Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

aye, uneccessary frustration from the young lad. that should have been his second yellow too.

anyone got any odds on Torres to get another 3 at the weekend? cant look at the betting sites in work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mascherano is a big loss, but at least we have Alonso to come in. He won't do the same job by any means, but he will do well

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Alonso
    Lucas

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres

wouldn't mind seeing Pennant getting a go on the right, as he has looked good whenever he's come in, but apart from that I think the shape of the team should stay the same.

Hopefully the same team vs Inter, except Mascherano in for Lucas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

anyone got any odds on Torres to get another 3 at the weekend? cant look at the betting sites in work...
    Paddy Power has him at 21/10 to score a hat-trick.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_event_by_markets&chosen_ev_id=1063140&category=SOCCER&ev_class_id=&disp_cat_id=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/barclays-premiership/liverpool-v-newcastle-united/to-score-a-hat-trick

16-1 from Boylesports or Coral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No solid defensive midfielder for the Inter game would make things very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Rafa is messing with Inters heads ;) (I hope! :( )

Mike.

PHB wrote: »
    No solid defensive midfielder for the Inter game would make things very interesting.

Alonso is a very solid defensive midfielder. He's just no Mascherano. I think Alonso, Lucas and Gerrard should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Most likely mind games from Rafa....will need him big time against Inter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The pool are looking good for 3rd place this year, confidence is very high.

Bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Confidence was high at the beginning of the season too, so lets not get carried away.

Hope to jaysis Rafa is just being coy about Masch missing Inter - while we'd probably be ok with Alonso/Lucas in midfield I'd rather not have to worry about one or both of them disappearing for the entire game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

A bit unfair, I would be happy with Alonso, Gerrard and Lucas in the middle. If Masch is not fit I think that is the way it will start and I reckon that that trio would be better using the ball than a trio with Masch in it, while he is immense breaking up attacks, Lucas adds a little more going forward definitely not as good facing his own goal yet mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

The pool are looking good for 3rd place this year, confidence is very high.

Bring it on.

Ah lads.Lets just get forth and move on to next season(With the european cup hopefully) We have been a poor side this year bar torres,gerrard,mash and deserve our league placing. Arsenal,Manchester and chelsea are a step above us in terms of quality but i think once rafa gets some decent funds for proper players (no more vorinons etc...) then we will close the gap.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Mascherano is a big loss, but at least we have Alonso to come in. He won't do the same job by any means, but he will do well

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Alonso
    Lucas

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres

wouldn't mind seeing Pennant getting a go on the right, as he has looked good whenever he's come in, but apart from that I think the shape of the team should stay the same.

Hopefully the same team vs Inter, except Mascherano in for Lucas.

I'm plumping for the same team against the Toon except Riise in for Aurelio. Bet i'm wrong...

ibh wrote: »
    I'm plumping for the same team against the Toon except Riise in for Aurelio. Bet i'm wrong...

hope you're wrong. The less we see of Riise the better as far as i'm concerned. But you may be right. We may also see Hyypia for one of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Aren't we playing Inter midweek?

I reckon we'll see wholesale changes from the West Ham game.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Aren't we playing Inter midweek?

I reckon we'll see wholesale changes from the West Ham game.

I wouldn't have thought wholesale. Maybe Hyypia, Aurelio, Pennant/Benayoun and Lucas (forced).

I'd be surprised by wholesale changes as well. Rafa knows every point is vital atm (ultimately his job may well depend on it) so will field another strong team to try ensure another 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Wasnt there a discussion about him wearing that before he signed ... a few months .. people thought it was a "sign" he wanted to join us.

And it turned out that it was complete rubbish and that he and his mates always used to say it to each other and they got it for him for a present IIRC.

• Advertisement

Or that it doesn't actually say "You'll never walk alone" or something, who cares anyway :)

Role on the barcodes

I think it actually says we'll never walk alone.

yeah - it supposedly says "We'll never walk alone" - not "You'll never walk alone" and was given to him by some of his mates or something along those lines - can't remember the exact details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Wouldnt you think it'd have been in Spanish if his mates really got something written there for him?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=528587&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow
    Rafa Benitez revealed yesterday that he considered bidding for Michael Owen last summer but stuck to his instinct that Fernando Torres would prove a more effective solution to Liverpool's need for a new attacking spearhead.

As he prepared to face Owen at Anfield today, Benitez described how he twice decided against granting the Newcastle striker's wish for return to his home club after offloading him to Real Madrid three years ago.

He held talks with Owen when Real signalled a willingness to sell and again weighed up the England striker's claims when it became clear a proven scorer was Liverpool's priority at the end of last season.

Despite admitting that Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher had seized every opportunity to champion their former team-mate, Benitez again dashed Owen's hopes of a return by opting for Atletico Madrid's Torres.

Intrigue!

Mike.

Very interesting ... denials came out of the club about the rumours of him returning. Im glad we got Torres in the end. I think Owen's best days are long gone which is a pity with the talent he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Now that we have a proven goal scorer, I wouldn't object to Owen coming back at all as we wouldn't have to depend on him.

There's no way I'd welcome him back, he's horribly out of shape and lacking in form, plus he'd demand huge wages

If DIC come in ... they might bring him back with some deal which involves horses ...

• Advertisement

It's a start anyway...

Half way to getting rid of the yanks.

Half way to getting rid of the yanks.

almost half way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Staveley, a senior partner of the PCP private equity firm, and Sameer al-Ansari, the chief executive, are expected to be among those joining the board, with Gillett and his son, Foster, likely to depart.

LRamanda(2).jpg

Our new board member, nice!

See, we are already looking at getting some new talent in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

zAbbo wrote: »
    There's no way I'd welcome him back, he's horribly out of shape and lacking in form, plus he'd demand huge wages

He's been very unfortunate with injuries over the years. When he came available at Real I was hoping we wouldn't sign him on that basis alone.
    Hopefully they'll be no change in his current form today ;)

That injury against sweden was an odd one, really did ruin him for me. Shame really, he is still a superb strkier on his day, shame his days are spread so far apart.

He still is a superb stiker. He hasn't got the raw pace he had but he is still getting into goal scoring positions even though he is lacking match fitness and playing for a woeful Newcy team. As always, it will take him 5 to 10 games to get back into it and then he will be sticking them away again - mark my words. Assuming he doesn't get injured again that is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

is the v newcastle game on anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

is the v newcastle game on anywhere.

Setanta Ireland, which is on my basic NTL package. \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sissoko scores an overhead kick for Juventus!

http://101greatgoals.magnify.net/item/7VZ62RHZK9JSHGPP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

heh, fair play Momo :-)

Sissoko owed Juve that after his comical OG the previous game. :)

Mike.

The Liverpool line-up in full is: Reina, Riise, Arbeloa, Skrtel, Carragher, Benayoun, Pennant, Lucas, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Itandje, Hyypia, Crouch, Kuyt, Babel.

Reina

Arbeloa--Carra--Skrtel--Riise

Lucas--Alonso

Pennant----Gerrard----Benayoun

Torres

Happy with that. Babel, Aurelio & hopefully Mascherano will be fresh for Inter. Vital to get a couple of early goals and take off Torres and Gerrard.

Tusky wrote: »
    The Liverpool line-up in full is: Reina, Riise, Arbeloa, Skrtel, Carragher, Benayoun, Pennant, Lucas, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Itandje, Hyypia, Crouch, Kuyt, Babel.

Reina

Arbeloa--Carra--Skrtel--Riise

Lucas--Alonso

Pennant----Gerrard----Benayoun

Torres

Happy with that. Babel, Aurelio & hopefully Mascherano will be fresh for Inter. Vital to get a couple of early goals and take off Torres and Gerrard.

good team. Babel will be nice and fresh for some counter-attacking madness against Inter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

F*ck, I expected Crouch to start. F*cking fantasy football...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Baros sockin it to the Mancs. Least he can do something good now

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

I'm also happy with the team. The match is also on here for those without ntl,

http://setanta-video.eircom.net/eircom/channels/Live.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

very happy with that team. It also shows Rafa keeping the same system even with changes.

Anyone elses NTL gone haywire ? Mine says im not subscribed...

Skrtles new song, hope it takes off. Its amazing! To the tune of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Slovak hero Martin Skrtel
    Hero in a red shirt, Skrtel power.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement