Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crouch only got the 75 seconds he got cos Rafa wanted Torres to get a round of applause. When some time after Nando signed, he said one of the good things about playing for Pool was that unlike Atletico the entire team was not relying on him to score. Ahem.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Crouch only got the 75 seconds he got cos Rafa wanted Torres to get a round of applause. When some time after Nando signed, he said one of the good things about playing for Pool was that unlike Atletico the entire team was not relying on him to score. Ahem.

Mike.

Rafa must have left out the part about playing up front on his own during the negotiations. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mike.

In fairness Gerrard is on 18 & Benayoun is on 10. We do rely on him but maybe not as much as Athletico did. Interesting that he seems to be doing alot better at Liverpool than at A.Madrid.

07/08 - 21 (so far)
    06/07 - 14
    05/06 - 13
    04/05 - 16
    03/05 - 19

Not sure if the Athletico stats are all comps though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Tusky wrote: »
    In regards to Babel. I think the problem is that he is incredibly right footed and is playing on the left wing. Any one footed player will struggle in that situation. He cant get to the byline and put in a cross with his left so hes constantly coming inside. Give him a run on the right wing I reckon.

its the same position he played at Ajax, always cutting in and attacking the goal rather than hitting the byline and knocking balls in. he is really a striker.

I thought Crouch could have come one for the last 15 mins at least.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    its the same position he played at Ajax, always cutting in and attacking the goal rather than hitting the byline and knocking balls in. he is really a striker.

Not really what we need hough, we need proper right a left wingers. Preferably ones that can cross.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Not really what we need hough, we need proper right a left wingers. Preferably ones that can cross.

in the long run i think Rafa will use him as a striker, he cant really cross on either foot.

is pennant fully fit? he is not getting much game time - i think he would have been quite effective today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yay for our usual **** marking from set pieces.

This is a common misconception afaik. I know we conceeded the lowest number of goals from set pieces of all clubs last season. Can't remember conceeding too many this year either.

Surprised it wasn't an og or penalty though.

This is a common misconception afaik. I know we conceeded the lowest number of goals from set pieces of all clubs last season. Can't remember conceeding too many this year either.

Surprised it wasn't an og or penalty though.

We seem to get away with it a lot though. We also try to play offside waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Every now and then we get badly caught out with it too when 1 player hangs back a bit. Having watched for a good while I'm of the opinion we get more than our fair share of marginal decisions re:offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Jaysus Lucas, I like the lad but his first touch is atrocious, he needs to work on that.
    Thought Gerrard was muck today, also anyone notice that he never applauds anyones efforts? If he doesn't receive the ball he doesn't seem to care, very annoying.

Overall we squeezed out a result but at least we're back on the winning track now! Bolton away next, tough enough but with Nando on form we should win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

We seem to get away with it a lot though. We also try to play offside waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Every now and then we get badly caught out with it too when 1 player hangs back a bit. Havign watched for a ggod while I'm of the opinion we get morethan our fair share of marginal decisions re:offside.

Sorta see what you mean but our defensive record is generally up there with the best for the past few seasons. TBH, if I hear someone questioning zonal marking again, I will ****ing kill them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It was a class display from Torres, I know he was "gifted" 2 goals but look at the first again, he was falling and still finished it.
    2nd was magic, I knew when I saw him on the ball he was going to score....
    3rd, he still could have missed but no the lad took his chance and scored. He wil be a demon of a player for us next year.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    He wil be a demon of a player for us next year.

Lets hope he's still here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

the right foot left wing thing works well for barca.

the idea is that the full back overlaps allowing the winger to have 2 options play it to him or cut onto the right and pass/cross inside. If pools left back got beyond babel it would work as its a perfect system, gives your wings 180 degree passing system.

Pool were poor today but Torres saved them.

kdjac

fortuneg wrote: »
    Momo strikes again & costs Juve a valuable point with a ridiculous attempted overhead clearance (IN HIS OWN BOX) that ended in him missing the ball & kicking a Reggina player, penaly, goal, defeat.

2-1

:eek:

KdjaCL wrote: »
    the right foot left wing thing works well for barca.

the idea is that the full back overlaps allowing the winger to have 2 options play it to him or cut onto the right and pass/cross inside. If pools left back got beyond babel it would work as its a perfect system, gives your wings 180 degree passing system.

Pool were poor today but Torres saved them.

kdjac

I actually did notice Aurelio overlapping on the left a lot today. Maybe thats why.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tusky wrote: »
    I actually did notice Aurelio overlapping on the left a lot today. Maybe thats why.

I noticed it too, but I would imagine a few more games of Aurelio and Babel on the left and we will see a fantastic pairing.

Good ould Kuyt set Torres last one up, what a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Sorta see what you mean but our defensive record is generally up there with the best for the past few seasons. TBH, if I hear someone questioning zonal marking again, I will ****ing kill them.

Classic :D:D:D

I just heard Chris Kamara saying Liverpool concede alot because of their zonal marking!!I can only remember maybe 2 goals all season and NONE from a corner(Im not counting the Utd goal at anfield)!!He fails to mention though Newcastle scored their goal yesterday via a corner when Utd were using the 'less flawed' man marking system:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Lazy reporting again from a sky pundit. who would have thunk it :)

Tomkinson on the liverpool website has almost written a dissertation on how much better per game zonal marking is than man v man. He has put some effort into it and analysed the stats, something it seems that is beyond the lads on sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What do you expect? After United had concedded 9 goals this season, Sky ran a piece on how United had conceeded 50% of their goals (i.e. 5) from set pieces this season, and how it was their weak point. It's sky :)

Who's thinking maybe EPSN might be a better option to win the bid when it comes around again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well they certainly do go into some fantastic depth with their stats, a couple of decent commentators and they could be in business.

• Advertisement

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3189619,00.html

Few rumors about this guy. Anyone know anything about him ?

He is a classic Brazilian full-back, extremely attack, but suprisingly solid defensively imo. Looks a decent player, not sure how good he is, but why a RB? Finnan not being considered for the future. Also 5 million seems much too low for him.

PHB wrote: »
    He is a classic Brazilian full-back, extremely attack, but suprisingly solid defensively imo. Looks a decent player, not sure how good he is, but why a RB? Finnan not being considered for the future. Also 5 million seems much too low for him.

Well Finnan is 31 and unfortunately its started to show this season. He hasn't been as reliable as in previous seasons. As it is Arbeloa is covering for RB/CB & LB so I think a new RB would be a good buy once he isnt too expensive.

Ive heard this guy is a little bit like a less developed Alves. Lots of stamina, gets up and down the wings and has a good cross. Dont know too much about him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I heard about this rumour last weekend so kept on eye on him during the CL highlight shows. Looked very good, had a direct involvement with the goal too, his shot coming back out for Kuranyi.

Also put a bit of blind faith in and put him my fantasy champions league team - he didn't let me down!

this could be our second bite at the cherry where we messed up in signing Alves for a decent price.

Interesting possibility;

Reina
    ---Skrtel---Carra---Agger
    Rafinha
    Masch
    Aurelio
    Alonso
    ----Gerrard
    Babel
    Torres

Essentially attacking free roles for Gerrard and Babel (If the ball is coming up the left, babel can move wide with Gerrard coming in to support Torres, and vice versa, swap who is the winger and who is the support striker based on the situation), allows for overlapping runs from Rafinha and Aurelio and still looks strong enough. Looking at how things are going, Gerrard would probably be in Alonso's position, with a new buy in for Gerrard.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I heard about this rumour last weekend so kept on eye on him during the CL highlight shows. Looked very good, had a direct involvement with the goal too, his shot coming back out for Kuranyi.

Also put a bit of blind faith in and put him my fantasy champions league team - he didn't let me down!

this could be our second bite at the cherry where we messed up in signing Alves for a decent price.

Interesting possibility;

Reina
    ---Skrtel---Carra---Agger
    Rafinha
    Masch
    Aurelio
    Alonso
    ----Gerrard
    Babel
    Torres

Essentially attacking free roles for Gerrard and Babel (If the ball is coming up the left, babel can move wide with Gerrard coming in to support Torres, and vice versa, swap who is the winger and who is the support striker based on the situation), allows for overlapping runs from Rafinha and Aurelio and still looks strong enough. Looking at how things are going, Gerrard would probably be in Alonso's position, with a new buy in for Gerrard.

Youre always going on about that formation! Would like to see something like this myself.

Reina

Rafinha--Carra--Agger--Aurelio

Masch

new
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres---new

Subs:
    Itandje
    Skrtle
    Arbeloa
    Alonso
    Benayoun
    Pennant
    Crouch

If we were playing tough opposition bring Alonso in and switch to 4-2-3-1 with one striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

IMO you cannot leave out Alonso when fit, he's your best player bar Torres.

A system like that Tusky requires a lot better passing than you get from those CB's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

while 2 new full backs would be nice, our priorities should be the following in the summer:

1. Left/Right winger (top class one)
    2. Striker (top class one)
    3. Left/Right winger (young and cheapish)
    4. Left Back (preferably Insua would fill this role, i'm convinced he's good enough)
    5. Right Back

can't see us having the money to get down to 5.

Real Madrid believe they will succeed in snatching Steven Gerrard away from Liverpool for £50m at the end of this season. (News of the World)

so who would take that deal? i certainly would!

and keegan apparently wants insua, might be good for him to go on loan and get some experience. although maybe playing in a Newcastle defense would ruin him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

PHB wrote: »
    A system like that Tusky requires a lot better passing than you get from those CB's.

Skrtel and Agger would be fine in that regard. I hope we get a chance to see them play together this season. I absolutely adore Carra, but he is so limited on the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Carra's a wee bit too slow though.

i mentioned that formation alright last week but with totally unrealistic players filling the gaps. that one could potentially get the best out of our players without needing to spend more then whatever rafinha costs. I think whatever players we go for really have to fit in with a formation that suits our current best players attributes perfectly.

on another note, anyone else think Rafinha looks just like T-bag from Prison Break?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

agger is as good a passer as any cb i can think of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Skrtel and Agger would be fine in that regard. I hope we get a chance to see them play together this season. I absolutely adore Carra, but he is so limited on the ball

I raised the possibility of replacing Carra a few weeks ago, and was lambasted for it :)

Is Rebels formation not Rafas at Valencia, basicly?

Important game tomorrow City v Everton

1 Arsenal
    27-36----64
    2 Man Utd ----27-40----61
    3 Chelsea
    26-21----55
    4 Liverpool----26-24----47
    5 Everton
    26-18----47
    6 Aston Villa---27-15----47
    7 Portsmouth--27-11----44
    8 Man City----26--05----44
    9 Blackburn----27-02----42
    10 West Ham---26-08----40

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Any idea when the west ham game is planned for?

I hate the way pool aleays have a game in hand it seems to happen every season. People also think its 3 points in the bag which wrong.

17 points behind :(

The reason Liverpool always seem to have a game in hand is down to the CL qualifier games I think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

yayamark wrote: »
    Any idea when the west ham game is planned for?

I hate the way pool aleays have a game in hand it seems to happen every season. People also think its 3 points in the bag which wrong.

17 points behind :(

The west ham game is next week (midweek) as Inter are the following week

Is Rebels formation not Rafas at Valencia, basicly?

Important game tomorrow City v Everton

Hoping for a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Real Madrid believe they will succeed in snatching Steven Gerrard away from Liverpool for £50m at the end of this season. (News of the World)

Jaysus, theyll have a tough time trying to fit him, Kaka and Villa into the team this summer. =P Dont read to far into stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Rafinha has looked good anytime I've watched Schalke play. He's a bit of a legend in FM so I always keep an eye on him in real life. Would be a decent buy if he didn't cost too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Does anyone have any links to the goals yesterday, was at the game and would really like to see the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Does anyone have any links to the goals yesterday, was at the game and would really like to see the goals.
    Try here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Ta mate.

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hicks son was spat at and abused in a Pub around Anfield after yesterdays game,a few IrishKop members were in the pub when it happened.It has hit the press now...

Link

Reading about that yesterday on RAWK - there are some idiots on that forum I tell ya. Some reckoned it would be made public quick enough with predictable consequences.

Mike.

pretty stupid thing to do really.making them actively dislike the fans rather then just not care about them can only make things worse for everyone. If they think thats gonna make him change his plans and fore-go the potential profit they've another thing coming.

Would have been much better off doing what the first person did and having a reasoned discussion, expression their disillusionment with the decisions H&G have made etc rather then behaving like neanderthals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Reading about that yesterday on RAWK

I told ya before Mike, that site will rot your brain! ;)

Anyone who spat on Hicks Jnr, is nothing but a dirty knacker. But my most accounts it was one or two people. General abuse and anti-american tunes are to be accepted and tbh, too ****ing right. What sort of nutty texan thought he'd stroll into the fans main pub after the match and get no reaction!? crazy texan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I dunno what's worse, spitting at him or missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

General abuse and anti-american tunes are to be accepted

Alan surely people cant accept this kind of behaviour?
    Whatever people's feeling about the owners abuse is not the way to turn things around and it just makes the club look bad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement