Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

prendy wrote: »
    Alan surely people cant accept this kind of behaviour?
    Whatever people's feeling about the owners abuse is not the way to turn things around and it just makes the club look bad.

Wat kind of behaviour? singing anti owner songs? been happening for weeks. Shouthing abuse at him? too right!

Of course its to be expected and i dont think there is anything wrong with it, in fact i think they were dead right. I dont think it puts the club in a bad light at all either tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Wat kind of behaviour? singing anti owner songs? been happening for weeks. Shouthing abuse at him? too right!

Of course its to be expected and i dont think there is anything wrong with it, in fact i think they were dead right. I dont think it puts the club in a bad light at all either tbh.

What do you mean?

People should go to football, sit down queitly and just enjoy the match.

Singing and chanting? What are we, savages?

Anti-owner chants in a pub full of lads, it's just not cricket old boy.

The dude whould never have went into the pub.

It just goes to show they have absolutely no idea what the Liverpool fans are feeling. They are out of touch.

But then again. Why should they care? If the die-hards stop going, they'll still fill Anfield with Day trippers, probably be able to charge them double too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hicks son was spat at and abused in a Pub around Anfield after yesterdays game,a few IrishKop members were in the pub when it happened.It has hit the press now...
    Tom Hicks Jr, who was appointed to the Liverpool board of directors in the wake of his father’s takeover of the club a year ago, had been to watch the 3-2 victory over Middlesbrough when, against the wishes of the small party he was with, he decided to visit the Sandon pub, a popular haunt among diehard fans situated in the shadow of the Kop, about an hour after the game had finished.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3427890.ece

what made him think it would be a good idea, going to a diehard supporters bar, of a club that no one particular likes the owners, and your said owners son

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Originally Posted by Call_me_al View Post
    Real Madrid believe they will succeed in snatching Steven Gerrard away from Liverpool for £50m at the end of this season. (News of the World)

Who praytell is bringing all these false stories to the newspapers.Its getting old and fast. Gerrard moving in the summer. What are they like. That boy started at the club and he'll finish there too. Gerrard's play is set to liverpool. His heart is there,His family is there, His kids just started school there well one of them so there is no doubt in my mind that he will not be going anywhere. God the news of the world p**s me off, i'd nearly put them in the same bracket as the sun, wat a toilet roll of a newpaper...

Gerrard + Liverpool = Life.(FACT)

Does make ya think though.....50 million pounds! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

stick-dan wrote: »
    Who praytell is bringing all these false stories to the newspapers.Its getting old and fast. Gerrard moving in the summer. What are they like. That boy started at the club and he'll finish there too. Gerrard's play is set to liverpool. His heart is there,His family is there, His kids just started school there well one of them so there is no doubt in my mind that he will not be going anywhere. God the news of the world p**s me off, i'd nearly put them in the same bracket as the sun, wat a toilet roll of a newpaper...

Gerrard + Liverpool = Life.(FACT)

dont belive much of the NOTW print my self, would not even use them or the s*n as toilet paper, but i think if liverpool had not won the CL, gerrard would have gone, yes he is dedicated to the club, its his heart, but if rafa was to go, and if was not to be replaced by a world class manager, and liverpool do not pick up another major trophey, by next season at least, i could see him leaving,

:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I'd take 50 mill for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In a flash! If he does go it must be this summer.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

DesF wrote: »
    If the die-hards stop going, they'll still fill Anfield with Day trippers, probably be able to charge them double too.

Tut tut :)

I think it was a mistake to spit at the guy, granted they ****ed up but imagine how well the supporters & the club would have looked had they left them alone.

Regarding Gerrard, perhaps Real might double swoop - Rafa and Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i love stevie but i think if an offer of 50m came in then we'd be crazy not to seriously consider it.
    but agree that the NOTW is about as good a source as the s*n.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mike65 wrote: »
    In a flash! If he does go it must be this summer.

Mike.

Why so? still contracted till 2011

Day trippers

hey, we can work it out.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

according to most english journo's who are asked the new reporter at the notw(chris bascombe)has the most incredible sources of any football reporter.Much of what he says is from the horses mouth.Tim rich of the telegraph said as much on off the ball recently.

A lot of what is written about pool these days is pure fiction but i pay attention to what bascombe writes and what ballage says(despite his hyperbole he is almost rafa's pro at this stage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

stick-dan wrote: »
    i'd nearly put them in the same bracket as the sun, wat a toilet roll of a newpaper...

Gerrard + Liverpool = Life.
    (FACT)

The NOTW is a sister paper of the sun - basically the sun on a sunday

£50 million would be impossible to turn down imo

He was nearly gone to Chelsea a few years back don't forget :rolleyes:

raven136 wrote: »
    according to most english journo's who are asked the new reporter at the notw(chris bascombe)has the most incredible sources of any football reporter.Much of what he says is from the horses mouth.Tim rich of the telegraph said as much on off the ball recently.

A lot of what is written about pool these days is pure fiction but i pay attention to what bascombe writes and what ballage says(despite his hyperbole he is almost rafa's pro at this stage)

Bascombe lost most of his connections within LFC when he left for NOTW. Most of what he comes out with now is sensationalist rubbish. Tony Barrett has become the new "man in the know" in terms of getting decent information direct out of Anfield. He's very much stepped into Bascombe's old role.

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote: »

hardly rocket science. he was the chief football writer for the Echo for years.

A lot of the contacts he would have made over the years though would have ended when he moved to the NOTW-but he is still worth listening to. Was it him who had the story about Real Madrid? i doubt it! I doubt his contacts stretch as far as the Real board room and who they are planning summer swoops for!

not according to some who say the piece written by bascombe about rafa leaving not if he would leave was bascially from rafa.Tony b is excellent but bascombe is spot on for stuff about rafa,mainly because rafa is telling him what to write :D

ah hear now Raven!

Bascombe has had some good articles this year, but he has also written a load of sensationalist tabloid ****e too!

its hard to find someone really decent to listen to,bascombe and balague are both excellent but sensationalist whereas the echo and kop seem to be too one sided in all pieces.
    the pool at this stage must be a tabloid writers dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

> Torres bails liverpool out.

Yeah, I'd tend to agree with that. If it wasnt for his good finishing, which is great to see, Boro could have got a draw from that game. Liverpool were frail at the back.

Was Skrtel partially injured not to have featured? He was on the bench. (I asked already but didnt see an answer from anyone). I am presuming he was.

Mike asked did Finnan keep them onside for the 1st goal. Yes, he did but Hyypia did as well, both iwere n line with Tuncay, and it was in Hyypia area to defend, not Steve's. Hyypia had his arms up claiming offside and stopped tracking back. So no blame on Steve, more so on Hyypia. Its touch and go whether those ones are judged offside or not. I also blame Reina for the goal as he could have closed Tuncay down, and made a much better attempt at saving it, instead of staying static on the line, he is not good in dead ball situations. (I forgot to mention that for their disallowed goal, it was Reina's presence that forced Tuncay to 'chicken out' of his header and use his arm!).

By the way, why are Liverpool playing Inter on the 11th and not the week before? What is the reason behind it? Its unsual for the CL.

Redspider

• Advertisement

Tony Barrett at the Echo is the only man for the job Raven :)

redspider wrote: »

Yeah, I'd tend to agree with that. If it wasnt for his good finishing, which is great to see, Boro could have got a draw from that game. Liverpool were frail at the back.

Was Skrtel partially injured not to have featured? He was on the bench. (I asked already but didnt see an answer from anyone). I am presuming he was.

Mike asked did Finnan keep them onside for the 1st goal. Yes, he did but Hyypia did as well, both iwere n line with Tuncay, and it was in Hyypia area to defend, not Steve's. Hyypia had his arms up claiming offside and stopped tracking back. So no blame on Steve, more so on Hyypia. Its touch and go whether those ones are judged offside or not. I also blame Reina for the goal as he could have closed Tuncay down, and made a much better attempt at saving it, instead of staying static on the line, he is not good in dead ball situations. (I forgot to mention that for their disallowed goal, it was Reina's presence that forced Tuncay to 'chicken out' of his header and use his arm!).

By the way, why are Liverpool playing Inter on the 11th and not the week before? What is the reason behind it? Its unsual for the CL.

Redspider

milan and inter both have home 2nd legs i think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Liverpool play Inter a week later cos AC Milan get priority at the San Siro and they are playing at home in the CL in the 'main week' of CL fixtures.

How people can say Torres "bailed out" Liverpool is beyond me. It used to be "Stevie G bails out Liverpool".. at least you could kind of understand that.. it was Stevie G stepping up beyond his role to get goals. Torres job is to take the ball, fire it at the goal, and put it in the net. That is what he was bought to do for god's sake!!

Arsenal play AC Milan the week before - the authorities won't allow two games at the San Siro back-to-back.

Mike.

so are we playing west ham the CL week then inter the week after.
    tough couple of weeks if we are!

We'll finally get to play our game in hand against west ham.

I think he was fully fit from an injury point of view, but might not have had the legs for the 90mins. His recovery took slightly longer then expected (2 or 3 days extra) so probably didn't get to do too many full proper training sessions. Id expect him to be available to start the next game, whether he will or not with Carra back is another question though, but i hope he does.

Will be great to have the game at hand out of the way so we can get a better feel for where we are.

Really hoping the team can live up to Rafa's challenge of 4 straight wins between Inter matchs, would be a first for the season, and show we're going somewhere towards the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

spockety wrote: »
    Liverpool play Inter a week later cos AC Milan get priority at the San Siro and they are playing at home in the CL in the 'main week' of CL fixtures.

Is the San Siro more AC Milan's than Inters or something?

PHB wrote: »
    Is the San Siro more AC Milan's than Inters or something?

it was AC Milan's stadium on their own first, they built and owned it, then Inter started sharing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Redspider

They said that Skrtle didnt have the legs for a full 90 minutes due to lack of match practice.

• Advertisement

The quote below pretty much sums up my thoughts on the incident.
    An opportunity to speak with one of the most powerful people at the club (in terms of managment) was shunned and treated with disdain.

A missed opportunity, no?

Regardless of feelings towards the americans, if they are to be the owners for the forseeable future, wouldn't it be better to sit down and talk and put your opinions across to an actual person, not sung to an empty ground?

Tusky wrote: »

wat would you talk to him about?

Mr Hicks Jnr-please tell your daddy to stop making our club a laughing stock! Please don't undermine the manager that has the full support of match going reds!
    please dont lie to us at every given opportunity!
    please dont destroy our club like almost every business you have ever touched!
    please sell to DIC who can actually afford to do all the things you promised!

he is not going to negotiate with fans-he needed to be made known he is not welcome.

Mr Hicks Jnr-please tell your daddy to stop making our club a laughing stock! Please don't undermine the manager that has the full support of match going reds!
    please dont lie to us at every given opportunity!
    please dont destroy our club like almost every business you have ever touched!
    please sell to DIC who can actually afford to do all the things you promised!

he is not going to negotiate with fans-he needed to be made known he is not welcome.

He's very much playing the nice guy angle however, spitting at him isn't going to do us any favours from a external point of view.

He's very much playing the nice guy angle however, spitting at him isn't going to do us any favours from a external point of view.

i agree. but in fairness it was one person who spat at him. which is low. but the rest just made it known that he was not welcome in the pub or the City.

i agree. but in fairness it was one person who spat at him. which is low. but the rest just made it known that he was not welcome in the pub or the City.

Ah yea the sing song thing is grand.

The atmosphere inside there must have been something else though.

Far as i'm aware it wasnt SOS or RTK.

TBH i wouldnt be suprised if he met with no one and its all park of the Hicks PR machine.

ya reading it i thought that myself....

"oh ya there was an incident but the majority of fans are behind us i met with them" etc etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

They said that Skrtle didnt have the legs for a full 90 minutes due to lack of match practice.

Thanks for that Tusky (and the other responses). The only thing that doesnt make sense is if this was the case, surely he could have played and then be subbed with 20 mins to go or however long his 'legs' would have lasted him? It just seems stange to play Arbeloa in the centre for ALL of the 90 mins. Oh well, no-one only Rafa really knows what goes on in his head in terms of making such decisions.

> the authorities won't allow two games at the San Siro back-to-back.

I would have thought that one of the teams could have played on a Tue and the other on a Wed. If Croke Park can do it, surely the San Siro can. I guess it will keep 4 sets of supporters apart. I guess we 'lost' the toss, if there was one. Or was Berlusconi doing the toss? It will feel strange playing West Ham on a CL night, and then strange playing Inter on a non-CL night.

Looks like the battle for 4th will be a long one as the competing teams just keep winning (eg: Villa).

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

An opportunity to speak with one of the most powerful people at the club (in terms of managment) was shunned and treated with disdain.

A missed opportunity, no?

Regardless of feelings towards the americans, if they are to be the owners for the forseeable future, wouldn't it be better to sit down and talk and put your opinions across to an actual person, not sung to an empty ground?

Is that from Tony Barrett? Can't see it in either of the two articles linked to but then my brain isn't working right today. If it is from him it's somewhat worrying as it offers no glimpse of a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I would have thought that one of the teams could have played on a Tue and the other on a Wed. If Croke Park can do it, surely the San Siro can. I guess it will keep 4 sets of supporters apart. I guess we 'lost' the toss, if there was one. Or was Berlusconi doing the toss? It will feel strange playing West Ham on a CL night, and then strange playing Inter on a non-CL night.

Looks like the battle for 4th will be a long one as the competing teams just keep winning (eg: Villa).

Redspider

It is more to do with logistics... hotel rooms, flights and as you said too many fans in the one place at the one time...

Thanks for that Tusky (and the other responses). The only thing that doesnt make sense is if this was the case, surely he could have played and then be subbed with 20 mins to go or however long his 'legs' would have lasted him? It just seems stange to play Arbeloa in the centre for ALL of the 90 mins. Oh well, no-one only Rafa really knows what goes on in his head in terms of making such decisions.

Redspider

They didnt want Arsenal & Liverpool fans in the city at the same time.

Anyone know when the draws for the quarter finals is ? Will we know who we will meet in the quarters if we should progress ahead of the second leg ?

Anyone know when the draws for the quarter finals is ? Will we know who we will meet in the quarters if we should progress ahead of the second leg ?

would that be a good or bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

They didnt want Arsenal & Liverpool fans in the city at the same time.

No im pretty sure the draw is after the Uefa Cup Last 16 matches which conclude onthe 13th so the draw for the Quarters will be on the 14th March:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Perhaps to find out just what it would take for him and his old man to f**k off from the club. I'd be rather keen on finding that out myself.

EDIT: Round and around and around we go... once more

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3434438.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Looks like we are going back to 5th. We really have to make sure we win the game in hand now (and all the others)

To be honest, if they do do a deal by the start of the summer, I wouldn't lament our stint with the Americans too much. (obviously would be a different matter if they retain control). Its been a waste of a season success wise, but we Should still be back where we were next year, assuming we can clinch 4th. The team on paper is definately stronger with the additions of Skrtel, Torres, Yossi and Babel and Lucas (as well as probably Mascherano). And we have Hicks to thank for the incredible revamped stadium model which i really cant wait to see built. Who knows, under DIC we might have just gotten the original bowl (though looking at Dubai, probably not!).

But all in all, once we secure 4th, this one year blip wasn't without its ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

tonc76 wrote: »
    The NOTW is a sister paper of the sun - basically the sun on a sunday

£50 million would be impossible to turn down imo

He was nearly gone to Chelsea a few years back don't forget :rolleyes:

maybe for you... i agree everyone has their price..but in relistic terms that boy is the team and no player on the market at the moment could replace him for what he means and does to and for liverpool.You can buy pride for your locality, you can't buy tradition and you damn sure can't buy the love he has for the club.

50 million well wasted if we sell him.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement