Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A good solid win for Liverpool last night. Things went right. Torres shows his class again, and Kuyt played better according to all accounts.

And Rafa stuck to a reasonable formation keeping the central mdfield pairing of Alonso and Masch and allowing Gerrard to have his roaming role, which he likes. With Babel on the left again, common sense decisions. However, he tinkered at the back. Bringing Arbeloa back in to RB, which was reasonable (ie: West Ham on break could be their main threat against a pace-challeneged Hyypia) and dropping Aurelio for Riise.

I dont understand the latter as Aurelio has been making a good run of late and played well with Babel. He has sweeter foot than Riise, who's had a bad run this year. I suppose the silver lining is that Riise got a run out which should help his confidence and mean he can provide a more solid 'back-up' in future matches.

But with Finnan out again and not on the bench (is he injured?), I'm not sure what all this tinkering at the back will produce. Most managers try to adopt for stable defences and 'tinker' up-front to vary attacking options, etc. This time Rafa kept the midfield and attack the same, but varied the backline. That is unorthodox.

Again, Kuyt played wide right ... hmmm. He got in some good crosses though , so okay I suppose. He wont win us a CL though.

The chase for 4th now looks like this:
       P28
    53 Liverpool, Everton
    48 Aston Villa
    45 Blackburn, Man City
    44 Portsmouth

Nearly a 2 horse race.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Kuyt has done super the last few weeks.

I'd imagine the reason Aurelio was dropped as he is still making his way back from injury, best not to rush him too much, Riise did alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Kuyt has done a good solid job the last few weeks alright but there is no way he is a liverpool striker.I know his father passed on this season and he was very close to him by all accounts, so that might have impacted on his pathetic displays.Still prefer crouch over him any day.Can you imagine torres and drogba in the same team:) Maybe if D.I.C. come in they will buy him:D Along with Kaka and messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Deal looking a bit dead in the water at the moment;
    THE ownership of Liverpool FC last night remained uncertain after talks between Dubai International Capital (DIC) and co-owner George Gillett reached a deadlock.

DIC had not managed to persuade Gillett to sell his 50% stake with a revised bid that would have given him a profit of at least £40m.

The Daily Post understands DIC and Gillett remain on “cordial” terms but talks have now stopped, although the bid remains on the table. The size of the profit Gillet is now being offered varies between £40m and £80m according to different sources.

Those close to DIC suggest the bid would allow Gillett to walk away from the club with an £80m profit, but sources in the Gillett camp argue it is nearer £40m.

“There is a desire on DIC’s part to conclude the deal or move on quick-ly. But there is no immediate pros-pect of a deal,” said a source.

It is understood Gillett is holding out for more money, but DIC have made it clear there is no more.

The latest offer Gillett is now contemplating marks a vast improvement on DIC’s original bid.

Tom Hicks, who owns the other 50% of the club, is still sticking to his guns that he wants to become a majority shareholder in the club.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/investmentdeal/tm_headline=liverpool-fc-ownership-still-uncertain-as-dic-and-george-gillett-reach-deadlock%26method=full%26objectid=20566573%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

The Financial Times has more detail about the prospective terms of any deal. Possible overall package of £500 million it's saying.

++++++

DIC offers share of any success to Liverpool owners

by Roger Blitz

March 6 2008

Dubai International Capital is willing to give Liverpool's US owners a share in future profits, such as stadium receipts and trophy success, if they accept its offer for the Premier League club.

The investment arm of the United Arab Emirates last week tabled a £400m indicative offer to Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

DIC envisages buying out Mr Gillett's half-stake in the club and allowing Mr Hicks to arrange his other financial affairs before taking full control of the club, possibly through staged purchases of his 50 per cent stake.

Mr Gillett was given a deadline of midnight on Tuesday to accept the bid, but people close to the situation say he is holding out for more.

Negotiations in London between advisers representing the investment arm of the UAE and Mr Gillett are understood to have continued beyond the deadline, during which DIC put forward its profit-sharing proposals.

Negotiations are set to resume today.

Under the revised deal, DIC would cover the £350m debt the US owners refinanced with Royal Bank of Scotland and US investment bank Wachovia in January.

On top of that, it has offered Mr Gillett a package of £80m, mostly made up of cash and topped up with a share of future profits. On the basis that such a package would have to be offered to Mr Hicks if DIC is to fulfil its aim of taking full control of Liverpool, the overall package could add up to more than £500m.

The Hicks-Gillett consortium's refinancing has enabled the club to announce it is pressing its plans to move from its Anfield stadium to a new 71,000-capacity stadium in Stanley Park.

Out of the £350m loan, £60m is going towards start-up costs for the new stadium. But the refinancing deal needs to be renegotiated in 16 months.

DIC believes it will get its way, in spite of Mr Hicks' insistence that he is not a seller and that he would veto the sale of his business partner's stake if it led to DIC gaining control of the club.

DIC is unlikely to do a deal with Mr Gillett unless it is assured that it ends up controlling Liverpool.

The situation is complicated by the apparent breakdown in the relationship of the US owners. One person close to Mr Hicks said: "The relationship is probably a bit strained. There is not a great deal going on between them."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/722a179a-eb1f-11dc-a5f4-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

David moyes on sky sports news this morning. " I see this game tonight as a game that would be good enough to grace the champions league" :D:D:D
    You crack me up moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Pighead wrote: »
    Thought you lost that Telly Bingo gig, Shirley?

On topic, Torres is without doubt the best forward in the Premiership at this moment. That first goal last night was sublime.

yeah iv watched it about 20 times, the run he makes is class, arriving at last minute, defender slightly caught but with a run that quick and late, and a great cross, he hasnt much chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

in fairness to kuyt last night he worked his socks off had a fairly good all round game and set up torres nicly for the goal that i seen. Lads is there anywhere online we can watch the matches cos not at home to ofter to watch but always have a laptop...I know a few links were being throw out there during the week but they don't work..any ideas...im suffering from a lack of soccer here:(

Redspider-out of curiousity, did you watch the match last night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stick-dan wrote: »
    im suffering from a lack of soccer here:(
    It doesn't matter, some people just blather away without having seen the match anyway. :rolleyes:

in fairness to kuyt last night he worked his socks off had a fairly good all round game and set up torres nicly for the goal that i seen. Lads is there anywhere online we can watch the matches cos not at home to ofter to watch but always have a laptop...I know a few links were being throw out there during the week but they don't work..any ideas...im suffering from a lack of soccer here:(

These are my usual suspects anyway, will get to see nearly every match if you keep trying;

http://www.rojadirecta.com/
    http://www.myp2p.eu/
    http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/

also sometimes;
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/footyfirst

and a handy link to have - IrishKops list of streams;
    http://84.51.233.73/forums/showthread.php?t=203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

The second two sopcast links given out by smithy(?) last night were working altho the rojadirecta ones weren't. Best thing is to keep an eye on this thread and you usually get sorted. I did miss the first goal though from messing around with tvants. God, I hate that software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mike65 wrote: »
    RVN scored about 35 goals in total in his debut season for Man Utd.

Mike.

36 and 23 in the league but how many were penos i wonder

in his second season he scored 44 in all competitions and an amazing 13 of those were from the spot.

Torres has scored all his goals from open play so far

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Redspider-out of curiousity, did you watch the match last night?

No I didnt have the luxury of that, hands up. (I had Chelski v unmentionable on, background). I saw some highlights though, the goals, and followed the live text, etc, read it all, read several match reports, and none of which can give a true account of the game.

Seeing is believing as they say (although watching a match 3 or 4 times with slow mo is the only way to really judge a match in its fullest, and having that pro-zone software with the stats etc can also help, as well as being there and wating the TV view after).

So, I have a perception of the game, and if I've drawn any glaringly wrong conclusions by all means point them out. I'm open to discussion. :-)

Some people blather on every thread ... indirectly as well I may add. ! ;-)

Redspider

rossie1977 wrote: »
    in his second season he scored 44 in all competitions and an amazing 13 of those were from the spot.

One thing I'd like to see in football is the distinction between goals scored from open play and penalties. Phil Neal scored quite a few goals for Liverpool from the spot as far as I can recall, as does Rogerio(sp?) Ceni, but these should not be classified in goal records really, at least not in the same way.

Of course football is a team game and sometimes the assist is what makes the goal and the goal-scorer just has a tap in. I think there is too much emphasis on who actually puts it into the back of the net, by the media, public, fans, etc. Even the players are at it. If there was less emphasis, there would be less selfish play perhaps, and more goals - ironic! Of course if a player is missing chances he is getting he is not doing his job as well as others, and if he is putting away half-chances or quarter-chances, he is certainly doing his goal-scoring job.

Its hard to measure football, but whoever touches the ball last and claims the goal and then everyone making a big deal of it is not the best way of measuring it. Its a simple way, thats true, but goals scored by one player over his career cant be compared with goals scored by another player. Its not golf!

Torres is a good goal-scorer in any type of measurement - long may it continue.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/03/06/anfield-protest-urges-tom-hicks-and-george-gillett-to-sell-up-100252-20567815/
    Meanwhile, representatives of Hicks are set to meet with DIC in London next week to discuss the Dubai based consortium's bid for Gillett's stake in the club.

Talks between DIC and Gillett's advisers are ongoing and there is growing feeling that the Dubai camp could be on the verge of a major breakthrough, although Hicks still maintains his insistence that he is not interested in selling his stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

rossie1977 wrote: »
    36 and 23 in the league but how many were penos i wonder

they still count as goals

sure when gerrard scored over 20 goals two seasons ago, how many were from the spot? no one cared then

sometimes its harder to score from the spot than open play, as from open play you dont even think about it, just stick it away

**** me, he's some player though. Watching la liga this past few years, i knew he'd do well, but i thought it might take him a year or two though. Whilst he's big, he doesnt look as strong as say drogba or RVN, i thought he'd get kicked around the pitch, but not a word about it, he's been lethal. His last goal was pure class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

http://www.futebolfinance.com/salarios-dos-jogadores-de-futebol-0708/en/

acording to that Torres is earning more than Gerrard!!

was so unlucky not to get a fourth as well when his diving header hit the inside of the post and shot across the goal. He's really willing to stick his limbs, and his head in that case, in where it hurts! Just seems 100% committed whenever he tries anything, fantastic to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool v Newcastle is live on Setanta Ireland 3 pm Saturday! w00t!

Mike.

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote: »

pretty sure Torres is on £90k a week. which is less than Gerrard.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    http://www.futebolfinance.com/salarios-dos-jogadores-de-futebol-0708/en/

Kills me to see Kewell on that list. Brought in with so much potential but because of injury, etc.. he never delivered.

Aye, the article itself even says;

"The figures represented are approximate and unofficial, removed from stories published when the signatures of contracts."

SO cant really put much stock in them, especially when it was very widely reported at the time of signing that he was taking a pay cut down to 90 grand. Im pretty sure he even commented on this at the time (not the exact figure, but that he was quite happy to take the pay cut as it wasn't a move for the money).
    Christ he really has done Everything right since he's signed up with us hasn't he. Literally the perfect signing! Takes a pay cut, proves to be a bargain at 20mill, fantastic attitude, fights for everything, bangs in the goals, never comes out with moans or complaints - only positive comments, is a marketing persons wet dream, already has experience at being a captain and leader, And has probably nigh on 10 good years ahead of him!

Surprised Xabi and Carragher aren't on that list. Beckham seems very low as well, I guess his huge contract comes more from the marketing from Galaxy rather then a straight out wage.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Christ he really has done Everything right since he's signed up with us hasn't he. Literally the perfect signing! Takes a pay cut, proves to be a bargain at 20mill, fantastic attitude, fights for everything, bangs in the goals, never comes out with moans or complaints - only positive comments, is a marketing persons wet dream, already has experience at being a captain and leader, And has probably nigh on 10 good years ahead of him!

hence the reason i wanna bum him

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

holy crap! We are paying Kewell €400,000 a month. GET RID!!

That list gives a good indication of the power Rafa has had when signing players in the past. When you consider out of the top 50 highest paid players

Chelsea 8
    Man UTD 6
    Real Madrid 6
    Barcelona 5
    Inter Milan 3
    Liverpool 3
    Juventus 3
    Bayern Munich 2
    Milan 1
    Arsenal 0

It makes some good reading though. Darren Bent = 19th highest paid player in the world who warms the bench most games.

Also, Real Madrid's highest paid player is Iker Casillas.. unusual

Fair play to Arsene Wenger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There is no surprise that Casillas is Real Madrids highest paid player, he is without a doubt the best goalkeeper in the world and the best player in the Real Madrid team. Amazing player, and he's only like 24!

I'm not surprised Torres is there on the list ahead of Gerrard, since Torres signed his contract more recently really. When is Gerrards contract next up for review?

it was definately very widely reported at the time that Gerrard was stil the highest paid though, and that Nando was on less then 100grand. Gerrards on around 120 i think.

Casillas has to do the work of 5 men. ;)

Mike.

Torres is definately on less than 100 a week, i remember an interview with him when he actually talked about taking a paycut to move to Liverpool.

• Advertisement

This might be my imagination on overdrive, but i just saw the picture of Gerrard handing over the match ball to Torres. Now look behind the 2 of them, whoever that guy is, he's the head off Pako Ayesteran with a little more facial hair...could it be?

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icliverpool/mar2008/2/2/83D91CF7-086D-50D6-0FB39032D17A4F39.jpg
    Pako - http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icliverpool/jul2007/6/9/0787608D-0E8C-5647-6E78F7AEEA78FA07.jpg

FERNANDO TORRES today told of his pride at becoming the first Liverpool player in more than 60 years to score hat-tricks in successive matches at Anfield.

The Reds top scorer was again in magnificent form as he followed up his recent treble against Middlesbrough with another three-goal salvo in Liverpool's 4-0 win over West Ham.

Jackie Balmer was the last Liverpool player to score hat-tricks in consecutive home games, way back in November 1946.

And Torres was thrilled to have matched his feat.

He said: "I only learned of the record after the game and it is a big honour for me.

“This club has a wonderful history so to be a part of that is very special and it is something I am very proud of.

"But it is also a record for everyone at the club because it would be impossible for me to score goals if it was not for my team-mates, the manager, the coaching staff, everyone."

Torres was afforded a standing ovation by an enthralled Anfield as he was substituted shortly after grabbing his third goal and he admitted the reception left him stunned.

"It was incredible," he said. "The roar from the crowd was fantastic and it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

"I feel really lucky and also humble to be loved by the crowd but what I would say is that I love them also.

"They have supported me since I first came to the club and I want to keep on scoring goals for them.

"The Liverpool fans are special and it is an honour for me to play for them, so if I can make them happy then I will be happy."

Torres was a major doubt on the day of last night's game having been laid low with a bug in the days leading up to it.

But he got off his sick bed to inspire Liverpool to one of their best performances of the season and his display earned him a glowing tribute from manager Rafa Benitez.

He said: "Fernando told me he wanted to play and that was the most important thing. We thought he might not have been able to but he assured me he would be fine and he went onto the pitch and proved it.

"To score hat-tricks in consecutive home games is a fantastic achievement and everyone at the club is very proud of that. Fernando is on fire at the moment."

Liverpool ended the game with 10 men after Javier Mascherano was taken off with a dead leg and the Anfield medical staff were today assessing his injury.

By the way, what was the reason again that Chelsea got 18m from Uefa TV rights whereas Liverpool got only 12m in last season's CL?

http://www.futebolfinance.com/uefa-distribuicao-das-receitas-da-champions-league-0607/en/

Rebel, i thought it was Pako too, he was at the game and has been attending reserve games for quite a while! maybe a reconciliation on the cards! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

redspider wrote: »
    By the way, what was the reason again that Chelsea got 18m from Uefa TV rights whereas Liverpool got only 12m in last season's CL?

http://www.futebolfinance.com/uefa-distribuicao-das-receitas-da-champions-league-0607/en/
    Clearly it's cos Chelsea have done better in the CL than us in the last few years... :/

Why did Inter get 19m/Roma 18m ?

Mr Alan wrote:
    Rebel, it is Pako, he was at the game and has been attending reserve games for quite a while! maybe a reconciliation on the cards! ;)

Excellent! Thought i was seeing things..

This might be my imagination on overdrive, but i just saw the picture of Gerrard handing over the match ball to Torres. Now look behind to 2 of them, whoever that guy is, he's the head off Pako Ayesteran with a little more facial hair...could it be?
    Rebel, it is Pako, he was at the game and has been attending reserve games for quite a while! maybe a reconciliation on the cards! ;)
    That explains an awful lot, imo.

Rebel, i thought it was Pako too, he was at the game and has been attending reserve games for quite a while! maybe a reconciliation on the cards! ;)

He goes away and our form drops to sh!te. He starts turning up to games again and we return to winning ways. He's our good luck charm - should get him stuffed & mounted next to the TIA sign in the tunnel :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

redspider wrote: »

the higher you finish in your domestic league, the higher the share of the TV money you get. Chelsea were champions. We had only finished third, and only got one round further than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm almost certain it's not Pako. He has a job in Spain doesn't he?

Pretty sure he wasnt there in any professional manner Des, just as a spectator

I'm almost certain it's not Pako. He has a job in Spain doesn't he?

nope he still lives in Liverpool afaik?

Pretty sure he wasnt there in any professional manner Des, just as a spectator
    And he was let on the pitch afterwards?

Yeah, spectator.

ITS NOT PAKO! Its Victor Salinas

Thats Liverpools physio they all look the same these Spanish assistants!

Mike.

Also just spotted that liverpoolfc.tv still have his profile on the net, they just removed the link from the staff section. Might be nothing, but they used to do this with potential buys, have a page made up so it could go live if a transfer move came off.. made a lot of people money by checking through all the potential names and putting them in after /squad/

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/ayesteran/

<edit> God damn you Mike...god damn you to hell :(

• Advertisement

That would explain why he is on the pitch alright, but Pako was at the game according to Talk City last night in Liverpool.

the higher you finish in your domestic league, the higher the share of the TV money you get. Chelsea were champions. We had only finished third, and only got one round further than them.

I didnt think the differences based on position were that much. Also the 'round further' was the most important one in terms of TV broadcasting revenues as it is the final, and surely warrants extra weighting. No doubt there is a formula agreed for this anyway. I understand its done on a per-country basis and that's why PSV got so much at 19.4m.

I noticed a few differences in the Eliminations payments as well. Inter and Barca 200k less than the others, Man Utd 200k more than Chelsea. Was this for fair play? Its a pity they dont get paid for goal attempts and goals.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Aye, the article itself even says;

"The figures represented are approximate and unofficial, removed from stories published when the signatures of contracts."

SO cant really put much stock in them, especially when it was very widely reported at the time of signing that he was taking a pay cut down to 90 grand. Im pretty sure he even commented on this at the time (not the exact figure, but that he was quite happy to take the pay cut as it wasn't a move for the money).

Surprised Xabi and Carragher aren't on that list. Beckham seems very low as well, I guess his huge contract comes more from the marketing from Galaxy rather then a straight out wage.

according to most american reports when Beckham signed for Galaxy the British press blew out of all proportion how much he actually gets.It was commented on espn and sports illustrated that he was on money nowhere near A Rod,Le Bron,Kobe or a Tom Brady.
    Seems the press get alittle carried away when talking about footballers wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

DesF wrote: »
    It doesn't matter, some people just blather away without having seen the match anyway. :rolleyes:

hope you don't mean me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement