Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am happy to announce that Astropark Tallaght have given sponsorship to this event by way of giving us use of some pitches on the date A very kind gesture indeed. So its all systems go who will be doing this please post up if you are seriously willing to take part remember the following

6 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS 1975-76, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1982-83

3 EUROPEAN CUPS 1976-77, 1977-78, 1980-81

3 LEAGUE CUPS 1980-81, 1981-82, 1982-83

1 UEFA CUP 1975-76

1 EUROPEAN SUPER CUP 1976-77

5 CHARITY SHIELDS 1974, 1976, 1977 (shared), 1980, 1982

6 MANAGER OF THE YEAR AWARDS 1975-76, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1982-83

All in the space of 8 years
    Bob is the reason we can say 5 times to the Mancs

So come on lets give him something back and get your name down thread has had lots of views but no names come on lads & lasses!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

onto football talk:

wat are peoples feelings on the CL and our chances this year? with Milan gone, i definately think we are more than capable of beating anyone over two legs incl any of the remaining English sides. With Torres up top we have a bit we didnt really have last year. I think we'll go far if we can get by the second Inter leg.

Dub13 wrote: »
    6 LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS 1975-76, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1982-83

3 EUROPEAN CUPS 1976-77, 1977-78, 1980-81

3 LEAGUE CUPS 1980-81, 1981-82, 1982-83

1 UEFA CUP 1975-76

1 EUROPEAN SUPER CUP 1976-77

5 CHARITY SHIELDS 1974, 1976, 1977 (shared), 1980, 1982

6 MANAGER OF THE YEAR AWARDS 1975-76, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1982-83

really is incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This was published on 'Forbes' just over an hour ago...does anyone actually know whats going on?
    DIC close to deal with Gillett for 50 pct stake in Liverpool FC - sources

LONDON (Thomson Financial) - Dubai International Capital (DIC), the investment arm of the Dubai government, is close to agreeing terms with George Gillett for his 50 pct stake in Liverpool Football Club, Thomson Financial News has learnt.

Yesterday it emerged that DIC last week made a 400 mln stg indicative offer for Liverpool which would allow Gillett and his business partner Tom Hicks to exit with a 50 mln stg profit just over a year after they took over the club.

According to sources familiar with the negotiations Hicks rejected the offer but Gillett, whose relationship with Hicks has soured, is keen to sell.

'They (DIC) are getting there, it will take another couple of days, they'll take Gillett out first,' the sources said.

'They know what Hicks can't do at the minute so it's about taking Gillett out first, then they move on to the next man.'

The sources insisted DIC is not considering increasing its offer.

The situation is complicated by both Gillett and Hicks apparently having first refusal on each other's holding in Liverpool and the power of veto over any third party sale.

However, the sources indicated there may be a way around this. Both Gillett and DIC's legal teams are understood to have held extensive talks yesterday.

Publicly Hicks has said he remains committed to Liverpool and has hinted he may attempt to buy out Gillett's holding. However, it is understood that privately he has been negotiating with DIC.

Meanwhile, Liverpool supporters are tonight expected to hold another demonstration against the club's American owners when West Ham visit Anfield stadium in a crucial Premier League match.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/03/05/afx4733047.html

<edit> cnbc running the same story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Mr Alan wrote: »
    onto football talk:

wat are peoples feelings on the CL and our chances this year? with Milan gone, i definately think we are more than capable of beating anyone over two legs incl any of the remaining English sides. With Torres up top we have a bit we didnt really have last year. I think we'll go far if we can get by the second Inter leg.

Said it from day one.We have a better chance than any off the other English teams of winning it this year.Dont fear anyone in the next round.IMO the better the side the better are chances are of progress.For example would rather play Real Madrid than porto. etc....Booked my cheap flights to moscow online back last october and expect them not to go to waste.:)

• Advertisement

No one has a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

So...West Ham tonight then?

No need to rest players tonight or the weekend and take 6 points.

Had a dream last night that Rafa rested Torres :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I think that Liverpools chances in the CL is as good as anyone. Anyone who writes them off would be silly.

From a personal viewpoint, I think they'd beat Chelsea, but lose to United and Arsenal.
    I think they'd beat Barca, but lose to Madrid.
    I think they'd be utterly unpredictable against those other two teams, but I actually think they've a better chance of getting through if they played one of the better teams rather than the worse teams, which is for me, what continuing mystery of Liverpool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr Alan

A nightmare I think thats defined as!

I expect a few changes but Babel and Torres must start as must Skrtle and Aurelio.

Mike.

• Advertisement

On the champions league, i wouldn't mind an easier draw now for this round as the semi is obviously going to be against a toughie.

In 05 in the round of 16 we had Leverkusen, who were no pushovers but still not top class, and last year in the quarters we got PSV and breezed past. Would be quite happy with Porto again to be honest, if they can get past Schalke.

Having said that, id love to see us against Madrid. Give Nando a chance for revenge for all the beatings he got from them at Atleti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Had a dream last night that Rafa rested Torres :)

Might not be resting him but I posted a link earlier this morning to a TB article which says he's a major doubt for tonight as he's caught some sort of bug and missed training yesterday as a result.

I can tell the future! ;)

Between yourself and Melion we're definately in for a lotto win!

But the ultimate test of mind reading/fortune telling abilities is simple Anyone can get lucky on the lotto, but can you Name Rafa's Starting 11 for 3 consecutive games!

On DIC, im feeling better then i did this morning. TB's article was almost certainly a little off the mark, as his said talks ended late last night with Gillette rejecting the offer, while todays one from London at just before 11 said talks were ongoing and closing...bit of a head fck of a few days!

Anyone who did that would be burned as a witch!

I wonder is Torres bug more "political" than real ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

onto football talk:

i'd be confident we'd beat anyone in the next round, except United or Arsenal.

I take it is an open draw for the quarters.

By the way i missed last nights coverage but i hope Dunphy completely took away from Arsenal's achievements by slagging off the Italian league

my predicted 11 for tonight;

25. Reina
    3. Finnan
    12. Aurelio
    23. Carragher
    37. Skrtel
    8. Gerrard
    14. Alonso
    20. Mascherano
    15. Crouch
    18. Kuyt
    19. Babel

I'd be confident we could beat the mancs or Arsenal over two legs in Europe. Very confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i hope torres is fit to play....we need 3 points badly tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'd be confident we could beat the mancs or Arsenal over two legs in Europe. Very confident.
    Your confidence means absolutely nothing because you're always confident Liverpool will get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

same here i wouldnt fear either of them over 2 legs the only team i wouldnt want to draw is madrid

Pighead wrote: »
    Your confidence means absolutely nothing because you're always confident Liverpool will get a result.

and more often than not i'm right.

and i aint always confident.

Real would be the toughest draw for us i'd imagine. still love it if we got em though. Rafa and Torres would love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Real would be the toughest draw for us i'd imagine. still love it if we got em though. Rafa and Torres would love it

Rafa & Torres would relish that one alright.
    Personally, I'd love us to get Man Utd. Be fuppin' huge. Was disappointed last year when they went out to Milan at semis, would've been some final.
    But would be very interesting to see it over two legs. Sick of playing Chelsea in the CL ;)

and more often than not i'm right.

and i aint always confident.

i disagree. Real can look very ordinary at times and if we hustled them like we did Barcelona last year i think we'd come out on top. Plus, Rafa would pull out all the stops, you just know he'd love to beat Real. Show them what they're missing.

I don't really go for the argument that we're better off drawing a big side. To be honest i'll be praying for Fenerbache or Shalke/Porto.

Wouldnt mind the mancs either. Be better to get em at this stage than the final. Was so happy milan beat em last year-a Liverpool Vs United final played abroad, is gonna end in disaster, irregardless of results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I wonder what the 1st team selection will be like for tonights match v West Ham, given that the Newcastle game is in 3 days time?

Both games are at home, so that will help. If I was Rafa, I would put out a fairly strong team in both, the best team in fact, as 3 pts is needed in each, so goals are needed.

The team for the match away to Inter can be set-up more defensively. I would use Kuyt for that one.

Can anyone figure out Rafa's mind yet ..... I cant.

Redspider

Meet the possible next boss phoar!
    Story here

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Torres out tonight with a bug, he didnt train yesterday. Surely he'll be OK for Inter.

I'd say he'll go for Crouch up front, in the 4-2-3-1 he's been playing recently. Hopefully Benny will be back to terrorise his old club. Wouldn't risk Agger, but I'd like to see him get some minutes against Newcastle.

better looking than Parry anyway ;)

mike65 wrote: »
    Meet the possible next boss phoar!
    Story here

Mike.

Yeah, i read up on her the other day when it was mentioned she was heading up neogiations. Would take her as Chief Exec over Parry in a sec! From her history shes a serious winner, and it takes something extra for a woman to make in that world.

NekkidBibleMan

Agger won't play as he did an hour in the reserves last night.

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Skrtle--Aurelio
    Masch
    Pennant--Alonso
    Babel
    Crouch--Kuyt

Is my guess. With Gerrard on bench along with Lucas, Hyypia, Riise + GK

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

wheres this about torres not playing? We need him AND hes my captain in the fantasy football...:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Reina

Finnan
    Aurelio
    Skrtel
    Carra

Masch
    Alonso
    Gerrard

Kuyt
    Babel
    Crouch

Thats what i think anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mike65 wrote: »
    NekkidBibleMan

Agger won't play as he did an hour in the reserves last night.

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Skrtle--Aurelio
    Masch
    Pennant--Alonso
    Babel
    Crouch--Kuyt

Is my guess. With Gerrard on bench along with Lucas, Hyypia, Riise + GK

Mike.

Not playing Torres and Gerrard is a dangerous game. You are then relying on Crouch, Kuyt & Babel for a goal.

I couldn't see Both Gerrard AND Torres being left out. I think one will play. West Ham are a decent team, we need to be putting out a serious team tonight.

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Gerrard

Pennant
    Babel

Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Considering we cannot beat either in the league, I would have my doubts tbh..

I too would like a difficult tie in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, i read up on her the other day when it was mentioned she was heading up neogiations. Would take her as Chief Exec over Parry in a sec! From her history shes a serious winner, and it takes something extra for a woman to make in that world.

was gonna say she looks like a horse riding toff and then I read the article and she pretty much is.

Is the match on sky/setanta tonight?

• Advertisement

Nope - match not on anywhere. CL games getting priority over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

On the contrary...

I meant not on any of the Sky or Setanta channels. Of course it's on a load of others if you've got a big enough sat dish to receive them (and relevent subscriptions if appropriate) and if it's being broadcast anywhere it will of course be picked up and streamed online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Paddy Power have wh at 7-1 t/w.

Thats huge odds on an inconsistent pool team without torres and a battling wh team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Extended highlights on SS2 at half 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

yayamark wrote: »
    Paddy Power have wh at 7-1 t/w.

Thats huge odds on an inconsistent pool team without torres and a battling wh team.

Where does it say Torres is out? An auld link wouldnt go amiss....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

LFCTV are showing the game at 12:15 tonight. They are also showing it at 10:00, 19:00 and 22:45 tomorrow night as well. I'll watch it in the morning so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Considering we cannot beat either in the league, I would have my doubts tbh..

I too would like a difficult tie in the next round.

Means not a thing.Cup game over two legs is what Rafa is all about.Im really excited about the prospect of playing the mancs over 2 legs in the quaters if we get past Inter.It would be impossible to get tickets for mind you:(

joe123 wrote: »
    Where does it say Torres is out? An auld link wouldnt go amiss....

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/03/05/fernando-torres-hit-by-bug-100252-20560113/
    FERNANDO TORRES is a major doubt for Liverpool's meeting with West Ham at Anfield tonight, having picked up a bug.

The Reds' top scorer was absent from training yesterday and unless he makes a dramatic recovery is unlikely to be involved against the Hammers.

If, as expected, Torres is unavailable, manager Rafa Benitez is likely to offer a first team recall to Peter Crouch, who has had to settle for a place on the bench in recent weeks.

Whether he has a bug or whether its an easy excuse to Rafa won't be slated for not starting him is anyones guess though, but i'd be surprised if he starts tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

if we cant beat west ham (a fine team btw) minus torres and with essentially the rest of the squad to choose from, then we have no business thinking we ought to be challenging in the top 4

he's a loss but man for man our squad has enough to over come west ham.

i'd like to see aurelio and babel starting along the left, if he starts rotating those 2 after the past couple of performances he can fcuk off tbh. they've both sat on their hole long enough since arriving. well rested

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement