Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mike65 wrote: »
    I think man-love for Torres is now not considered an abberation

Has he ever taken a peno?

Mike.

I'm surprised that he isnt good at penos considering how confident a finisher he is. Makes it all the more special that he has scored 25 goals from open play though.

Heres the top scorers list in all comps from open play.

Ronaldo - 26
    Torres - 25
    Adebayor - 20
    Keane 18
    Yakubu - 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭GBX

according to mr google ... he missed one in the premier league trophy

GBX wrote: »
    according to mr google ... he missed one in the premier league trophy

Yup. Against Portsmouth in pre-season. Thats the only one he has taken for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Team is really clicking now, and it only took what 7 months?
    Need to carry this form into Tuesday and beat Inter and then push on through the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

What an enjoyable game, atmosphere has been superb at the ground of late and today was no exception, in fact was even better than usual, barring european nights of course. Wonder had it anything to do with the dic news. Or maybe more so to do with United getting a bit unlucky and portsmouth spanking them out of the cup.

Anyway, great result, gives us a bit of breathing space on the auld goal difference over the blue noses. Hopefully it will not come down to that, games cannot come quick enough now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea are 2 points ahead with 2 games in hand - which they now know they must win to remain confident.

Chelsea run in

Chelsea v Derby, 20:00
    Sunderland v Chelsea, 15:00
    Tottenham v Chelsea, 20:00
    Chelsea v Arsenal, 16:00
    Chelsea v Middlesbrough, 20:00
    Man City v Chelsea, 16:00
    Chelsea v Wigan, 20:00
    Everton v Chelsea, 15:00
    Chelsea v Man Utd, 15:00
    Newcastle v Chelsea, 15:00
    Chelsea v Bolton, 15:00

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cough cough, torres goal cough cough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

mike65 wrote: »
    Chelsea are 2 points ahead with 2 games in hand - which they now know they must win to remain confident.

Losing to Barnsley won't help confidence either. Looks like there's some major infighting going on there as well between Grant and the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Stky10 wrote: »
    Losing to Barnsley won't help confidence either.

Dont know about that. We've been on fire since our capitulation to the mighty Barnsley

True, shock defeats can bring a team together if things are basicly sound, if things are already bad in the dressing room it could fracture them furthur. Terry will need to do a Gerrard and lead from the er back.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Alonso back to his best recently? Best passer in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Tusky wrote: »
    First 21 goals from from Torres's 25. Cant wait for the compilation of all of them at the end of the season. They are all so different. I remember someone saying that he never scores two goals the same and it seems to be true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGmxWT2AP8g
    Nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Alonso back to his best recently? Best passer in England.

Dunno if he's back to his best, I'd say Fabregas is a better passer of the ball at the moment. At times today though he showed some moments of pure class and hopefully the Xabi of his debut season will be back soon.

Was anybody else worried about the thread getting to page 666 and then something dreadful happening, like Hicks taking full ownership, or one of our stars proper broken up for the Inter game.

As it turned out there are all sorts of reasons to be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How many peno's has Gerrard scored? Obviously Torres might not have scored he same fromt he same amount but if he was the peno taker and scored the same amoutn as Gerrard, what would his total be now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's only on page 333.

40 posts-a-page ftw!

Well then it is still looming large for you zabbo, but for the rest of us it will soon be a dim memory...

30 posts per page! :) Can't stand 20 - far too many pages too quicky on this thread :D

Mike.

I need 40, it balances out half the trash Mr.Alan posts :)

Page 666 is a good 13,000 or so posts away for me.

I thought we played OK today, obviously class from Torres and Gerrard, but in fairness - Newcastle are rubbish.

• Advertisement

They looked alright until we scored TBH and 13,00 posts or so will be around transfer time so, I hope we don't lose out on a cracking deal because of you. I will know where to come a looking if Villa doesn't eventually sign for us at the last minute on the day you hit page 666.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mite have spoken too soon T4TF!
    Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks launched a scathing attack on his potential future partners, the Dubai based consortium, DIC.

Although the deal is said to still be on course, Hicks has reacted furiously after alleging DIC's lead negotiator Amanda Staveley had leaked private letters, concering the takeover, to the press.

Anger

"If she thinks that is an appropriate way to acquire a stake in Liverpool FC, she had better think again," Hicks said in a statement to the Associated Press.

"Amanda Staveley, who has a reputation for being pretty smart, she should know better than to publicly put words in my mouth, particularly words that she knows or should know perfectly well aren't true.

"She should also know better than to release actual copies of my private correspondence to the press."

Hicks also insinuated that DIC are not the only investors who could come in to Anfield and take over the investment of his partner George Gillett Jnr, who is looking to sell his 50 per cent stake in the club.

Hicks can block Gillett from selling because of a pre-emption agreement that says one partner cannot sell his stake without the other's approval.

Despite the public anger expressed by Hicks - DIC are said to be still on course to take Gillet's substantial stake in Liverpool.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3266571,00.html

Oh Feck off Hicks, and stop dragging the club through the gutter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Bad form from Hicks really. He should be a silent partner from now on.

Great result today!! Lots of people wanting Torres' babies...
    The lad was born to be an LFC player!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I hope you last 2 were taking the piss. Why the hell should Hicks shut up after what that Stavely woman did with private letters?

Because Hicks didn't seem to have any issue with underhand tactics when himself and Gillet received DIC research information prior to the initial takeover.

All it does is guarantee more media coverage on this whole debacle.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    I hope you last 2 were taking the piss. Why the hell should Hicks shut up after what that Stavely woman did with private letters?

Letter(s)?. Only letter I saw leaked was the one in the Telegraph this morning and that wasn't sent to her, so I'm not sure how she was supposed to have leaked it.

And he should shut up because (1) he's leaked info and fed stories to the press when its suited him in the last 2-3 months (2) because he's basically been shown to have been lying all the time about the amount of contact himself and Gillette have been having with DIC for the last few months.

He's not wanted by the fans, if he'd a shred of dignity he'd take his blood money and f**k off

Not even his money any more, it is money secured against the club, so it is RBS money that is held against the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

zAbbo wrote: »
    it balances out half the trash Mr.Alan posts :)

hey! leave it out!:mad:

i like to think of myself as a valued contributor!:cool:

Think of yourself however you like, we all know what you are ;)

Stekelly wrote: »
    How many peno's has Gerrard scored? Obviously Torres might not have scored he same fromt he same amount but if he was the peno taker and scored the same amoutn as Gerrard, what would his total be now?

Gerrard has scored 4 out of 5 this season. One was saved by the keeper but he put it in after. If Torres had taken and scored all of them he would be top scorer in the league and equal to Ronaldo in all comps.

Purely hypothetical though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Smart move by Hicks really - one of two things imo. Basically he knows Staveley is the no nonsense type so he's moved to descredit/cast serious doubt over her suitibility to:
    a) be involved in the ongoing negotiations to work out the specifics of the partnership agreement between him & DIC.
    b) take up a position on the board of LFC. Many of the journo's covering this story during the week have suggested that she is likely to be one of DIC's 2 members on the board.
    It's all about balance of power and he's just letting it be known that he won't roll over like a good little dog.

He's still a c$^( though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Just back from the match.Thought all in all we played very well.Gerrard,torres well what can i say that anybody doesnt know already about these guys.Unreal talent and bagfulls of commitment.Good atmosphere at the game and a definate anti hicks feeling on the Kop which was great.:) The day was made all the better with Manchester getting knocked out of the cup.Listening to fergie on the boat home.What a plank.The man has lost his marbles and is beginning to show real signs of cracking up.:D Onward and upward and i can see us scoring in milan on tuesday with that kind of team spirit on show today.Special praise for skrtel who had owen in his pocket all day today.The guy looks like he is going to be a great signing for us and looks us tough as nails.Gotta feel sorry for keegan.He has a great heart i am sure but jesus he isnt and never will make a good manager:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Dubit10 wrote: »
    .Listening to fergie on the boat home.What a plank.The man has lost his marbles and is beginning to show real signs of cracking up.

Still in the hunt for 2 trophies. Not bad for somebody who is cracking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

What are you all doing? This about Hicks and that about Gillette. What is the one reason we are on this forum for. Our club Liverpool. Who here actually considers these two guys as part of our club. All they did was buy a name for themselves. Nothing more. They never endeared themselves to the fans.They are nothing. These are the guys who unbalanced our manager, seeking a replacement for him publicly whilst he was still in employment.Furthermore their unsettlement of the manager ebbed through the team and too an extent affected the players,although the players at the club are not completely blameless themselves. The brought a depressing air to the club since late December/early January and should just be ignored for the babbling idiots that they are. Why oh why does anyone here give them the satisfaction of being conversed about. THEY ARE BAD NEWS. Its time to move on. But no the subject still gets its say here. Why oh why when the team have started to show good form, players are beginning to show their skills after maybe a lack-luster middle season, a genuine contender for premiership top goal-scorer, a shot at the champions league do we continue to talk about the owners. ITS POINTLESS. Put them to the back of your minds, support your team not the administration and will them to champions league glory and most importantly KEEPING EVERTON OUT OF 4TH.

Rant over!

Liverpool run in

Saturday, 15 March 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Reading, 15:00
    Sunday, 23 March 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Man Utd v Liverpool, 13:30
    Sunday, 30 March 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Everton, 16:00
    Saturday, 05 April 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Arsenal v Liverpool, 15:00
    Sunday, 13 April 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Blackburn, 13:30
    Saturday, 19 April 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Fulham v Liverpool, 15:00
    Saturday, 26 April 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Birmingham v Liverpool, 15:00
    Saturday, 03 May 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Man City, 15:00
    Sunday, 11 May 2008
    Barclays Premier League
    Tottenham v Liverpool, 15:00

Mike.

Far from easy but goals there for the taking for Torres. Hope that he can push on and at leaast get the record if not the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not an easy run in at all :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

stick-dan wrote:
    What are you all doing? This about Hicks and that about Gillette. What is the one reason we are on this forum for. Our club Liverpool. Who here actually considers these two guys as part of our club. All they did was buy a name for themselves. Nothing more. They never endeared themselves to the fans.They are nothing. These are the guys who unbalanced our manager, seeking a replacement for him publicly whilst he was still in employment.Furthermore their unsettlement of the manager ebbed through the team and too an extent affected the players,although the players at the club are not completely blameless themselves. The brought a depressing air to the club since late December/early January and should just be ignored for the babbling idiots that they are. Why oh why does anyone here give them the satisfaction of being conversed about. THEY ARE BAD NEWS. Its time to move on. But no the subject still gets its say here. Why oh why when the team have started to show good form, players are beginning to show their skills after maybe a lack-luster middle season, a genuine contender for premiership top goal-scorer, a shot at the champions league do we continue to talk about the owners. ITS POINTLESS. Put them to the back of your minds, support your team not the administration and will them to champions league glory and most importantly KEEPING EVERTON OUT OF 4TH.

Rant over!

? Who owns the club and how they run it is of massive importance to the club. Can't just ignore the bad just because its bad. I dunno about you, but i follow everything that happens in any way related to LFC from the youth teams progress to the reserves to the coaching staff and up to the board. I like to know exactly whats going on and what that means for the future of the club I love. Of course I follow the 11 men on the pitch most, but thats not the end of it, I want to know about every facet of the club. All these other topics you mention will all get their say as well, this thread moves and flows between topics and each of them will be returned to many many times again depending on what news has just happened. (e.g its already moved onto the run in and there was some serious Torres loving yesterday. the CL will completely dominate the thread for the next week.) Theres room for discussion on Everything LFC related and thats the thing i love about this thread, that theres no such thing as off topic once its about LFC.

----
    on the run in;

These 3 games are massive for our season. We pretty much have to be getting a draw from the arsenal and united games and beat Everton. The rest of the games are fairly winnable but we could easily drop 6points over those games. Thankfully we are coming into them at just the right time and if we get something against United, it would leave us in great spirits. Hopefully we can maintain the momentum we're on at the moment against Inter this week (best run by a distance this season so far for us).

Hence the title ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Melion wrote: »
    Lads i feel i have to say it, i think i love Fernando.

as mr. alan would say "that man makes me question my sexuality":)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

"My family and friends have enjoyed it and it's been a journey for all of us. It's not just me, everyone's involved.

"They're all going to Inter Milan, as usual, and when the draw came out I was made up. Everyone at the club was, like, 'Oh no, not Inter.' But I was really pleased because I've never played at the San Siro and maybe this will be my only chance. All my family are buzzing about it.

"The fans want to do what I do as a player but when we went to the World Cup with England in Germany and it didn't go that well, I was thinking to myself I'd have rather been with them!

"So when I finish I'll still be going to watch the games, but I wouldn't get away with going first class. I'd have to go with the lads just for the craic!"

:D Gotta love Carra too..especially the last paragraph. What a humble dude!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

carra's a legend he just has no interest in the celebrity thing, like fowler though he's probably using his money very wisely.

Couldnt agree more.Ive the upmost respect for players like carra.Hate the whole celeb side of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Carradona is simply a no nonsense, no fuss player and it seems guy also. the only "celebrity" thing he has done is open up a restaurant and thats not even celebrity like its just investing his money wisely

Yeap.Now only if he could improve on his ball distribution skills:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So sorry, I'm confused about the whole ownership thing.

Gillett is gone?
    Hicks owns 51%
    DIC own 49%

Hicks maintains full control?

I've given in on the whole DIC thing.Hicks is a lying **** of a man.:mad:

PHB wrote: »
    So sorry, I'm confused about the whole ownership thing.

Gillett is gone?
    Hicks owns 51%
    DIC own 49%

Hicks maintains full control?

No. The deal hasn't been done yet between Gillett and DIC. The exact details depend on which source the leaks are coming from. Basically though it seems that DIC will purchase Gilletts 50% share, then sell Hicks 1% of this, allowing him to float his Sports Business in the US while maintaining a majority shareholding in the club, while at the same time DIC will take on the debt recently negociated with RBS/Wachovia, and will at a later date be able to convert this debt to equity in the club in the form of shares, thus becoming the majority shareholder.

This is good for Hicks as he should be able to float his business in the US for a higher value than if he was just a partner/minority shareholder in the club, and although he'll end up a minority shareholder eventually, the club should be worth a lot more with a new stadium, so his share will actually be worth more than it is at the moment.

But then... it could all be changed again by tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Come on Sunderland !!!!! scoreless with Everton at the mo:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ? Who owns the club and how they run it is of massive importance to the club. Can't just ignore the bad just because its bad. I dunno about you, but i follow everything that happens in any way related to LFC from the youth teams progress to the reserves to the coaching staff and up to the board. I like to know exactly whats going on and what that means for the future of the club I love. Of course I follow the 11 men on the pitch most, but thats not the end of it, I want to know about every facet of the club. All these other topics you mention will all get their say as well, this thread moves and flows between topics and each of them will be returned to many many times again depending on what news has just happened. (e.g its already moved onto the run in and there was some serious Torres loving yesterday. the CL will completely dominate the thread for the next week.) Theres room for discussion on Everything LFC related and thats the thing i love about this thread, that theres no such thing as off topic once its about LFC.

----
    on the run in;

These 3 games are massive for our season. We pretty much have to be getting a draw from the arsenal and united games and beat Everton. The rest of the games are fairly winnable but we could easily drop 6points over those games. Thankfully we are coming into them at just the right time and if we get something against United, it would leave us in great spirits. Hopefully we can maintain the momentum we're on at the moment against Inter this week (best run by a distance this season so far for us).

point taken but i feel the owners are overshadowing the club...thats my opinion newho!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement