Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As I did'nt see or hear this one (uncle duties), how did we play overall? Was Torres having an off day or was it just case of others getting thier slice of the action for a change.

Bollox Toffees up again.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mike65 wrote: »
    As I did'nt see or hear this one (uncle duties), how did we play overall? Was Torres having an off day or was it just case of others getting thier slice of the action for a change.

Bollox Toffees up again.

Mike.

First half was quite scrappy and they almost scored a few times. Diuf hit the bar with a free kick and Reina made a great reflex save on the line. We were fortunate with the own goal and it meant that they had to attack. Once this happened we began to control the game making a number of effective counter attacks through Babel & Gerrard. Babel beat his man on a number of occasions and got a couple of good shots on target.

In the second half it was all Liverpool. Controlled the tempo and kept the ball for long periods. Babel again looked dangerous. Kuyt hit the post and it came back out to Babel who scored with a lovely clinical finish. Babel seemed to lose interest in the game after he scored, or perhaps he just got tired. Gerrard had so much room during the game. He basically dictated all of our attacks.We ended the game with Carragher, Skrtle, Hyypia, Riise, Aurelio & Arbeloa on the pitch. 6 defenders!

Biggest annoyance for me was the fact that our ineptitude with corners continued. We had about 12 during the game..

In regards to Benitez's new signings.

Torres - 21 goals
    Babel - 8 goals
    Benayoun - 10 goals
    Voronin - 6 goals ?
    Lucas - 1 goal

Total : 46 goals

Yep they are pretty crap! :p

Does the Agger/Skertel partnership look like a keeper? Two ball-playing CBs sounds good.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No ground made up today anyway, Everton equaling our 3-1.

Vital we get the 3 points against WestHam now.

Really wish we'd gone in for Yakubu to partner Torres during the summer.Still so young and always done the business in the premiership.

<edit> We've yet to see Agger and Skrtel play together. Today was Skrtel and Hypia. I still think the main partnership for the next 2 years is gonna be Agger and Carra with Skrtel giving both breaks till he eventually steps into Carra's position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Out of a total of?
    Who got the others?

PHB wrote: »
    Out of a total of?
    Who got the others?

Off the top of my head.

Aurelio -1
    Alonso - 2
    Gerrard - 18
    Kuyt - 8 (roughly)
    Crouch - 9 (roughly)
    Hyypia - 2

Something along those lines.

Re Skrtel/Agger Doh! :o I forgot Hyypia was in todays line-up.

Fernando Torres
    Steven Gerrard
    17 (thanks Tusky)
    Yossi Benayoun
    Dirk Kuyt
    Ryan Babel
    Peter Crouch
    Andriy Voronin
    Sami Hyypia
    Xabi Alonso
    Momo Sissoko
    Lucas Leiva
    Fabio Aurelio
    N El Zhar
    own goals

I think thats right.

Mike.

Just checked. Gerrard has 17.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

so 20 goals were scored by players benitez has not signed

Thats 89 goals so far over 43 games or 2 goals per game average. I'd say Man Utd must be on 3.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Decent performance. Three wins on the trot now. Need to keep winning of course.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Decent performance. Three wins on the trot now. Need to keep winning of course.

True but things are finally starting to look a bit more up. We haven't put 3 or more wins together since the end of november/start of december (last win of the run was 2nd december for the 4th in a row). Thats shocking going this season. If we can get the remaining 2 wins before the inter game then at least we have a platform to finish the season off from. Also shows that Rafa hasn't lost the team and that the consistency of team selection and formation selection is paying off which may be the thing we need to convince rafa to stick with it for next season with only minor changes when necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Everton's remaining Premiership Matches

Sunderland v Everton

Fulham v Everton

Everton v West Ham

Liverpool v Everton

Everton v Derby

Birmingham v Everton

Everton v Chelsea

Everton v Aston Villa

Arsenal v Everton

Everton V Newcastle

5 home
    5 Away

Liverpool's remaining Premiership matches

Liverpool v West Ham

Liverpool v Newcastle

Liverpool v Reading

Man U v Liverpool

Liverpool v Everton

Arsenal v Liverpool

Liverpool v Blackburn

Fulham v Liverpool

Birmingham v Liverpool

Liverpool v Man City

Spurs v Liverpool

6 Home
    5 Away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The-Rigger wrote: »

Man U v Liverpool

Liverpool v Everton

Arsenal v Liverpool

Liverpool v Blackburn

Thats an important and difficult few weeks.

Yea, hopefully we can pick up good points before that in our next 3 home matches and Everton drop the ball in their next few matches, 2/3 of which are away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yes they are away but they are relatively easy ties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Man U v Liverpool

Liverpool v Everton

Arsenal v Liverpool

Liverpool v Blackburn

[/I]

What's more, if we get past Inter, we've a CL quarter final bookending the Arsenal match. Probably a double header with Chelsea, we haven't played them twice yet this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

oobydooby wrote: »
    What's more, if we get past Inter, we've a CL quarter final bookending the Arsenal match. Probably a double header with Chelsea, we haven't played them twice yet this campaign.
    I think we have. Both draws. Or are you talking about in the cl ?

I was pondering the above earlier, if Pool get dumped out of the CL at quarter-final stage
    4th is most likely, if we make it to the final I worry we'll have to win it to play next season. Although if that happened and Everton finished 4th - you would hear the laughter from wherever you are! ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

mike65 wrote: »
    I was pondering the above earlier, if Pool get dumped out of the CL at quarter-final stage
    4th is most likely, if we make it to the final I worry we'll have to win it to play next season. Although if that happened and Everton finished 4th - you would hear the laughter from wherever you are! ;)

Mike.

Not too sure about that. Everton will have a good run in the UEFA cup as well. Also I think these big games can bring the best out of us. The team has looked much more positive since the Inter result. Okay we've been very lucky in a lot of the games but from a fan's point of view, (mine), a battle for fourth alone would not be morale boosting, however the players might feel about it.

Also Thanx, yes I meant the CL campaign. I fancy Chelsea to win that this year, despite it being a bit of a lottery. They've been very close to winning it each of the last five years and it's the one they really want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Call_me_al wrote: »
    rumour has it that Rafa has been offered a new deal, anyone hear that anywhere?

There's been rumours about this over the weekend alright. Rafa has always said he wants to stay and repeated this the other day when asked about it again. The whole new contract thing could be journos equating Rafa saying he wants to stay and him saying that he's getting on well with Hicks and has his support to Rafa's in talks about a new contract. The reports suggest Rafa sees Hicks gaining control of the club as key to his own long term future so is aligning himself with Hicks to help secure his position. He wouldn't be too far off the mark there though - if Hicks does take 100% control of the club he's highly unlikely to be able to afford to sack Rafa & bring in a new manager of equal or better quality.

Anyone else notice this week was the first time in long time that we've seen any indication of long term planning from Anfield. Firstly Masch being signed, then reports that both Hypia & Crouch getting new deals and finally the whole maybe Rafa's getting a new deal too thing. And if you believe the Sunday People the Prem League are lining up Coco to replace Scudamore - a move that also has to equate to long term forwarding planning at Anfield.

So Liverpool will be playing a 39th game even if no-one else does :p

Mike.

zing wrote: »

And if you believe the Sunday People the Prem League are lining up Coco to replace Scudamore - a move that also has to equate to long term forwarding planning at Anfield.

hmmm, this has me lost, can someone explain it for the ill-informed?

I think "Coco" (the clown i imagine) is a reference to Parry, who has been tipped to replace scudamore.
    link; http://www.lfconline.com/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=380384
    The Premier League have made an approach for Rick Parry.
    Sources at the Premier League claim Liverpool Chief Executive Rick Parry has been sounded about about replacing the unpopular Richard Scudamore says today's People newspaper.

Scudamore's position has been shaky since his plans for a 39th Premiership game to be played abroad were criticised by almost everyone involved in football.

Rick Parry was the Premier League's chief executive at it's foundation in 1993 and could favour a return to his old job although it is said he wants to secure Liverpool's future first.

So obviously he'd be needing to be replaced at Anfield, though this recent link doesn't change much as Parry always seemed to be on the way out sooner or later, initially with Foster Gilette being the replacement, though this seems to have totally fallen apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

As ~Rebel~ said

• Advertisement

That would be great, we need rid of Parry, he is dreadful.
    Hopefully we get someone competent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Interesting interview with Rafa :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrVWk3hi8c4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sizzler wrote: »
    Interesting interview with Rafa :)
    "Let me out of the horsebox" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They'd be mad to offer a contract extension to Rafa before the end of the season, if they come 5th or below, and go out of the CL, they'll be left with a huge pay off when they get rid of him.

In conspiracy mode, I was thinking this could be another Hicks brainchild. If Hicks for instance knew DIC didn't want Rafa, then giving Rafa a new contract might put them off buying in as it adds to their potential costs, but not his own (as he's obviously happy to hang onto him). I dont think his interests particularly lie in liverpool being successful, just staying up where they are, consistently playing champions league, which Rafa is mroe then capable of getting. If he does more, then, bonus. Pool for him will be worth more once the stadium is completed and starting to generate more income, then if he wants to he can get out with a bigger profit.

On the other hand, if DIC DO want Rafa then this could be Hicks assuring a long term asset and thus raising his price if he were to sell...the first is the more likely though i think, he really seems to be digging his heels in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Unless they erm... are true to their word and do have faith in Rafa.

Oh wait.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Bob Paisley Cup

I just want to give you lot a heads up,Irishkop are putting together a 5 a side tournament the 'Bob Paisley Cup' to be played in the coming weeks in Dublin.A group of fans are trying to get the funds together to build a Bob Paisley memorial in his home town.

This tournament is our way of raising a few bob and having a good day out with fellow Liverpool Fans.If you wan to hear more about the push Bob Paisley memorial and how it came about have a look at this interview from LFC.tv (irishkop even gets a mention)

Bob Paisley memorial interview on LFC.TV

So if you think you can get a team together or even just fancy coming along for a few beers let me know,I will post back when I have more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I was pleased enough with the win over Bolton over the weekend. That sets us up nicely for the game with West Ham, hopefully.

We played a 4-2-3-1:

Reina
    Carragher - Skrtel - Hyypia - Aurelio
    Mascherano - Alonso
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Torres

Carra again at right back, although I am not in favour of it. He can certainly do am okay job there but Finnan at RB and Carra at CB is clearly a better combo.

I thought Alonso did well, and his pairing with Mascherano was solid. Gerrard was very far forward and didnt have to do any defensive duties. Torres I thought wasnt his best and didnt get a wonder strike. I suppose we cant expect that in every match. I think it is more effective if he has a fellow striker up with him.

Babel was the legs going forward, and he did well, although if he can develop a left foot threat at all it will more than double his potency. Kuyt was more right midfield than any offering any type of threat, but he cant be our best choice for right midfield surely? Surely Pennant on the right is better, or Babel right and Benayoun left or vice versa. Rafa "wants Dirk's babies" or something, for fielding him so much. It is uncanny. I would certainly have it different. Skrtel was just okay.

Liverpool had a few worrying moments. Things may have been different, but the result was a fair one. Weakness shown by Reina in dead ball situations and crosses, the zonal defence did not work out well at all and was risky.

All a good days work thogh, except that Everton also won.

The race for 4th is now:
       P27          P28
    53              Everton 
    50 Liverpool 
    48              Aston Villa 
    45              Blackburn, Man City
    44              Portsmouth

A win against West Ham will be an important one, and a good display as well should help keep momentum going and build on some additional confidence.

Goalkeepers
    A general question on our goalkeeping personnel, Carson is due to sign for Villa at the season end, but from what I've seen of Itandje he is not good enough. I have not seen enough of Martin to judge. So, a new sigining is likely I would expect. But can we get anyone as good as Carson for the same money? I dont think it will be easy.

Redspider

Wayne Hennessey would be a good buy - he's been exellent for Wolves and set a clean sheet record for Stockport Co when on loan last season.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Problem is, keepers as good as Carson are too good to rot on the bench and play Carling Cup football for half a season. I'm still amazed to this day that Cudicini is still at Chelsea, for example.

Our keeper on loan Nikolay Mihaylov is meant to be pretty good.

This is his bird as well, Miss Playmate 2006, Nikoleta Lozanova.
    www.fashion.bg/gun_image/Nikoll_300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

spockety wrote: »
    Problem is, keepers as good as Carson are too good to rot on the bench and play Carling Cup football for half a season. I'm still amazed to this day that Cudicini is still at Chelsea, for example.

Its true that its hard to keep 2 good keepers at a club, but it is possible with a reasonable rotation policy and money. Also, for teams at the top, it is essential to have good cover in the keeper position, as injuries can and do occur. Liverpool at the moment I feel are open to a problem should Reina get a serious injury. What keeps keepers (pardon the pun) at clubs is money, and the chance to play a reasonable part, as well as the chance perhaps to fulfill the latter years of their career. Van Der Sar is doing well in that regard, and Lehman was until recently, and there are other examples.

Overall, I dont think Reina is a 'perfect' keeper, none of them are, and he has a number of frailities. With the selling of Carson, and with Itandje not looking like a solid backup, we will have to dip in the market. Perhaps an 'old fogey' type of purchase is just what we need.

Does anyone know how many times Dudek has played for Real Madrid this season?

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

redspider wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many times Dudek has played for Real Madrid this season?
    0 in the league, 0 in Europe, 4 times (conceding 5) in the King's Cup according to the Real website.

Decent piece from Tomkins here; http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG159032080303-1015.htm

Its the usual quite rose tinted article, but still a good read.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Given the abundance of pessimists, Paul Tomkins truly stands alone as the optimistic voice... his positive skew on things shouldn't be held against him imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Where's the manc who was slagging off babel on here few days back

there were a few pool fans doubting him too

there is no doubt he will become a 'top, top player' as jamie would call him. He has pace and bags of skill, but his decision making is a bit suss. But then again, what age is he, 20? that will come with more experience. he has some power in his shots too, with not much backlift.

pool did quite well, looks like the battle for 4th will go to the wire

redspider wrote: »
    Its true that its hard to keep 2 good keepers at a club, but it is possible with a reasonable rotation policy and money.

I'm not a fan of rotation involving goalkeepers in any way. Goalkeeping is very much a confidence position and they should never be dropped if on form, possibly with the exception of Carling cup games here and there. Paying big money to a very goal goalkeeper who quite likely will not see a league game from one end fo the season to teh next isnt desirable either.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Bob Paisley Cup

I just want to give you lot a heads up,Irishkop are putting together a 5 a side tournament the 'Bob Paisley Cup' to be played in the coming weeks in Dublin.A group of fans are trying to get the funds together to build a Bob Paisley memorial in his home town.

This tournament is our way of raising a few bob and having a good day out with fellow Liverpool Fans.If you wan to hear more about the push Bob Paisley memorial and how it came about have a look at this interview from LFC.tv (irishkop even gets a mention)

Bob Paisley memorial interview on LFC.TV

So if you think you can get a team together or even just fancy coming along for a few beers let me know,I will post back when I have more info.

I'd be very interested in this. Maybe a few lads from this thread might be interested in putting a team in. We can have a laugh and raise a few quid so standard isnt really an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mike can be the manager

i'll be his Pako

You dirty* fecker! Have you no self respect?! :eek: :p

Mike.

*well it sounds durty to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icliverpool/jul2007/6/9/0787608D-0E8C-5647-6E78F7AEEA78FA07.jpg

actually looks like me, if you take out the whole, olive skin, middle aged, bald head thing ;)

I'd never pass for a Spanish waiter! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in this. Maybe a few lads from this thread might be interested in putting a team in. We can have a laugh and raise a few quid so standard isnt really an issue.

Yup, count me in, tis a good cause.

Any other lads interested ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I haven't played in donkey's and I am not very fit but tis for a good cause so count me in if you like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Want me to ask some of the lads tomorrow night?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement