Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i'd be up for playing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Here Rosser....I tried to do the survey in yer sig, but it's closed or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I might be interested but it would entirely depend on the dates/times of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

DesF wrote: »
    Here Rosser....I tried to do the survey in yer sig, but it's closed or something.

well Des, i had to close the survey over the weekend so sorry about that, but thanks anyway! probably should update my sig...

edit: done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i could get a team that can play night except friday.

good cause and all.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

spockety wrote: »
    Given the abundance of pessimists, Paul Tomkins truly stands alone as the optimistic voice... his positive skew on things shouldn't be held against him imho.

hey spockety. I remember that name from. .tv!

Tomkins annoys the bejaaaaasus out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Have the dice been cast then ?

Ollie Kay suggests DIC have made a formal offer of 400m for the club but that Hicks may have secured enough investment in his sports group to be able to buy Gillet out. If there's truth in the article things could unfold very quickly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3479591.ece

Please George - do the decent thing and tell Hicks to f$^# off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zing wrote: »
    Have the dice been cast then ?

Ollie Kay suggests DIC have made a formal offer of 400m for the club but that Hicks may have secured enough investment in his sports group to be able to buy Gillet out. If there's truth in the article things could unfold very quickly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3479591.ece

Please George - do the decent thing and tell Hicks to f$^# off

die. :)

Yay, Another "DIC deal imminent" rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yay, Another "DIC deal imminent" rumour

Yeah I know, but combine it with Bascombe's article yesterday, and it seems the club is completely at war with itself. So as much as I hate Hicks, and hope he f**ks off back home, I just hope its decided one way or another asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dub13 is the tournament going to be a one day affair type of thing or will it be over a few weeks? If its one day i'd be tempted to venture up to Dublin to play! Ill most likely be leaving the country for a few months around the 20th of March though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

'What is known is that Gillett’s departure would be welcomed by Rafael Benítez, the manager, who views him, rather than Hicks, as the greatest threat to his future at Anfield'

That's a bit of a surprise.

The-Rigger wrote: »

'What is known is that Gillett’s departure would be welcomed by Rafael Benítez, the manager, who views him, rather than Hicks, as the greatest threat to his future at Anfield'

That's a bit of a surprise.

Who knows any more though what the exact state of play is with leaks and spin coming from all sides. Could be Hicks trying to make himself out to be the good guy so that he isn't run out of town and might actually be safe enough to go and watch a game at a club he's risking nearly everything on. Could be Rafa trying to keep his job by brown nosing his potential new boss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'd be very interested in this. Maybe a few lads from this thread might be interested in putting a team in. We can have a laugh and raise a few quid so standard isnt really an issue.

This would be super....it will be a good day and all for a good cause.You don't have to be a Liverpool fan to enter so if you know any teams who would interested let us know.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Dub13 is the tournament going to be a one day affair type of thing or will it be over a few weeks? If its one day i'd be tempted to venture up to Dublin to play! Ill most likely be leaving the country for a few months around the 20th of March though..

Its going to be a one day event,run on a Champions league kind of format so all teams will be guaranteed at least 3 games.We are putting together a few more detail's I will get back to you when I have more info.

Don't worry about the standard you should see the Mod team from Irishkop....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/

Liverpool's American owners have been accused of living in "dreamland" by the government-run Dubai investment fund interested in buying the Anfield club.
    Dubai Investment Capital confirmed on Tuesday it had been in talks with US duo Tom Hicks and George Gillett about purchasing a stake in the Reds.

DIC chief executive Sameer al-Ansari said: "It's no secret that we have been in discussions with the current owners.

"It's not easy because (they) are in dreamland about valuations."

Al-Ansari later clarified that one of the club's owners "had come out of dreamland", without giving further details.

Texan billionaire Hicks said last month he was not planning to sell a stake in Liverpool, denying media speculation he was in talks with DIC over a sale.

He also revealed that Gillett could not sell his stake in the Premier League club without his approval.

However, both Hicks and Gillett have become increasingly unpopular among Reds fans, drawing criticism for their treatment of manager Rafael Benitez and their financial management of the club.

That has given fresh hope to DIC, who were considering buying Liverpool before the Americans joined forces to complete their own takeover in February 2007.

Hicks said in January he had talked to DIC "once" about a 10-15% stake, but DIC said the valuation was too high.

DIC are thought to want a controlling stake at Anfield, meaning they would need to convince Hicks to relinquish part of his 50% of the club as well as buying out Gillett.

Another obstacle is the refinancing package announced on 25 January that has loaded £105m of debt on to the club.

Of that, £60m is earmarked to kick-start the new stadium development at Stanley Park plus £45m for future player transfers and to meet the club's working capital needs.

DIC, which manages about £6.5bn of assets, is owned by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai.

Al-Ansari was the man behind the takeover bid a year ago and looked to have succeeded until then Liverpool owner David Moores suddenly opted to sell to the Americans.

"It took me two weeks to get over that," said al-Ansari, who is a Liverpool fan. "But it didn't dent my passion - I still go to every match when I'm here."

Yay, Another "DIC deal imminent" rumour.

Yeah but overnight things seemed to have moved on a bit from rumours, rumours about talks and talks about rumours. Just about every paper media source is carrying the story today that DIC have confirmed that they are in talks with Gillet & Hicks and that Gillet seems to have come down from cloud cuckoo land over the valuation of the club. What was interesting from Kay's article is that the 400m offer was supposedly made last Wed but hasn't been rejected yet - of course it hasn't been accepted yet but it would suggest that it is being considered at least.

Will be interesting to see if Tony Barrett has anything to say on the subject today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

well i hope it gets sorted soon...all this uncertainty over the ownership is not good for the club.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

At this stage i am just sick to death of all the rumours etc...I just want this to be over and let the team move on.At this rate it will run into next season:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have been staying out of discussions on the sale of the club because up to this point it has been rumour after rumour after rumour. But this week marks a turning point.

Firstly, Hicks has come out and said that Gillet cant sell witout him. This confirms that A) Gillet is in talks to sell and B) his relations with Hicks have soured.

Also, this is the first time DIC have come out and said they are in talks. Interesting, yet troubling times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We're a joke at this stage with all this investment/takeover crap.

Really disheartening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agreed Tusky, if there was nothing to say then Al Ansari would not have initiated an interview on Sky Sports. The time is near I think.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Just on Sky news channel. D.I.C. make offical 400 million pound offer for the club.It will be withdrawn by the days end if not accepted.Fingers crossed.

Yikes!

Echo story
    DUBAI Investment Capital has made a £400m offer to buy Liverpool Football Club and has given current owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett until midnight to accept or they will walk away from the negotiating table.

The ECHO understands the bid would allow Hicks and Gillett to walk away with a profit of £25m each.

The offer follows weeks of talks between DIC and the Americans which have now come to a head with the Dubai-based consortium now looking for the ongoing saga to be brought to a swift conclusion.

Bluff or is this it?

Mike.

Fookin D-day:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Just on Sky news channel. D.I.C. make offical 400 million pound offer for the club.It will be withdrawn by the days end if not accepted.Fingers crossed.

i hope it is accepted. And please keep Rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I hope they take it, and I like the ruthlessness of the take it or leave it aspect.

But I fear that it won't go through...

i hope it is accepted. And please keep Rafa

I agree.Keeping rafa is key here.Otherwise they can shove it where the sun dont shine.Imagine what he could do if he had similar funds to Man utd or chelsea:)

What would 'pool fans think if DIC came in and the first thing they did was sack Rafa?

More protests?

What would 'pool fans think if DIC came in and the first thing they did was sack Rafa?

More protests?

I'd be very annoyed.

I do think they'd give him a year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

More protests?

doubt it.

is this "24 hrs-take it or leave it" for real? or is Sky adding it in with "Sky Sports believe" in order to heighten the drama?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dunno if its for real, but it would be in keeping with how they have dealt with Liverpool to date. Gave a deadline for Moores to reconsider changing to G&H and pulled out a year ago too. If they do pull out dont they have to wait 9 months or something before they're legally allowed to bid again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

More protests?

Firstly this is great news that they have formally made a bid. I cant see how G&H can turn this down. 25m profit in1 year having spent next to nothing out of their own already substantial fortune is incredible.

If they are successful in their bid for the club I doubt they would sack Rafa straight away. The club needs stability. The off the field actions have seriously disrupted what started out as such a promising season for the Pool.

D day indeed. Sounds like DIC are trying to call Hicks bluff as to whether or not he has the money he needs to buy out Gillet. What's worrying is the last time the issued ultimatums in relation to LFC it back fired and we ended up with these two muppets in charge.

This article by David Prentice appeared on the echo site an hour or so ago
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/03/04/dic-bid-400m-to-buy-reds-100252-20554810/
    Funnily enough it's word for word identical to this World Exclusive by Tony Barrett which just appeared on the site in the last few mins:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/03/04/dubai-s-dic-make-400m-bid-for-liverpool-fc-100252-20554723/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Bob Paisley Cup

Venue to be confirmed hopefully by the end of the week
    Date To be comfirmed again it is looking like the 26th April but this could change
    Times to be confirmed once we have teams finalised

Irishkop are proud to be supporting our fellow Reds on www.onthekop.com and there initiative to raise funds to build a memorial to honour Bob Paisley in his home town of Hetton-le-Hole.

As a way of raising money we are going to hold a 5 a side tournament called The Bob Paisley Cup and we are looking for your support.

Those looking to enter a team the following applies

*Team to consist of a minimum of 5 players plus subs
    *There will be a round robin group stage followed by knockout semi-finals and final. Each team will play a minimum of 3 matches.
    *Anyone who wants to take part but cannot put a full team together we still want you to put your name down and we can organise you into teams
    *This is not restricted to members you can ask mates to take part we want to raise as much as we can.
    *The cost to enter will be €20 per Player
    *All monies must be paid in advance. Please PM Dub13 for payment details
    *When applying please send details of the team consisting of names of other players and how many
    *If you have no team and you want us to organise you into a team please state clearly that you have no team
    *Entry & payments must be in before Friday 11th April that means it has to reach our account on this date.
    *General 5 aside rules will apply

Please don't use this thread as discussion on your football skills but if you have a question that needs answering post it up and if we can answer it we will.

We also would like volunteers to help out with whatever they can & if anyone has contacts in any of the astroparks or other astro turf pitches that can get us a good rate would mean more money going to the fund.

So dust off those astro turf runners and get in here

We might not be able to give you a knighthood Bob but we sure as hell are going to give you a memorial that you well deserve.

Lads this is your club and Paisley along with Shanks are the 2 greatest managers we ever had lets put Bob up their in his rightful place as a true legend of Liverpool FC. Any help at all will go a long way to achieving our goal as Ian said in the video its a fan initiative and its only us as fans that can make it work.

Thanks from All the Mods & organisers on Irishkop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This story makes some sense, so maybe its true.

I don't think Rafa's job is safe, even if DIC come in. They will make a business choice, the fans being annoyed at them doesn't matter, as the fans have no power over them. If they rate Rafa they will keep them, if they don't, they won't.

Still, imo DIC without Rafa is better than G&H with Rafa, because you get rid of the debt, which is the most important issue at Liverpool right now

PHB wrote: »
    Still, imo DIC without Rafa is better than G&H with Rafa, because you get rid of the debt, which is the most important issue at Liverpool right now

Absolutely bang on the mark.

• Advertisement

i think Rafa has to get fourth though for his position to be safe. If he does that, i think he'll be given more time.

Yeh, like realistically, if Rafa doesn't get 4th, (barring a CL win) he deserves to be fired, and either G&H or DIC will do that.

I'm slightly surprised they didn't change the date till tomorrow midnight. I'd imagine the crowd at the West Ham game would have something to say to Mr Hicks/Gillette over whether they should sell or not. Would have ensured a brilliant atmosphere as well.

I reckon Rafa is safe with DIC at least until the end of his contract.

But as PHB said, DIC + No Rafa is better than G&H + Rafa

Stky10 wrote: »
    I'm slightly surprised they didn't change the date till tomorrow midnight. I'd imagine the crowd at the West Ham game would have something to say to Mr Hicks/Gillette over whether they should sell or not. Would have ensured a brilliant atmosphere as well.

Because the fans have no influence on G&H whatsoever :) It's not a nice fact, but the fans can't influence anything unless they are willing to stop going to matches.

• Advertisement

wasnt Rafa due to get the sack until the fans protest?

Mr Alan wrote: »

certainly looked that way. I think it certainly bought him enough time to sort things out with the owners.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It's absolute bolloxology to think that G&H went back on a decision just because of a fans protest.

Absolute bollox.

Because the fans have no influence on G&H whatsoever :) It's not a nice fact, but the fans can't influence anything unless they are willing to stop going to matches.

True in lots of respects, but 45k in unison together telling him to get the hell out might have been enough to make his mind up if he was wavering over a decision.

The way it is at present, I can't see it being accepted, but who knows whats been going on behind the scenes, and how desperate the yanks are.

I fear easy money won't be enough for Hicks.

DIC have just denied there is a 24 deadline.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Not strictly true. The fans have (up till now at least) been instrumental in Rafa still being there. Lets hope the DIC offer is accepted and all this instability can finally be put to bed. It's having a huge detrimental affect on the team/club.

Hobart wrote: »
    The fans have (up till now at least) been instrumental in Rafa still being there.
    Delusional poppycock.

The owners don't care what the fans think.

Why the fúck should they?

They will fill Anfield with daytrippers til the cows come home, it's all the same money to them.

How in any way could G&H's decision have been inlfuenced by fans support for Rafa?
    How does the fans being annoyed at Rafa being fired effect G&H in any way?

Ok Des, maybe its bolloxology, but the facts are that, they were going to sack him, they had started sounding out replacements, the fans protested, he's still in a job.

I'm sure results in the CL were a factor but the fans, undeniably imo, were too. Lets not be so cynical all the time.

mike65 wrote: »
    I fear easy money won't be enough for Hicks.

I do too :(
    mike65 wrote: »
    DIC have just denied there is a 24 deadline.

Mike.

got a link Mike?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement