Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Is the Liverpool/Utd reserve game on LFCTV tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Maybe Gillette is smart enough to realise that commenting on the rumours won't make them go away. Best thing to do is not say anything and just let it die a death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Remind me again, who is worse Gillette or Hicks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Parry.

PiE wrote: »
    Parry.

Well done. He is a tit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Is the Liverpool/Utd reserve game on LFCTV tonight?

Yeah I'll be watching to see how Agger is. hopefully he'll get a full 90 in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

PHB wrote: »
    Maybe Gillette is smart enough to realise that commenting on the rumours won't make them go away. Best thing to do is not say anything and just let it die a death.

Yeah, and while he's at it, he may as well pull his son Foster out of his office at Melwood and pack him off home for good, instead of leaving him at Liverpool to do his job as "man on the ground"?

This is not dying a death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

People will come to accept their ownership. Every time somebody comes out and says somebody is going to buy United off the Glaziers, they release a simple conference and says, this will not happen, and everybody moves on after a few more fake stories. Hicks keeps denying it, because, well as we all know, he isn't the brightest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can we try and not like post every hopeful rumour that DIC are selling, what is this, the 5th? It's becoming like replacing Stan at this point.

---

Who cares if Gerrard loves the club or doesn't, only he knows that. Either way, 30 million could be better spend, especially since Mascherano, Alonso and Lucas are not a bad set of midfielders to have.

I dont agree. If we sold Gerrard for 30 million we would have to replace him with a top attacking central midfielder. They dont exactly come cheap. To get a player of similar talent (Gerrard has scored 18 goals and has around 13 assists) would cost a hell of a lot of the money. The replacement would also most likely not be as good as Stevie. Id rather we just kept him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

People will come to accept their ownership. Every time somebody comes out and says somebody is going to buy United off the Glaziers, they release a simple conference and says, this will not happen, and everybody moves on after a few more fake stories. Hicks keeps denying it, because, well as we all know, he isn't the brightest

What are you talking about?
    United have NEVER ever had the amount of speculation surrounding the Glaziers
    as Liverpool have had about their owners in only the last 3-4 months.
    I dont ever recall their being a press conference where the Glaziers had to come
    out and say they werent selling their club.
    This is completely different.
    There is no smoke without fire and thats the reason its being discussed so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wasn't aware there was any speculation about the Glazers. But then I'm not very interested in the machinations of Man Utd ;)

Foster Gillett cleared his proverbial desk some time ago, its reckoned Hicks Jr is his successor (if he gets the chance!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

spockety wrote: »
    Yeah, and while he's at it, he may as well pull his son Foster out of his office at Melwood and pack him off home for good, instead of leaving him at Liverpool to do his job as "man on the ground"?

This is not dying a death.

Foster Gillet hasn't been seen at the club for months apparently.

also if we were to sell Gerrard for the rumoured 50m (over valued but i am dealing with the current speculation) we wouldnt need to bring in another cm but we could buy a rw, a lw and a striker who between them would score more goals then stevie gets and at the same time improve our weak positions.

BBC are still running with Hicks selling his shares as their lead football story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7265023.stm

Manchester Utd Reserves v Liverpool Reserves @ 19:30 tonight on LFCTV.

Alonso & Agger in the team. I'll also be looking out for Leto, Nemeth and most of all Insua. Check out the highlights of Liverpool v Newcastle from last week (I think). Insua looked brilliant.

And if you needed more encouragement to watch the game, Gary Neville is in the utd team!

ALSO - Aliadiadiadiaidiadare & Middlesborough have appealed the 3 match ban that went along with the straight red card at the weekend. The FA decided to 'up' the ban to 4 matches!

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3199825,00.html

FA sending a message methinks! Look out JT ;)

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

RAY KENNEDY NIGHT A HUGE SUCCESS

The Ray of Hope appeal 26 February 2008

300 passionate Redmen, the European Cup, and a fully stocked bar all under one roof: nights out really don't get much better than this.
    The Ray of Hope Appeal launch night in favour of Ray Kennedy and the Parkinson's Disease Society was held in the Bob Paisley suite on Saturday 23rd February after the Middlesbrough match, and proved to be a huge success.

Reds came from far and wide to attend with all sections of Liverpool's fanbase represented – old school, new school, Scouse, Irish, Scandinavian, young and old – and all there to pledge their support to one of our very finest players.

The appeal started up just under a month ago, and, prior to Saturday evening, had raised in the order of just under £10,000. Saturday night had been some weeks in the planning and was intended to be one of our flagship fundraising events for the appeal.

In all honesty, the trustees of the appeal didn't quite know what to expect when planning the night but we ended literally overwhelmed by the support shown and by people's enduring love and respect for Ray. Then again, with the passion Liverpool fans have for their club, maybe we shouldn't have been surprised.

The day had started a few hours earlier as a bucket collection was organised around the Anfield pubs before the game. This was a great success as it seemed pretty much everyone approached knew about the appeal (and about Ray's situation) and close to £1000 was raised in under an hour prior to kick off. Thanks to everyone who helped out and to the HJC for assisting with the co-ordination and logistics of it all.

The evening itself began as doors opened at 8pm, and people poured in to have their photo taken with the European Cup at a fiver a time. (Tip for anyone who has to listen to a Man U fan going on about them winning their treble in 1999 in future – just show them your photo from the night holding old big ears and remind the trophy they won in 1999 is all ours now). Alan Kennedy had kindly agreed to attend as host and took the mic from 9pm and introduced the running order to the evening.

Alan then spoke very movingly about his memories of playing with Ray and paid tribute to what a key component Ray was in Liverpool's golden era. Alan also told the story of the time he made his Reds debut at Anfield in the 2-1 league victory over QPR. Suffering from debut nerves, it didn't go well. Alan nearly scored an own goal and played very poorly. At half time he walked in to the dressing room, naively looking for some support from Bob Paisley. He didn't get it, as Bob shot him a withering look and murmered darkly that "they shot the wrong bloody Kennedy!!". Our thanks to Alan for attending the evening and giving willingly of his time. He stuck around for a good few hours afterwards and made sure he had a word and a moment for everyone. Top man.

The party then kicked off in earnest with a great acoustic set from James Walsh of Starsailor, who rattled out a few tunes before moving onto Liverpool classics including a quite brilliant improvised Mascherano / White Stripes tribute. Great stuff.

Liz McLarnon took the stage later in the evening and was every bit as talented and lovely as she appears on tv. She was wearing a blue top, but, given the exceptionally kind way in which Liz gave up her time we can forgive her the one little Evertonian fashion faux pas.

And whilst we're handing out bouquets, a big thanks to John, Kevin, Tom and Paul on the events side who helped us set the night up – you lads have been nothing short of magnificent.

The night ended with a resounding You'll Never Walk Alone as everyone started to make their way home. It's nights like this which make you hugely proud to be a Red and it's brilliant to see how many Reds are willing to engage and get behind something which is bang in the spirit of what Liverpool FC should be about.

If you were there, helped out, bought something at the auction, treated yourself to a nice new pair of trainers, threw into the buckets or if you've donated to the appeal otherwise – thank you. We hoped you enjoyed it every bit as much as we did and we will confirm the monies raised in due course – but it's looking very good indeed.

Ray was there for us, and we will be there for him.

You'll never walk alone irish reds are holding a benifit quiz. on frid 29th feb the Tram dublin 8.
    then..

Next stop for the appeal – the 92 football league grounds in April. Alternatively, if you're in Newry on St Patrick's Day, the Coleraine branch of the supporters' club are holding a benefit night for Ray and the appeal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT QUIZ

WITH LFC - SECTIONS

IN AID OF THE RAY OF HOPE APPEAL

THIS FRIDAY 29TH FEB 2008

THE TRAM - ST JAMES STREET, DUBLIN 8

DOORS OPEN 8PM .... all welcome . SOME GREAT PRIZES COME ALONG AND SUPPORT THE NIGHT, SUPPORT ONE OF OUR OWN TRUE LEGENDS.

Everytime I see mention of Ray kennedy I'm prompted to wonder about Liverpool fc and what they are (not) doing. A single pre/post reason friendly would be both right and deliver the cash.

Mike.

Alonso starting in the reserves! Mad, i hope this is just to get him back on form and not a sign that he's off in the summer. Insua and Leto should have fun running at Neville all night. Can't wait for this match, very high attendance (nearly 10,000) for a reserve game!

Alonso starting in the reserves! Mad, i hope this is just to get him back on form and not a sign that he's off in the summer. Insua and Leto should have fun running at Neville all night. Can't wait for this match, very high attendance (nearly 10,000) for a reserve game!

Alonso, Agger & Kewell starting!

[edit]

Darby--Agger--San Jose--Insua

Flynn--Alonso--Plessis---Kewell

Spearing----Nemeth

Thats just my guess at the formation. I dont really have a clue.

Whoops Leto isn't starting! Well then Kewell and Neville will be on about even terms, its up to Insua to put him under pressure!

• Advertisement

What the hell is up with that pitch ?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Pen to liverpool, given away by Pique, slotted home by Alonso

liverpool 1up after 14mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Leto hasn't played in ages. Apparantly it was mentioned during the last reserve match that he has hit a snag with his permit and cant play again till its sorted! Haven't seen anything official about this yet though.

Alonso is number 10 on the official site, is he playing up front?

Wish i had setanta.

What the hell were Boro playing at appealing that sending off?! There was no way in hell it was going to get rescinded. The replays clearly show him throwing a slap (however womanly) at Masch. They also show the provokation but that wouldn't help Aliadiere in any way I dont think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Nunu wrote: »
    I was just watching a repeat of Liverpools reserve game at Newcastle and the commentator mentioned that it was a pity Leto hasn't been able to play for the reserves because of a problem with his paperwork/passport...they've kept that very quiet.

Were any of you aware of this?

I posted after the last reserve game, got no replies.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Leto hasn't played in ages. Apparantly it was mentioned during the last reserve match that he has hit a snag with his permit and cant play again till its sorted! Haven't seen anything official about this yet though.

Nunu wrote: »
    I posted after the last reserve game, got no replies.

aye, twas your post i saw it in, haven't seen it anywhere else, though it makes sense, also makes sense of why the club was looking to loan him to spain for the rest of the season, don't south americans get permits pretty easily to play in Spain or something?

How's the game looking anyway?

Liverpool deservedly 1 up

Not a great game, but as a Utd fan I'm more studying G. Neville than anything else:o...just waiting for him to pull up with some sort of muscle strain!

How's Agger looking? Hasn't collapsed in a heap with his foot halfway across the pitch yet?

No:D

Actually looking good. Not really tested yet but neat and tidy and has even got in the Utd box a couple of times.

Insua should be starting for the 1st team! His delivery is brilliant and he's got a great work-rate. He's gonna be Argentinas no.1 left back within 3 years! (random guess)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Saw some rumours during the xfer window about him possibly going back to South America as he's no eligible to play for us currently due to his visa status. No idea what truth there is to these and can't remember whether or not they were referring to loan or permanent moves.

Kewell scores to put liverpool 2-0 up. Just after Utd had a perfectly good goal disallowed I think.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Just after Utd had a perfectly good goal disallowed I think.

Another perfectly good goal disallowed. The offside one earlier should have stood also.

Thats Kewell's first in a looong time! Was it a decent goal?

Yeah very nice. Ran most of the pitch to get it aswell, and a tidy finish at the end.

Thats Kewell's first in a looong time! Was it a decent goal?

I think the last time he scored was in the reserves as well. The one before that was a penalty towards the end of last season. The one before that was that amazing volley the season before.

Hes not been scoring regularly over the past few seasons thats for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

hasn't been playing over the last few seasons too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Feck, wish id waited another week to move house. Dont get Sky until the weekend so am missing this game. Is it finished? Can someone tell me how Insua, Agger, Alonso and Nemeth did

Melion wrote: »
    Feck, wish id waited another week to move house. Dont get Sky until the weekend so am missing this game. Is it finished? Can someone tell me how Insua, Agger, Alonso and Nemeth did

I watched the first half closely but only threw an eye on the second as it wasnt a great game. Alonso was a bit of a mixed bag. Some good tackles and passes but also some messy passing. Looked a bit rusty to me but got man of the match so maybe he improved as the game went on. He scored the peno and gave a good pass to Kewell for the second goal.

Nemeth looked good. Won the peno when he went around Pique in the box. Didnt really do much wrong. Towards the end of the first half he took the ball down well in the box and turned on a defender but unfortunately put the ball over the bar.

Insua wasnt as involved as against Newcastle but still made tonnes of runs forward. Hes got some engine. He gave a nice pass to Nemeth for the penalty.

Agger didnt have loads to do but looked fine. Nice and neat & tidy. San Jose impressed me alot as well actually.

Thanks Tusky, surely its only a matter of time before Insua gets his game in the first team.

Melion wrote: »
    Thanks Tusky, surely its only a matter of time before Insua gets his game in the first team.

Indeed, next time Aurelio gets a knock i'd much prefer to see Insua come in then Riise. I suppose its probably been tough to play Insua this season alright though, with not having our first choice CB partnership available for most of the season.

• Advertisement

Indeed, next time Aurelio gets a knock i'd much prefer to see Insua come in then Riise. I suppose its probably been tough to play Insua this season alright though, with not having our first choice CB partnership available for most of the season.

Was thinking that myself. I think he's definitely pushed himself ahead of Riise for the LB spot if (when) Aurelio gets injured.

Any sign of Rafa or his number two at the match to see the goodness on offer?

Mike.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Rafa was at the match from the report on LFC website.
    It was the final chance of a bright first-half from the Reds and the watching Rafael Benitez will have been pleased with the display of Agger, who was a composed figure throughout his 45 minute appearance before being replaced by Martin Skrtel at half time.

DIC to buy Gilette's shares story #642
    Reports suggest Dubai International Capital are considering making an offer for George Gillett's half of Liverpool after being knocked back by co-owner Tom Hicks.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Hicks rejected speculation he was looking to offload his half of the Reds to DIC.

It is now reported that DIC are considering a move for Gillett's share of the Merseyside outfit, but it is also speculated that a percentage of Hicks' holding would be sought in order to gain a holding interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Yawn

Gerrard lets fly...

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3204482,00.html
    "We can't keep talking about next season all the time. There are only so many times you can say it and believe it. Sooner or later we have to make one season the season we make it happen and do the talking on the pitch.

"We need to make people believe it. I'm 27 now, I don't want to be talking about 'next season' for Liverpool when I'm 32.

"We've got the stadium, the fans, the manager and the players to compete for the Premier League. But we have no chance of doing that if we are always well out of it by the first week in January.

Thats completly true and everyone at the club can agree while they can belive the failure is not thiers!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

"We've got the stadium, the fans, the manager and the players to compete for the Premier League."

So Gerrard doesnt support Rafa!? well in Stevie lad.

I personally liked the next season remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

well said stevie...covered everything and didnt say too much on anything!
    a good rallying call.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement