ben arfa and benzema would be a great addition to the pool in my opinion

Yea I liked the look of Ben Arfa, very quick feet. Exactly what we need.
    Benzema's goal was class. Really Class.

If we sell off some of the sh!te in the club we're bound to get 20 mill and maybe get one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

If we sell off some of the sh!te in the club we're bound to get 20 mill and mabye get one of them.
    Why would other clubs pay big money for players you've just dismissed as rubbish? Assuming you're talking about Riise, Kewell, Kuyt and Voronin for example, Riise and Kewell are near the end of their contracts, Hyypia has probably got one more season before retirement, Kuyt wouldn't fetch anywhere near the £10m we paid and we would probably have pay someone to take the Voronator off our hands ;).
    We'd probably get some cash back from the young lads on loan though (Guthrie, Anderson etc.).

for all the lads saying that cantona was at leeds for a reason, we were actually league champions at the time. perhaps thats why he was there, ye know?

How could that be the reason he joined Leeds? did he not join and then Leeds went on to win the league? (Correct me if I am wrong there?)

Ben Arfa looked a bit callow to me, I could see him getting chewed up in the Prem, whereas Benzema is very solid, physically speaking and has a quick pace. I'd go for him except he is only interested in Spain it seems.

Carra has a subtle pop at Rafa
    There is just something about us that we are always confident in Europe," said Carragher. "We fielded our main players as well, which makes a difference, and the sending-off did help us."

Obviously not much to write home about in itself but allied to other comments he has made it seems the most Scousy Scouse left at Liverpool feels the boss needs a few prompts! And its not like he's "rent-a-quote" either.

Mike.

gucci wrote: »
    How could that be the reason he joined Leeds? did he not join and then Leeds went on to win the league? (Correct me if I am wrong there?)

tbh, not really

IIRC, he scored 6 league goals. I think just one resulted in a win. He wasnt a key as people made out, though he did score a stunning hat trick against liverpool in the charity chield

tbh, not really

IIRC, he scored 6 league goals. I think just one resulted in a win. He wasnt a key as people made out, though he did score a stunning hat trick against liverpool in the charity chield

So Leeds more or less won the league without him? I was only 8 at the time so my knowledge wouldnt be too sharp!!

Just looked him up on wikipedia apparently Gerard Houllier advised him to move to england too :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mike65 wrote: »
    Ben Arfa looked a bit callow to me, I could see him getting chewed up in the Prem, whereas Benzema is very solid, physically speaking and has a quick pace. I'd go for him except he is only interested in Spain it seems.

Carra has a subtle pop at Rafa

Obviously not much to write home about in itself but allied to other comments he has made it seems the most Scousy Scouse left at Liverpool feels the boss needs a few prompts! And its not like he's "rent-a-quote" either.

Mike.

Didnt he also say that Rafa has made the biggest impression on his career...or has improved him more than any other manager. Something like that anyway. It was after the Inter game.

• Advertisement

That must have been the sweet to disguise the sour ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tbh, not really

Yes but he still signed before you won the league did he not? You made it sound like he came to England to join the champions.

malice_ wrote: »
    Why would other clubs pay big money for players you've just dismissed as rubbish? Assuming you're talking about Riise, Kewell, Kuyt and Voronin for example, Riise and Kewell are near the end of their contracts, Hyypia has probably got one more season before retirement, Kuyt wouldn't fetch anywhere near the £10m we paid and we would probably have pay someone to take the Voronator off our hands ;).

Say we sell the following:
    Kyut
    Pennant
    Voronin
    Rise

I'm sure we'd get 20 million for them. Kewell's out of contract.
    malice_ wrote: »
    We'd probably get some cash back from the young lads on loan though (Guthrie, Anderson etc.).

There is no way in hell I want to see either of them sold. Especially Anderson, he's **** hot

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Say we sell the following:
    Kyut
    Pennant
    Voronin
    Rise
    I'm sure we'd get 20 million for them. Kewell's out of contract.

I'm not sure that's realistic.

None of the big spenders will come in for any of those players, they will be moving downwards, not cross ways or upwards.

Kuyt - 6.5m (remember, he is no longer a Dutch international)
    Voronin - 1.5m
    Pennant - 3.5m
    Riise - 3.5m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

I'm not sure that's realistic.

None of the big spenders will come in for any of those players, they will be moving downwards, not cross ways or upwards.

Kuyt - 6.5m (remember, he is no longer a Dutch international)
    Voronin - 1.5m
    Pennant - 3.5m
    Riise - 3.5m

thats even optimistic...
    voronin who we bought free has been crap...whos gonna pay 1.5m for him????

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement