Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

spockety wrote: »
    What I would say is like Kaimera says, if we have to face United, it would be better to happen before the Final (if we got that far). I'm sure even United fans would not relish the prospect of a Liverpool V United final.

spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

kaimera wrote: »
    I'd rather Utd myself before the final. Over two legs I think we'd have them.

i'd agree with that myself. over 2 legs Rafa can beat anyone - just look at our league results with chelsea compared to our cl results. Rafa knows how to play over two legs in europe and i would be confident we could take united if we meet them in the next two rounds.

my heart couldnt take a final with united though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thing is, Rafa has beaten continental teams, Arsenal and United won't play a continental game against Liverpool, Chelsea did, and they lost it.
    Rafa is pretty much the master of the continental game, the English game he has more trouble with.
    Any of the English teams can beat any of the English teams.

I can't see why anyone would want to draw another English team in the next round, much prefer the 3 **** teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

yeh defo give me shalke any day over one of the english teams

Liverpool have won more European Cups than the other seven clubs who will join them in the hat put together and having earned their seat at the head of the continent’s top table thanks to decades of conquest, they should be among the teams to fear when the latest pairings are determined.

as always, he hits the nail on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote: »
    Thing is, Rafa has beaten continental teams, Arsenal and United won't play a continental game against Liverpool, Chelsea did, and they lost it.
    Rafa is pretty much the master of the continental game, the English game he has more trouble with.
    Any of the English teams can beat any of the English teams.

I can't see why anyone would want to draw another English team in the next round, much prefer the 3 **** teams.

I think the biggest issue of Liverpool doing well in europe under Rafa isn't the issue of 'continental style' etc, I think its down to the 2 legged nature of the games. Playing over 2 legs is obviously different to just a one off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Haha - like winning the trophy a few times decades ago matters anything now.

If you told Arsenal, Chelsea or Man U that they had to play one of the remaining English teams they would all pick Liverpool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i dont want any PL ties in the QF.... i want an all PL Semi Finals just to smear all over dunphies face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

If you told Arsenal, Chelsea or Man U that they had to play one of the remaining English teams they would all pick Liverpool.

Would Arsenal and United not want Chelsea more given their erratic form and
    general decline since maureen left?
    Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    as always, he hits the nail on the head.
    What?

Because they won 4 European Cups in the 80s, they should be feared this time?

They "deserve" to be there because of past glories?

No, sorry, they deserve to be there because they just beat Inter over two legs. Nothing else.

• Advertisement

what about 2005?

Yea yea - ye won it in 2005. We know Alan. And if ye win it again this year then I'll congratulate ye. But don't sit there saying that you should be feared because you won it a bunch of times before any of us boardsies were even born. Its pointless and has no bearing on your current form. Winning it even in 2005 doesn't make you any more likely to win it now. Especially when your three main domestic rivals are still in the competition and you've struggled against them domestically so recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah I think it would suit Liverpool not to play either Man U or Arsenal in the quarters...Chelsea on the other hand :p

IrishMike wrote: »
    Would Arsenal and United not want Chelsea more given their erratic form and
    general decline since maureen left?
    Just a thought.
    No way - we've won at Anfield as recently as a few months ago. Stamford bridge is a fortress regardless of which competition. And when away goals can be priceless I'd rather to to a place where your more likely to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

No way - we've won at Anfield as recently as a few months ago. Stamford bridge is a fortress regardless of which competition. And when away goals can be priceless I'd rather to to a place where your more likely to score.

But are Liverpool of a few months ago and Chelsea of a few months ago
    completely different teams now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I dont mind if Liverpool got an English team in the Quarter Final's its not going to be a permier league game as its going to be European refs

When did Chelsea won at Anfield was not this season or last season.

Last season 2 games at Anfield finsihed Liverpool 2-0 and Liverpool 1-0

This season it was 1-1 with a very dodgy pen given to Chelsea and if i remember correctly was Chelsea only shot on target in that game

Not really - chelsea are as much in touching distance of the league now as then. Admittedly the Pool have started to find some consistency ever since they've started playing a consistent team but psychologically I'd favour Liverpool. We know we can beat them.

Chelsea have been our main rivals up until Arse's return to form this season. Fair enough without Mourihno they lost their sting but the fact remains they are unbeaten at home in an age in the league and I think league form has to be considered when facing domestic rivals in any competition. Especially since any premiership clash between the big 4 is as big as most European nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Not so sure. When Utd won at Anfield in was at the end of your three CL group wins, while liverpool had beaten Fulham, Newcastle, and Bolton in between the CL games with the game against Reading the only f**k up. I knw they aren't stellar teams but apart from Inter Milan your recent run since Barnsley has included Boro, Bolton, West Ham and Newcastle hardly brilliant teams either. Only West Ham in the top and just barely there at that.

When we beat Chelsea they had just there manager and had a man sent of early on. I think they are stronger now than a few months ago. Plus the may only have the CL to aim for once the Q/F actually start.

Honestly as Utd fan if I had to play an English team I would face Arsenal. I know we can beat them, and I know they wont try get all tactical over the two legs. Liverpool and Chelsea might out fox us on the tactics over two legs.

All i am saying is (and i think TB is saying the same) is the we are deserved of some ****ing respect, which we seem to never ****ing get.

We have a record in Europe that most other teams can only dream off. Both in the past and currently.

In Europe since Rafa arrived ourselves and AC have been the two form teams, yet people are scared of AC only, they view us as overachievers and a weak link-its ****ing bollox tbh, even that ferdinand ****er coming out a while ago saying that the CL has been de-valued by us winning it!? get to ****!

We have beaten the likes of Barca, a Leverkusen side that demolished Real, Chelsea, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Chelsea again and yet people still dont afford us any respect it ****ing pisses me off no end. I aint saying we are gonna win the CL, or that we'd definately beat Utd, but we deserve some ****ing respect.

Thats the last i'm talking about it as its been done to death, anyone who wants to continue to talk about can PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

wskjdhskdhkahdk

Mr Alan and anyone else who would like us to draw Utd at some stage are life tilting me.

isahsiashiahdsugduag

Do you not want Schalke, Fernabache or Roma ffs? Then let either Utd and Arsenal or Barca and Arsenal or Barca and Utd do each other in with Chelsea taking the odd one out and the winners meeting in the semis. Who self conciously wants a difficult draw?

And it's not like we need a difficult draw to add legitamacy to another final appearance or title. We got tough draws the last two times we got to the final. I want the easiest available right now.

Christ. Get slightly unlucky in a couple of games and have a blip in form and its disaster central here and "RAFA OUT". Beat a couple of subpar teams in a row and suddenly everyone wants the best teams in Europe in succession.

ajdjdjgdjgsdjgsfjgsjfgjsgfjhs :mad:

Thats the thing Alan only the European press respect Liverpool. English media are living on what that rag The *** says and the bitter blue nose Andy Gray word is taken as gospel.

Your man who does the Spanish football in sky has said the Spanish press has more respect for Liverpool out of all the English teams for what they have done in Europe in recent seasons. Did you see the respect by the Inter fans last night too, they started clapping Liverpool near the end of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i would hate to get Utd in the final...much rather get them over 2 legs where i think we would beat them-in one match they have the upper hand it seems.

id take any other team in the final though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If we were to play United at some stage in the competition, id like it to be in teh Semi's. I dont want them in the final as there would just be mayhem, as well as the fact that Rafa is also definately better over 2 legs. But at the same time, i dont want them now, id prefer an easy draw, give every chance of someone else catching them on an off day and knocking them out. They're the only team i really fear thats left. The rest I think we'd have a 50/50 chance or better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

is the we are deserved of some ****ing respect, which we seem to never ****ing get.

um, we do.... just cos ppl arent swooning over our team is no reason to have a tantrum.
    our record against the top 3 in the PL over the past 3/4 years has been dreadful so how can u blame ppl for thinking that if one of the other 3 had to pick an english team to play, they'd pick pool. it just makes sense tbh.

we get plenty of respect for our form in europe. our consistency in the league has been gash and thats wat causes ppl to (rightly) question our quality vs. the top 3

All i am saying is (and i think TB is saying the same) is the we are deserved of some ****ing respect, which we seem to never ****ing get.

We have a record in Europe that most other teams can only dream off. Both in the past and currently.

In Europe since Rafa arrived ourselves and AC have been the two form teams, yet people are scared of AC only, they view us as overachievers and a weak link-its ****ing bollox tbh, even that ferdinand ****er coming out a while ago saying that the CL has been de-valued by us winning it!? get to ****!

We have beaten the likes of Barca, a Leverkusen side that demolished Real, Chelsea, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Chelsea again and yet people still dont afford us any respect it ****ing pisses me off no end. I aint saying we are gonna win the CL, or that we'd definately beat Utd, but we deserve some ****ing respect.

Thats the last i'm talking about it as its been done to death, anyone who wants to continue to talk about can PM me.
    Settle down man. You seem to want the fans of your domestic rivals to come in here and sing praise of Liverpool. I already said United play Liverpool with respect and confidence - if we didn't we'd be on the receiving end of some poor results.

Don't confuse lack of respect with lack of praise. But also don't presume that your past record in the champ's league entitles you to any kind of automatic qualification. If that was the case we'd have to chuck arsenal and roma out and let AC and Real back in.

I think this board will go into melt down, and half the users banned if Utd get Liverpool especially if its the semi's or in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I think this board will go into melt down, and half the users banned if Utd get Liverpool especially if its the semi's or in the final.

boards.ie will probably go down if that happens lol...there will be a posting war...would be great..personallly if it does happen i'll be banned...

stick-dan wrote: »
    boards.ie will probably go down if that happens lol...there will be a posting war...would be great..personallly if it does happen i'll be banned...

Well I got banned just before the last league game so I imagine it's a possibility for me to get banned again. To be honest it would prob be better to be banned for it. Might keep your sanity that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it'd be a tough choice between Chelsea and Liverpool. Personally I think Fergie has got Rafa's number, and United have got better players, while I think Grant has no tactical nous at all, but have equally good players. Then again, why would I want either of them, both of them are well capable of beating United over two legs.

I'd rather Fenerbache please :) Bring their dodgy as **** keeper along too, that'd be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

How many times have Chelsea beaten Liverpool over two legs in the past 3 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Sometimes I think that there are actually 2 PHB's. We have the guy who professes that (and yes I am paraphrasing) Rafa is only good for cup games, has some magical tactical nouse that shows him to be the better manager for 90mins in a cup game versus the league, and now we have the other PHB who seems to think that Liverpool are now cannon fodder for any team that meets them in this comp, and that Fergie has Rafa's number.

With the treble dream lying in shreds on the ground [Kevin Keegan] I would love it, just love it[/keegan] if we met Manu in the next round and put the nail into their CL coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Out of all the remaining teams, I think Arsenal are the ones I dont want.
    We have shown over the last few years, we can beat Utd and Chelsea in cup competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hobart wrote: »
    Sometimes I think that there are actually 2 PHB's. We have the guy who professes that (and yes I am paraphrasing) Rafa is only good for cup games, has some magical tactical nouse that shows him to be the better manager for 90mins in a cup game versus the league, and now we have the other PHB who seems to think that Liverpool are now cannon fodder for any team that meets them in this comp, and that Fergie has Rafa's number.

If fairness what he said is true. In the league, Utd have pretty much always come out on top since Rafa joined. He even went on to say that he doesnt want Liverpool as they are capable of beating utd. Both points are true.

How many times have Chelsea beaten Liverpool over two legs in the past 3 years?
    So you think that Chelsea would pick Man U or Arsenal instead. Despite going out against Liverpool twice. (once it was only a phantom goal between the sides) I still think Chelsea would rather the Pool. That was my point.

All pool fans do for every argument in here is drum up wins and results from 3 years/3 decades ago. In the here and now I believe Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U would all pick Pool if they had a choice.
    Hobart wrote:
    With the treble dream lying in shreds on the ground [Kevin Keegan] I would love it, just love it[/keegan] if we met Manu in the next round and put the nail into their CL coffin.

Thats the trouble - You and Alan both want United not because you want to win the champs league but because you want bragging rights and revenge if it turned out you could say you knocked us out. Seems you care more about your recognition amongst rival fans as you do about silverware.

You think squaring up to the big guys will make you the hardest kid in school.

Thankfully there are sane people here who realise Fenerbache and co. would be the much more ideal route through the comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So you think that Chelsea would pick Man U or Arsenal instead. Despite going out against Liverpool twice. (once it was only a phantom goal between the sides) I still think Chelsea would rather the Pool. That was my point.

All pool fans do for every argument in here is drum up wins and results from 3 years/3 decades ago. In the here and now I believe Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U would all pick Pool if they had a choice.

Thats the trouble - You and Alan both want United not because you want to win the champs league but because you want bragging rights and revenge if it turned out you could say you knocked us out. Seems you care more about your recognition amongst rival fans as you do about silverware.

Thankfully there are sane people here who realise Fenerbache and co. would be the much more ideal route through the comp.

thats not the reason, liverpool fare better against bigger teams (in europe), probably the way we set up, let them try break us down and hit them on the counter, we arent as comfortable being the agressor

No i want Utd for a few reasons, none are for bragging rights per say, although they would be nice too.

1. We've never had em in CL.
    2. Ferguson is tactically inept in Europe, he will try and be all "i am a genius" and make a show of himself, as he has done every year since 99.
    3. We have a good chance of getting them in the semis, if not the quarters. I dont know if i'd be able to take the pressure if we got em in the semis.
    4. I would love to put a nail in their CL coffin after how smug they're fans have been most of the year :) Treble dream already dead. Like to be the team that kills their "double" dream.
    5. I think of all the teams left in it, if we met Utd in the final, i think there would be serious trouble, resulting in people being hurt. and i dont want that.
    6. Night time games against the mancs in the latter stages of the CL would be magical.

If you wanna win the thing, which we are in it to do, you're gonna have to beat the best anyway. May as well do it now, or get knocked out trying.

After the mancs, my choice would be Schalke ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

every year they all want us,Juve wanted us,Barca thought we played sh#t football,Chelsea wanted us and Inter wanted us.Amazingly we were lucky against all those teams,the phantom goals,the ref helped us,Barca were in bad form.
    Personally i dont care who we get because i think over two legs the past 4 years we have shown we can take pretty much anyone.
    How lucky were we to score 2 in the nou camp,break the champions league record for goals in amtch and hold the two times italian champs scoreless.
    Let the Dunphys on here keep up the abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Sheesh there's no point in fans coming in here and devaluating Liverpool in Europe...they're experts at getting leads and not conceding, judge them when they / if they get knocked out

Take the matches between Liverpool and Chelsea this season then.. If it suits your argument more, go back to last season or even the season before.

I am pretty confident that the last team that the Chelsea players would want to face is Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Esp with Arvam Grant in charge. He is tactically clueless.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

only an idiot would genuinely prefer United or Arsenal to Fenerbache or Shalke.

Idiot my arse.
    Be fukin' great if we got Man Utd in the next round, we've never met in the CL before, could you imagine the atmosphere at both grounds, feck dude, it'd be fan-bloody-tastic.
    Whoever we get in the next round, we shouldn't fear them anyway.
    I don't think i could comprehend the pain of losing a CL final to United.

But could you comprehend the joy of beating them in a CL final ;)

No i want Utd for a few reasons, none are for bragging rights per say, although they would be nice too.

1. We've never had em in CL.
    2. Ferguson is tactically inept in Europe, he will try and be all "i am a genius" and make a show of himself, as he has done every year since 99.
    3. We have a good chance of getting them in the semis, if not the quarters. I dont know if i'd be able to take the pressure if we got em in the semis.
    4. I would love to put a nail in their CL coffin after how smug they're fans have been most of the year :) Treble dream already dead. Like to be the team that kills their "double" dream.
    5. I think of all the teams left in it, if we met Utd in the final, i think there would be serious trouble, resulting in people being hurt. and i dont want that.
    6. Night time games against the mancs in the latter stages of the CL would be magical.

If you wanna win the thing, which we are in it to do, you're gonna have to beat the best anyway. May as well do it now, or get knocked out trying.

After the mancs, my choice would be Schalke ;)
    Two out your 6 reasons involve rubbing it either "tactically inept" fergie's or the "smug" fans faces and yet bragging rights/revenge have nothing to do with it. Aye right.

If ye wanna play us for the spectacle than say so, but the fact you seem intent on highlighting United's poor form in the Champs league of late while constantly barking about how pool aren't respected by United (or other) fans shows you're suffering from inferiority issues. I notice how its particularly United you want - and how Arsenal/Chelsea you don't want even tho other fans here think Chelsea wouldn't want ye - which means some must think Chelsea aren't up to ye suggesting Chelsea are the easier tie.

You hate it that United worry about other teams while you worry about United.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Idiot my arse.
    Be fukin' great if we got Man Utd in the next round, we've never met in the CL before, could you imagine the atmosphere at both grounds, feck dude, it'd be fan-bloody-tastic.
    Whoever we get in the next round, we shouldn't fear them anyway.

I didn't actually think of this before. The atmosphere in both grounds would be absolutely amazing. The problem is though, United are genuinely a better team and just as capable at playing at our pace.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    But could you comprehend the joy of beating them in a CL final ;)

The heartbreak of loosing to them in the final would be far greater than the joy of beating them to be honest. It would be fantastic occassion but I couldn't go through it.

Two out your 6 reasons involve rubbing it either "tactically inept" fergie's or the "smug" fans faces and yet bragging rights/revenge have nothing to do with it. Aye right.

No. One of my six.

Saying Ferguson is "tactically inept" over two legged ties isnt rubbing it in. Its just me saying that since 99, he has tried to play in the CL the way the great European teams do, as opposed to sticking to Utds strengths. This pisses off a lot of Utd fans no end, so dont take it out on me, go into the Utd thread after any European game and the fans are moaning about him messing around in Europe. i'm pretty sure he would continue that if he drew us in the CL.

As for Chelsea and Arsenal-I have doubts as to whether Arsenals players would be able to stand the heat in Anfield on a European night. Granted, they did in the San Siro, but i wouldnt be quite sure if they could in England, with all the build up the game would get etc etc. Plus remember that we have finished ahead of Arsenal the last 2 seasons, and gave them a footballing lesson at Anfield towards the end of last season. The game against them this year was a close affair, where got a late equaliser. Nothing to fear with them imo.

Chelsea on the other hand, do scare me a little, they are die a result against us in Europe! the law of averages has to come into effect at some point! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

utd wont make it to the final, whether we get the in the quarters or semis i'd be pretty happy and confident that we'd brush them aside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Any Liverpool fans on here who want to meet United in the next round are mental. I want Schalke or Fenerbahce in this round. Hopefully get through and then get a big team(or preferably Roma). Bóllox to all this shít about wanting to beat United for bragging rights, id be pretty sure that they would beat us over 2 legs(same with Arsenal) despite what we've done in Europe for the last 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Chelsea on the other hand, do scare me a little, they are die a result against us in Europe! the law of averages has to come into effect at some point! :)

I agree with this and although we knocked them out twice, they were better than us the first time (much better) and it was pretty even last season. That's the magic of a cup contest. If we played Chelsea 100 times even now, they would win 55 times (no draws - unscientific)

In order I'd like to play in the QF:
    Fener
    Schalke
    Roma (We would be favourites against any of these)
    Barca (Rafa's tactics and their injuries would make this 50-50)
    Arsenal (Still think they might be frail mentally)
    Manchester (Although better than Chelsea, we play them in the league the same week too!)
    Chelsea

Not scared of any of these teams though. Would definitely like to see Manchester play Chelsea.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Blogs/A-to-Z-of-Bloggers/Ben-Blackmore/2008/03/Will-people-shut-up-about-Torres/

Rafa Benitez has to be the only manager in England who can dump the Italian champions out of the Champions League - on their own turf - and get criticised for doing so.

Liverpool moved ominously into the last eight of the Champions League for the third time in four years on Tuesday, yet despite a European record that Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger dream about, Benitez instantly faced scarcely-veiled criticism.

Related Links
    Football
    It surrounded Fernando Torres, who had just leathered in his 26th goal of a wonderful season, justifying a huge Benitez gamble in spending £20.1 million on the Spanish superstar, who had scored just 14 goals the previous season for Atletico.

Liverpool had just beaten Inter, and looked comfortable doing so, so what could Benitez expect as his first question?

This is what he got: "Fernando Torres is in wonderful form, but should he have played more games at the start of the season, and can Liverpool fans expect to see him play every game until the rest of the season?" Or words to that effect.

Now I won't mention names, but anybody watching coverage of the game on T.V will know who I mean when I then turn to an even worse comment: "How many goals could Torres have scored had he not been in and out of the team all season? Wouldn't Liverpool fans swap the Champions League for the League?"

More criticism of Rafa's 'rotation policy', where apparently he has dropped Fernando Torres more times than Paul Robinson drops footballs.

So here is a fact for all those who bang on with this 'if only Torres had played more games' nonsense.

Of the Premier League games that Torres has been fit for this season, he has been rested only twice, the last of which came six months ago. The only other game he came off the bench for was on his return from injury against Fulham. A game he scored in and Liverpool won.

Cristiano Ronaldo meanwhile, has been rested three times, and United lost one of those games away at Bolton.

Liverpool aren't trailing United because Torres missed two games, they are trailing because they are not good enough over the course of the season - yet.

The two games Torres was rested for, came just two weeks before he picked up a thigh injury that saw him miss over a month of the season. Maybe Rafa knew something.

After all, Frank Rijkaard suffered similar criticism for resting Lionel Messi, right before the Argentine also suffered a muscular injury.

As crazy as it sounds, maybe Rafa knows more than these clueless pundits who continue to use magnificent victories like Tuesday night to bash the Liverpool boss.

I wouldn't bet against him having a second European Cup in his locker to prove it in May.

Alan - I accept your opinion of Fergie's record in the Champs league but your choice of words "he would make a show of himself" against Liverpool is just madness. You think Fergie doesn't know how to play Liverpool? He's dominated Liverpool in the league and knows exactly how to deal with Gerrard - What difference do you think the fact its Champs league make. Fergie does play strange tactics - but against Strange teams in the sense they are unknown and foreign. If we drew Liverpool I would be damn sure it would be 442 all the way and nobody would be "making a show of himself".

You are trying to match the Liverpool that plays a Euro team with the United that plays a Euro team. What you are not considering is the fact that if these two meet there is no Euro team involved and what we would see is a match in much the same shape as a domestic match in which case Liverpool recent success or United lack of same in the champ's league would count for nothing.

You harp on about fans not showing the Pool respect and admiration yet you make crazy claims that fergie would "be made a show of" if we drew Liverpool. Respect is earned my friend, and normally must be mutual.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement