Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

thats the first time that anything good has come out of G-Units mouth. hes bang right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

With Everton's away win at Man City, the battle for 4th place now looks something like this:
        Played
    Pts 26              27
    50                  Everton
    47  Liverpool       Aston Villa
    44                  Portsmouth, Man City
    42                  Blackburn
    40  West Ham

Liverpool away to Bolton, that's a 3 points target match.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Certainly should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Every game is a must win even then it could be goal difference that seperates Pool from Everton.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yes but that game isn not only a must win but a should win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Bout damn time. He said everything that needed to be said there. And despite claims against him he just stated that the club has the right manager. He is dead right. Never a better speech out of mr. gerrards mouth. Maybe his rallying cry can stir some passion and pride up at the club again it seems to have evaporated in the last few months. We need him him to speak out more often. URGE the players on. Give them the hunger. Dead Good Speech in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stevie G wrote:
    "We've got the stadium, the fans, the manager and the players to compete for the Premier League."
    er...no you don't, obviously.

Why is it obvious?

Because you haven't competed for the Premier League in over a decade.
    Jazzy wrote: »
    thats the first time that anything good has come out of G-Units mouth. hes bang right
    Incorrect.

It's all bluster to keep the fans onside, imo.

Liverpool aren't good enough to compete.

I'm not trolling, I'm stating a fact.

ManYoo have the players and manager to compete.
    Arsenal have the players and manager to compete.
    Chelsea have the players to compete.

Liverpool don't, that's why they aren't.

By the way, stadia and fans don't win leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DesF wrote: »
    er...no you don't, obviously.

Why is it obvious?

Because you haven't competed for the Premier League in over a decade.

Incorrect.

Liverpool aren't good enough to compete.

I'm not trolling, I'm stating a fact.

ManYoo have the players and manager to compete.
    Arsenal have the players and manager to compete.
    Chelsea have the players to compete.

Liverpool don't, that's why they aren't.

By the way, stadia and fans don't win leagues.

i think we know we dont have the players Des, just good to see stevie coming out fighting. he has been criticised for not doing it in the past.

ps. you are the devil. and Hunt is ugly.

DesF wrote: »
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    just good to see stevie coming out fighting. he has been criticised for not doing it in the past..
    :)

The rest of the responses to him in this thread bear this out aswell
    ps. you are the devil. and Hunt is ugly.
    Dude, say what you like about me, but leave Hunty out of this. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i was more talking about his "enough of talking about next season" lark

we are missing about 2/3 real quality players (namely wingers and a striker)... the type of players that win games instead of ineffectually attack with no end product (Kuyt, Babel, Crouch, Voronin)

bit harsh on Babel Jazzy, been very happy with him this year, just building his PL experience.

Babel is a super player tbh.

One of the better players at 'pool imo.

If he stays as good as he seems to be, he'll be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So what, you can get them in the summer, for next season?

Personally, I think this isn't about next season, it's about this season. He's saying that the players that they have are not performing well enough, and he's right. There's no reason why these players shouldn't be able to beat the bottom half of the table in every single match. They aren't performing well enough. Personally I think that's down to the manager, but next season talk is stupid. They have to perform now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Inter losing to Roma ATM

rattled by rafa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

1-1 zanetti in the 88th minute.
    Pity losing their unbeaten home record would have really rattled them i would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i'm getting very nervous about 4th spot. Everton don't look like losing at the minute. I really thought City would take something off them. Hopefully us beating them at Anfield will halt their momentum but i'd very much like them to drop some points before then.

Great to see Agger on the way back. We've missed him terribly. As far as i'm concerned the sooner him and Skrtel (granted i haven't seen too much of him, but i have liked what i've seen) are our first choice partnership the better. Carra hasn't been great this season and his passing has been woeful, his composure non-existent. Love him to bits and pieces though.

As far as i'm concerned the sooner him and Skrtel (granted i haven't seen too much of him, but i have liked what i've seen) are our first choice partnership the better. Carra hasn't been great this season and his passing has been woeful, his composure non-existent. Love him to bits and pieces though.

sorry but thats nonsense! Carra is still in our first choice back 2.

sorry but thats nonsense! Carra is still in our first choice back 2.

at the moment. But i would rate Agger as our first choice defender, and who wouldn't want Sktrel to show he can defend as well as Carragher, to go with his superior footballing skills and excellent pace, and replace him in the team. That can only be a good thing. And i think it will happen in the next year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

at the moment. But i would rate Agger as our first choice defender, and who wouldn't want Sktrel to show he can defend as well as Carragher, to go with his superior footballing skills and excellent pace, and replace him in the team. That can only be a good thing. And i think it will happen in the next year or so.

This is based on Sktrel playin all of 3 games and playing crap in one of them if i remember correctly.

Bit of a leap to say he will replace one of the top 5 defenders in the league within a year isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Carragher has a couple of weaknesses, not the fastest and not great at bringing the ball out but as a tackler and organiser of the defence he's the best we have. He will be a lot more composed and have to hoof the ball a lot less once he has Agger's pace and ability to bring the ball out of defence playing along side him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

^+1

Alot of carraghers problems this season have come about with Hyppia's lack of pace..he's constantly haveing to cover the run of 2 forwards and often is caught out of position as a result.
    bring in Agger or Skyrtle and Carra should be back to his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

prendy wrote: »
    ^+1

Alot of carraghers problems this season have come about with Hyppia's lack of pace..he's constantly haveing to cover the run of 2 forwards and often is caught out of position as a result.
    bring in Agger or Skyrtle and Carra should be back to his best.

+2 now, carra has done grand for what he has been asked to do this year considering that he has to do. Fair dues to hyypia for his services but he lacks the spot of pace we need. With skrtel and agger on the mend (hopefully!) we will add a bit of balance again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has aired his frustration over the side's continued failure to challenge for the Premier League title. The Reds are 17 points behind leaders Arsenal and have a fight to take fourth place for a Champions League spot.
    "I'm pretty gutted every time I look at the table and see the gap between us and Arsenal at the top," the 27-year-old told LFC magazine.
    "I'm getting tired of saying the same thing over and over again."
    Liverpool are still in the Champions League and hold a 2-0 lead over Inter Milan after the first leg of their last 16 tie.
    But they have again flattered to deceive in their quest to land the title for the first time since 1990 and are currently fifth in the top flight.

"We believed we had the players to challenge for the title, and we wanted that one more than any other trophy available to us," said Gerrard.
    "I still believe we have the squad to be a hell of a lot more competitive than we are right now."
    Gerrard believes the side has progressed with the signings of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel and has drawn hope from the example of Arsenal.
    The Gunners finished fourth last season but have launched a strong title assault in the present campaign.
    Liverpool have a difficult task on their hands to land the prized fourth spot with Everton, Aston Villa, Portsmouth and Manchester City all mounting serious challenges.
    "In the position we find ourselves now, fourth is the least that is acceptable," said midfielder Gerrard. "But we have bigger ambitions than that.
    "The only way we can fulfil those ambitions is in the Champions League.

"And I am not going to pretend that even winning that trophy - and we are a long way away from it at the moment - will make up for the disappointment of the league campaign."
    He added: "We can't keep talking about next season all the time. There are only so many times you can say it and believe it.
    "Sooner or later we have to make one season the season we make it happen and do the talking on the pitch.
    "We need to make people believe it. I'm 27 now, I don't want to be talking about 'next season' for Liverpool when I'm 32.
    "We've got the stadium, the fans, the manager and the players to compete for the Premier League.
    "But we have no chance of doing that if we are always well out of it by the first week in January."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7268410.stm

24 hours late :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Liverpool fans love news.

IrishMike wrote: »
    This is based on Sktrel playin all of 3 games and playing crap in one of them if i remember correctly.

Bit of a leap to say he will replace one of the top 5 defenders in the league within a year isnt it?

i think he's been very impressive, and wasn't as bad as the press made out against H&W.
    Hyypia has been our best central defender this season imo, Carra has been very patchy, and has been lucky not to give away more penalties than he has. That said, against big opposition there's no one i'd want in the team more than Carra, but in matches where we expect to dominate and keep the ball, he resorts to a hoof far to often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Talking of Carragher. I've just been hearing some news regarding our man which would be a tad unwelcome. I came on here hoping to find out some additional information but thankfully all is quiet. I'll pop back later to see if anything has been added?

Brando_ie wrote: »
    Talking of Carragher. I've just been hearing some news regarding our man which would be a tad unwelcome. I came on here hoping to find out some additional information but thankfully all is quiet. I'll pop back later to see if anything has been added?

what?

• Advertisement

what?

Perhaps nothing..... Just something posted on another forum but hasn't made it this far yet (which hopefully is an indication that it is all hot air). Actually my last post added nothing to this thread and should be ignored.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Can you a bit more cryptic please, I think one person might have a clue what you are talking about.

Sadly it isn't me.

Perhaps nothing..... Just something posted on another forum but hasn't made it this far yet (which hopefully is an indication that it is all hot air). Actually my last post added nothing to this thread and should be ignored.

why not just say it? It is a rumours thread after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

IrishMike wrote: »
    mike65 wrote: »
    24 hours late :)

Mike.

woops :o

Almost??????????????????????? :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Really don't know why you didn't just say it. Would have saved me the bother of searching.

Carragher arrested and cautioned for common assault apparently.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_headline=jamie-carragher-arrested-and-cautioned-for-common-assault%26method=full%26objectid=20536398%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Common assault is anything from spitting to shoving apparently, so all in all a storm in a teacup.

Sounds like some Toffee got in his face. I would not be too worried about it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Common assault is anything from spitting to shoving apparently, so all in all a storm in a teacup.
    Handbags.

• Advertisement

Phew. I heard about it last night but it was described as ' Carra arrested and charged for assaulting someone' and I guess I was interested in just finding out the severity of it?. In hindsight rumour thread or not, I should have not added anything to the thread without having a source to refer to and I did endeavor to get a mod to delete my posts. I am relieved that it isn't anything major and shall be more mindful in posting in the future. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

my god that masc deal is dragging out!
    at least it looks like being done soon!

prendy wrote: »
    my god that masc deal is dragging out!
    at least it looks like being done soon!

I know, typical us. No one on the liverpool board has any idea the urgency of the transfer market.

Phew. I heard about it last night but it was described as ' Carra arrested and charged for assaulting someone' and I guess I was interested in just finding out the severity of it?. In hindsight rumour thread or not, I should have not added anything to the thread without having a source to refer to and I did endeavor to get a mod to delete my posts. I am relieved that it isn't anything major and shall be more mindful in posting in the future. :o

hindsight's a fine thing.

A little silly from Jamie though, glad it's nothing serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Masch deal is said to be dragging on due to two things - some reports say the finance isn't 100% in place (all agreed, etc.. but cash not in accounts yet maybe ?) and also the uncertainty surrounding the ownership (Gillet/Hicks don't want to cough up if either/both are on the way out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Another hold-up could be the FA scrutinizing every word on the contract too, considering how much involvement they had in the loan deal to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Surely the FA would have figured it out by now, then again, surely the FA ... is always gona end badly.

What age is Carragher now, 30? Realistically, Rafa must be looking at long-term replacements for him at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

From sky sports website Link
    QUADRUPLE OF TREBLES
    Martin, Fernando Torres scored a Premier League hat-trick on Saturday against Middlesbrough. It is Liverpool's fourth hat-trick of the season with Torres scoring a League Cup hat-trick against Reading and Yossi Benayoun scoring a Champions League hat-trick against Besiktas and an FA Cup hat-trick against Havant. Steven Gerrard also scored an FA Cup hat-trick against Luton. Has any club ever scored hat-tricks in all four competitions in a season before? Andrew Barton

MARTIN SAYS: What a good shout Andrew! My trusty helpers at skysports.com have been busy scouring the record books and we think you are right - Liverpool are the first side to score hat-tricks in the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League in the same season. Even on all their European escapades since the Premier League began, Manchester United haven't managed it, and neither have Arsenal or Chelsea. In fact the closest we have found is the Tottenham Hotspur side of 1994-95 who netted hat-tricks in all three domestic competitions. Teddy Sheringham scored a hat-trick against Newcastle in the Premier League, Jurgen Klinsmann did it against Watford in the League Cup and Ronnie Rosenthal did it against Southampton in the FA Cup. But Spurs of course, were not in the Champions League - so Liverpool, thanks to Fernando Torres and Yossi Benayoun at least, are unique in that respect.

Another record breaking season!:) Interesting fact for the stattos.

Yay we're great! We're also fifth. :(

...to be continued.

Mike.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

...to be continued.

Mike.

yeah but Manchester united and chelsea havnt got that record we have....you cant buy class :D:D etc etc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement