Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I miss this lad :(

still one of the best headers i've ever seen

I know I remember it, but who was that against...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

PHB wrote: »
    What? It's not my fault, I never said anything, blame malice and jesus!

lol, you mentioned potential jinxing, that made it much worse, I held my tongue so as not to make it much worseter.

*shakes harder

ffs 3-2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Doh!! Awh well :D Arsenal for the league!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I know I remember it, but who was that against...?

Anderlecht iirc
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/season/2005-2006/nov/525/teamsheet.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Apart from the fact they won - were Arsenal any good or did Bolton forget to defend the lead (after all they probably can't remember the last time they had to)?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bolton went 2 up but then made a huge mistake...

They tried to play football...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Archimedes wrote: »
    Bolton went 2 up but then made a huge mistake...

They tried to play football...

hahahaha. thats the unfortunate truth about the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

mike65 wrote: »
    Apart from the fact they won - were Arsenal any good or did Bolton forget to defend the lead (after all they probably can't remember the last time they had to)?

I thought Arsenal were good for their 10-men. But they scraped through really. Gallas was left unmarked from 6 yards for the first from a corner, so dodby Bolton defending, which is why they are 3rd from bottom this season. The 2nd was a penalty, a late tackle in the box on Hleb when there was no danger of him scoring. The 3rd was a double deflection and went down as an own-goal as Fibreglass tried to pass then ball to someone when up close from 10 yards or so.

Bolton are where they are for a reason. This result though for Liverpool is fine, as it shows that Arsenal are still very fallible. Also, mentally, they will feel as if they are doing well, whereas in reality they arent. Falso optimism I hope, and we should be able to exploit that if we go gung-ho. We will need to return our confidence though and a good win against Everton is the 1st step to that, and to 4th place.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What? It's not my fault, I never said anything, blame malice and jesus!
    Hang on, you're not blaming me for that 3:2 scoreline are you? If so, what can I post to insure that we batter Everton tomorrow? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Three Benitez buys already in the bag

By JOE BERNSTEIN -
    Last updated at 20:26pm on 29th March 2008

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has already lined up three new signings for the summer to underline his belief he will remain in charge whoever wins the Anfield power struggle.

Benitez believes he is fireproof whoever triumphs in the ownership battle involving Tom Hicks, George Gillett and Dubaibased investment group DIC.

As the manager prepares to take on Everton in what is virtually a Champions League eliminator at Anfield today, Benitez was unusually candid.

He has money available following a refinancing package agreed by Hicks and Gillett in February. Although Gillett reopened the war of words with his co-owner this week, branding their relationship 'unworkable', Benitez seems to think it will have little impact on his job of building a title-winning team.

'We have agreements with two young players and one senior player who will be a starting XI player. That deal is already done,' said a bullish Benitez. 'We are also making plans for our preseason tour and talking to players here about new contracts.'

Benitez has been strongly linked in Germany with Schalke's Brazilian full-back Rafinha, who is known as 'Little Rafa'. The two younger players are believed to be from South America.

Sami Hyypia and young keeper Dave Martin are in talks about new deals as Liverpool try to prove they will not stagnate because of the impasse between the American co-owners.

Significantly, though, striker Peter Crouch will not discuss a five-year deal until the summer while Jon Arne Riise and Harry Kewell have not been offered anything, because they are ****e.

Off-the-field, Hicks, who broke off takeover talks with DIC because of what he saw as smear tactics, thinks Gillett's comments are a crude attempt to force a sale to DIC. While currently committed to paying £28 million a year in interest, Champions League football is almost a financial necessity.

The above is from the Daily Mail. And the journo does not say cos "they are ****e!" :)

Mike.

well he should have!;)

sorry forgot to edit that out from the place i copied it from!

What's little rafa like? Any scouts here? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

from wiki

Rafinha stands at 1.72 metres and is not only a solid defender, but shows huge willingness to burst forward down the flank. His comfort on the ball is rounded out by strong shooting ability and plenty of talent in his left as well as his favoured right foot.

To add to that he's only 22.

Mirror Feb 22
    Brazilian full-back Rafinha has revealed he would be interested in a move to Liverpool.

The Schalke defender is under contract with the German club until 2011 but would relish a summer switch to Anfield.
    'Liverpool is a top destination,' the 22-year-old said in the Sunday Mirror.
    'If a move would suit Schalke as well as myself, we can discuss it.'
    Schalke director of football Andreas Muller said: 'It is good that our players are being linked with such prestigious clubs, but we don't want to let anyone go.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I've seen Rafinho play once or twice, can't remember how he played, but it shows Rafa plays Football Manager, no doubt he was raiding Guilherme and some of those gifted Santos kids as well ;)

Whats up with Finnan, haven't seen him in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Has been injured but is on his way back.

From Physioroom.

S Finnan Hamstring Injury 30th Mar 08 very doubtful

Rick Parry was on frivelive this morning only heard the last minute no doubt it was about Gillette breaking cover about Hicks. It should availible for streaming later.

Mike.

Is turning into a farce at this stage. They should just get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is Finnans Liverpool career over? I can't understand why Rafa would spend money on a RB when there are obvious other priorities, unless he really doesn't rate Finnan.

• Advertisement

Well he got three more seasons than he might have expected when Rafa arrived. He is 30/31 and if Benitez wants full backs who can press forward at speed on the overlap then I think Finnan is probably past it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

BBC news story on Parry's comments:
    Parry calls for Reds resolution

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has called on the club's co-owners to quickly resolve the Reds' future.

On Friday, George Gillett revealed his partnership with fellow American Tom Hicks had become "unworkable".

Parry is pleased that the admission brings the situation to a head but insists immediate action is needed.

"If they're not able to co-exist then there needs to be a solution where one buys and one sells, or both sell," Parry told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"There aren't too many other possibilities but it's pretty clear that to carry on with the status quo is going to be extremely difficult."

He continued: "There is no question that to succeed you need unity at the top, unity at the club, and everyone pulling in the same direction.

"Without that, it is extremely difficult to progress and it is clear from George has said the unity is not there.

"George has been pretty unequivocal in what he has said. You have to think he thought long and hard before coming out with the statement he made on Friday, it did not leave room for doubt."

Dubai International Capital (DIC) recently failed in an attempt to buy into Liverpool, with Hicks refusing to do business unless he can retain a controlling share.

Gillett appears to be open to offers and claimed DIC would be "responsible" owners.

Whatever happens, Parry wants does not want the situation to drag on.

"I think it brings it to a head - clearly for the good of the club," he added.

"It's dragged on for long enough. The ideal would be to move to as speedy a resolution as possible."

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith said the ownership saga had damaged the club's image.

"It is a bit of an embarrassment because Liverpool don't hang their washing in public.

"I think there was always going to be a problem with the two of them getting involved," Smith commented.

But Peter Crouch, the club's England striker, told the BBC's Sportsweek programme that boardroom issues were distracting for the team.

"It is not great when you hear things about the club changing hands but as players we are paid to play.

"When you are on the pitch you are not concerned about who is running it at the top end, you are concerned about the team in front of you," he said.

Well he got three more seasons than he might have expected when Rafa arrived. He is 30/31 and if Benitez wants full backs who can press forward at speed on the overlap then I think Finnan is probably past it.

Mike.
    Is turning 32 next month. Still puts a better ball into the box than arbeloa does too.

I think Arbeloa is/will be a utiltiy defender in Rafas mind and he'll add pacy FBs for the long term. Of course Benitez doing deals (with Parry one presumes?) is interesting in itself bearing in mind the uncertainty.

Mike.

But surely Finnan for another year, and then more money spent on attack would be a much better choice?
    It's not like Arbeloa is a particuarly bad player, and Finnan certainly isn't past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

But surely Neville for another year, and then more money spent on attack would be a much better choice?
    It's not like Arbeloa is a particuarly bad player, and Finnan certainly isn't past it.
    Hope Gary "I hate scousers" Neville doesn't see this post PHB. He'll be baying for your blood!

I've been doing that a lot lately, I think my mind is slipping. Old age gets to us all I guess.

yea i've noticed you doing it a bit alright! :)

maybe rafa wants little rafa in this summer cause he wants to beat other clubs to his signature, if he waits another year, who knows wat could happen-remember Dani Alves?:)

anyway, at the minute its all speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is Finnans Liverpool career over? I can't understand why Rafa would spend money on a RB when there are obvious other priorities, unless he really doesn't rate Finnan.

But you are assuming that that is the only purchase he would make. I think a right sided wide attacker, whether that be a winger or striker, is clearly priority. Although the fullbacks should be improved upon as well. Finnan is 31 and has struggled with injuries this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

This list is taken from a show on LFC TV.

10 - Marvin Pourie
    9 - Nathan Eccleston
    8 - Adam Hammill
    7 - David Amoo
    6 - Mikel San Jose
    5 - Jay Spearing
    4 - Krisztian Nemeth
    3 - Stephen Darby
    2 - Damien Plessis
    1 - Emiliano Insua

I'd have rated Nemeth a little higher than that.

Anyone know whats happened to Leto? He doesn't seem to have played recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

rosboy wrote: »
    Anyone know whats happened to Leto? He doesn't seem to have played recently.
    There was some issues over his passport (and therefore work permit) but they were sorted out last week so he is cleared to play again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

seabee wrote: »
    There was some issues over his passport (and therefore work permit) but they were sorted out last week so he is cleared to play again.

Thanks Seebee.

Think he should have been in the top 10. He looks great in the reserves, although I know there is a big difference between the reserves and the first team. Although I saw Kewell play in the reserves a few weeks ago, and didn't even look great there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The Liverpool line-up in full is: Reina, Carragher, Hyypia, Skrtel, Riise, Lucas, Alonso, Gerrard, Kuyt, Torres, Babel. Subs: Itandje, Finnan, Benayoun, Crouch, Pennant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If Finnan is fit enough for the bench, why not start him ?

Big game today, I think we'll win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Everton were poor but I'm happy with that. Roll on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Interesting enough read, Dudek, enjoying the laid back lifestyle in Spain.

Happy with that win. Another well taken goal from Torres and an assist from the underrated Kuyt. Interesting that the yellow card that Torres got was his fifth of the season. Any idea what the others were for? (obviously excluding the one from last weekend because we all know what that one was for). I have vague memories of him clattering someone with a tackle earlier in the season but no idea how he picked up the other two cards.

That was an ideal warm-up for Wednesday, no drama and coasting for most of the second half. Masch fit and fresh whereas although Arsenal get the extra 24 hours they had to work far harder and are not in great shape anyway.

Mike.

• Advertisement

That was an ideal warm-up for Wednesday, no drama and coasting for most of the second half. Masch fit and fresh whereas although Arsenal get the extra 24 hours they had to work far harder and are not in great shape anyway.

Mike.
    Shh! We need to keep ourselves portrayed as the underdogs! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Did I not see when Torres got booked that it was yellow card number 5 of the season? Wont that mean a suspension of 1 game? Hope not!

If so not a problem Crouch put three past them last season :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

GBX wrote: »
    Did I not see when Torres got booked that it was yellow card number 5 of the season? Wont that mean a suspension of 1 game? Hope not!

According to be the beeb, yes it was, he misses Arsenal.
    Carragher's on 4 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Nope. This late in the season 5 yellow cards doesn't get you a suspension, just an official warning from the FA. Think you need about 10 to get a ban now.

Thank f for that.... mind you, Crochy getting a start might not have been too bad...

• Advertisement

Happy days then ... yeah I was unsure myself. Andy Gray never made much about it. Might even bring in Crouch with Torres ... give Arsenal a bit of a headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nope. This late in the season 5 yellow cards doesn't get you a suspension, just an official warning from the FA. Think you need about 10 to get a ban now.

That's what Tyler said alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Happy days then ... yeah I was unsure myself. Andy Gray never made much about it. Might even bring in Crouch with Torres ... give Arsenal a bit of a headache.

Good to see Andy Gray brought down a peg or three after his "outburst" last weekend!!!! He was soooo subdued today, it was untrue.

:D

Yeah ... he can get quite contrary at times! Get back in your box Gray! :D

He was postively postive towards Liverpool! :p

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement