Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its frustrating how things have turned out.

5 points off Chelsea
    7 points off Arsenal
    8 points off Man Utd

If a couple of results had of went out way earlier in the season we would be right up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

flanzer wrote: »
    Not since Rush and King Kenny. He's up there now in their league, a division above Owen and Fowler. Most of his goals are just strokes into the net also with all the hard work done beforehand. Classy recruit and legend in the making

Fowler got over 20 in a season.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Fowler got over 20 in a season.

League goals.

1994/95 - 25
    1995/96 - 28

I thought Skrtel was absolutely class today. Won every header and got countless tackles in. Hes confident, big, strong, fast, good in the air and can pass the ball well. Looks like a great signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Tusky wrote: »

5 points off Chelsea
    7 points off Arsenal
    8 points off Man Utd

If a couple of results had of went out way earlier in the season we would be right up there.

Definitely the Wigan & Birmingham games at home spring to mind, 4 points dropped there. Could include Villa/Spurs home games too.

Thats the end of the 'easy' games. Rest of the fixtures are littered with banana skins...

Manchester Utd
    Everton
    Arsenal - CL
    Arsenal
    Arsenal - CL
    Blackburn
    Fulham
    Champions League semi final first leg
    Birmingham
    Champions League semi final second leg
    Manchester City
    Spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Definitely the Wigan & Birmingham games at home spring to mind, 4 points dropped there. Could include Villa/Spurs home games too.

And the daylight robbery that was Chelsea at Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

flanzer wrote: »
    Not since Rush and King Kenny. He's up there now in their league, a division above Owen and Fowler.

Bull****. He is an amazing player but to dismiss the contributions of either of these players is a disgrace. The last player to score 20+ goals was Fowler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Ok, take your point. I think Fowler was a master goal poacher, and scored a lot from being a poacher, like Van Nistlerooy in his couple of seasons with utd. Yes he scored some blinders too, but when Torres gets the ball, you sense and nearly expect him to do something amazinf. I never really got the same expectancy with Fowler. Kenny on the other hand had that same expectancy as Torres does now, conjuring up goals from nothing

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

you musnt have really watched fowler or something every time he had the ball wherever he was he was able to see how to get the ball in the goal, and then do it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fowler didn't become God by being in the second tier of strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I was over in St Petersburg last week and they're mad for Zenit St P. They were telling me Skertl is a brilliant player, always talked about how tough he is and he will play his heart out, one of the best to ever play for Zenit and he will be one of the best defenders in the world according to them, but what do the Russians know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

First off, to suggest that Torres is a cut above Owen and Fowler is just disrespectful. Torres if he replicates the feats of Fowler and Owen will have had a fantastic personal career.

Torres has scored 9 goals in 7 games, and is an incredibly rich run of form. That said, Owen and Fowler did it for season after season, Torres still has a lot to prove in that regard.

5 points off Chelsea
    7 points off Arsenal
    8 points off Man Utd

That's just a silly way of looking at things.

Liverpool are not really 8 points off United, they are 8 points with a game extra played. THey are 5 points off Chelsea, with a game extra played. They are 7 points off Arsenal, with a game currently being played.
    If United beat Bolton, not something you'd probably bet against, they are 11 points off the leaders.

Also, the pressure now on Liverpool is nothing compared to what it would be if they had actually kept up.

Also, Liverpool are about to go into a massively difficult run of games.

The position liverpool are in now can't paper over the cracks within Liverpool, and to think that they do is just foolish. A lot still has to change (and it could this summer) for Liverpool to challenge in the league.

PHB wrote: »
    First off, to suggest that Torres is a cut above Owen and Fowler is just disrespectful. Torres if he replicates the feats of Fowler and Owen will have had a fantastic personal career.

Torres has scored 9 goals in 7 games, and is an incredibly rich run of form. That said, Owen and Fowler did it for season after season, Torres still has a lot to prove in that regard.

That's just a silly way of looking at things.

Liverpool are not really 8 points off United, they are 8 points with a game extra played. THey are 5 points off Chelsea, with a game extra played. They are 7 points off Arsenal, with a game currently being played.
    If United beat Bolton, not something you'd probably bet against, they are 11 points off the leaders.

Also, the pressure now on Liverpool is nothing compared to what it would be if they had actually kept up.

Also, Liverpool are about to go into a massively difficult run of games.

The position liverpool are in now can't paper over the cracks within Liverpool, and to think that they do is just foolish. A lot still has to change (and it could this summer) for Liverpool to challenge in the league.

All Im saying is that things could have turned out a lot different if it wasn't for that bad run of form (4 draws in a row at one stage) in the middle of the season. Theres absolutely no reason why we cant push for 3rd place. 5 points off Chelsea, 8 points off Arsenal with the same about of games played and we still have to play them in the league.

We have also managed to score 55 league goals, only 3 less than Arsenal and 4 less than Utd while keeping a pretty good defensive record. We have scored more goals in all comps then the other 3 top teams as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I placed 5 bets today (using PPs own money glad to say) and lost every one of them so I'm sticking a euro on Everton to keep the run going! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I was over in St Petersburg last week and they're mad for Zenit St P. They were telling me Skertl is a brilliant player, always talked about how tough he is and he will play his heart out, one of the best to ever play for Zenit and he will be one of the best defenders in the world according to them, but what do the Russians know!

Im delighted with him. Good replacement for Agger/Hyppia. I can see him and Carra striking up a great partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dissapointed to see players being left on the edge of the box for corners again today ( I was rounded on for suggesting this as a cause for the goal against UTD but I've watched us at corners and it always happens).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

All Im saying is that things could have turned out a lot different if it wasn't for that bad run of form (4 draws in a row at one stage) in the middle of the season.

But couldn't any team say exactly the same thing?

An Arsenal fan will currently say "things would be very different if we weren't in a bad run of form right now", MU fans will say "things would look very different if we hadn't stumbled in the first few games of the season" and Chelsea fans will say "things would look very different if we hadn't been hindered by injuries of our big players".

Every team has bad runs/luck, using a bad run as an excuse for the current gap is, well, no excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Fowler was and is GOD.... Torres has the ability to be but to disrespect fowler is shamefull..

abelard wrote: »
    But couldn't any team say exactly the same thing?

An Arsenal fan will currently say "things would be very different if we weren't in a bad run of form right now", MU fans will say "things would look very different if we hadn't stumbled in the first few games of the season" and Chelsea fans will say "things would look very different if we hadn't been hindered by injuries of our big players".

Every team has bad runs/luck, using a bad run as an excuse for the current gap is, well, no excuse.

I never used it as an excuse. Just said that I was more disappointed about the bad run now that the gap has closed a bit. You have to remember Arsenal were 17 points ahead of us at one stage. They are now 8 points ahead and we play them in a few weeks.

Its just a shame that we couldnt keep up the good form during the middle of the season as it has turned out to be quite a close season. I dont see whats so unreasonable about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There's nothing wrong with that, it makes sense. I'm just saying there is a reason why you are where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Genius.

Today was the first time I've seen Torres have a little bit of a whine about some heavy treatment, usually from that dolt Bikey. Delighted when Gerrard got all up in hiz face 'n sh*t.

PHB wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with that, it makes sense. I'm just saying there is a reason why you are where you are.

Absolutely. We were awful for a good portion of the season. I fully expected us to finish 20 points off the pace again but its looks like its going to be much closer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Liverpool are looking great thesedays, I fancy yas to make it very far in the CL and finish prem strongly

Post on Arsenal Mania forum. I found it funny.
    'I am hearby reclaiming the 4 points that the referees in Birmingham and Middlesbrough matches robbed from us unfairly.

We are still at the top of the league even with Manchester United's game in hand.

I mean that 100%. I don't give a f**k where we are on the 'official' league table because the 'official' league table clearly is run by a load of blind idiots.

2-1 and 3-0 in Middlesbrough and Birmingham matches. Proud day to be a Gooner. '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Post on Arsenal Mania forum. I found it funny.

What's that website where they track what the premiership standings should be if not for blatant ref/linesman errors....

http://www.rightresult.net/

heh I knew Everton would be ahead of us! :p

Miek.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Have to say Masch deserved to get that goal today, hopefully he can on to score a few more. It was a beaut.
    Torres hiding behind his own player to sneak in for his goal was hilarious when I saw the replays....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I never used it as an excuse. Just said that I was more disappointed about the bad run now that the gap has closed a bit. You have to remember Arsenal were 17 points ahead of us at one stage. They are now 8 points ahead and we play them in a few weeks.

Its just a shame that we couldnt keep up the good form during the middle of the season as it has turned out to be quite a close season. I dont see whats so unreasonable about that.

The problem with yis being so close now is not only making 11 points on whoever is leading but on making it on 3 teams above you.You were 17 points behind Arsenal for a reason and that is for being a poor team who couldn't challenge.Making a bit of ground shouldn't delude you from the fact that you may or may not finish 4th 10 points behind the eventual winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What's that website where they track what the premiership standings should be if not for blatant ref/linesman errors....

http://www.rightresult.net/
    Is there a site for lucky decisions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

d22ontour wrote: »
    The problem with yis being so close now is not only making 11 points on whoever is leading but on making it on 3 teams above you.You were 17 points behind Arsenal for a reason and that is for being a poor team who couldn't challenge.Making a bit of ground shouldn't delude you from the fact that you may or may not finish 4th 10 points behind the eventual winners.

liverpool were also right up there at the top of the table before the defeat to reading on the 8th of December, they were ahead of chelsea and ahead of either united or arsenal (i can't remember which). That match at reading was the first time they had lost in the league this season. After the reading game they lost 2 and drew 5 of the next 9-10 games. The period 8th Dec 2007 until 30th Jan 2008 was key.

d22ontour wrote: »

I think you are missing my point. All I was saying is that the way the league has turned out, I am MORE disappointed now about the loss of points as the gap isn't as big as we all expected. Beforehand I wasnt that dissapointed when we lost points because I felt we were well out of the race. Thats all.

Maybe i misread the point ...It seemed to come across as if you thought you are challenging now because of the points gain yis have made last 6 games...

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Nice one Rigger that brought a big simle to my face.

Opr

• Advertisement

Brilliant! The way the fans have taken to Torres is almost scary..!

Brilliant! The way the fans have taken to Torres is almost scary..!

In that documentary thing thats on utube when he is being told how hes now out selling gerrard jersey wise and he replies with something like "because everyone in liverpool already has one of gerrads" i rememeber thinking that was a class answer.
    The fact he is scoring bucket loads of goals helps but i think alot of people seem to think he is a really good guy. I mean whenever i have heard him speak i have always been so impressed with the respect he seems to hold for the club and the intelligent way he expresses himself.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    In that documentary thing thats on utube when he is being told how hes now out selling gerrard jersey wise and he replies with something like "because everyone in liverpool already has one of gerrads" i rememeber thinking that was a class answer.

Opr

lol, I quoted that bit from it last week, it was class.
    He always seems to say the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

how many has he scored this season? He's really been an excellent outlet for Liverpool, and has adapted better than anyone could've expected

opr wrote: »
    The fact he is scoring bucket loads of goals helps but i think alot of people seem to think he is a really good guy. I mean whenever i have heard him speak i have always been so impressed with the respect he seems to hold for the club and the intelligent way he expresses himself.

Opr

Yeah..to be honest he has everything.

Amazing player
    Humble and modest
    Team player and works hard for the team
    Doesn't moan
    Isnt a dirty player
    Knows and speaks about the clubs history
    Not selfish

You could go on aswell...

• Advertisement

...talisman...

how many has he scored this season? He's really been an excellent outlet for Liverpool, and has adapted better than anyone could've expected

I always said one of your biggest problems was never spending big on quality players and in him yis have acquired a gem.His 1st season has been amazing and i think he may win PFA Player of the year.

I jest, I jest, well I don't, but it was tongue-in-cheek :p thing about Torres is that, despite him playing for Liverpool, he gives me absolutely no reason to hate him, even his manner on the pitch, that's why I hate him :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I thought that was a good game and a good result for Liverpool. Good to see some moves coming off and several very good scoring chances. I was glad to see Alonso back, and playing well. Masch was his immense self and its about time one of his shots from distance went in. Lets hope he has another one or two in him this season. The more firepower we have from all over the pitch the better. Its a pity Alonso didnt get on the scoresheet. That attempt from long distance at the end would have been fitting icing on the cake.

Its also good to see some stability in the line-up. Again 4-2-3-1 and Gerrard and Torres are loving it:

Reina
    - Arbeloa - Carra - Skrtel - Aurelio -
    Alonso - Mascherano
    Kuyt
    Gerrard ---- Babel ----
    Torres

Skrtel continues to improve his reading of the premier league pace. Masch was immense. Yeah, I know I said that already but it is worth repeating!

Babel did better and got a shot off with his left foot and should have and nearly scored from it. Kuyt didnt do anything according to the highlights I saw, but I have no doubt that he defended well. I think if Liverpool could get a right or left sided midfielder that was as a good as Duff was in his prime, the team would be that much better. With Reina, Carra, Masch, Gerrard and Torres, there is a very strong backbone. These players should be ever-presents imo.

Its going to be a busy period of football coming up. Next up, Man Utd away, 1:30 next Sunday. I'd expect a 4-2-3-1 formation again. Lets see which personnel Rafa uses to fill it.

Redspider

20 in the league
    4 in champions league
    3 in cup

That includes 3 hatricks as well!

redspider wrote: »
    Its going to be a busy period of football coming up. Next up, Man Utd away, 1:30 next Sunday. I'd expect a 4-2-3-1 formation again. Lets see which personnel Rafa uses to fill it.

Reina
    - Arbeloa - Carra - Skrtel - Aurelio -
    Alonso - Mascherano
    Kuyt
    Gerrard ---- Babel ----
    Torres

The only change I could see in the line up from today and the utd match next week is either of the full backs but if injurys don't pop up then I would imagine it would be the same as above.

A few liverpool lads heading to work on the train :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI86sEwrOeQ

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Look lads, no offence, but can we stop licking his ****ing balls for a second. He is a super player but the ****e some of are souting is way over the top.

Sorry Tusky but I wouldn't say this about my mother..
    Amazing player
    Humble and modest
    Team player and works hard for the team
    Doesn't moan
    Isnt a dirty player
    Knows and speaks about the clubs history
    Not selfish

Like please ffs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Look lads, no offence, but can we stop licking his ****ing balls for a second. He is a super player but the ****e some of are souting is way over the top.

Sorry Tusky but I wouldn't say this about my mother..
    Excuse us for getting excited about the first world class striker we've had in years. His manner and attitude on and off the pitch are excellent. If he got Time person of the year I think it'd be warranted.
    Anyway, post 14000 yay!

jesus_thats_gre is the new thread grouch! :p Torres is not the first world class strikers in years, Owen was that too. How quickly we forget.

Harry Kewell to sign for Celtic in the summer according to The People.
    http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=harry-s-off-to-celtic&method=full&objectid=20353174&siteid=93463-name_page.html

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement