Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stekelly wrote: »
    Is i not against your principals?Surely theres a "local" game on down the park? :)

Dude, it's February. Most of the Corpo pitches round my way are unplayable.

Anyway.

I spend Tuesday evenings freezing my tits off with Boardeaux, come March 7th I'll be spending my Friday evenings freezing my tits off at eL games.

Although, I didn't realise it was Boro. Maybe I will take the cold option after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jimmy Rice 22 February 2008

Seven months ago Brazilian ace Lucas Leiva arrived at Anfield ready for the biggest challenge of his career – to break into 'the best midfield in the world'.
    Though new boss Rafa Benitez insisted he'd signed a player for now as well as the future, the Kop didn't expect to see too much of the former Gremio man in his debut season.

But much has changed in the red half of Merseyside since July. For a start, 'the best midfield in the world' is no more following the departure to Juventus of Momo Sissoko.

The Kop has yet to devise a song in its place, but after four successive starts against the likes of Chelsea and Inter Milan, it's only a matter of time before the new kid on the block is incorporated into their repertoire.

Not that Lucas is getting carried away. One of the famous quartet may have gone, he says, but when the other three are Xabi Alonso, Steven Gerrard and Javier Mascherano, you cannot afford to rest on your laurels.

"I have to keep working hard if I want to stay in the team," said the 21-year-old. "There are so many good players at Liverpool, particularly in the position that I play, that if I was to stop working and doing the right things to improve, I'm sure I would lose my place.

"I think the manager trusts me and has confidence in me though and I am just trying to keep on working hard and learning."

Shortly before his arrival in England, Lucas became the youngest player ever to win the Bola de Ouro. The honour is given to the best player in the Campeonato Brasileiro and has previously been won by Zico, Romario, Kaka and Carlos Tevez.

His time at Gremio also saw him named captain of Brazil Under-20s, who he led to the South American Youth Championships title.

Despite all this, the youngster is well aware that his football education is ongoing – and he's grateful that his classmates now include some of European football's most prized assets.

"We have a lot of good midfielders at Liverpool and I am learning a lot from them," said Lucas.

"I think Steven is one of the best players in the world, so I watch him a lot to see the way he plays and the movements he makes.

"Javier Mascherano and Xabi Alonso are different kinds of players to Steven but they are also very, very good players and it is good to be able to work alongside them."

On Tuesday night, Lucas played with Mascherano in a reshaped Liverpool midfield. It was his first taste of a big European night at Anfield – and it left him thirsty for more.

He said: "I enjoyed it because it was a good result and we played very well.

"We'd had a difficult week after being knocked out of the FA Cup by Barnsley and we knew we had to deliver a big performance - and we did.

"The atmosphere the supporters created was beautiful. The crowd was fantastic and it was great for me to play in such an atmosphere.

"But now we must concentrate on finishing the job in Milan because we know that it will be tough when we play Inter in the San Siro.

"For me, the Champions League is the most important competition in the world and it would be fantastic if we could do well in it again, because Liverpool have a wonderful history in it.

"Liverpool is one of the top five clubs in the world, so we should always be looking to do well in every competition we are in at home and abroad."

With the trip to Italy three weeks away, attentions now turn to the race for fourth, starting with the visit of Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The fixture will bring a few familiar faces to Anfield.

Lucas explained: "Yes, I know Alfonso Alves and Fabio Rochemback well because they are both Brazilians and I know that they are both good players.

"Alves has scored a lot of goals and Rochemback is a creative player who can cause problems, so we will have to keep an eye on them.

"It will not be an easy game because Middlesbrough have had some good results lately, so we will have to make sure we play well.

"We know we need to be in the top four because we need to be in the Champions League next season, and we are three points behind Everton at the moment.

"So, we have to close that gap but we have the confidence that we can do so, especially after beating Inter Milan."

Ryan Babel has taken to studying some of his Liverpool teammates in a bid to prove an Anfield success.
    Watch the full 10-minute interview now>>

The 21-year-old winger, who has impressed during three successive starts, admits he's been watching how some of the club's more experienced stars play the game.

"I watch the other lads who've played for Liverpool for a few years and they help me a lot," Babel told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"Even Steven Gerrard learns a lot every day. I am just at the beginning of my career so it's only logical to say I am still learning."

The Dutch international admits seven months spent under the tutelage of Rafa Benitez at Melwood have helped him grow as a footballer.

"We talk a lot about different things, not just about how to improve my game but also how to improve the play of the team," he revealed. "Tactically, defensively and offensively. I can definitely improve."

Babel's bid to build a new life here on Merseyside has been aided no end by countryman Dirk Kuyt, who himself hasn't enjoyed the easiest of times these last few months.

Without a goal since early December, Kuyt suffered the indignity of having to watch the bulk of his teammates leave for international duty earlier this month having been omitted from the latest Holland squad.

It's a run of luck which has only this week been reversed with goals against Barnsley and Inter, the latter coming at the Kop end just when it seemed Liverpool were going to have to settle for a draw.

For Babel, these goals were just deserts for a work ethic which is second to none.

He said: "I was very pleased. It was very good for him to score a goal like that and it will give him a lot of confidence. I am very pleased for him because he works very hard every day and it's finally paid off. Maybe it will take the pressure off him now."

So, does Kuyt have what it takes to get back into van Basten's squad in time for this summer's European Championships?

According to Babel, it's a no-brainer.

"Dirk shouldn't be too worried I don't think," he said.

It was Kuyt's goal which helped set in motion an impressive 2-0 victory over a team 11 points clear in Serie A on Tuesday.

While the goalscorer himself admitted afterwards that he would have been tempted to settle for 1-0, Babel has echoed comments by the club captain that Liverpool were most definitely in the hunt for a second.

He said: "Yes, we were going for it. The manager tried to tell all the players to keep going on and try for the second. He was telling us to attack and I think Stevie was taking the lead in that.

"At the end you think back and maybe I was a bit worried it was going to be a draw but finally Dirk scored the first goal. Then Inter were very disappointed and I think it made it easier for Stevie to go and get the second."

It was a result Babel admits may have surprised some on the continent – including one or two back in his homeland.

"When I spoke to people in Holland before the game they thought Inter were already through, that they would be big winners against Liverpool," explained the former Ajax ace.

"I told them that we had a very good chance. I think they were surprised with how we played. Maybe they'll now look at the fact Inter were playing much of the game with 10 men as an excuse but I don't think that was it.

"We were having enough chances to win the game even when it was 11 versus 11. We started very well and Inter were pegged back to their own box a little bit. We kept the pressure on them. I think we would have had a good chance even without the sending off."

With four league games before the second leg, attentions now turn to domestic matters and the race for fourth.

Babel, who has seven goals in 35 appearances so far this season, admits it takes a strong mentality to find the same motivation for Middlesbrough as for Inter Milan.

He said: "It was a wonderful night and very exciting. It's wonderful to play in front of that crowd. They were amazing on the night from the beginning to the end.

"It is a switch now to play against Middlesbrough. You have focused your week on Inter. We got a good result and everybody is happy, so you do have to switch. You have to get back up and get on with the league. Sometimes it can be difficult but we are professional enough to do this.

"If we play with the same aggressiveness I think we will make it very difficult for Middlesbrough to perform. If we play the same again then we have a chance to score a lot of goals."

Babel, who'll come up against his good friend George Boeteng on Saturday, insists he is well aware of how tough clinching fourth spot is going to be, with Man City, Aston Villa and Merseyside rivals Everton all circling.

"It's going to be hard, of course," he said. "But we will try to win every game now. Everybody knows the situation and everybody has to work really hard now to make sure we get fourth."

The Liverpool match is defo on Setanta tomorrow. 3pm kick off. I remember when watching the Villa game, they advertised upcoming games and tomorrow's one was on of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mike65 wrote: »
    Doh edit you are right, the above is todays listing (which you posted Rigger!)

Mike.

muahhaha :p
    monkey9 wrote: »
    The Liverpool match is defo on Setanta tomorrow. 3pm kick off. I remember when watching the Villa game, they advertised upcoming games and tomorrow's one was on of them

\o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ad in the paper today as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

monkey9 - not having a go at you but any chance of just posting links to the articles rather than the entire article ? Alot of us will have read them already and it allows others to be more selective as to what they read or don't read.

Personally I tend to quote important/relevant bits and link to the article if people want to read the rest.

Rafa Benitez spoke to the press ahead of the 'Boro clash, answering questions about everything from Daniel Agger's fitness and Xabi Alonso's future to whether the owners have congratulated him on the Inter win.
    Here's what the boss had to say in full.

How is Daniel Agger?

I think Voronin is close, maybe two weeks. Skrtel is fit and can be available, and Agger is nearly fit. The doctor says he can play little by little, not 90 minutes, so we will start using him.

Will he play against Middlesbrough?

This weekend is too early for him. Maybe he is a possibility for Tuesday when the reserves play.

How worried have you been that the injury has taken so long to recover from?

We were really worried because he is a player with quality. Especially when we play at home, a defender can play and go forward, so he is really important. He was trying to do everything, the medical staff were trying to do everything. It was a strange situation.

Why has it taken so long?

He was training and was okay but then he felt something in a tackle and we had the experience of Xabi Alonso against Arsenal, when he felt something and had to go back, so we needed to be careful.

Everybody says what a difference the likes of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres make to Liverpool. Does Daniel Agger fall into that category of making a big difference to the team?

Yes, for two reasons. First because he has quality. He is a defender who can play the ball. The second reason is because you need to rest your defenders. Sami is 34 and has played more games than last season.

And does it affect the style of play if Daniel is not there?

As I said before, at home he is very important for us because if the other team is deep and compact, he can run with the ball between the midfielders, pass the ball and sometimes score.

Just talking about Sami. There was a line that he might go to Fulham in the summer. Any comment on that?

No, I am really pleased with him.

So he's not going anywhere for the moment?

No.

Just on Xabi Alonso. Is it a problem to keep him happy at the moment when he's not getting as much of a run in the team?

I think that when you have an important squad with good players, it is impossible to play all of them. If the team is playing well, you try to keep players in there who are doing the job. I am really pleased with Xabi, he is a key player for us, with quality, and he must compete for his position.

So it's a case of not wanting to let him go?

Yesterday I was talking with his agent about his future because I heard the rumours. I said he was a player for our future and he must compete for his position. I have four midfielders with different qualities and I like to be in this position. He has renewed his contract this year, it's a long contract, a good contract, so I think he is a key player for us now and in the future.

How can a team that loses to Barnsley beat one of the favourites for the Champions League?

That's football, you know. It's cup competitions. People can see the result against Barnsley or they can see the game. In the game we had lots of opportunities and it could have been different. Against Inter Milan we had fewer chances and scored two. That's football.

So you got the breaks against Inter that you didn't get against Barnsley and to a certain extent in the Premier league?

Yes, you know it's different. And also the atmosphere the other day was amazing. The supporters were behind the team from the beginning, and because it's a cup competition it's different – anything can happen.

Have you had much congratulations for the owners?

Yes, Mr Hicks sent emails saying well done to me and to the players and everyone. He has been very supportive in these last months.

But it's important to remember it's still only half-time in the tie?

Yes, we know. Everyone is talking about a good game and result, but there's another game and we have to go to the San Siro. We must be really, really careful.

How much of a lift would that goal have given Dirk Kuyt?

It was important for him because he's been working so hard but needed to score. He's scored two in the last two games and that's a big boost for him. Hopefully we will see more goals in the next few games.

Has it been a difficult time for him?

Yes, a striker always needs to score but his commitment is always 100 per cent in every game and training session. I was surprised the other day when he gave the ball away and then sprinted 20 metres to get it back – and this was right at then end of the game. That's amazing.

Has his father passing away had a big impact this season?

Yes, but his mentality is very positive. It's more about a lack of confidence because he wasn't scoring than the other things.

Let's look at Middlesbrough. They've got a knack of getting results against the top teams?

It will be a tough game, as always in the Premier league. Southgate is doing a good job because he doesn't have massive experience. He is clever and the team is well organised. They try to play football and are good at counter-attack. He knows what to do and so do the players.

What is it that happens so that a team like Middlesbrough can pull off results against the top sides but then struggle?

The mentality of the players sometimes when you play against important teams, the commitment is there.

What about yourselves between now and the end of the season – is the focus now on the Champions League?

We have two targets, clearly. One is the Champions League and the other is to finish in the top four. We have four games before Inter Milan and we must try to win these games.

But you'd settle for winning the Champions League and finishing outside the top four, wouldn't you?

Our idea is to think about these four games and after that Inter will be a very tough game. The key is to be sure we are in the top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

zing wrote: »
    monkey9 - not having a go at you but any chance of just posting links to the articles rather than the entire article ? Alot of us will have read them already and it allows others to be more selective as to what they read or don't read.

Personally I tend to quote important/relevant bits and link to the article if people want to read the rest.

It's doin' wonders for his post count too :D;):p

prob how mike65 got to where he is too :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey! :mad: I would have linked them (thats still another post though)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

prob how mike65 got to where he is too :p

Nope. he's just really, really, really, really old.

I kid, I kid.:)

Sorry, only saw this after i'd sent the next article

Sweet Je$us, Mike65. Do you have the most posts out of everyone on Boards? That's incredible

Posts count triple for mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mike is the one we all aspire to be like on here :)

wise old mike ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Mike is the one we all aspire to be like on here :)

wise old mike ;)

STFU n00b.:rolleyes:

be nice Des :)

Down with DesF, long live Mike. :)

Mike for pressydent.

Personally i think Mike should be managing Bordeaux.

• Advertisement

be nice Des :)
    Why change the habit of a lifetime?

Personally i think Mike should be managing Bordeaux.

The French team? wtf experience does he have?

30k+ posts on Boards.ie?

pfft.

Ah well, at least my job with Boardeaux is safe. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

the eagle eyed des strikes again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

monkey9 wrote: »
    Have you had much congratulations for the owners?

Yes, Mr Hicks sent emails saying well done to me and to the players and everyone. He has been very supportive in these last months.

Lol what about Gillet ?
    Bastard :mad:

prendy wrote: »
    the eagle eyed des strikes again!
    eh? I know the name of my team.

Boardeaux would be relegated to Eircom League under me. Too many donkeys, not enough flair players :p

Mike (Basset).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This makes me want to get sick! SFW 8 million...!

picture4lk9.png

IrishMike wrote: »
    Lol what about Gillet ?
    Bastard :mad:

MIA for just over 2 months now - reckon he's buried in Hicks cellar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

DesF wrote: »
    STFU n00b.:rolleyes:
    Not anymore... check his join date on his profile & todays date, some coinsidence eh Des? ;) FFS how do I only get to 1 post a day, and this fùcker has 10!?! outragous!:mad:

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    Not anymore... check his join date on his profile & todays date, some coinsidence eh Des? ;) FFS how do I only get to 1 post a day, and this fùcker has 10!?! outragous!:mad:
    Wow, that is scarily stalkerish. :D

What does all this have to do with Liverpool ?

:mad: :D I accidentaly stummbled upon it..... honestly!!! ;)

its alright, i'm flattered ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

well i'm glad i read those past 3 pages
    Tusky wrote: »
    This makes me want to get sick! SFW 8 million...!

picture4lk9.png

shocking that we couldnt stump up that bit of cash, especially considering the price tag on him now

el rabitos wrote: »
    well i'm glad i read those past 3 pages

shocking that we couldnt stump up that bit of cash, especially considering the price tag on him now

Surely he would go for around 15m+ now.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Surely he would go for around 15m+ now.

sure the sevilla president was talking there last week saying they'd take messi and 30 million for him....i'm not even sure he was kidding tbh

we definitely missed the boat there i reckon. he comes with a fair amount of hype and alot of his play is based around the great understading he has with navas but he's super fast and has a good cross on him. would have been a snip at under 10 million

el rabitos wrote: »
    he's super fast and has a good cross on him

i actually have always been quite disappointed with his delivery:confused:

i actually have always been quite disappointed with his delivery:confused:

no, alves we're talking about here, not pennant.

seriously though, make it a point to watch sevilla play, the combination play between navas and alves is pretty sweet.

not pennant - i'm talking about Alves. i've watched them a bit (not really this season).

but everytime i have i've usually been more impressed with their left full Adriano (?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Interesting video.

In all fairness I had no clue what they were saying tbh! :D

Can anyone ID that chat in the studio? Is it from Setanta Liverpool channel or elsewhere cos I got the feeling its quite old.

Mike

V.Interesting. Is he the guy that is the Liverpool fan ? His main aim in life seems to be the best...at everything. Can only mean two things if the takeover goes through.

mike65 wrote: »
    Can anyone ID that chat in the studio? Is it from Setanta Liverpool channel or elsewhere cos I got the feeling its quite old.

Mike

Thought it looked libe BBC world news or something?

Think it might be old, but still very relevant presumably, if not more so if rumours are true that the sheikh has taken a personal interest in acquiring us since missing out originally

Tusky: he is not a liverpool fan, but the guy who runs his empire is.

The interviewer in the black suit is Gordon Burns, ex of The Krypton Factor. I actually thought he was dead.:eek:

He is interviewing a bloke from a tab. I think the Mirror.

Think it might be old

Could be but that video only appeared on youtube on Jan 20th

Cheers DesF I knew the face alright, he is in fact alive.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

well they were quick to remove that one. summary anybody? it must have been of a sensitive nature?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement