Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Show the links of graphic gay sex on After Hours, PI, Lolocaust...

You're arguing that it's somehow acceptable because you've seen it elsewhere.

Don't try to be pedantic with me, I'm not saying it's going to make little boys face melt, it's just inappropriate for this site and those who frequent it during work hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Have to agree with the sentiments that Liverpool/Mascherano were unlucky to be singled out and made a scapegoat for general professional footballer misbehaviour around referees. I don't know how Liverpool are supposed to respond to a belated improper misconduct charge when they can point to Ashley Coles unpunished conduct one week ago, yet likely face an extended ban for Masch if they do.
    Killme00 wrote: »
    He refused to leave the pitch, plain and simple thats misconduct..3 games i would say

According to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SVnSjEzRqs
    It took him about 15 seconds to leave the pitch. Hardly an excessive amount of time. And once he was off the pitch, he didn't come back on. He was naturally and understandably incredulous at the decision, but most of his supposed "improper conduct" was spent arguing with his coaching staff off the field of play.

It's a bit of a no win situation though. 'Pool will have to suck up whatever is thrown at them and the FA will loose even more credibilty in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

zAbbo chill out man.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

cregser wrote: »
    According to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SVnSjEzRqs
    It took him about 15 seconds to leave the pitch. Hardly an excessive amount of time. And once he was off the pitch, he didn't come back on. He was naturally and understandably incredulous at the decision, but most of his supposed "improper conduct" was spent arguing with his coaching staff off the field of play.

First time I've seen that as I ditched Sky last week, two nonsense yellow cards and at a push a total of about 3 seconds "improper conduct" (just as Bennett walks away)

Mascherano did himself no favours by getting involved though.

What is utterly ridiculous is that Cole and Chelsea's behaviour last Wednesday night was much much worse, yet none of them will face any censure. Cole's tackle was IMO as bad as Martin Taylor's, yet I've yet to hear Blatter suggest that Cole should be banned for an extended period (while he is saying that Taylor should be banned for as long as it take's Eduardo to recover? :rolleyes:

The FA have got their priorities arseways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

gucci wrote: »
    Yeah it might help a little between now and the end of the season, with the emphasis on "little" but wait til ya see next season, back screaming and running around after refs again.

Most likely true. Would like to think that the FA have the oppurtunity when the season ends, that they'd review the whole situation and have something better in place by the start of next season.

Anywho, Torres started tonight. Game is on TVU player channel 26771

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

First time I've seen that as I ditched Sky last week, two nonsense yellow cards and at a push a total of about 3 seconds "improper conduct" (just as Bennett walks away)

Mascherano did himself no favours by getting involved though.

What is utterly ridiculous is that Cole and Chelsea's behaviour last Wednesday night was much much worse, yet none of them will face any censure. Cole's tackle was IMO as bad as Martin Taylor's, yet I've yet to hear Blatter suggest that Cole should be banned for an extended period (while he is saying that Taylor should be banned for as long as it take's Eduardo to recover? :rolleyes:

The FA have got their priorities arseways.

spot on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Legends night John Barnes & Jan Molby

Happy to announce the next legends night

17th May Saturday - 8pm The Tram Dublin.

JOHN BARNES & JAN MOLBY

More info on www.irishkop.com tickets for this are going to go fast lads,we are limited to 500 and giving this one is on a Sat it they will move fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Torres looks in pain in the Spain match. Materazzi is having some afters with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Watching Spain v Italy on Setanta. Materazzi is a non-nice-person. He seems intent on revenge on Torres, hope he doesnt catch a bad knock and end up injured for sunday

• Advertisement

we need to become more "dickheadish" as a club.

torres shouldnt be playing this game, should have picked up an "imaginary" injury like some of our rivals do all the ****ing time.

we seriously need to drop an element of the niceness from our game and club in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Not happy with Spain playing Torres. Hopefully he's taken off during half time to protect him for the Merseyside derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote: »
    we seriously need to drop an element of the niceness from our game and club in general.

Im sure Luton would testify that its already happened... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Why would you say that Archi, why should a club give up revenue because somebody asked them to ?

I would imagine that a club going to OT and requesting from the glazers all of the money from a home game would be greeted with a very similar response.

A club thats been mismanaged for years asking us for some of our money?!

**** off, we are not a charity, i was delighted we told them to piss off.

we have more ****ing debt than they could even ****ing contemplate!

Why would you say that Archi, why should a club give up revenue because somebody asked them to ?

I would imagine that a club going to OT and requesting from the glazers all of the money from a home game would be greeted with a very similar response.

Well Fishy, I was merely pointing out that your club isnt all nice. Mr Alan wants ye to be more dickheadish, so I was merely pointing out the Luton incident as an example of when ye can be. Anything else I can help you with?

• Advertisement

are you trying t say Archie that it was "dickheadish" for liverpool not to give Luton money for nothing?

in that case, can i have a €100 please?

bit skint this month-spent all my money on booze and women over the week off i had and bank holidays.

i'll PM my details, cheers in advance.

How could it be considered dickheadish to not give away a huge whack of money to people who have left themselves in that position due to poorly manageing their dosh? are you a dickhead because you do not give money to every beggar that you meet or every charity that comes to the door of your house ? (Not suggesting that you are a dickhead but drawing a parallel to a real life situation that you could understand)

How could it be considered dickheadish to not give away a huge whack of money to people who have left themselves in that position due to poorly manageing their dosh? are you a dickhead because you do not give money to every beggar that you meet or every charity that comes to the door of your house ? (Not suggesting that you are a dickhead but drawing a parallel to a real life situation that you could understand)

I have often given money to beggars - not every beggar I meet, but then again, are Liverpool being flooded with requests for gate receipts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Archimedes wrote: »
    Im sure Luton would testify that its already happened... :)

Same Luton who in the past refused to come up and play a game in Anfield because there was snow on the ground but did not tell Liverpool but some how the Luton fans had made it to Liverpool and they had to deal with the same weather conditions.:confused:

So Luton refusing to come after Liverpool had paid the match day fees leaving Liverpool out of pocket and with no ofer from Luton to pay some of it, i say what comes around goes around.

If they were so strapped for cash why did the not ask Everton for a hand out too in the Carling cup game this season?

Then Luton are a dickheadish club too. Not debating that at all.

• Advertisement

I have no idea but I do know that they do get a lot of requests for charity from actual charitbale organisations and that they do their bit for actual charities as opposed to a football club who wanted what must be close to a million quid for nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

Spain vs Italy
    This is on setanta for any eircom users:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Good to see Arbeloa get his 1st cap for Spain tonight, he just came on for Ramos at RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

Some goal by villa.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Arbeloa has been a great buy for us. I would say he will be a big player fur us for a good few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Did Torres survive the kicking sorry "special attention" from Marco Knakeratzzi?

well he is still alive and I reckon that materazzi probably had a point to prove :)

hopefully looking at the Pools front line next year ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jebus I thought Torres had a sick note from his mum!

Mike.

I reckon if he played for United he would have been injured or should I say, unavailable for selection.

I reckon if he played for United he would have been injured or should I say, unavailable for selection.

Or Barcelona....or Milan....both of whom also had withdrawn players due to 'injuries' tonight, but you go ahead and focus on United there.

Obsessed.

• Advertisement

Yeah that must be it archi, local rivals and the team that are least likely to send a player in the prem to an international friendly in recent past but instead of actually agreeing you go looking for some kind of imagined slight and deflect the comment with "Obsessed". Perhaps you have an unhealthy obsession with the opinions of Liverpool fans :rolleyes: as evidenced by your continued contributions to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Tiresome.

Rooney picked up an obvious knock for Utd in the same game and played for England tonight, so you're talking bollox.

People who take days off on days like today are people who are assured of their spots. Capello has made it clear nobody is.
    Ronaldo and Nani are assured for Portugal. Anderson isn't, so he went.
    Kaka is assured for Brazil. Henry is assured for France.
    Torres isn't assured his spot for Spain, indeed him playing is hugely controversial as it means Raul isn't. He can't exactly skip out on friendlies can he.

All the big clubs act the same imo, its just Liverpool currently happen to have less guaranteed starters.

An obvious knock ?? what he took a kick ? Unbelievably that happens in footy, if he was not available then people would certainly have said that it was a soft injury to have him miss a game for.

An obvious knock ?? what he took a kick ? Unbelievably that happens in footy, if he was not available then people would certainly have said that it was a soft injury to have him miss a game for.

Yet a lot of Liverpool fans expected Torres to miss tonights game because of a slight knock...

he was also expected to miss the league game on the weekend based on an early prognosis, thankfully he was found to be fit to play after having some scans and travelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

how did torres play?
    did they leave him on for the 90?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

PHB wrote: »
    People who take days off on days like today are people who are assured of their spots. Capello has made it clear nobody is.
    Ronaldo and Nani are assured for Portugal. Anderson isn't, so he went.
    Kaka is assured for Brazil. Henry is assured for France.
    Torres isn't assured his spot for Spain, indeed him playing is hugely controversial as it means Raul isn't. He can't exactly skip out on friendlies can he.

All the big clubs act the same imo, its just Liverpool currently happen to have less guaranteed starters.

yeah picking torres over raul on current form is nuts :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has been identified as the man to replace current Barcelona boss Frank Rijkaard. The Spaniard is also the target of Real Madrid, Valencia and Atletico Madrid. (Various)

The Catalan giants look set for a summer overhaul, with Ronaldinho likely to leave for a cut-price £12m at the end of the season - putting Chelsea on red alert. (The Sun)

But the Blues could be more interested in tempting Barca's highly rated teenage striker Gal Assulin, who has also caught the eye of Manchester City scouts, to Stamford Bridge. (Daily Star)

I have heard we were looking at this Assulin kid as well as Geovanni a while back seems there may have been some interest from the two from what i remember. they are quite highlt rated by Barca so it would be a surprise if they were let go, but we have been signing some pretty goof youth plaers from Spain in the last couple of years.

Also Ronny for 12m, bargainm although could he stand up to the pace and physical nature of the prem, my guess is he will look for a move to seria A.

If i was Rafa I would leave if an offer came in from Barca or Real - much better chance of winning the league in Spain. dont know if i would like to see him go though! also he could be out on his ear by next winter - it's a big risk to turn down an offer like that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cyrus wrote: »

Raul is actually in gret form this year - 21 or 22 goals so far, so its not like they'd be selecting an over-the-hill and past-it Raul ahead of Torres should it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think you're missing the point, Raul is like a God in Spain and Aragonés leaving him out is actually quite controversial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Call_me_al wrote: »

If i was Rafa I would leave if an offer came in from Barca or Real - much better chance of winning the league in Spain. dont know if i would like to see him go though! also he could be out on his ear by next winter - it's a big risk to turn down an offer like that again.

Wouldnt be a great reflection on his caracter imo. Jumping ship to win the league elsewhere becaause the current job is provign difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Well, after the way Hicks and Gillette treated him (wrt Klinsmann and all that), if he did decide to go this year, I think most people (who aren't Liverpool fans anyways) wouldn't think too badly of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Stekelly wrote: »
    Wouldnt be a great reflection on his caracter imo. Jumping ship to win the league elsewhere becaause the current job is provign difficult.

i think it is a matter of principle and job security. if my bosses f***ed me around like G&H have done to Rafa (from what we know) i would be on the lookout for a new job.

i have a lot of respect for Rafa and if he left I would imagine there would be a good reason for it (ie probably told by Hicks to take the job to save face from being fired)

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i think it is a matter of principle and job security. if my bosses f***ed me around like G&H have done to Rafa (from what we know) i would be on the lookout for a new job.

exactly

• Advertisement

Where did I say it was? I just said it was controversial? Why? Because Raul has been a top class striker since before Torres was even on a pro contract! Who would I pick? Not hugely sure, but nonetheless, he has to go in order to keep his spot. Ronaldo doesn't. Thats why he didn't go.
    Thats why Torres had to. Liverpool don't actually have many players who are assured of their starting spot, Agger, Riise, Benayoun?
    If Agger needs a rest, and theres a crappy midweek friendly, I've no doubt that he'll pick up an injury.

It's not that Liverpool are being 'nicer', its just the situation their players are in on the international front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I think Rafa's agent has been working hard for Rafa with this Barca story.

He will benefit whatever happens. We see the same stories with countless players every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

prendy wrote: »
    how did torres play?
    did they leave him on for the 90?

He didn't get much time to play as Materazzi kicked lumps out of him. He was taken off for his own safety I think.

Personally I can't see why Barca would want Rafa, he doesn't play 'attractive' football, which they are meant to be committed to. Spainish likes those sorts of things unless they are doing badly. Like Capello was fired by Real Madrid after winning the league for being too defensive.
    I always imagined Rafa going to Serie A.
    Either way, whether he'll stay or go now is unknown, but I'd say he's a lot closer to leaving now than he was before. At the same time, whether the owners fire him in the summer is still unknown. Remember 4th place is still in doubt, and were Liverpool to lose to Arsenal (a fairly even chance most would agree), Liverpools season will be back to being an failure, and the pressure will return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i dont think anyone had any issue with how his valencia team played?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement