Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Cyrus wrote: »
    i dont think anyone had any issue with how his valencia team played?

Why let something stupid like a 'fact' get in the way of a good argument though?

Everyone knows that Rafa plays defensive football at Liverpool... he must be giving out sh*te to his players this season for scoring more in all competitions than anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Look lets not be stupid here, there's no denying that Liverpool don't play as attractive football as United or Arsenal, and to suggest otherwise is just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

****e, that means only Ferguson or Wenger can get a job at Real and Barca in future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

PHB wrote: »
    Look lets not be stupid here, there's no denying that Liverpool don't play as attractive football as United or Arsenal, and to suggest otherwise is just stupid.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    ****e, that means only Ferguson or Wenger can get a job at Real and Barca in future!

you both have a point, although i think Rafa's football when played right is a lot better than Capello's (offensively). At valencia they played crisp, free flowing football under Rafa but the system comes across as much more defensive in the prem whether that is that Rafa has changed it or to do with the way the prem is played i am not sure. he could do a job at real, although not with their current squad but i dont think he would last at Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

They are nowhere near as fluid. But i don't think we have the same level of creative player as the other two teams. But i think the football Liverpool play is fine, when they play well that is. It's not breathtaking like Arsenal's but it's certainly not defensive and (apart from Carragher) it's certainly not long ball either. Both of these assertions are often made, and they are absolutely wrong in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Rafa is Spanish, albeit from Madrid, which would still put him above Frank in the popularity stakes.

He's very well thought of in Spain, as he is a home-grown manager who has experienced European success with both Valencia and with a large Spanish contingent in Liverpool.

A lot of Spainish fans follow Liverpool due to Rafalution, we've got Reina, Arbeloa, Torres, Alonso (all current Spanish Internationals), as well as a few youth players (Dominguez, Roque, Ayala, Pacheco etc.) and in recent seasons we've also had Luis Garcia, Nunez and Barragan.

His popularity is high, and he will consistently be linked with Barcelona and Madrid managerial positions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I guess it's subjective, and being a United fan you are obviously going to say that, albeit with a tipped hat to Mr Wenger.

Liverpool have played some very attractive football this season, which when you see it, makes you wonder if Rafa could buy the kind of players he wants always, would it be like that all the time, and Liverpool are more limited by their personnel than by Rafa's tactics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

aye they played nice football when he was at valencia, though their top scorer that year was baraja, who only got 9 goals or something. so id say there is still the opinion in spain that they play a bit defensive, he played with two holding midfielders which is what got capello a lot of stick at madrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Real Madrid isnt the circus it was but they still think winning ugly is a sin. As do Barca only more so! Anyway its all paper talk - Rafa is mentioned as being sought by 4 clubs this morning.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

event wrote: »
    aye they played nice football when he was at valencia, though their top scorer that year was baraja, who only got 9 goals or something. so id say there is still the opinion in spain that they play a bit defensive, he played with two holding midfielders which is what got capello a lot of stick at madrid

When they won the league Valencia were the 2nd highest scorers 71 just one
    behind Real with 72 and by far the meanest defense in the league.
    Mista scored 19 goals that year, no clue where you are getting that
    baraja stat?

• Advertisement

i think there is a conspiracy to get rafa out going on - i dont know how else to explain it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7316707.stm

i mean wtf? who cares what Henchoz has to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Take the two best players from any time, and you'd wonder where the goals will come from...

Henchoz comments are about as intelligent as saying if Liverpool played with no keeper they would conceed more goals.
    Looks like someone is looking for a bit of media attention, the next great sky pundit = Henchoz
    You heard it here first :rolleyes:
    Yet another stupid pointless comment by an ex player

i think the media must be baiting these guys though and not running with the guys who defend the strategy. Mourinho leaving has done nothing good for us, the press has had no one else to pester it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Benitez really does get a hard time in the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

it's that dodgy goatee, they loved him prior to the emergence of that abomination...

it's that dodgy goatee, they loved him prior to the emergence of that abomination...

i think you've sussed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

FROM .TV:

Harry Kewell is returning from international duty with a groin strain.
    The Aussie winger was forced to pull out of his country's World Cup qualifier in China, and returned to Sydney to be examined by medical staff.

He's now expected back on Merseyside by the end of the week.

A club spokesman said: "We've been in contact with the Australian medical staff and Harry will be returning to the UK later this week."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

standard :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    FROM .TV:

The Aussie winger was forced to pull out of his country's World Cup qualifier in China, and returned to Sydney to be examined by medical staff.

A club spokesman said: "We've been in contact with the Australian medical staff and Harry will be returning to the UK later this week."

Injured again??? This guy is our Darren Anderton! Now, if only Dirk Kuyt had the decency to stop by the sickbay anois is arís....save us all his workman-like displays. "Yes, I know Kuyt didn't score any goals again today, but sure his workrate was phenomonal."

Maybe if Dirk Kuyt works hard enough we can pull back that 14 point deficit and win the league.

HK should just admit defeat and quit while he can still walk.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭GBX

He is a on a slippery slope to the championship.... maybe back to leeds? He certainly wont get the same wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

IrishMike wrote: »
    When they won the league Valencia were the 2nd highest scorers 71 just one
    behind Real with 72 and by far the meanest defense in the league.
    Mista scored 19 goals that year, no clue where you are getting that
    baraja stat?

forgot he had won it twice actually

the first time, 01/02, they won it with just 51 goals scored, was won on an impressive defense

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Liga_-_2001/2002

baraja was the top scorer that year
    The 2001/02 season would see Baraja's first trophy win, where his goals late in the campaign helped Valencia to their first La Liga championship in 31 years. He finished the club's top scorer in the league that season with seven goals in only seventeen league games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub%C3%A9n_Baraja

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    FROM .TV:

If he was a horse he would have been shot at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The goatee is great. \o/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Here is a funny one for you Liverpool fans, just seen Jeff Winter talking on Sky Sports News about Masch and it always reminds me of that passage from his auto-biography.
    “I had mixed feelings. On the one hand I wanted to finish the game a little early and get off the pitch before people saw big tough Jeff Winter in tears. Then again, I didn’t want the game to end. Liverpool were 4-0 up, so it was in my hands. Nobody would care either way. In the end I played a little bit extra, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast — a bit like the Last Post. The fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was the applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, that it would not surprise me.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just got this in an email, some of you delusional scousers might like it ;)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davemcg/pic28135.gif?t=1206664751

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Harry Kewell is gimbles. Don't think any top-flight club will take him on, considering his wages and his injury history.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Just got this in an email, some of you delusional scousers might like it ;)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davemcg/pic28135.gif?t=1206664751

3rd time posted and it wasnt well received the last few times...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i still piss myself at it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    HK should just admit defeat and quit while he can still walk.

Mike

Would you if you were getting his wages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

The-Rigger wrote: »
    The goatee is great. \o/
    El Diablo :D
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Would you if you were getting his wages?
    All I can say is thank feck his contract is up in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A fantasy football related question for ye lads....Do ye think Torres will start on Sunday V Everton?

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content ... 91143_5912

Gillette finally speaks in massive detail about LFC, i havent listened to it yet, but from reading other sites about wat he talks about, it sounds fairly explosive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

KevIRL wrote: »
    A fantasy football related question for ye lads....Do ye think Torres will start on Sunday V Everton?
    Hopefully! :)

Gillette finally speaks in massive detail about LFC, i havent listened to it yet, but from reading other sites about wat he talks about, it sounds fairly explosive.

Any idea where on this page to find it? [/clueless] :confused:

no, i'm in work so i cant access it, just took the link from another forum where they are talking about it.

no, i'm in work so i cant access it, just took the link from another forum where they are talking about it.

http://qml.quiettouch.com/files/radio/fan590/hotaudio/georgegillett-pt-20080327.mp3

double post.

There is no link on the page for the audio :(
    Would you have the main points by any chance?

• Advertisement

Cant listen to it at work :(
    Anyone got a couple of lines of a summary?
    Come on mike you have nothing better to do ;)

The short of it is this - Gillett confirms that his relationship with Hicks has broken down. Reading between the lines it looks like a deal between Gillett and DIC might be a way forwards, (with DIC buying out Gillett later?).

One fascinating comment - "we (myself and Foster) have received offers to visit and meet fans before a game, there's none of the hosility that seems to have been directed at others in the partnership"

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Listening now.

When first asked about Liverpool his response "Oh, boy".

Interviewer: "Bluntly, has this partnership with Mr. Hicks become unworkable?"
    Gillette:"Oh, it has been for some time".

And after: " When your public persona is more important than the facts, that makes it very difficult to have a rational relationship. "

Yeah. They're getting on swell!

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Listening now.

And after: " When your public persona is more important than the facts, that makes it very difficult to have a rational relationship. "

Yeah. They're getting on swell!

And he mentioned that Hick's had plenty of time to buy him out but wasn't able to.

Also, the people sending him death threats - absolute scum. I mean we were all angry about what was going on, but how mindless can you get

i havent listened to it yet, but i'd imagine the death threats are more along the lines of

"I'll ****ing murder you if ya dont sell up ya yanky bastard!" as opposed to genuine, "death" threats.

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Listening now.

That's horribly out of context.

i havent listened to it yet, but i'd imagine the death threats are more along the lines of

"I'll ****ing murder you if ya dont sell up ya yanky bastard!" as opposed to genuine, "death" threats.

they were also directed at his wife and kids. The example you gave is still a threat, and must be frightening to receive - especially when it's aimed at your family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah c'mon! Are you seriously trying to justify death treats?
    A death threat is a death threat full stop, it doesn't matter how it's worded and I'm sure the police would agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement