Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Tusky wrote: »
    Must be more than that. Figures are off the top of my head so might be slightly off.

Torres - 22-26
    Mascherano - 18.6
    Babel - 10.6
    Lucas - 6
    Benayoun - 3-4
    Skrtel - 6
    Total: 66.2 - 71.2 (depending on which prices you believe)

Theres no way we sold 45 odd million worth of players.

Summer:In:
    Torres 21
    Babel 11
    Lucas 6
    Benayoun 4
    Leto 1.5
    Itandje 1.5

Total 45

Out:
    Bellamy 7.5
    Pongolle 3
    Garcia 4
    Gonzalez 4
    Cisse 6
    Paletta 1.5

Total 26

Net Spend 19m

January Window

In:
    Mascherano 17m (still a question mark over this i think it includes wages?)
    Skrtel 6

Out
    Sissoko 8

Net 15m

Total Net Spend 34m

Am I forgetting someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PiE wrote: »
    Will you please stop posting all of your opinions as though they are fact? Those 3 possibilities are picked out of thin air and are completely arbitrary. While they're all succesfull businessmen, every owner will be different. There's no "How To Milk a Premier League Team Dry" handbook.

DIC seem to be a lot of things but again you don't know. Stop plucking things out of your arse and gicking them onto this thread.

No no, it's ok, live in delusion. DIC are the greatest thing since, em, the last owners you welcomed with open arms. Jesus, grow up like, apply some business logic, cause that's what DIC are doing. DIC will screw over the club, just like G&H did, the only thing is that DIC will screw over the club in a much better way than G&H did.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Total Net Spend 34m

Am I forgetting someone?

Pfft, please stop dealing in facts. Everybody and their dog knows that Rafa Benitez has spent ONE BILLION DOLLARS since he came to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

dr.evil.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tom Hicks statement
    Mar 11 2008

A SPOKESPERSON for Tom Hicks said today:

"With regard to a report in today's Liverpool Echo claiming that "talks between [Tom Hicks] and Dubai International Capital collapsed after the Dubains proposed putting a fans representative on the Anfield board," I can confirm after consultation with Mr. Hicks and his representatives at the meetings with DIC that at no time during any such meetings did DIC propose, nor did Mr. Hicks or his representatives reject, any such proposal."

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Similar formation to recent weeks. Looks like Carra at RB.

Reina
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Hyypia
    Aurelio
    Lucas
    Mascherano
    Babel
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Torres

Subs:
    Itandje
    Riise
    Voronin
    Benayoun
    Crouch
    Pennant
    Arbeloa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Alonso to be sold in the summer to Barca or Atletico.
    Source: G.Ballague on Sky 5 min ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

zing wrote: »
    Similar formation to recent weeks. Looks like Carra at RB.

Reina
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Hyypia
    Aurelio
    Lucas
    Mascherano
    Babel
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Torres

Subs:
    Itandje
    Riise
    Voronin
    Benayoun
    Crouch
    Pennant
    Arbeloa

Excellent. I think Carra has played well out on the right when he's been put there. Cant believe Voronin is back on the bench. Can we not hide him under a rock or something and pretend he never happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Alonso to be sold in the summer to Barca or Atletico.
    Source: G.Ballague on Sky 5 min ago

Pure speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

mike65 wrote: »
    Tom Hicks statement

Mike.

[snip]
    Banned - Psi

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lets hope its another great night in Europe for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Tom hicks is a **********...:)
    Nice

Whatever you think about the man, that's not very clever. Smiley or not

ffs.

Gerrard is actually the highest scoring Englishman in the league and in all comps..!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

DesF wrote: »
    Nice

Whatever you think about the man, that's not very clever. Smiley or not

ffs.

jaysus, wats with the recent spate of thought policing DesF?

15 mins, heres hoping for tonight :D havent seen a game for 2 weeks now.

Jazzy wrote: »
    jaysus, wats with the recent spate of thought policing DesF?
    What?

You think it's ok for someone to be labelled a paedo?

Thought Policing?

I'm not having a go at the dude, or his thoughts.

Labelling someone a fúcking paedo isn't very nice, is it?

• Advertisement

Dunphy said he 'doesn't rate Inter.'

Did he not say last time that they were a top top team? Am I imagining all that?

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Dunphy doesn't rate Inter.

Did he not say last time that they were a top top team? Am I imaginging all that?
    He called them a nothing last time, iirc.

Said O'Shea would get a game for them:D

That argument infuriates me. If you take Torres and Gerrards goals out of the Liverpool side they would be 13th...of course they would, they are our two top scorers.

If you take Rooney & Ronaldos goals from utd they would drop many places.

Same with Adebayor & Fabregas. Same with any team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Dunphy said he 'doesn't rate Inter.'

Did he not say last time that they were a top top team? Am I imagining all that?

you're presupposing Dunphy is a rational analyst. we all know that's not the case.

lol nah, was just wondering if he is actually that much of a clown. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Dunphy's some idiot. He's saying if you took Gerrard and Torres out of the team, Liverpool would be in 13th. Woop di do! If you took Ronaldo and Rooney out of ManU would they still be top of the league??
    Where does he come up with this bull.

EDIT: Ah, Tusky beat me to it ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Dubit10 perm banned.

DesF, use report posts if you have a problem with a post.

Jazzy same goes for you.

Sums up RTE pundits. Paraphrased.

Eamonn "Ibrahimovic is not a great player, Ive seen a lot of him at Ajax and Juventus and hes only ok"

Giles The point is, 15 years ago Torres would be playing in Italy and Ibr...eh , whats his name ?

Brady Ibrahimovic...

Giles Yeah, hed be playing in England and Torres would be playing in Italy.

Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Great result, but a very iffy performance!! Maybe alonso might have made a difference in the middle tonight!!

Torres is an animal.... what a goal from him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Tusky wrote: »
    That argument infuriates me. If you take Torres and Gerrards goals out of the Liverpool side they would be 13th...of course they would, they are our two top scorers.

If you take Rooney & Ronaldos goals from utd they would drop many places.

Same with Adebayor & Fabregas. Same with any team.

It's quite silly alright

"If you take Carraghers and Hyypias tackles out of the game they'd lose!"

What?

ahh, soz. i didnt know he said that. i just thought he called him a f**ker or something

What?

ahh, soz. i didnt know he said that. i just thought he called him a f**ker or something

One of the reasons that I think this season has turned out to be not nearly as bad as we had thought earlier is the following.

Liverpools success is always going to be measured against the other big 3. The Carling cup has gone to Spurs and all of the big four are out of the fa cup. So, at max, 2 out of the big 4 can win a trophy this season. It could turn out that 3 out of the 4 dont win a single trophy.

If Liverpool cement 4th place and possibly overtake Chelsea into 3rd and finish under 10 points off top spot, thats a sizeable improvement over last year. Theres no reason why we cant do well in the Champions League as well.

Also, another big positive is the signings of Mascherano & Torres. They are two players that improve our first 11 immeasurably. The main thing holding us back at the moment is all the off field problems unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

great result :D missed the game though. Has kewell been forgotten. Seems a cert that he's going on a free. Wouldn't mind Alonso leaving as long as we got a top class replacement. everyone seems to be talking about reclaiming his first season's form for about 2 years now. getting really excited about the way the season is going now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really still just cant believe what a whimper Inter went out with! I know its their specialty in the CL, but still! Tonight, with a 2 nill deficit, i really expected them to be pushing us all the way and that i'd be on the edge of my seat for the 90, but instead nothing. The chance where Cruz should have squared the ball only emphesised that they did very little else...

Anyway, onward and upward, Schalke next please!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Without taking anything away from pool hard to push all the way with 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Without taking anything away from pool hard to push all the way with 10 men.

Thats true, but before the sending off they offered far less then I would have expected, and with 10 men, they offered far less then I would have expected out of a team that had 10 men and needed to score. They just never seemed to go for it at any point, it was like they came into the game expecting to be out and had no belief in themselves or something.

On another note, Patrick Vieira has gotten old looking hasn't he?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Aye, he's gettin on alright. But he had a decent enough game.
    I think Inter closed the first half really on top. Pool's passing in the Inter half was poor and Kuyt lost the ball constantly leaving that flank exposed.

Inter looked like they were starting to build in confidence a little and were putting together some neat passing moves on the edge of your area. Half time came at the wrong time for them I think and then with the sending off having to play 441 and Imbrahimovic being awful on the night it was only ever going one way.

To be honest if ye had not gone through there would have been something seriously wrong but there were times when Inter looked the only team that would score - tho that's not saying much either. Liverpool were there for the break and in one piece of magic from Torres ye got it. Job done but I can't see ye going much further if your performance does not rise. But after seeing United labour against Lyon and then ye playing tonight I'm a firm believer your play reflects the tie. Both teams will step it up when the need arises I reckon. Could end up a seriously high-stakes tournament if all four english sides get through the next one. Bragging rights guaranteed for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Very. he shouldn't have started frankly, the match just bypassed him. Some good defending by Liverpool tonight though, some great intercepts made. they were very hard to break down. Inter did themselves no favours though with how they set out their stall. while i like Cruz and Ibramhimovich as players, they aren't really fit for leading a line, more support strikers really, especially compared with Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A nice win by Liverpool on the night and a safe-ish passage to the last 8. Some good displays out there tonight. Mascherano was excellent. Gerrard too, and Torres, what can be said about him. One thing is for sure, people may complain about G&H, but they did bring us Torres, so surely that deserves some kudo's whether the are liked or not. Would Moores et al, or DIC, have brought in such a player with a 21m investment? The former unlikely and the latter we dont know as yet, or may indeed never know.

Carra did a good job at right back, and covered the odd time in the centre, although he didnt offer much going forward. Kuyt I thought wasted a lot when going forward, but he was back at right midfield and in right back locations, covering and working hard, when needed. Skrtel did okay, as did Hyypia. Liverpool defended quite deep though and Inter had a couple of half chances. On another night one of those would have gone in perhaps.

Aurelio was good enough, but Babel didnt have a good game. Perhaps the right back had his number but he was getting little joy, running, or passing, and gave away a lot of possession. He reaised that when he was subbed.

It was good to see Zanetti play well - but there was a certain studio pundit who in the past I had thought pasted him, yet at half-time was revering him. Lucas did okay, but no way as good as Masch. Reina was fine, governed his box well.

The Ref didnt hep Liverpool much at all. I think when he blew the whistle for that 2nd yellow for that guy, he didnt realise it was his 2nd yellow. He took an awful long time taking it out, you could see him calcuating whether it was be a deserved 2nd yellow or not, I think he was trying to recall the 1st yellow he gave him, if it was serious or not.

A nice result for Liverpool. Of course things could have been better. Gerrard and Torres were in several good moves, but whenever Kuyt or Babel becomae involved a pass went astray, the wrong option was taken or the move broke down.

Now, the draw will be interesting. Over 2 legs, I think Liverpool wont fear anyone. However, we probably would like to avoid Man Utd when compared with Chelsea and Arsenal. We could certainly battle Chelsea at any stage, and Arsenal. Man Utd have had our number though of late and it would be a stern test. Clearly a Fenerbahce or a Schalke or a Roma even would be ideal. But there are no easy teams. I know one thing is for sure, no-one will like to be drawn against Liverpool.

Its a very interesting set-up now .....

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

redspider wrote: »
    I know one thing is for sure, no-one will like to be drawn against Liverpool.

I would'nt quite say that, I want to see United and Liverpool in the QF ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Great result, the tie went a lot better than I expected in the wake of the Barnsley game!

We seem to have recaptured our form now, and looking at the remaining teams, we're in with a real chance against any of them. I'd obviously take Fenerbache in the next round, but the only team I'd be praying to avoid is Man Yoo - I think we have the number on the others. I'd love a Man Yoo - Pool final, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

On a side note:

Much has been made of Rafa's rotation policy, and many Liverpool fans (myself included) hold the opinion that it's been blown way out of proportion. However, Benitez apparently told the players in the wake of the Barnsley game that he'd be playing his strongest XI in the remaining games of the season. In the subsequent games, the formation has settled to 4-2-3-1, and the line-up has by-in-large been unchanged also. This run of games has also produced our best form of the season. I've always maintained, like many others on here, that the 4-2-3-1 system with Gerrard in an advanced role is our best system, and I'm glad that Rafa seems to be cementing it now.

Whatever about the power-struggle between Hicks and DIC, the future is still looking bright for us. Torres is an absolute revelation, the team are playing well and we're progressing in both the league and the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Not a great game last night, was expecting a whole lot more from Inter.
    Class finish from Torres. Would've liked to have seen Pennant on instead of Kuyt after Inter went down to 10 men.
    Anywho, job done.
    Really looking forward to the draw on Friday, don't want Chelsea, sick of playing them :p. Would love to see us play Man Utd in the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Reina was fine, governed his box well

Ah now, his two saves were a bit more than just 'fine' :/

Smashing goal, reminded me of the Drogba goal against us last season/2 seasons ago?

Poor enough game, Inter really should have scored once anyway but thems the breaks. God knows we've gone thru similar in games ourselves.
    However, Benitez apparently told the players in the wake of the Barnsley game that he'd be playing his strongest XI in the remaining games of the season.

:D Great news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Thats true, but before the sending off they offered far less then I would have expected, and with 10 men, they offered far less then I would have expected out of a team that had 10 men and needed to score. They just never seemed to go for it at any point, it was like they came into the game expecting to be out and had no belief in themselves or something.

Yeah Paddy Viera looks like he has piled on a few pounds, didn't look overly sharp at all last night.

Inter will look back at this game and wonder how they didnt threaten more. Liverpool disappointed me, especially in midfield how we continuously surrendered possession easily. How many times did Kuyt slip and fall when he was in possession?
    Expected Inter to throw alot more at Liverpool, crespo or figo on the bench might have made the difference if they were brought in at the right time. Onwards and Upwards for the pool though. Great to see Torres absolutely nail is only genuine chance into the back of the net.

Be interesting to see who we get in the next round, i genuinely dont hold any fears of anyone over 2legs in Europe, and if we were playing an English side we would hold possession better than last night, we wouldnt have the same fear factor i think. saying that i would be hoping for the easiest draw available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Rafa is not convinced that Alonso will re-capture his 2004/2005 season form and hence why I think we will see him move in teh summer back to Spain and maybe used in a deal to bring in a winger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I love Kyut's new wide-man tactic of hammering crosses straight into his opponents balls.

That's the kind of stuff that will beat any team.

All in all Liverpool looked in control all the way. Inter will be kicking themselves for not squaring it twice for a clear goal but they were never really in the tie.

Kuyt was sadly back to his old self last night, Pennant should have been on at half-time. Lucas was pretty damned useless to thank god for Masch - we missed Alonso. Anyway while I was disapointed we beat a 10 mna again (cue Lucky Liverpool) Inter were crap with 11 playing - some shocking attempts at goal and comedy defending.

Still who cares? :)

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Average performance last night i thought.
    Took the sending off to calm everything down and for Liverpool to actually hold onto the ball.
    Thought mascherano was as usual absolutly immense.
    For me what stood out last night was how completely awful some of Liverpools players are on the ball.
    Carragher with the ball at his feet is a complete nightmare, no vision and he just hoofs it
    as far away as possible. He is the worst man at the club with the ball at his feet now
    sissoko is gone.
    In fairness to him Lucas went missing for most of the match and Gerrard was playing in
    an advanced position so the defense had no link to the midfield until Viera went off
    and mascherano started to do the job of 2 people.
    Lucas for me has been really awful every time ive seen him. Always looks for the
    negative option, absolutly no pace at all, with zanetti leaving him for dead at least 5
    times in the match and only rescued by mascherano. Extremely disappointed with him
    yet again and for me he has had a very very poor debut season.
    Kuyt and babel in the wide areas were nothing short of atrocious.
    On a positive note thought Reina distribution was nothing short of spectacular.
    He was pinging 40 yard passes at ease and set up a number of breaks for Babel to
    fluff with his quick throw outs. That along with his 2 or 3 brilliant saves made him close
    with Mascherano for MOM.
    Torres, well what more can be said, Legend in the making.
    Wasnt having his best night, had less than a half chance and burried it. Quality

No fear in the next round with some easy ties with the likes of Schalke, Fernerbache and Roma.

And just to reiterate everyone elses comments, the RTE panel are nothing short of a disgrace.
    Before the first match those idiots were waxing lyrical about how strong Inter were,
    how good Ibrahimovic was and how strong the Inter bench was in comparison to
    the Liverpool bench.

What?

ah, soz. i didnt know he said that. i just thought he called him a f**k*r or something

• Advertisement

Everyone saying Liverpool were average or below par last night.

Yeah, that's because they earned the right to be. 2-0 up from the first leg, they didn't really have to push on, did they?

They came with a game plan, it worked, they beat the team that is top of Serie A 3-0 over two legs.

Everyone saying "ah but Inter had only ten men" - so fúcking what. Has your team never taken advantage of having the extra man? Is it Liverpool's fault that Inter have such poor discipline? Both sendings-off were as a result of a second booking. The type of bookings we see week-in week-out in the CL ffs, the players should have known better, if they didn't then they are foolish. Garsh red-cards maybe, but they weren't straight reds, and the four incidents taken seperately you wouldn't exactly be saying that any of them shouldn't have been yellows.

Inter didn't look like scoring at any time in the first leg, and whatever chances they created last night, they didn't take. Liverpool made one half chance, and scored. Simple.

Liverpool deserve to be in the Semi-Finals.

Well done to them.

Bitter nay-saying won't change that, bitter nit-picking makes you look foolish.

Jazzy wrote: »
    ah, soz. i didnt know he said that. i just thought he called him a f**k*r or something

np mate, I don't mind people being called clowns, fúckheads, **** etc, but that was disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

And so say all of us - but lets get the QF's out of the way first :D

zing wrote: »
    And so say all of us - but lets get the QF's out of the way first :D

I clearly meant Semi :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ya might want to wait and see how the quarters play out first before making statements like that.

Pacman is back!

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement