Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Come on Sunderland !!!!! scoreless with Everton at the mo:)

Internet jinxing strikes again :)

These 3 games are massive for our season. We pretty much have to be getting a draw from the arsenal and united games and beat Everton

I disagree. I think Liverpools position will be decided by the other 8 games and the Everton game. United and Arsenal games are secondary concerns, you gotta get the bread and butter first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

PHB wrote: »
    Internet jinxing strikes again :)

Ok lets try in reverse:D.....Everton sailing to another three points, no chance Sunderland will take anything from this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I disagree. I think Liverpools position will be decided by the other 8 games and the Everton game. United and Arsenal games are secondary concerns, you gotta get the bread and butter first

fulham a
    west ham h
    liverpool a
    derby h
    Brum a
    Chelsea h
    Villa h
    Arsenal a
    Boro h
    Newcastle h

Thats everton's run in, first time i've looked at it, so i suppose your right in that do have the likely banana-skins of pool, arsenal and chelsea, with Villa being a tough game as well. They'll probably win the rest.

im still very wary over those 3 games for pool though, they could either keep our momentum going and send us into the final few games in great spirits full of confidence, or they could potentially shatter the confidence from the great run we've put together. I'm just always afraid pool might slip into the horror form that occupied the middle of the season.

Liverpools problem has never been the big games. Sure they might not do well against United in the last while, but it's not like they play **** in them. They can perform in big games. They are likely to win at least one of those ties against United Chelsea or Everton. It's the crap teams that they are **** against. That's where they have to perform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

FT Sunderland 0-1 Everton. Who's got the easier run in? Liverpool or Everton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Liverpools problem has never been the big games. Sure they might not do well against United in the last while, but it's not like they play **** in them. They can perform in big games. They are likely to win at least one of those ties against United Chelsea or Everton. It's the crap teams that they are **** against. That's where they have to perform

We've seemed to have turned that corner in the last few games, well since the West Ham result away[not including the result against Barsnley].
    Weve beaten Sunderland, 'Boro, Bolton, West Ham[home] and Newcastle.
    Scoring 16 and conceding 3. Drawing with Chelsea along that run.

Yeh that does seem to be the case. Which is why I think the smart money is on Liverpool for 4th. I'm just saying though, that depends on winning the 8 **** games, not the 3 big games. Infact, if Liverpool win those 8 crap games, and there's no reason why they shouldn't, I'd wager a lot that that will put them safely into fourth.

Its not the results (as in points gotten) of those arsenal and ManU matches im as worried about so much as the impact it might have on our form. Just think it would set back the great run we've been on against the lesser team if we suffered defeats in them (even if we do the usual and play well) and could see us draw some of the others. Confidence has been a very fickle mistress with Liverpool this season.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

we might aswell just win all 3 then we're right back in the title race :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

For the last few years it's always being our problem, going away to the ***** teams, but this year it's the results at home against these teams.
    Just looking at the league table there and we've drawn 11 games, the most in the league along with Fulham.
    If you look at 4 of those draws at home against Wigan, Villa, Birmingham and Spurs, for me that's 8 massive points dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

mayordenis wrote: »
    we might aswell just win all 3 then we're right back in the title race :P
    Sounds a bit out there but I could see it happen if we keep it together, sneak up on the rails as it were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

^^^^^

T4TF-shhhhh! dont tell anyone, its meant to be a suprise ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Arsenal 0 - 0 Wigan FT.

10 points ahead. 10 games to go. Believe! bahah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Woo! 10 points behind the top of the table... 11 points once ManU beat Derby.
    A shot in a million but if we beat ManU we've only 8 points to make up over 9 games. ManU have a few other games where they could easily drop points (Chelsea, Aston Villa, Arsenal). Of course Liverpool have some tough games too. Will be interesting to see how things stand after Liverpool's run of ManU, Everton, Arsenal. Christ, if we'd just one 2 of those games we drew we'd be right up there with a shot.

Come on Derby :-)

lads, we aint gonna win the league.

we can still finish close though if we finish the season well and go on a run. but lets not get carried away.

Lads, just to keep in mind, everything that can be said of you can be said of Everton :)

lets not get carried away PHB! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Never thought I'd be agreeing with Alan.

Lads, just to keep in mind, everything that can be said of you can be said of Everton :)

Yeah but Everton are Everton. They know their place. They dare not venture into the top 3 ;)
    PiE wrote: »

Its a dirty feeling isnt it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lads, we aint gonna win the league.

we can still finish close though if we finish the season well and go on a run. but lets not get carried away.

No, this was Rafa's plan all along. He's exactly where he wants to be :D

Let's just see how the next few weeks pan out. Arsenal and ManU have each other, Liverpool and Chelsea to play. Those are massive games.

Highly highly unlikely, if not impossible but never say never ;)

PiE wrote: »
    Tusky wrote: »
    Its a dirty feeling isnt it ?

leave it out!!!:eek::p:eek:

Bacchus wrote: »
    No, this was Rafa's plan all along. He's exactly where he wants to be :D

Let's just see how the next few weeks pan out. Arsenal and ManU have each other, Liverpool and Chelsea to play. Those are massive games.

Highly highly unlikely, if not impossible but never say never ;)

99% unlikely but still doesnt mean we cant dream! 10 games, 10 points behind and still have to play Utd & Arsenal and they have to play each other. It would require a run that would impress the gods on our part, winning every single game pretty much. While Arsenal, Chelsea & Utd would have to seriously slip up.

Id be happy if we finish within 5 points of 1st place. That would at least show a fair amount of progress from last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Yeah but Everton are Everton. They know their place. They dare not venture into the top 3 ;)

Well they're going to have to lose miserably to ManU at some stage, gifting them the league. Its their speciality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

We (and Arsenal) only have 9 games left. even if we won all of our games we would finish on 83 points, this means United would have to pick up less than 19 points from a potential 30, Arsenal 17 from 27 and Chelsea 25 from 33 for us to finish ahead of them. (i think my numbers are right but if not they aren't far off)

It's crazy to even suggest we have a chance. if we finish within single digits of the winners i would be chuffed, considering how poor we were for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Call_me_al wrote: »
    We (and Arsenal) only have 9 games left. even if we won all of our games we would finish on 83 points, this means United would have to pick up less than 19 points from a potential 30, Arsenal 17 from 27 and Chelsea 25 from 33 for us to finish ahead of them. (i think my numbers are right but if not they aren't far off)

It's crazy to even suggest we have a chance. if we finish within single digits of the winners i would be chuffed, considering how poor we were for a while.

Ye, thats the crux of it alright.

You might reel in one of them alright - that's not unthinkable(and at the moment that's looking like Arsenal:eek:), but for all 3 of them to drop the amount of points needed is entering the realms of fantasy...it just ain't going to happen.

Something I noticed while viewing some stats.

Torres has scored as many or more league goals than anyone in Seria A, La Liga, French Division one & Bundesliga bar Ronaldo.

Torres has scored more goals in all comps than anyone in Seria A, La Liga, French Division one & Bundesliga bar Ronaldo & Luis Fabiano.

In regards to goals from open play he has scored more than anyone in Seria A, La Liga, French Division one & Bundesliga bar Ronaldo who is 1 goal ahead.

Also noticed, Ibrahimov has a total of 20 goals (15 league and 5 in Europe) but a whopping 8 have come from the penalty spot. That means he has only score 12 goals from open play, less than half of Torres total!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Torres has scored as many or more league goals than anyone in Seria A, La Liga, French Division one & Bundesliga bar Ronaldo.

Torres has scored more goals in all comps than anyone in Seria A, La Liga, French Division one & Bundesliga bar Ronaldo & Luis Fabiano.

In regards to goals from open play he has scored more than anyone in Seria A, La Liga, French Division one & Bundesliga bar Ronaldo who is 1 goal ahead.

Also noticed, Ibrahimov has a total of 20 goals (15 league and 5 in Europe) but a whopping 8 have come from the penalty spot. That means he has only score 12 goals from open play, less than half of Torres total!

Anorak. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

In summary, Ronaldo is better than Torres :D

In all seriousness, cracking player ye got your hands on there. If I could pick any player in the league to have at United (apart from Essien, I worship that guy), then it would be Torres.

Anorak. :D

I'm just back from playing an hour of 5v5 and I am exhausted. All I have the energy to do is to look at stats!
    Archimedes wrote: »
    In summary, Ronaldo is better than Torres :D

In all seriousness, cracking player ye got your hands on there. If I could pick any player in the league to have at United (apart from Essien, I worship that guy), then it would be Torres.

Those stats are even more of a compliment to Ronaldo than Torres. A winger outscoring EVERYONE on the planet including Ronaldiniho, Messi, Kaka, Gerrard, Torres, Villa, Henry, Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, Adebayor, Shevchenko, Drogba, Raul, Aguero, Robiniho...the list goes on. And people still criticize him!

Stop this love-in! :mad: :p

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Dont fight it Mike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

*unzips pants*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    *unzips pants*
    hehe i LOL'd!

But seriously...
    mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

• Advertisement

Its unreal how a decent game of ball can totally put the world in such a better perspective! Before i left, i was looking at where we could potentially drop points in the race for 4th, seeing stumbling blocks everywhere, losses of confidence, stupid draws etc, I go play 6 a side, score some goals (7 but who's counting ;) ), have a good game, win the game, come back and we're all set to win the Premiership! I firmly believe the world revolves entirely around me and you're all just puppets dancing to the whims of my subconscious. Dance puppets, Dance!

Still though, probably shouldn't get carried away...id be delighted with a strong finish though, i said it before our run started that id be happy enough with the season if they rallied around, showed they still follow Rafa, that they can put a run together and rid us of any doubts of who our manager will be for next season. Stability is what we need, and a strong finish to take off from for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

The bitters have one foot in the quater finals of the european cup:eek:

Call_me_al wrote: »

Indeed.if we finish within 10 points of the winners it shows just how poorly all the top teams have been this year

Funny thread about Torres on a utd forum.

http://www.redcafe.net/f9/will-torres-thing-ever-stop-130035/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

a year and a half old, who found that?

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    a year and a half old, who found that?

Its on Redandwhitekop. Funnier one below. They seem genuinely upset that he doesn't play for them. The hatred between Mancs & Scousers is immense! I find it hard to understand myself. I suppose you would have to be born there.

http://www.redcafe.net/f7/torres-goal-190624/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Speaking of Torres....Michael Robinson did a great in depth show with him on his excellent programme on Canal+ Spain.

Here it is in 3 parts, with english subtitles.....Enjoy:) (see us Utd fans are not a bad bunch really;))

I dont hate the mancs. I love them:D

Nunu wrote: »
    Speaking of Torres....Michael Robinson did a great in depth show with him on his excellent programme on Canal+ Spain.

Here it is in 3 parts, with english subtitles.....Enjoy:) (see us Utd fans are not a bad bunch really;))

Cheers. To be fair, most of the people posting in those threads seem rational and fair but some of the posts are cringeworthy.

Gaffaw

Mike.

must admit i chuckled a little at this one;
    he still looks like a 15yr old barbarella.

Some highlights. I just find it hard to believe that there is a 13 page long Torres thread on a UTD forum..!

Although to be fair you would get equally ridiculous comments about the Mancs on a Liverpool forum.
    Originally Posted by REd FUn DevIl
    18 goals already in the league. He is just 3 goals away from Ronnie.

He is carrying Liverpool no doubt.

Originally posted by Dumpster
    Does nobody see the irony in this post?
    Originally posted by Frosty
    I hate Torres.
    Originally posted by Smashed Hombre
    What the hell does Benzema have to do with anything? 'Not gutted we missed out on Torres because Benzema gave us a much harder time' thats got to be one of the weirdest things I have read on here in a long time. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Benzema doesn't play for us either. Weirdo's.
    Originally posted by Drifter
    He plays for the dippers FFS.Try to get over it.
    Originally posted by Sylar
    Yep, joint with Ade and two behind our Ronaldo.

As said in the first post, bargain given his quality. Shame he went from one average team to another
    Originally posted by Raven Blade
    Are we **** over Torres again ?
    Originally posted by Don16
    People will say "Oh brilliant another Torres wankfest."

But the guy is on another planet to most strikers. He's amazing.
    Originally posted by Nanison
    I think every Torres thread start should be banned. This a United forum not a Torres forum or God forbid a Liverpool forum
    Originally posted by Sam#1
    One word, pathetic.

Absolutely pathetic. It just makes me cringe when reading through these Torres threads.

Yes, he's a very good player, but so what, there are plenty of very good players, but I don't see threads on them every week. People just need to get over the fact that he plays for Liverpool. Seriously, the bitterness is embarrassing. Liverpool are allowed to have some good players you know.

Torres is a good striker and plays for Liverpool, either deal with it, or go and support them.
    Originally posted by ADN11
    bloody genius, wish we had him i have to say.
    Originally posted by Plechazunga
    Crap decision though, that. They got Fernando Torres, we got Owen Hargreaves.

Like you, I don't like the school of fandom that gets all upset when any brilliant player goes to another club. However, this one does sting, because not only is he exactly what we need, but he's hugely strengthened the dippers.

Ah well, best get used to it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Funny thread about Torres on a utd forum.

http://www.redcafe.net/f9/will-torres-thing-ever-stop-130035/

he followed his heart alright...pity for united it lead to merseyside eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Great post Tusky, this quote mad me chuckle!

"Crap decision though, that. They got Fernando Torres, we got Owen Hargreaves." Hahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Pity Souness had to ruin that Michael Robinson piece by coming across as a small minded bitter shell of a man. I wouldn't mind but he had his chance at management there, and he made a complete mess of it. What makes him think he's now qualified to criticise others who are making a better fist of it than he ever did?.

Rafa might not be a local, but at least he'll never sell his story to the S*n like Souness did for forty pieces of gold.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement