Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

If nothing. Any of the 3 above you could say the very same thing about 3 draws and the points difference would still be the same.6 or 7 wins in a row has gotten you to within 8 points of the leaders says more about how badly you were before the current run yis are on if anything , if you drew 3 of them 6 or 7 wins .....

;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

stop saying yis, we know your from dublin but theres no need to butcher the language in the written form.
    and it is just the chelsea robbery and literally 1 goal against the like of brum and wigan and we'd be right up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

mayordenis wrote: »
    stop saying yis, we know your from dublin but theres no need to butcher the language in the written form.
    and it is just the chelsea robbery and literally 1 goal against the like of brum and wigan and we'd be right up there.

Yawn ...

And then you go and do the exact same thing by typing Brum ??

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

d22ontour wrote: »
    Yawn ...

And then you go and do the exact same thing by typing Brum ??

:rolleyes:

Ha!! 'yis' is a knack term, like 'ye' is country term. Brum is an established nickname for birmingham... i more than happy to keep knacker and country talk out of these forums!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Ha!! 'yis' is a knack term, like 'ye' is country term. Brum is an established nickname for birmingham... i more than happy to keep knacker and country talk out of these forums!

but "I more" is such glorious English? I'd have to agree, Brum is an established nickname though, as is Pompey etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stop derailing the thread with this inane rabble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

PHB wrote: »
    The issue isn't whether or not Liverpool could win all their remaining games, it's whether the others can drop enough points.

United are 8 points ahead. You'll need them to drop 9 out of 27, that's 18 points. Where these will come from? Not sure. Maybe Chelsea and Arsenal will beat us.
    The problem is then that, Chelsea and Arsenal have to drop a similar amount of points. Best case scenario? They all draw with each other and Liverpool beat all of them. Even then, you still need them to drop points against the weaker teams, all of them.

Liverpool could well overtake one of the three, even two of the three, but the chances of overtaking all three are just astronomical. 80/1 is **** odds actually :)

It's a waste of a tenner :) Torres at top scorer though is a pretty solid bet.

I just wanted to demonstrate it is possible.I would be happy if we get 2nd or 3rd(at least it would stop people questioning are we a top 4 club),which I think is very achievable,as avram grant will be told to ensure being in the final in moscow by abramovich,this means he will rest all his key player.

Now for a good manager and the calibre of chelskis squad this would not be a problem but avram grant seems to only be able to win games playing his first team,so They will drop points chasing the cl for sure.same with Arsenal,they dont have the squad.Man U will do everything they can to achieve success in the cl,as it is probly one of fergusons last years,they will rest key players aswell and they have some hard games.
    We will be ok as rafa has done so much rotating already,that the team is fine,come this stage of the season.

dc69 wrote: »
    I just wanted to demonstrate it is possible.I would be happy if we get 2nd or 3rd(at least it would stop people questioning are we a top 4 club ),which I think is very achievable,as avram grant will be told to ensure being in the final in moscow by abramovich,this means he will rest all his key player.

Now for a good manager and the calibre of chelskis squad this would not be a problem but avram grant seems to only be able to win games playing his first team,so They will drop points chasing the cl for sure.same with Arsenal,they dont have the squad.

i have a feeling Wenger will concentrate on the league while I agree Grant will focus on Europe, but i dont think he has the tactical nous to win either. one thing for sure is the next two months are gonna be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

But do Liverpool? Liverpool are still in a battle for 4th place, it's not like they can rest Torres and Gerrard in the league without consequences.
    I agree Arsenals squad is a little light, and Grant does appear to have trouble without his first team (although not as much as you suggest), but why will Liverpool be magically able to play all their players every game while these guys won't.

I think we all expect Rafa to rest players for the CL games

But do Liverpool? Liverpool are still in a battle for 4th place, it's not like they can rest Torres and Gerrard in the league without consequences.
    I agree Arsenals squad is a little light, and Grant does appear to have trouble without his first team (although not as much as you suggest), but why will Liverpool be magically able to play all their players every game while these guys won't.

I think we all expect Rafa to rest players for the CL games

yes but rafa rotates anyway,all year round,for no reason.So when you get to this stage of a season and clubs have to rotate,players are being thrown in that have never played together.Liverpool have rotated so much,that the players are more used to it and can adjust better I think.

our squad players arent as good as utd's or chelski but I feel crouch and kuyt can still prove their worth as a pairing and I would confident with them up front and lucas replacing gerrard for games like blackburn.Gives a chance to play Babel up front aswell.

• Advertisement

yes but rafa rotates anyway,all year round,for no reason.So when you get to this stage of a season and clubs have to rotate,players are being thrown in that have never played together.Liverpool have rotated so much,that the players are more used to it and can adjust better I think.

our squad players arent as good as utd's or chelski but I feel crouch and kuyt can still prove their worth as a pairing and I would confident with them up front and lucas replacing gerrard for games like blackburn.Gives a chance to play Babel up front aswell.

As people in this thread have pointed out again and again, Rafa doesn't rotate any more than anybody else :) Indeed, this year, I'd say Fergie may well have rotated more than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Grant does appear to have trouble without his first team

Not sure about that. He coped amazingly well with the loss of Terry and Lampard over a tough run of games earlier in the season. Indeed, the emergence of the likes of Alex, Ballack during that time, and the arrival of Anelka has probably given him unwanted problems in trying to accommodate everybody, as evidenced by the Carling Cup Final.

As people in this thread have pointed out again and again, Rafa doesn't rotate any more than anybody else :) Indeed, this year, I'd say Fergie may well have rotated more than him.

yes but he rotates key players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not anymore. I fully expect the spine Reina, Carra, Masch, Gerrard, Torres to start every game for the rest of the season.

Mike.

yes but he rotates key players

Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Ferdinand have all been rested a couple of times this season, especially in the last few games.

Of all the squads left, I think Liverpool are likely to rotate least, partly because they don't have the players, but I also think Rafa is trying to get the media off his back so the team can focus on playing a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Did any body see todays star your man Dunphy at it again saying Liverpool are no more than a UEFA cup game and we were lucky to get Inter in the last round of the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Around October I think, Rafa said in an interview that he rotates his players early in the season so he can use his best team in every match towards the end of the season.

The man is a tedious Controversialist, a newsprint troll.

Mike.

Around October I think, Rafa said in an interview that he rotates his players early in the season so he can use his best team in every match towards the end of the season.

Yes, I remember that and I still think the same way (even though I was lambasted for it here at the time). If he'd sent out Stevie and Torres to score enough goals to win the game and then take them off, either at half time or after an hour, we'd have been better off long term. They'd have enough rest for the last half hour to keep them fresh now and we'd have the points to challenege. Maybe next season he might get away with that tactic but Rafa needs a second prolific striker to do so. Kuyt did nothing when Torres was rested, Crouch rarely got a chance and as for Voronin, ah well, God loves a tryer......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Dunphy is claery a fool but is regarded well because he is "controversial".Vincent Hogans piece on him and Hook a few weeks back was excellent,the self righteous rte pundits are no better than the redknapps are shearer's of the world.At least the bbe and sky dont pretend to be high and mighty,witness rte's unwillingness to accept ronaldo as world class,the berating of gerrard last season"found out/nothing player"and the priase from the same guy this year.

At least Rafa has a supporter in the irish media in Dion Fanning,who cleary is in man love with him

Mr Alan is Dion Fanning :pac:

Mike.

Whats the story with AFC Liverpool? Some sort of breakaway group/splinter faction?
    Seems to be mentioned everywhere but no real substance behind anything.

http://www.parrysongs.co.uk/afcliverpool/index.html

Was at the match on Saturday, bouncing to the New Torres song :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjRQfJ3f74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Yes, I remember that and I still think the same way (even though I was lambasted for it here at the time). If he'd sent out Stevie and Torres to score enough goals to win the game and then take them off, either at half time or after an hour, we'd have been better off long term. They'd have enough rest for the last half hour to keep them fresh now and we'd have the points to challenege. Maybe next season he might get away with that tactic but Rafa needs a second prolific striker to do so. Kuyt did nothing when Torres was rested, Crouch rarely got a chance and as for Voronin, ah well, God loves a tryer.....

lol so true...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Bob Paisley Cup 5 a side Tournament

Bob Paisley Cup

Venue Astro Park Tallaght
    Date 26th April
    Times to be confirmed once we have teams finalised

An update on this,so far we have about 15/16 teams who are entering this,we are still taken team so if you think you can put one together check out This Thread.If anybody would like to play but cant get a full team together we are matching people off check out This Thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just found out I'm going to the Merseyside Derby! Can't wait!!

Dub13 wrote: »
    Bob Paisley Cup 5 a side Tournament

Bob Paisley Cup

Venue Astro Park Tallaght
    Date 26th April
    Times to be confirmed once we have teams finalised

An update on this,so far we have about 15/16 teams who are entering this,we are still taken team so if you think you can put one together check out This Thread.If anybody would like to play but cant get a full team together we are matching people off check out This Thread.

nice one, will have to do something about this now! who's on the boards.ie team do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

nice one, will have to do something about this now! who's on the boards.ie team do you know?
    There's some of the Boardeaux lads interested in playing, so I'd imagine that's us on the list. :)

Here's an invitation to anyone who wants to play.

If the soccer forum proper doesn't get a team together, and a few of you would like a chance to represent Boards in this, why not come out and play on the Boardeuax team?

There's about five or six lads already said they are interested, but I'm sure there's be no problem accommodating a few more.

Here's our thread about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Dream scenario for the weekend. Chelsea & Arsenal draw and Liverpool beat utd.

utd 68
    Arsenal 68
    Chelsea 65
    Liverpool 62

However, Utd have a game tomorrow night which they should win so that would be an extra 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Tusky wrote: »

utd 68
    Arsenal 68
    Chelsea 65
    Liverpool 62

However, Utd have a game tomorrow night which they should win so that would be an extra 3 points.

Stop, will ya...you're toying with my emotions. We shouldn't have to be hoping for slip ups. We should have been on 68 points at least now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

utd 68
    Arsenal 68
    Chelsea 65
    Liverpool 62

Right all you need is Bolton and Liverpool to come to Old Trafford and beat Man Utd

Then Spurs to beat Chelsea and draw with Arsenal

Then you will only be 6 points behind.

It's ON!

Unearthly wrote: »
    Right all you need is Bolton and Liverpool to come to Old Trafford and beat Man Utd

Then Spurs to beat Chelsea and draw with Arsenal

Then you will only be 6 points behind.

It's ON!

Its very very very unlikely and its not actually gonna happen...but theres no harm in dreaming! Id be happy if we finished 3rd to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Of the top three, whoever picks up the most points against the other two will take it imo. I can't see Liverpool taking enough points off any of the big teams to disrupt the top three and I can't see the top three losing enough points to leave Liverpool into third never mind first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Its very very very unlikely and its not actually gonna happen...but theres no harm in dreaming! Id be happy if we finished 3rd to be honest.

to be honest, with our fixtures the next few weeks, i'd settle for 4th. You're right though, no harm in dreaming.

Yes its the Boardeaux lads on the list as Boards team,it would be great to get a team from this thread but otherwise Des has said you are welcome to join the Boardeaux lads.

to be honest, with our fixtures the next few weeks, i'd settle for 4th. You're right though, no harm in dreaming.

Everyone has tough fixtures, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal & Everton included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Does Rafa think we're still in it?
    Rafael Benitez believes Liverpool can still have an impact on the Barclays Premier League title race - and he is happy with them being forgotten for now.

Benitez's men are eight points behind the pace but still have Manchester United and Arsenal to play before the end of the campaign.

"How near we finish to the top now will be interesting," the Reds boss told liverpoolfc.tv.

"We have been criticised this season, but let us see where we are in three or four weeks.

"We have important games and if we win them we will be a lot closer. If we can beat Manchester United we will be closer to the top, and that will give us more confidence.

"If we beat Everton after that then we will be closer still. Maybe, maybe we can be closer if we do not talk too much about it.

"Do we have a point to prove? Maybe, but only if we can keep winning three points."

Midfielder Xabi Alonso is also confident, particularly with striker Fernando Torres in good form.

"Fernando has improved," Alonso said. "He has got rid of the pressure he had at Atletico Madrid.

"He is feeling really comfortable playing with his team-mates at Liverpool and because of this he is getting better and better each day, which is good news for the team.

"He has settled into the Premier League very quickly and that is encouraging because it can be difficult coming into a new league.

"He has shown he is not afraid of the physical contact here, with defenders trying to put him off, and that is really important."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Good to see rafa planning for the future
    "Xabi's father was a top player and Xabi is a top player, so already we are thinking about signing his son."

Alonso Jr 4 livepool !!! ;)

Two Arsenal CL Tickets.only €2.50 Each

For the next 2 Weeks Irishkop will be Running a Reverse Auction with the Money Raised going to the Bob Paisley Memorial Fund.

You will be Bidding for 2 Tkts to the Liverpool V Arsenal Champions League Quarter Final at Anfield on Tuesday April 8th.the Lowest Unique Bid will Win.
    Bids Cost 5 Euro each and you can Bid as often as you wish.

to Submit a Bid(s) you need to PM avidmerrion on Irishkop he will give you a Reference Number and the Sort Code and Number of an Account where you can Lodge the Money.make sure you include the Reference Number when Lodging the Money or we will not know who the Money is from.

On Receipt of your Money you will then be Contacted to Submit your Bid(s).
    to give the successful Bidder Time to organise Travel and Accomodation we will Close the Auction at 1.30 pm on Tuesday April 1st,that's a full Week before the Game.

So get your Bids in ASAP and hopefully we can Raise a nice few Quid for Sir Bob.
    Good Luck!

For more info see This Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I saw this on another forum earlier today. It's the Liverpool squad drawn in the Simpsons style. I can't post the image directly but here's a link:
    http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs27/i/2008/041/4/b/Liverpool_FC_07_08_by_SimpsonsCameos.jpg
    Some players are instantly recognisable (Itandje, Lucas, Crouch). Here is the real-life team photo to compare with.

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote: »
    I saw this on another forum earlier today. It's the Liverpool squad drawn in the Simpsons style. I can't post the image directly but here's a link:
    http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs27/i/2008/041/4/b/Liverpool_FC_07_08_by_SimpsonsCameos.jpg
    Some players are instantly recognisable (Itandje, Lucas, Crouch). Here is the real-life team photo to compare with.

brilliant although it looks like sissoko has just got eyes and no facial features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Riise is savage in that :D
    As is Benayoun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

zAbbo wrote: »
    Excellent find Zabbo!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is it just me or is Skrtel named but not in the picture?? He is down as 37 but on the bottom corner there is no 37... unless I am going blind.

Download the Torres song here

http://www.sendspace.com/file/eh9avk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Gonna set it on as my ringtone now. will replace the classic "And it's all down to Adriy schevchenko, schevchenko, saved by dudek......"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just had a look at that Simpsons thing. Jesus its fantastic!

Where did it come from? Id love to get my hands on a United one. My favourite ones in there were Aurelio, Riise, Alonso and Benayoun. Really well done.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Skrtel named but not in the picture?? He is down as 37 but on the bottom corner there is no 37... unless I am going blind.
    I'm not sure myself. There's a number 46 to the left of Sissoko that could be him. Maybe the artist just got their numbers wrong?
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Where did it come from? Id love to get my hands on a United one.
    The original pic is from here. Maybe if you ask nicely she'll do you up a Man Utd one.
    I've just noticed that, ironically enough, the artist's name is Nattalia Alonso :).

• Advertisement

chelsea draw 4-4! looks like we may have a betters shout at 3rd...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement