Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    trilla, to be honest post #14348 has been talked about a billion times in this thread, thats why people have little desire to hear the same ****e being rehashed again and again and again and again.

Okay Id probably say it is. I dont come on here much but Im guessing it would be. But its not all United fans, after all I read a Liverpool fans post, quoted it and disagreed. Sorry if I touched a few nerves and if its overplayed...but please dont point fingers at United fans all the time.

Anyways. Everyone knows United squad is better, that they are in better form etc...you only need to look at the league table for that but that wasn't the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

DesF wrote: »
    So bleedin' what?

Take the attacking minded players out of ANY side in the damn world and they'd all be worse off.

Stupid, stupid argument.

I know that but I am just pointing it out to the United fans who keep going on about taking out Torres and Gerrard Liverpool would be in 13th, the ones who are taking Eamon Dunphy's word for gospel.

If every team lost there most attacking player(s) they would be worse off than they are now.

Trilla wrote: »
    well then its eh no...because I was quoting Mike who did not mention Tevez. And if anyone thinks that a United team without Ronaldo and Tevez is on a par with Liverpool team without Torres and Gerrard must be smoking something.

Rooney vs eh Crouch ?
    Nani vs eh Pennant ?
    Vidic vs eh Skertil ?
    Giggs vs eh Kuyt ?
    Scholes\Hargreaves\Carrick vs out of form Alonso ?
    Rio vs Carragher?

no contest.

If you want to take it like that then Liverpool still have scored more Goals without Torres and Gerrard in the team than United have without Ronaldo and Tevez

When is the last time Crouch started a game for Liverpool? Rooney starts all the time.
    Pennant is crap give you that.
    I would rather have Agger in the team than Vidic.
    Kuyt unlike Giggs is not a winger.
    Are you forgetting to compare Mascherano to whole of United midfield plus i would still take an out of form Alonso over Hargreaves
    Rio has had a great 2 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

the reason manu are better then liverpool is for the simple fact they have been spending more money then liverpool have for years!
    liverpool are buyin the 10million or less rated players manu are for the most part spendin big buying the 15million+ players,bar torres liverpool's most expensive player was cisse(gick)!!! and our most expensive defender was bought for 6million in january??? rio ferdinand 33million??? how can liverpool compete with chelsea or manu when they are far behind in spending power.. arsenal are the exception to this rule but arsene wenger has been developing the arsenal academy over the last decade something liverpool are focusing more on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

trilla, to be honest post #14348 has been talked about a billion times in this thread, thats why people have little desire to hear the same ****e being rehashed again and again and again and again.

That is exactly what I meant!!

Sorry i just was reading through 2 pages of threads which I read last week, of the same stuff. ie comparisons of players & what if these two players werent in a team!!Its so ridiculous and can never be proved!

Anyone think Masch will get a longer ban?It said on sporting-life.com that if that happens its likely to goto a personal hearing and he could be available for Sundays derby!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I would rather have Agger in the team than Vidic.
    What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des, Agger is a ****ing animal.

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    That is exactly what I meant!!

Sorry i just was reading through 2 pages of threads which I read last week, of the same stuff. ie comparisons of players & what if these two players werent in a team!!Its so ridiculous and can never be proved!

Anyone think Masch will get a longer ban?It said on sporting-life.com that if that happens its likely to goto a personal hearing and he could be available for Sundays derby!!

He would miss Sundays game for the automatic 1 game ban for the red card the appeal will be on any extenstion the FA impose so he would be available for the Arsenal game.

What gets me is they can use video evidence against Masch but could not use it against Cole from Wednesday night :confused:

What?

Agger when fully fit is a great defender and I think Liverpool have missed him this season, a say alot of them draws could have been wins with him in defence

plus Agger is actually an excellent ball player too.

• Advertisement

with a great left foot just ask West Ham

plus Agger is actually an excellent ball player too.

but better then Vidic? Thats some statement. Some ppl say Vidic is better then Terry and Rio...Not me but I think Agger still has a bit to do for people to be coming out with comments like that and actually meaning them.

Mascherano is a great DMF, and since Christmas has been more himself. He was a little silly the other day, but if the Ref had anythnig between his ears he just have said to him "ONE MORE WORD, JUST ONE AND YOU'RE OFF SON"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

but if the Ref had anythnig between his ears he just have said to him "ONE MORE WORD, JUST ONE AND YOU'RE OFF SON"
    Maybe the ref did actually say this one of the other three or four times Mascherano was in his face, before the sending off.

Do you actually believe that between the first booking and the second that Mascherano wasn't at the ref.

Were you watching the game?

How many warnings should Masherano have gotten, exactly?

but better then Vidic? Thats some statement. Some ppl say Vidic is better then Terry and Rio...Not me but I think Agger still has a bit to do for people to be coming out with comments like that and actually meaning them.

Mascherano is a great DMF, and since Christmas has been more himself. He was a little silly the other day, but if the Ref had anythnig between his ears he just have said to him "ONE MORE WORD, JUST ONE AND YOU'RE OFF SON"

The same ref who let Rio and Vidic foul away at Torres and do nothing, and when Torres asks for some protection against it he is booked.

Why was the United manager not complaining about his players going out to kick the oppistion like he complains about them kicking Ronaldo?

Maybe the ref did actually say this one of the other three or four times Mascherano was in his face, before the sending off.

Do you actually believe that between the first booking and the second that Mascherano wasn't at the ref.

Yes I was watching the game. And yes he did mouth off maybe 3 or 4 times, but can you confirm that ref said this or not? How many warnings did Torres get after he complained? I didnt see him at the ref all day.

I could see Mascherano gettin sent off, he did mouth off a bit. But the ref should have been more firm in his warnings...lay down the law without sending the man off. I agree with you, letter of the law and all but it was something so small and stupid it ruined a good game.

Why was the United manager not complaining about his players going out to kick the oppistion like he complains about them kicking Ronaldo?

This has be drastically overhyped...you'd swear he was gettin beaten up on the field. Ronaldo gets constantly kicked game after game, because of how he plays. Torres is quick too, but come on now he wasnt kicked around the place on Sunday

Yes I was watching the game. And yes he did mouth off maybe 3 or 4 times, but can you confirm that ref said this or not? How many warnings did Torres get after he complained? I didnt see him at the ref all day.
    Look, Mascherano was in the ref's face after every decision that went against Liverpool on Sunday.

Of course I can't confirm if the ref warned him once, twice or a hundred times.

But. There was no other player nearly constantly in Bennett's face. That is accurate I think.

No one else I know was saying "Other Player X" is close to getting booked for his mouthing.

The only player being commented on, at the time, by others watching the match, was Masch.

Have a look at the match thread at around the time.
    I could see Mascherano gettin sent off, he did mouth off a bit. But the ref should have been more firm in his warnings...lay down the law without sending the man off.
    Just before Mascherano was sent off, Bennett clearly pointed at the tunnel. This was a warning to Masch. Agree?

After that, Masch still decided to continue mouthing off. The ref then took out the second yellow.

That is what happened. He was warned, he kept going. He got booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

He would miss Sundays game for the automatic 1 game ban for the red card the appeal will be on any extenstion the FA impose so he would be available for the Arsenal game.

What gets me is they can use video evidence against Masch but could not use it against Cole from Wednesday night :confused:

Lampard got away with his ban, surely Masch could manage it too if the hearing goes his way?

• Advertisement

Have a look at the match thread at around the time
    Here's the comments from the match thread.

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Second yellow card for Mascherano for dissent, deservedly so IMO.
    mayordenis wrote: »
    nando booked for giving out about persistent fouling masch should shut up though.
    No suprise, i was gonna post a few minutes ago that he would get sent off by the end of the match
    ~Marky~ wrote: »
    What is Mascherano after doing?? :mad:
    deise59 wrote: »
    Absolute stupidity from Mash, he's probably just lost liverpool the match
    Can't blame the ref, Mascherano was a f*cking idiot there
    mike65 wrote: »
    Bennet started this chain of events to a degree with a stupid yellow for the first foul of the game. That does'nt excuse Masch though.
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    100% agreement
    but you could see it coming , he was ranting and raving since the first yellow.
    mayordenis wrote: »
    if we lose this match it won't be because of the sending off.
    Mascherano was at it everytime a decision went against Liverpool. He's the last referee you should be doing that against and wont be suprised if he sends off more today. Torres will have to calm down aswell.
    It was so needless though. It was a Liverpool free kick, what was Torres complaining about in the first place? Madness from Mascherano, you could see Alonso trying to restrain him.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    The ref gave a free kick FOR the pool masch is moaning about something that has nothing to do with him at all.

use the passion to work your feet not your mouth
    Mash was silly for giving descent
    adox wrote: »
    I think the fact that Mascherano was in Bennets face after every decision led to the sending off.

He was stupid and deserved to go.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    That's exactly what it was continued moaning and groaning

Wow! Some work Des. I will agree that it was Mascheranos fault for ruining the game...but I hate it when players get sent off for mouthing. Especially until he finally got the line "apparently" he didnt swear or show agression - that he was just asking what is happening or something along those lines (unitl he got the red card, then he errupted). It ruined the game unfortunately.

I dont think he'll get away with the ban after his actions once the card was shown.

des, wat irritates me about all this is the consistancy issue.

if this is the new way for dealing with back chat, how come Rooney and Carragher didnt both get a yellow?

Is Bennett going to now yellow card everyone who says a few things to him during a match? next week, the week after, the week after.....????

If the answer was yes, i would be a little pissed off that Masch was the first victim of this clampdown, but i'd get over it as it'd be for the good of the game.

But it wont be the start of anything, just bennett trying to look good for his boss, and thats not fair.

Its annoying that lots of players constantly harrass referees and never end up on the receiving end, Terry and Lampard etc, and some even have the audacity to wave imaginary cards, yet Javier manages to get himself sent off for asking the ref to protect his team mate?
    Ah, such is football. Its rarely fair or predicatable and often makes no sense. Why else would we watch it? :rolleyes: Hopefully a few things go our way in future games and things balance themselves out. No point in crying over it now, the Toffees await....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

yet Javier manages to get himself sent off for asking the ref to protect his team mate?
    Are you sure that's why he got sent off?

BaZmO* wrote: »

yes.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »

No, hence the question mark. Does it really matter? Its over now, 3 points lost and all that but even if it was the reason he was sent off, an internet board isnt going to be able to change the ruling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I agree, I think he deserved to go, I said to a mate earlier in the game. He had the red mist from very early on.

I do think the torres booking was a bit harsh. I know he was mouthing off aswell but he was tackled very hard andthe untied player wasnt booked.

and as for agger better than Vidic, thats just crazy talk. Vidic is one of the best in the world and for me Agger has a good bit to go before he's at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I do think the torres booking was a bit harsh. I know he was mouthing off aswell but he was tackled very hard andthe untied player wasnt booked.

apparently was for imaginary card waving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

yes.
    Good to know you're so sure about it.

Does it really matter?
    Does talking about anything on the internet really matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Not sure if I've missed anything, but has Mascherano been given his ban length yet?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Torres flagged as carrying a knock, might not make Everton game (this may have been a ploy to avoid the call up).

Mkie.

Torres flagged as carrying a knock, might not make Everton game (this may have been a ploy to avoid the call up).

Mkie.

Ah sure Kuyt should see us through that one. God knows he needs the goals to improve his stats enough to avoid the summer cull ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'd really like to see Riise, Voronin & Kewell leave in the summer.

I wouldnt be distraught if Finnan, Kuyt or Pennant left either, once we brought in a superior replacement.

Over the next two years I feel we need to buy two top class fullbacks, a top class striker and a top class winger. I dont expect them to all come this year. The biggest priority should be the right attacking position that Kuyt is currently playing in.

kida wrote: »
    apparently was for imaginary card waving

imaginary, as in it didnt happen.

he waved no fake card.

imaginary, as in it didnt happen.

he waved no fake card.
    I didn't see him do it anyway.

It was for backchat. Harsh, to be fair, but that's what it was for.

It's not as if he was doing a Masch on it and had been at it all game :pac:

Rafa wants to meet with Mr Hackett according to SSN and the FA will be saying wat they have in store for Mascherano tomorrow.

This made me laugh my ****ing arse off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QbjqWeIiE8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Rafa wants to meet with Mr Hackett according to SSN and the FA will be saying wat they have in store for Mascherano tomorrow.

This made me laugh my ****ing arse off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QbjqWeIiE8

Great song :D:D

Mkie.

Or it could be just a ploy to pull him out of the Spanish team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

I too don't think he has the guile to bring the league title to Anfield. He seems to have no problem whatsoever managing in European games, but in the league, he just doesn't seem to have the abilities? I think it'll be a few years yet before the league title is at Anfield....? Gerard Houllier was the last Liverpool manager to mount a serious challenge in the Premiership. We finished 2nd the year Arsenal won it.........remember???

No, we haven't finished second in umpteen years.

Benitez's predicament isn't really like Ferguson's early years at Utd - despite many claims to the contrary. Ferguson had to break up an array of talent to combat the engrained drinking culture at the club - losing the likes of McGrath, Moran, Stapleton, Whiteside etc., and then start from scratch. All Benitez had to do was flog a few journeymen like Cisse, Diao, Diouf etc - then the Americans arrived and he was permitted to spend like a drunken sailor.

He decides to go out and cobble together a patchwork of bench-warmers, selling Uefa Cup-type players like Smicer and that long-haired Czech guy (his name escapes me) and replacing them with the mid-table mediocrity that is Jermaine Pennant and Dirk "diggler" Kuyt. Where's the progress?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

No, we haven't finished second in umpteen years?

We finished 2nd in 2002, Arsenal won it and we finished 7 pts behind them and 3 ahead of United.

• Advertisement

No, we haven't finished second in umpteen years.

Benitez's predicament isn't really like Ferguson's early years at Utd - despite many claims to the contrary. Ferguson had to break up an array of talent to combat the engrained drinking culture at the club - losing the likes of McGrath, Moran, Stapleton, Whiteside etc., and then start from scratch. All Benitez had to do was flog a few journeymen like Cisse, Diao, Diouf etc - then the Americans arrived and he was permitted to spend like a drunken sailor.

He decides to go out and cobble together a patchwork of bench-warmers, selling Uefa Cup-type players like Smicer and that long-haired Czech guy (his name escapes me) and replacing them with the mid-table mediocrity that is Jermaine Pennant and Dirk "diggler" Kuyt. Where's the progress?

We haven't made any real progress under Benitez imo. He's bought in a few good players(Reina,Torres,Agger to name but 3). But the difference between now and the early part of his time in charge, he was able to realise his bad signings, and get rid of em. Now he thinks that everything he does is good...? The long haired Czech guy you're thinking of is Milan Baros(now at Portsmouth).

Melion wrote: »
    We finished 2nd in 2002, Arsenal won it and we finished 7 pts behind them and 3 ahead of United.

Thank you. I knew I was right.

then the Americans arrived and he was permitted to spend like a drunken sailor.He decides to go out and cobble together a patchwork of bench-warmers, selling Uefa Cup-type players like Smicer and that long-haired Czech guy (his name escapes me) and replacing them with the mid-table mediocrity that is Jermaine Pennant and Dirk "diggler" Kuyt. Where's the progress?

are you ignoring the fact that since the americans came in (which is a year ago) the signings he has made are, Skyrtl, mascherano, Lucas, benayoun, babel and torres.....who most would admit are sweet signings.

or are you ignoring that?

and he has set our records for points totals achieved by us EVER in the PL, surely thats progress?

plus in the meantime turning us into one of the top teams in the CL. winning one in the meantime.

please think about your posts before hitting the submit button in future!

Tusky wrote: »
    I'd really like to see Riise, Voronin & Kewell leave in the summer.

I wouldnt be distraught if Finnan, Kuyt or Pennant left either, once we brought in a superior replacement.

Over the next two years I feel we need to buy two top class fullbacks, a top class striker and a top class winger. I dont expect them to all come this year. The biggest priority should be the right attacking position that Kuyt is currently playing in.

I hate to say it, but Finnan is past it now. He doesn't have the pace any more.

We'd need to get a very good full-back in to replace him.

are you ignoring the fact that since the americans came in (which is a year ago) the signings he has made are, Skyrtl, mascherano, Lucas, benayoun, babel and torres.....who most would admit are sweet signings.

or are you ignoring that?

and he has set our records for points totals achieved by us EVER in the PL, surely thats progress?

plus in the meantime turning us into one of the top teams in the CL. winning one in the meantime.

please think about your posts before hitting the submit button in future!

But we still have not WON the Premiership, which is what was expected of Houllier and now Benitez.

exactly, but if he gets some more time, he might just do that. He has a history of being able to do that. And with the CL, tbh, i think he has made us more of a force that i think any of us ever expected to be.

Rome wasnt built in a day and all that, before Rafa arrived, we hadnt won in 15 odd years, he is not a miracle worker...its take time to get back up on our ****ing perch (c)SAF.

For me, i see enough positives from his time with us to afford him next season to mount a "serious" title challenge, and think we will be a good bit closer to the winners this year than we were last year.

if we finish within 5 points or so next year and are right in it until the end, i'd give him another year to win. After that, adios Rafa.

thats only me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

not sure if this has already been mentioned...but what would people think if liverpools two summer signings were Robbie Keane and David Bentley?

Heard phil thompson on about the possibility of keane joining. I reckon he could link up really well with torres.

David bentley would be an amazing buy if we could get him. Knowing english transfers though Blackburn would probably want about 25 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Keane would be insane to leave Spurs; he's found a nice little rut. I would absolutely hate for Liverpool to sign him.

Can quick-reply be disabled for certain threads? I really think this thread could do without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

joe123 wrote: »
    not sure if this has already been mentioned...but what would people think if liverpools two summer signings were Robbie Keane and David Bentley?

Heard phil thompson on about the possibility of keane joining. I reckon he could link up really well with torres.

David bentley would be an amazing buy if we could get him. Knowing english transfers though Blackburn would probably want about 25 million?
    Bentley has potential but for a player with no Champions League experience that's an absolutely insane fee. I'm sure the usual names of Quaresma and Joaquin etc. could be grabbed for that kind of money.

As for Keane, I think he's found his level at Spurs and while he's not a bad player, Liverpool could and should look for better targets. Mind you, I'm sure he'd sell a few jerseys in Ireland! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso is an £8m target for Spanish giants Real Madrid, who will also offer Ruben de la Reid as part of the deal. (The Sun)

Defender John Arne Riise is another player who could leave Anfield, with the Norwegian unhappy at his continued spell on the bench. (The Sun)

Both rumours from the sun admittedly but has anyone heard of Ruben de la Reid?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement