Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gerrard definately got over 20 goals all competitions, have a feeling cisse might have too.

very very lucky for pool there.

fck boro look dangerous

pool looking a lot more settled on the ball at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Torres having a blinder. Mascherano probably the second best player on the pitch, very underrated in what he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gerrard needs to look up a bit instead of deciding before he gets the ball what he's going to do. Torres had himself positioned between 2 Boro defenders and waiting sideways for a ball across himself to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    gerrard definately got over 20 goals all competitions, have a feeling cisse might have too.

very very lucky for pool there.

fck boro look dangerous

pool looking a lot more settled on the ball at least

Gerrard got 23 I think, 05/06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Arbeloa and Hyppia is a makeshift pairing. We really miss Carra when he is out. God forbid it if he would have a long-term injury, luckily for us he never has as far as I can recall. Having Agger out for such a long time leaves us vulnerable at the back to situations like today.

I see Skrtel is on the bench. Was he not fit enough to start? If he's not fit, its strange to have him on the bench.

By the way, it was a very lacklustre start from Liverpool, but good work by Torres though. Liverpool are playing a bit better now, some confidence is back. Gerrard is given up on Kuyt though (body language). Hopefully we'll be able to close this game out with 3 points. Everton are away to Man C on Monday, a draw there would help our chase.

Redspider

Jesus we're geting caught with players over nearly every time Boro attack. This is not good at the back.

redspider wrote: »
    luckily for us he never has as far as I can recall.

Appart from when he broke his leg a few seasons back I dotn remember anythign more than small things and even then it's been very few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Some awful defending by liverpool today, lucky to be ahead.

redspider wrote: »
    . Gerrard is given up on Kuyt though (body language).

He's hardly in a position to be doing things like that, his play has been very poor and he's givign the ball away a lot. At least Kuyt knows he is playing out of position and isnt quick .He's not trying to run players down the wing and is playing it simple, waiting for space then putting the ball across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pool have been shi1te except for Torres. Did Finnan play Tuncay onside?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

mike65 wrote: »
    Pool have been shi1te except for Torres.
    Mike.

no different than usual then... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Was that season where he scored like 10 goals in the early stages of the CL? I'd imagine the BBC didn't count them. But I did think that Cisse had scored 20 one season.

yeah despite what people thought of him, Cisse banged them in!

yeah despite what people thought of him, Cisse banged them in!

Banged SOME in . He's an awfull player. He's exactly like that putting game Bart got in the Simpsons, "I suggest feather touch, you have selected powerdrive". He only has one setting, full. He ran at players and just whacked it at them in the vague direction of the goal, as i they were just going to step out of his way.

Sorry for the rant, I really dislike him. :)

Hehe, I know, the stats are...misleading...but there's still no getting away from them, imagine Torres and Cisse up front... :p

Actually, just thinking, he reminds me of a guy I play indoor with that sees nothing wrong with hitting a "pass" to you full power at chest height when your in the box. :confused:

Boo urns to these crap made up training ground free kick routines. Jesus lads just whip a ball in towards the back post and let people try get a flick on it.

i always liked cisse despite his...over-enthusiasm ;)

why has alves not started for boro yet? he's been on the bench for a few weeks so must be fit enough

<edit> yet another horrendously overworked free kick..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

lol, looks like Reina was saying 'puta', spanish for 'whore'.

lol!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i always liked cisse despite his...over-enthusiasm ;)

I remeber seeing one of his goals for France where he was about 7 yards out , standing right in the middle of the goal and absolutey murdered the ball high into the roof of the net. :) No half measures when he's around.

• Advertisement

3-1. Not quite a 5 min hat-trick, but a hat-trick none the less. What was the keeper at?

what an absolute hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Go on Torres you beauty

Sheer Class

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Stekelly wrote: »
    He's exactly like that putting game Bart got in the Simpsons, "I suggest feather touch, you have selected powerdrive".

thats my joke!! :p

more to the point.... does fernando torres have a girlfriend / wife? im not gay but for him, anything is possible :p

Very good save from Schwarzer there. Great run from Torres.

Rafa should put a buzzer on Gerrard and press it to tell him when not to shoot.

• Advertisement

FFS Finnan, thats not the place to be pulling that crap.

im astonished they didn't let alves take the free, he's a masterful free taker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Stekelly wrote: »
    Rafa should put a buzzer on Gerrard and press it to tell him when not to shoot.

And one for Riise with long life batteries.

Reina - Solid - BBC website says he got a yellow card after the Wheater incident
    Finnan - solid as ever - did some nice work going forward
    Arbeloa - no at centre half just no
    Hyypia - showing his age today
    the centre-back combo just gave Boro too many chances in the first-half
    Aurelio - solid as ever
    Kuyt - same old same old - honest gives 100% but just not enough of a goal threat
    Lucas - hasn't done anything impressive - some poor touches - wish he were more of a goal threat looked a bit lightweight at times but still young
    Mascherano - not really his type of game solid as ever defensively but made mistakes going forward i.e picking the wrong pass, slowing the play,
    Babel - As usual patchy - good in spots, poor in other still looks Gerrard - Quietish game by his standards
    Torres - Awesome simply awesome

This will probably change now that I've typed it.Overall the thing that bothers me most about the team is that there aren't enough players you look at and think yeah he could pop up and nick a goal outside Torres and Gerrard. Would like to have seen Babel told to play as second striker as opposed to winger rather than have Benny come on. Lucas didn't look very treatening in goal terms either. ANy ideas folk?

Reina - Solid - BBC website says he got a yellow card after the Wheater incident
    Finnan - solid as ever - did some nice work going forward
    Arbeloa - no at centre half just no
    Hyypia - showing his age today
    the centre-back combo just gave Boro too many chances in the first-half
    Aurelio - solid as ever
    Kuyt - same old same old - honest gives 100% but just not enough of a goal threat
    Lucas - hasn't done anything impressive - some poor touches - wish he were more of a goal threat looked a bit lightweight at times but still young
    Mascherano - not really his type of game solid as ever defensively but made mistakes going forward i.e picking the wrong pass, slowing the play,
    Babel - As usual patchy - good in spots, poor in other still looks Gerrard - Quietish game by his standards
    Torres - Awesome simply awesome

This will probably change now that I've typed it.Overall the thing that bothers me most about the team is that there aren't enough players you look at and think yeah he could pop up and nick a goal outside Torres and Gerrard. Would like to have seen Babel told to play as second striker as opposed to winger rather than have Benny come on. Lucas didn't look very treatening in goal terms either. ANy ideas folk?

You know Kuyt was playing on the right and not up front?

Hard to see why Lucas is in ahead of ALonso alright.

FFS. 3-2 Downing. Gerrard doing badly again. Cant remember him doing anything right today.

• Advertisement

Deja-vu, i can see a draw here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

shag it anyway. Nervy last 10 minutes

Aliadiere sent off.

Gew on the masch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Masch lucky not to go too, he lifted his hands first. Aliadiere slaps like a girl though :P

Gerrard is not doing himself any favours in my eyes today. That move broke down and at the top of he screen Gerrard was standing on the edge ofthe Boro box as they broke. The ball moved up the other end and back down and he was still only getting as far as the edge of the centre circle.

FT 3-2. Torres bails liverpool out. Terrible defending today.

Davei141 wrote: »
    FT 3-2. Torres bails liverpool out. Terrible defending today.

Not really fair to say he bailed us out, he's our main striker, it's what he's there for.

Lucas - why is he getting game time ahead of Alonso or indeed a different formation with Gerrard in the middle and say Yossi wide/free? Riise showed quickly why he won't be missed.

I want to have Torres children :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed I think it's odd that Alonso isn't getting his game. Would suggest to me that Rafa sees his future with Lucas.

Shocking stuff from Liverpool really defensively, but what can you expect with that center back pairing. It seems pretty clear to me that Liverpool still don't have enough cover at CB, as Hyypia is just woeful these days, and Arbeloa while versitile, just isn't good enough in the CB position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

its hard to say anything without being negative.

torres was the only positive again

PHB wrote: »

It seems pretty clear to me that Liverpool still don't have enough cover at CB, .

In fairness, how many teams could expect to be missing thei first 3 centre halfs and still have a good pairing in the middle.

Hyypia didnt do much worng, more Arbeloa not really knowing the position and leavign big gaps.

Yeah knew Kuyt was playing on the right but still not enough of a goal treat.

Masch a bit lucky but thought the ref has been poor throughout. Can see why Boro have the most amount of yellow cards in the league - v v niggly.

I know Benny was offside for the Gerrard free kick but was Torres?
    - Would have had a tap-in for his fourth if he was onside, which would have been worth 11 points for my fantasy football team :( Mad greedy esp w Torres as my captain

Benny and Riise didn't do anything once they came on - apart from Benny making the most woeful effort for Boro's second.

No major changes to my thoughts if anything Lucas played worse - poor control v slow on the ball. Finnan gave away a silly free kick as well - Agree about Alaves taking it.

Yeah knew Kuyt was playing on the right but still not enough of a goal treat.

He was as much of a goal threat as anyone else who played on the wings. He managed to ge a couple of shots off too. HE was there as a provider tofday, not a goalscorer.

TBH I think Mascherano thought aliadiere stood on his heel deliberately and thats what sparked him.

Masch was lucky not to walk today. Finnan poor generally today I thought.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Finnan poor generally today I thought.

Mike.

Yeah. The unnessecary shirt pulling on Alves could have ended very badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Terrible team performance. We were really quite poor. Our attacking was sloppy and our defending was even worse. Who was marking Tuncay for the first goal ?!

I felt Reina had a pretty bad game. Could have possibly done better for the second goal and should have definitely done better for the first. I also felt Lucas had an awful game. Didn't really contribute anything, should have scored and made lots of mistakes. Babel was again, hit and miss with some great flashes of skill.

On the brighter side of things I thought Aurelio was great. If only he could stay fit. Mascherano wasnt as good as he normally is but was still one of our best players.

And Finally, Torres. What a player! 4 shots, 4 on target, 3 goals. Who says he isnt clinical ? Thats 21 goals overall and 9 goals in his lat 9 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

finnan has been mr.reliability over the last few seasons, i thought he played one of his worst matches for us today.

Gerrard and Lucas were very poor, Arbeloa played ok for a make shift cb. Babel looks good but he is missing something, is it his confidence maybe? Kuyt worked hard and a lot of moves broke down at his feet in he first half, had a better second half. Why doesnt Pennant or Gerrard play in that right wing forward position?

Riise was very very poor and once Auriello stays fit he will cement his place in the team. Masch as ever was everywhere but was lucky not to be sent off.

Surprised Torres played so much and he should have got his 4th except for Yossi being an idiot. At this stage i am nearly sure Crouch slept with Rafa's mrs! and I also want to have Torres' babies!

also can someone please kill pat dolan or at least make him a mute?

Call_me_al wrote: »
    At this stage i am nearly sure Crouch slept with Rafa's mrs!

There was nowhere to put him into the lineup.Rafa had a system he wanted to play today. Of the 3 forward players who could Crouch replace? He's never getting a game ahead of Torres and he's not going to play him on the wing instead of Babel or Kuyt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Call_me_al wrote: »
    finnan has been mr.reliability over the last few seasons, i thought he played one of his worst matches for us today.

Gerrard and Lucas were very poor, Arbeloa played ok for a make shift cb. Babel looks good but he is missing something, is it his confidence maybe? Kuyt worked hard and a lot of moves broke down at his feet in he first half, had a better second half. Why doesnt Pennant or Gerrard play in that right wing forward position?

Riise was very very poor and once Auriello stays fit he will cement his place in the team. Masch as ever was everywhere but was lucky not to be sent off.

Surprised Torres played so much and he should have got his 4th except for Yossi being an idiot. At this stage i am nearly sure Crouch slept with Rafa's mrs! and I also want to have Torres' babies!

also can someone please kill pat dolan or at least make him a mute?

In regards to Babel. I think the problem is that he is incredibly right footed and is playing on the left wing. Any one footed player will struggle in that situation. He cant get to the byline and put in a cross with his left so hes constantly coming inside. Give him a run on the right wing I reckon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement