Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Doesn't matter how good you think Bentley is. You'll end up way overpaying for him because of the traditional overvaluation of English players. It would be a deal that wouldn't represent value for money and would piss me off (Bellamy, Pennant anyone?).

Solution? Don't touch English players with a bargepole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if we were just looking at english players i would love ashley young (carson + riise + 7m would do it i would say) to take that 7 shirt. although i would be happy with Bentley for less than 10m.

wishful thinking? probably...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Bentley would cost a small fortune unfortunately being English. He is class though.
    Is he not a lot like Pennant though? He couldn't make the breakthrough at Arsenal, dropped down to a lower team and seems to be doing pretty well there. Maybe he's just found his level? He hasn't played in the Champions League either. Given the silly money that is lavished on English players though, he probably would cost a small fortune though :mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

malice_ wrote: »
    Is he not a lot like Pennant though? He couldn't make the breakthrough at Arsenal, dropped down to a lower team and seems to be doing pretty well there. Maybe he's just found his level? He hasn't played in the Champions League either. Given the silly money that is lavished on English players though, he probably would cost a small fortune though :mad:.

Bently is also a current England international, and I'd expect him to take over the RM/RW spot from Beckham. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

gucci wrote: »
    So i guess its off to Newcastle for him then. I wonder will he genuinely be disappointed with his career once he finishes up playing or will he care? His early days at leeds promised so much

He promised so much and was so unlucky with injuries. I kept the faith with him all the way through to this season, because he always seemed to try and none of the injuries were his fault. But this season his attitude and work-rate were appalling. Especially given his future at the club and possibly his career were in jeopardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

zAbbo wrote: »
    Bently is also a current England international, and I'd expect him to take over the RM/RW spot from Beckham. :pac:

He's a tremendous player - a step up from Pennant. His delivery (something we are terrible at) is second to none.

afair he has had about 2-3 times pennants assists over the last 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Bentley would certainly improve us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

and he'd spell the end for Stevie G's awful corner taking monopoly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

^^ what is with that by the way!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Auerlio and Alonso should assigned that job.

Miek.

was watching the road to istanbul dvd and finnan took a few of the corners, they were quite effective - wouldnt mind seeing him do it again. Only problem is it would mean one of the CBs would have to stay back at corners.

oh and he would have to be fit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

and he'd spell the end for Stevie G's awful corner taking monopoly

I was watching Everton last night thinking I wish we could apply as much pressure at corners as they do.

Off to wash my mouth out now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

4000th post.

Anyone else loving the best kop chant in a long time?

His armband said he was a red, torres! torres!
    You'll never walk alone it said, torres! torres!
    we brought the lad from sunny spain,
    he gets the ball, he scores again,
    Fernando Torres Liverpools number 9!

complete with the "na na na na na na na na" chorus and bouncing. Cracking. Great player deserved of a great tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osf36X99UrQ

bit of the tune and bouncing at about 2.30. who takes these vids at games!?

Rafa, in case you frequent Boards.ie - don't mind PHB, he's full of ****e! and remember who loves ya! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

^^^^^
    i was wondering what it was they were singing about him. brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Noticed this on RAWK. Not too bad for such a defensive boring side!

Goals in All Competitions

1. Liverpool 97 goals (in 46 games)
    2. Arsenal 93 (47)
    3. Spurs 89 (47)
    4. M Utd 83 (42)
    5. Chelsea 81 (47)
    5. Everton 77 (45)

Not bad at all, reaching the ton soon enough I should imagine. We do create quite a lot of chances and we did play a couple of games more than the two of the top teams.

Regardless of what is said though, there will be knockers who will give any number of reasons why we are not the attacking team that the others are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

minus that beiktas game :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mayordenis wrote: »
    minus that beiktas game :P

In fairness Arsenal put 6 or 7 past S.Prague. Everyone gets to play crap opposition.

• Advertisement

In the "Plastic" Treble season 'pool scored about 130 goals and let in 40ish I think.

Just having a think about 3 at the back

When Agger is back might three centre-backs might be the way forwards for some games? Using Auelio as a wing-back on the left side, could Pennant do the same on the right?

Reina
    ----Carra---Skrtel---Agger
    Masch
    Pennant----Alonso
    Aurelio
    Gerrard
    Crouch----Torres

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I certainly wouldn't have much faith in him doing any defensive work. I was thinking the other day that while this 1-up-front formation is doing well, we could probably let the reigns out a little for home games against relative cannon fodder by playing:

Masch
    Kuyt
    Aurelio
    Gerrard
    Babel----Torres

Doubt Rafa would ever go for it but it'd be nice to see against some weaker teams where the 2 CB's and Masch would have no problems coping. Having said that we've only got 4 games left at home this season and the easiest is this weekend vs Reading so I can't see it happening.

Are people already writing crouchie off then ? I have noticed recently that he is not featuring as much in the teams people would like to see. I am disappointed that he is not playing more, he offers something different to Torres (height for one), Kuyt (goals ;)) and voronin (sustained fitness).

I wonder will we ever see crouchy getting a run in the team at all any more ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The problem with Crouchie at the moment is in Rafa's new formation, He can only play in torres position, and Torres is gonna win that one every time. I think crouchies only chances will come either if we need more potency and drop one of the holding Midfielders, bring in crouch and have the wide men play a little more defensively, or else when the game is won, Torres off, Crouch on.

Its hard to argue with results, and the 4-2-3-1 has been getting them. 6 wins on the bounce now, 7wins and a draw in the last 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This what I predict becoming the case next season ;)

Reina
    Arbeloa
    Skrtel
    Agger
    new
    Alonso
    Mascherano

Babel
    Gerard
    Henry

Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

This what I predict becoming the case next season ;)

Reina
    Arbeloa
    Skrtel
    Agger
    new
    Alonso
    Mascherano

Babel
    Gerard
    Henry

Torres

Carra? Looks like we're only (an allegedly past-it) Thierry Henry away from a fantasy team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wouldn't be too keen on Henry. No doubting his class, but he's a bit of a sulk, struggling with injury for a few years and he's getting on in years. He'd be huge money on wages too.

We are only one or two players away from a formidable first eleven though. One full-back and one attacking midfielder/second striker and we're looking good. Who? Philip Lahm and one of Silva/Aimar/Diego, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Wouldn't go sticking Alonso into too many teams for next year. Good chance he won't be around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

zing wrote: »
    Wouldn't go sticking Alonso into too many teams for next year. Good chance he won't be around

And you are basing this on what exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Call_me_al wrote: »
    was watching the road to istanbul dvd and finnan took a few of the corners, they were quite effective - wouldnt mind seeing him do it again. Only problem is it would mean one of the CBs would have to stay back at corners.

oh and he would have to be fit....

One of the most frustrating things this season is our lack of threat from corners,(its going on longer than a season!) considering we have Sami playing alot of games its really aggravating he has only score2 or 3 goals when you see the amount say lescott has scored (although thats an exceptional case!)
    We should really be doing better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Aye, Gerrard can score some crackers from 20/25 yards out, hit a crossfield ball from 40/50 yards and yet can't get a decent ball into the box from a corner.
    Gerrard shoud be outside the box waiting for any rebounds so he can have shot at goal.
    Wonder how many goals we have scored as a result of a corner being taken this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Alonso hasn't been great the last two seasons, but I'd be surprised if Rafa let him go now that he seems to prefer a five man midfield.

It's all gone very quiet on the DIC front, does this mean that when Hicks said no he really meant no?

IrishMike wrote: »
    And you are basing this on what exactly?

Various reports over the last few months that suggest him & Rafa have had something of a falling out - not just Xabi deciding he didn't want to travel this week. Rafa & him were very close when they both first arrived and he was considered to be Rafa's golden boy by those in the team/club - if the reports are to be believed that's anything but the case now.

Not saying he will defo be going as nothing is definite but there does appear to be enough indications of him and Rafa having had a falling out and word is that he feels that it's time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gerrard is about our best header of the ball after Hypia too, which makes him still taking the majority of corners even more annoying.

shotamoose wrote: »
    It's all gone very quiet on the DIC front, does this mean that when Hicks said no he really meant no?

Maybe he did but there's a good chance it was just him playing hardball and holding out for more money. Also remember he's just 1 of 3 parties involved - DIC haven't withdrawn the offer and Gillet hasn't turned it down so there's still scope to resurrect it.

If talks are ongoing hopefully someone involved has insisted on a media blackout so they can just get on with it without the press trying to re interpret every word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The single most annoying thing about Stevie taking the corners has to be the amount of times he fails to beat the first man.

I know it's not just Stevie though.

Just about every professional footballer.

I hate it.

If I was a manager of a Professional Team, I'd fine them for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yeah you'd imagine being professional that getting the elementary things right would be like second nature...

yeah you'd imagine being professional that getting the elementary things right would be like second nature...
    Agreed.

Foul throws also annoy the ever livin' shíte out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Another one that annoys me, is when defenders come up for free kicks, but the free kick wizard decides he'd rather shoot instead and balloons it over the bar with the defenders trudging back down the field...

on the subject of wastefulness, I was reading an interesting article recently in World Soccer about goalies and their general habit of booting the ball upfield from goal kicks, and how this, more often than not, loses their team possession....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Gerrard shoud be outside the box waiting for any rebounds so he can have shot at goal.
    Wonder how many goals we have scored as a result of a corner being taken this season.

I would warrant a guess at maybe <3 in premiership/FA Cup. We got a few outrageously soft ones in Champions league from shocking defending.
    DesF wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Foul throws also annoy the ever livin' shíte out of me.

Yeah me also, what rots my sh1te even more is how many they get away with in every game, and refs in amateur leagues are so anal about it then.

• Advertisement

Pepe Reina balls distribution with his throws is fantastic, he should never kick out.

Mike.

Yeah agreed, it makes sense. It's just a bit bafffling, why persistently lose possession? You're only gonna have an x% chance of winning the ball each time anyway, unless you're a Zigic, Koller or Crouch...

I would warrant a guess at maybe <3 in premiership/FA Cup. We got a few outrageously soft ones in Champions league from shocking defending.

Yeah me also, what rots my sh1te even more is how many they get away with in every game, and refs in amateur leagues are so anal about it then.

Finally, someone on a board who uses less than 3 for its proper meaning. (anyone know what the kids these days mean when they type <3, I havent the foggiest?)

Finally, someone on a board who uses less than 3 for its proper meaning. (anyone know what the kids these days mean when they type <3, I havent the foggiest?)
    <3 is a heart.

I <3 U :o

I actually read it as "heart" in the post, and I got confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

zing wrote: »
    Various reports over the last few months that suggest him & Rafa have had something of a falling out - not just Xabi deciding he didn't want to travel this week. Rafa & him were very close when they both first arrived and he was considered to be Rafa's golden boy by those in the team/club - if the reports are to be believed that's anything but the case now.

Not saying he will defo be going as nothing is definite but there does appear to be enough indications of him and Rafa having had a falling out and word is that he feels that it's time to move on.

?
    I didnt see any of these various reports and i read crap like this thread every day ;)
    He got injured and his form was crap when he got back into the team.
    Rafa basically told him that he wouldnt be getting back into the team until his form improved and it has.
    He didnt travel this week because his wife was in labour.
    Stop talking crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

mike65 wrote: »
    Pepe Reina balls distribution with his throws is fantastic, he should never kick out.

Mike.
    I bet you didn't think that when he setup Torres against Fulham earlier this season! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

[Foul Throws...]

TBH Throw-ins p1ss me off. Whatever happened to that idea that they'd restart with a kick-in. Maybe a kick-in with no run-up allowed or a kick-in that can't leave the ground so as not to make an attacking throw-in like a corner.

I hate taking throw-ins even now!

DesF wrote: »
    <3 is a heart.

I <3 U :o

I actually read it as "heart" in the post, and I got confused.

Ah, it all starts to make sense. So Mr. Alan <3's Torres or can it be pluralised like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Zanetti hails Mascherano as Pool's unsung hero
    "Mascherano does not get the credit he deserves," said Zanetti. "Liverpool have some big players, they are very big players and they deserve their reputation.

"We know Torres is a killer. Gerrard is a fantastic player and I like him very much. Everyone would like him in their team, because he is one of the best in the world, no question.

"But are Liverpool a two-man team? No way. Mascherano is world class, I know that because I have seem him playing close up for Argentina and I can tell you how good he is. He gives Liverpool a lot of things.

"He keeps them together, and you could see how important he was over the two legs against Inter.

"I embraced him at the end of the tie and told him that he had won it for Liverpool, because he was a lion for them. He was everywhere. I think it is unfair to say that they are just Gerrard and Torres because they are Mascherano too. You need a player like him who is intelligent and can make the team work.

"With him in the side you are safe, and you can play. Argentina know that, and I think Liverpool do too. I think Torres and Gerrard can play because they are confident in Mascherano.

"They know he is there for them, to give them the ball and cover behind. He can play too, he can pass the ball to them, and make the runs for them.

"I knew when we drew Liverpool it would be a difficult game because they have Gerrard and Torres, but because they have Jav too. He is hard to get past, and he makes them strong."

Zanetti has also insisted it's no shame to have been knocked out by Liverpool, even though Inter were red hot favourites to progress when the tie was drawn.

"People made us favourites to win, and we had the chances to beat Liverpool, but it is no shame losing to them," he said. "I cannot understand why people are surprised that they do well.

"They have world class players in important positions in their team. Their goalkeeper was very important against us, they have Carragher who Europe knows, and they have Torres and Gerrard.

"But they have Mascherano too, and he is just as important. With five players like that who are big players, Liverpool are a hard team to play against, and it is no surprise that they are the Champions League team."

• Advertisement

IrishMike wrote: »
    ?
    I didnt see any of these various reports and i read crap like this thread every day ;)
    Good for you
    He got injured and his form was crap when he got back into the team.
    Rafa basically told him that he wouldnt be getting back into the team until his form improved and it has.
    He didnt travel this week because his wife was in labour.
    Stop talking crap
    Whatever

I said it wasn't about Xabi not traveling this week - I agree with him wanting to remain behind as most people would. I first heard about a falling out between the two probably around this time last year but dismissed it at the time. Since then there's been reports of a handful of subsequent incidents between the two with him supposedly having fallen out of favour big time.

Believe what you want.. I'd genuinely love for what I've read to be wrong as I'd love to see him regain the form from the 04/05 season.

btw - he's not married

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement