Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What would you prefer, that meaningless record or to be 2nd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Meaningless? pfft.

Like Mike said, it means 'pool are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I wonder should we tell Stevie G, would he be happy...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I wonder should we tell Stevie G, would he be happy...?

if he'd scored one of them he would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

if he'd scored one of them he would be

he did..FA Cup against Luton.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    he did..FA Cup against Luton.

boy is my face red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

DesF wrote: »
    Meaningless? pfft.

Like Mike said, it means 'pool are great.
    Still waiting for that LOI team to be as great Des? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kaimera wrote: »
    Still waiting for that LOI team to be as great Des? :)
    *snaps*

Why are you trolling me? Whyyyyyyyy :confused:

boy is my face red.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Hicks saying not only has he got first option on Gillets share but he can also block Gillet from selling. The later is probably more a case that Hicks has a direct say in who Gillet can or cannot sell to rather than blocking Gillet from being able to sell. Surely no one would be dumb enough to enter into an agreement which they can't get out of if the other party doesn't want them to ?
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3210576,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

zing wrote: »
    Hicks saying not only has he got first option on Gillets share but he can also block Gillet from selling. The later is probably more a case that Hicks has a direct say in who Gillet can or cannot sell to rather than blocking Gillet from being able to sell. Surely no one would be dumb enough to enter into an agreement which they can't get out of if the other party doesn't want them to ?
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3210576,00.html

Surely nobody is dumb enough to invest hundreds of millions of pounds into something without guarantees that your partner can't screw you over.

Indeed your partner can't screw you over but you can screw them over all you want by not letting them exit from the agreement. As I said I would imagine they would have some sort of veto on who the other partner can sell to rather than a veto on the other partner being able to sell at all.

Wouldn't that be the same thing?

does anyone believe a word hicks says?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its probably more of a case of the agreement being in one wants out, he cant jump ship on his own.. so both have to agree to sell.

One thing ive noticed over the past while is that Gillett has been very quiet of late. Its mainly hicks denying stuff. I wonder if there even on speaking terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

GBX wrote: »
    Its probably more of a case of the agreement being in one wants out, he cant jump ship on his own.. so both have to agree to sell.

God only knows the exact contract details between them, but I'd have some doubts about one partner being able to completely block the other from selling. Think of it this way, lets say Gillette is having financial difficulties from other areas of his businesses, and so wants to raise money by selling his share of the club, Hicks could refuse to allow him to sell this share to anybody, and could refuse to buy Gillettes shares himself, until eventually Gillettes financial crisis means that the only way he can sell the shares is to sell to Hicks at way below their actual value.

To cover their ar$es, it makes more sense that their agreement states that if one partner wants out, he has to give the other partner first option on the shares, but if the shares aren't bought by the partner they then become available to the highest bidder, or alternatively if the other partner doesnt buy the shares, the entire club is put up for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

"So, I kind of have the ability to determine the outcome of what is going to happen, and I am right in the middle of that."

Does this not mean that they are currently negotiating with DIC for the sale of the club?

PHB: your saying that Hicks wouldnt be stupid enough to invest hundreds of millions without the guaruntee that he cant be screwed over.

surely applies to Gillette not entering into an agreement where he can be scerwed over too?

or do you only choose to believe things that have a negative effect on the club?

I suggest you read those 3 posts again, try and follow the logic in there, then come back with your claims about me not being able to see anything but negatives.

i was under the impression from the posts that you were saying Hicks wouldnt be stupid enough to invest if his partner could bail out, if i was wrong, apolgies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

You were wrong.

I can see no way that somebody who has made as much money as he has would sign up to something as restrictive as that would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I can see no way that somebody who has made as much money as he has would sign up to something as restrictive as that would be.

Doing some reading on this on different sites, and it seems most people are in agreement over it. Its just Hicks spreading more FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) for whatever reason. Maybe its to make himself out to be the hard nosed businessman, maybe its to try to jack up the price, maybe he just gets his rocks off jerking people about. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

GBX wrote: »
    One thing ive noticed over the past while is that Gillett has been very quiet of late. Its mainly hicks denying stuff. I wonder if there even on speaking terms.

Anyone here play Football Manager 2008?

If you play as Liverpool, the chairman is down as Gillete.
    (Hicks is only a director.)
    He's clasified as "loving the club, and having no intention of ever leaving!!!"

:D

Update on Masch from TB:
    With Mascherano being owned by the Media Sports Investment (MSI) consortium rather than a club, all details of the transfer are being checked meticulously.
    Looks like they're making sure that everything is above board with the deal - the right thing to do but it does seem to be taking a long time.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/02/29/rafa-benitez-praises-javier-mascherano-100252-20541235/

Are we buying him outright from the management company? Will we be able to sell him, for instance, or will we have to negotiate a fee with MSI if we wish to keep him beyond 4 years.

Are we buying him outright from the management company? Will we be able to sell him, for instance, or will we have to negotiate a fee with MSI if we wish to keep him beyond 4 years.

we're buying him outright, will own him fully. Good thing too as the FA are making 3rd party player ownership by companies illegal in the near future apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

and rightly so...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

Was at the Sunderland match recently. Mash was like a hare racing around the place. didn't think he was worth the kind of money thats being quoted until i seen him. he's like a little terrier around the place. well worth the money for the shifts he puts in. Kuyt is also hard working but no where near the same production

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Champs League Lottery is on.....

STRANGER IN MOSCOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Brando_ie wrote: »
    Champs League Lottery is on.....

STRANGER IN MOSCOW
    I was going to apply and I know now that we'll prolly make the final now that I haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just listening to the Guardian football weekly podcast and one of the guys revealed that it was suggested to Rafa that Paul Jewell be appointed his number 2 after Pako's departure, but Rafa apparently vetoed it. Wouldnt have been a bad move to be honest.

• Advertisement

In fairness, it would have been an awful move if Rafa didnt want him.

Think a number 2 would help Rafa a lot though.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In fairness, it would have been an awful move if Rafa didnt want him.

Think a number 2 would help Rafa a lot though.

Is that not effectively the role that Alex Miller (i think) plays now. He's always whispering in Rafa's ear during games like Pako used to.
    If he does bring in a number two hopefully it's someone the players really get on with like Pako. Perhaps Sammy Lee, next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Any news on a price?

evil_seed wrote: »

excellent news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Figures of 18 million are doing the rounds. Not quite sure how accurate they are. Then again, rumours that the 17 million include his wages seem a little far fetched.

Anyhow, tis good news anyway.

About the whole Hicks thing. It is interesting that he apparently doesn't mind DIC coming it but wants to maintain control over the running of the club, including management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

We got our argentinian stevie lol :D

Dead good signing...

Figures of 18 million are doing the rounds. Not quite sure how accurate they are. Then again, rumours that the 17 million include his wages seem a little far fetched.

i'd say it's far more far fetched that we agreed a fee of 17 million when he was rotting in the West Ham reserves. I think there's no way it's that high. But even if it is he's worth it. He's been fantastic this year, along with Torres and Gerrard (usually) during some pretty trying times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yay!

Mike.

• Advertisement

Excellent to have that one finalized at last! Was always a worry the longer it dragged on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

i'd say it's far more far fetched that we agreed a fee of 17 million when he was rotting in the West Ham reserves. I think there's no way it's that high. But even if it is he's worth it. He's been fantastic this year, along with Torres and Gerrard (usually) during some pretty trying times.

Well said.

He has at times been outstanding this season. Delighted its done and dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

now we just need to get torres to have a word with david villa and were set :P:D

stick-dan wrote: »
    now we just need to get torres to have a word with david villa and were set :P:D

Nah Aguero for me. And Ben Arfa looks the business as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Great news the deal has finally been done, whether tactically or not, hes keeping alonso out of the team, so hes obviously good, regardless of alonso form of late. Also the cover he has given our defence in the absence of agger/genuine pace has been a major factor in how the season isn't worse than it already is!
    Hopefully he keeps up his work rate and doesnt relax now he has earned his deal :) although he does seem like a genuine guy who just wants to play football. I think he will be massive for us in the next few seasons. (obviously not a completely outrageous prediction!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

stick-dan wrote: »

Jeez dont let Jazzy hear that. If he doesnt get his wingers soon he may very well explode:eek::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Very good news, and good news for the team too, he has been superb and a lot of the guys like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Great news!!.

Mascherano is a quality player, totally suited to the premiership and is still quite young. I'm delighted (now as long as he doesn't crack his eye socket open and turn into a lemon!!!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think you guys will like this.

There is a thread going in feedback saying Boards is the 34th busiest forum in the world.When you click on the tracking site and have a look this come out...

Latest active threads last week:Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Hot threads for last week:Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

YES!

Over the moon that Mascherano has signed. Along with Torres & Gerrard he has been our best player this season. Hes only 23 as well which means he will only get better. Absolutely chuffed and dont care about the price!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement