Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Quality news this.Our future club captain and the worlds best defensive midfielder.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Phil Thommo Thompson on Off the Ball right now!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Dubit10 wrote: »
    the worlds best defensive midfielder.:)

Ah now steady on. I know youre glad he's signed and all, but crikey....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Archimedes wrote: »

And that from the person who's sig proclaims Anderson to be some form of deity ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

great news. a quality quality player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Tusky wrote: »
    Absolutely chuffed and dont care about the price!

What amazes me is that people were actually complaining about 17m for him.If yis paid 30m for him it would still be a great signing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

d22ontour wrote: »
    What amazes me is that people were actually complaining about 17m for him.If yis paid 30m for him it would still be a great signing imo.

Agree. These type of players dont come cheap in todays market. The fact that he is an important member of the Argentinian national squad, is only 23 and is among the best in the world in his position says it all. Delighted with him.

[edit] Story on f365 saying that Rafa turned down 10 offers from various Seria A & La Liga clubs for Lucas Leiva.

Archimedes wrote: »

Who's better.Ah wait dont tell me

Hargreves
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Don't be stupid, it's gotta be Carrick..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads, this is stupid, it's Darren Gibson, the new Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Yeah, finally some good news, Mascherano deal is done and dusted.
    [edit] Story on f365 saying that Rafa turned down 10 offers from various Seria A & La Liga clubs for Lucas Leiva.

Aye, Rafa says same here. The last couple of games I've seen him in, I haven't been too impressed, say the same for Babel. But tis their debut seasons and they're young. Rafa has decided to give them games so fingers crossed they'll come good.

They are young and they got prospects of making it big time.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

lucas wat a player also......where are we gonna fit our top class midfielders??

Yes, Lucas certainly looks like a player alright. Him and Mascherano in the centre will be an interesting partnership in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

Brando_ie wrote: »
    Great news!!.

Mascherano is a quality player, totally suited to the premiership and is still quite young. I'm delighted (now as long as he doesn't crack his eye socket open and turn into a lemon!!!)

DON'T even think about tempting fate like that!!!! That lad was class b4 he got that boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

d22ontour wrote: »

Love the way you say 'yis'. obviously not a Liverpool fan but still saying the lad is class. I WAS one of the doubters of his value. Then I seen him in action in the flesh. Since I have been watching him closely, (well as close as a tv can let me) and WOW what a player. If Gerrard done half the running.........

Gerrard is to posh to push these days! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Delighted he signed. Earlier in the season I had a few doubts because I didn't think his distribution was great even though he was great at breaking up attacks. However in the last few months he's been brilliant in all ways. Well worth whatever the money is. Its nice to have a position we don't have to worry about improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

stick-dan wrote: »
    lucas wat a player also......where are we gonna fit our top class midfielders??

Lucas and top class midfielder should NOT be used in the same sentence.
    He has never played well in a game not to mention being called world class.
    Potential my arse, liam miller had loads of potential and look at him now.
    Im sorry but lucas for me just aint good enough and wont be.
    You either have vision and technique at his age or you dont and for me he doesnt.

Thing about young players is people always judge them on their last match, and if you did that, Lucas would be ****. Personally I like he's got that touch of class about him. Passes and moves in the classic Brazilian way. I still think he's at least 2 seasons away from being a very useful squad member, but I think he could eventually take over from Gerrard, not to the same level, but to a close level.

• Advertisement

IrishMike wrote: »
    You either have vision and technique at his age or you dont and for me he doesnt.

Silly silly post. Lucas hasnt played well in the last coupe of matches and hasnt done anything amazing in his Liverpool career (apart from that goal) but its plain to see that he should develop into a very good player.

:D:D:D:D Crazy guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Great to hear that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

zing wrote: »

Hope so, he has fantastic ball control and offers possibilities for knocking the ball down for others. Still think he has a lot to offer us, plus it could mean Dirk is more likely to be leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I'd like to see Crouch stay on. Has had his problems trying to score with his head, but has scored some crackers with his feet.
    We don't utilise his height enough ie.our crosses/corners/freekicks into the box this season has been pretty poor.

Crouch in Kuyt out!
    /ducks

It could merely be a ploy to boost his value of course.

Mike.

Realistically, one of them has to go to fund the moves for a better striker. I'd say Crouch would get more money because he's English, and the move is likely to be in England, while Kuyt would probably leave England.

Some reports that Hicks is looking to dilute his stake hold in the rest of his sports empire in order to take 100% control of Liverpool. Can't really believe he'd do this and that he's just digging his heals in to play hardball with DIC.
    http://www.anfieldroad.com/news/200803012885/report-hicks-may-dilute-rangers-stars-holding-to-hang-onto-reds.html/

• Advertisement

Crouch is our best striker after Torres. Should not be sold unless we absolutely need money from his sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Stoopid Arsenal.

This turning into a crappy day and Liverpool are not even playing! Bet City win :(

Mike.

Everton and Villa just don't seem to be giving up

1-1 ! YES! Come on Arsenal.

[edit] Spurs lost 4-1 to Birmingham!

A small mercy from a useless Arsenal, c'mon Wigan.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Er, did you forget that only Phil Neville's hand prevented him from a debut goal against Everton which wouldn't have been a bad achievement, not to mention his cracker of a goal against Havant & Waterlooville?

Would be good to see Sami stick around, great for the young lads too as he has a wealth of experience to share and even if he does not play much, will be good for them at training.

6000 posts! N00b! :p

Reading about Crouchies posible deal, he is on just 20k at the moment and is being offered 35k to be third choice in the prem.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Have to say I was surprised to read he was only on 20k.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    6000 posts! N00b! :p

Reading about Crouchies posible deal, he is on just 20k at the moment and is being offered 35k to be third choice in the prem.

Mike.

That must be hard to swallow what with Gerrard on 120,000, Carragher, Alonso & Torres on 90,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,301 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That must be hard to swallow what with Gerrard on 120,000, Carragher, Alonso & Torres on 90,000.

why? he clearly isnt as important or as valuable as them at this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Hyypia
    Aurelio

Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Alonso

Babel
    Kuyt
    Torres

Liverpool aren't a hugely cash rich club, and can't afford to offer Crouch huge wages. If I'm not mistaken, while the top wages at Liverpool are similar, the average squad player earns significantly less than he would at United or Chelsea. I'd imagine giving Crouch those wages would mess up their wage structure pretty badly.

That looks like such a nice attacking formation. If you had just one top class winger in there, it really would be something impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Im a fan of that 3 man midfield of Masch Gerrard Alonso. Assuming Kuyt and ?Bbael are playign as wingers with Gerrard playign through the middle. Cant see any other way it could be set up with those players.

Thumbs up from me.

i don't know why these tools on Setanta are scratching their heads over our formation - it's the one of used in our last 5 or so games. Obviously not doing their homework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Hyypia
    Aurelio

Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Alonso

Babel
    Kuyt
    Torres

Interesting..
    Either;
    Reina
    Carra--Skrtel--Hypia--Aurelio
    Mascherano--Alonso---
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Torres

or maybe;

Reina
    ---Skrtel--Carra--Hypia
    Masch
    Babel-Gerrard-Alonso--Aurelio
    Kuyt--Torres

Stekelly wrote: »
    Im a fan of that 3 man midfield of Masch Gerrard Alonso. Assuming Kuyt and ?Bbael are playign as wingers with Gerrard playign through the middle. Cant see any other way it could be set up with those players.

Thumbs up from me.

I agree. I think it's our best formation. Torres is perfectly suited to playing up front on his own. We just need top class wing-forwards. Babel can be one in a couple of years i think, though he's hit and miss now. Kuyt certainly isn't

Reina
    Carra Hyypia Skrtel Aurelio
    Alonso Masch
    Kuyt---Gerrard----Babel
    Torres

I'd say.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. Kuyt certainly isn't

He sems to be the only player we have that can beat the frist man with a cross at the minute hough.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement