Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and his wife is not in labour. he stayed behind in case she went into labour afaik.

"in case she went into labour" is not a good enough reason for him to stay behind imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    "in case she went into labour" is not a good enough reason for him to stay behind imo.
    wtf? There could be any number of complications with the pregnancy, that you don't know about.

Families are more important than any football match, and if fans can't accept that, then they are just fúckwits.

IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Srsly, lol.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

And she did have a baby that night.. it was mentioned to Rafa in the post match interview where he was asked about Xabi's absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

zing wrote: »
    Good for you
    Whatever
    btw - he's not married

Are you a pedantic version of Paris Hilton in disguise or something :rolleyes:
    Since then there's been reports of a handful of subsequent incidents between the two with him supposedly having fallen out of favour big time.
    There has been no reports of a big falling out.
    Stop talking complete ****e will you.
    I could say Fergie has told Rooney to lose 2 stone and shave more often and
    it would have the same amount of truth in it as what you are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

DesF wrote: »
    wtf? There could be any number of complications with the pregnancy, that you don't know about.

Families are more important than any football match, and if fans can't accept that, then they are just fúckwits.

IMO.

+1 well said.

i do hope alonso starts more games to the end of the season and shows signs of regaining form. i feel he offers a range of passing and insight(when in form) from holding midfield position that neither masc or lucas possess.
    not saying either arent great players, i just feel alonso alongside masc is the perfect combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

IMO.

Exactly, in the age of premiership superstars being involved in many idiotic off field antics, its nice to see one genuinely doing the right thing by his family. (while obviously proving he is whipped to the core, sorry Xabi :pac:)

The CL Draw is live now on http://www.rte.ie/live/ streaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Are you a pedantic version of Paris Hilton in disguise or something?

I can see this chant being a popular one on the terraces.

pedantic and Paris Hilton ....hmmmm :pac:

IMO.

Chill out Des, i dont wanna have to think carefully through all my posts before i put them up.

True, there could be complications with the pregnancy, that i don't know about, there could extenuating circumstances in nearly everything discussed on these boards, rendering our meanderings invalid and pointless.

If i'm not mistaken Rafa said Xabi was due to fly out, but kept saying he may not be able to go if his child arrived or mrs went into labour-Rafa told him then that he wasnt coming as Rafa needed to plan for the match, with the resources he KNEW he would have available. Fair enough.

What i'm saying is on the basis there is no complications etc

But when getting paid 50k a week to play for a club, the chance that a GF may have a kid while on an away trip does not warrant missing the trip imo.

If she had the baby on the night. Fair play. I'm not sure if she did though?

I like Alonso, and hope he doesnt leave. But supposedly Rafa has had him training with the reserves a few times in an attempt to improve his hunger and attitude.

Anyway, they should have induced labour like Stevie got his Mrs to do before the FA cup in 2006 :)

And i agree, family is more important than football. Although, Des, i seem to remember, not long ago, a certain declaration involving your mother and Shels? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

spockety wrote: »
    The CL Draw is live now on http://www.rte.ie/live/ streaming

noice loike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

But when getting paid 50k a week to play for a club, the chance that a GF may have a kid while on an away trip does not warrant missing the trip imo.

so if u were a pro footballer and ur wife was having a kid ud jet off to italy for the night and potentially miss the birth? somehow i very much doubt that.
    job > family? i think in your case ur just thinking club > family... nah more rafa > family. stop being silly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anyone giving out about Xabi missing the game is an idiot IMO. When it comes down to it, its a job for Xabi, how would you feel if you were sacked(cant really be sold) if you took a day off to be with your GF who was about to give birth?

He done the right thing by his family which we should all respect, we got through the game very easily so i dont see what all the fuss is about, just too many peopl ereading the sensationalised reporting in the rags all week.

We got arsenal.

Utd got Roma

Schalke V Barca

Chelsea V Fenerbache

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arsenal Vs Liverpool

Mike.

Arsenal, we've got them at Anfield in the 2nd leg.

What an atmosphere that will be

thats my point lads, i wouldnt get time off in anticipation of my wife giving birth?! Xabi is paid quite a bit more than me too, its all relative.

We can beat Arsenal.

If we beat Arsenal we have Chelsea or Fenerbahce. Home in the first leg

Chelsea again :D

Semi final will be Arsenal/Liverpool winner will play Fenber/Chelsea at home

Mike.

thats my point lads, i wouldnt get time off in anticipation of my wife giving birth?! Xabi is paid quite a bit more than me too, its all relative.

We can beat Arsenal.

Well what the hell kind of job are you in. She was due to give birth that day(which she did), of course you would get time off. Just like Xabi should have got, no questions asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Mr Alan - I take it you've never been in a position where your wife/gf was due to give birth and you were asked to travel for work ? I have and was increasingly reluctant to as the due date got closer until it to the stage where I refused to travel. With my youngest child in the couple of weeks coming up to the due date I didn't even go into the office if I could get away with it and teleworked whenever I could. How much money he's getting paid is irrelevant - it's something most fathers/fathers to be want to be there for no matter what.

Nice and handy one :pac:

Could well be the possibility of beating all the other three English teams if Liverpool want to pick up the cup

look. i aint slating the lad for it, simply sayign i'd have prefered if he played.

I dont think it was her due date tbh and if it was if it was me, i would have induced the birth as countless footballers have done before so they can be eligable for big games, and i have yet to see a link saying she gave birth.

I'm confident we can beat Arsenal.

Take it to Personal Issues or PMs this is nothing to do with football frankly.

Arsenal - Liverpool. It certainly can be done but they are probably the last team we wanted in truth. Wenger is smarter than Fergie or Grant would be.

Mike.

its a pity ur idiocy on this matter wont really be exposed now that the draw is made.

anyhow. we can beat arsenal. they are my preferred PL team to take on tbh

Why is Parry wearing an italian table cloth as a shirt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Lads if we win the CL beating Arse, Chelsea and Utd en route we could just stop being a football club and live off the gloating forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Arsenal, hmm no easy games at this stage thats for sure.

1218: Liverpool chief exec Rick Parry says he's disappointed with the draw - especially as it means his club will face Arsenal three times in a week with a league match sandwiched in between the two legs of the quarter-finals.

Ouch - just got a whole lot bigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Parry says he's disappointed with the draw. Thats a bit unusual is it not? Usually they try and put some sort of positive spin on these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i agree to an extent with mr. alan. Xabi is being paid a LOT of money to play for the club and for the 10 years MAX he stays with the club, Liverpool should be his priority. Now the only thing is there is no way he will be fully concentrating on the match, so it probably wouldnt have been wise to use him.

but Stevie had the right idea ;)

Calm down calm down, gotta get past Arsenal first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Toughest draw possible to be honest.
    More than likely have to beat all 3 teams to win the CL this year.
    Onwards and upwards.

PS Mr Alan you really done wonders for your already stellar reputation with that Alonso comment :rolleyes:

IrishMike wrote: »
    PS Mr Alan you really done wonders for your already stellar reputation with that Alonso comment :rolleyes:

Yea - i'm a knobhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Pighead wrote: »
    Parry says he's disappointed with the draw. Thats a bit unusual is it not? Usually they try and put some sort of positive spin on these things.
    Parry with moronic statement; hold the presses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pighead wrote: »
    Well he only said it because, "it means his club will face Arsenal three times in a week with a league match sandwiched in between the two legs of the quarter-finals"

3 massive games, but at least there's no travelling and the second leg is at home.

I reckon we'll draw, lose, win in that order :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Maybe we should do a deal with L'Arse. They can have the 3 points from the PL game and we'll have the CL ties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

To be honest, its a terrible draw. Even if we get past Arsenal we are likely to face Chelsea in semis and then either Utd or Barcelona in the final.

Chelsea, Barcelona & Utd all got easy draws. How come Utd always get Roma ?

IMO.

Well said. 30 years from now hes not going to be looking back regreting not playing in that match. Hes going to be thinking about possibly the happiest day of his life, watching his son being born. Family comes before your job, no matter how important that job is to a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

With regards to Alonso, I'm actually on Mr Alans side for this one.:eek:
    I can't help but feel if the game had of been a World Cup final or the Champions League Final that he would have made a different choice.

Don't mind them Alan, we're right on this one. Pigheads gonna back you up all the way on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I can safely say that I didn't imagine this draw at all. :/

But it is the premier club competition so you kinda do have to beat the best to win and I think we can do it. Prolly loose 4th place on account of it but screw 4th, I'll take a 6th CL and satisfaction in beating Arse, Che, Utd in doing so.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well he only said it because, "it means his club will face Arsenal three times in a week with a league match sandwiched in between the two legs of the quarter-finals"

last time they played us a coupla times in a row was bit of a hiding :o
    Tough draw to get to the final, considering how potentially easy united and chelsea have the quarter finals.....but frick it, it will be what will need to be done!! COME ON LADS!! (wish it was next week!)

Yea - i'm a knobhead.

no, u just have Liverpool goggles on for just about everything you say that you cant see and acknowledge good reason when it slaps u firmly in the face

3 times in a week. ffs. i still prefer arse to chelski or utd tho. but if we do end up winning it, in all likely hood we arent going to be facing anymore euro teams (i think utd can do barca and roma)

gucci wrote: »
    last time they played us a coupla times in a row was bit of a hiding :o
    Tough draw to get to the final, considering how potentially easy united and chelsea have the quarter finals.....but frick it, it will be what will need to be done!! COME ON LADS!! (wish it was next week!)

Exactly. Not only did we get the premier league leaders but Utd, Chelsea & Barca managed to avoid each other. Blah.

Can someone please tell me how United have an easy draw?

Roma and potentially Barcelona. Id rate that as a harder draw than ours

I'm gonna stick my neck out and Roma will take United, so I don't think they'll make it past the next round.

Whoever gets to the final will deserve it though, although if Barce get there beating Schalke and Roma...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

They wont get passed Roma. The treble dreams will be over...oohhh wait LOL

Melion wrote: »

Well I would have thought that would be fairly obvious. We knocked out the Seria A champions with relative ease but haven't managed to beat any of the top four in the league this season. Would have much prefered to avoid English opposition.

Arsenal are a much much better team than Roma.

Melion wrote: »

Yeah i know what your saying and thinking, but if the draw went the other way they would be saying something similar on a Man U thread and also throwing in the "We keep getting premiership teams in the FA cup too!" in to do the proper hard luck story.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement