Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Telegraph reporting that Hicks, Gillet & DIC are all due to meet at the Emirates stadium on Wed evening
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2008/03/31/sfnliv131.xml
    Hopefully they'll all be there for more than just a pint & a pie at half time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Rafa always seems to do his more enlightening interviews with Guillem Ballague.. this one is no different..

From The TimesMarch 31, 2008
    The Liverpool manager goes on the record exclusively with TheGame, starting, as he must, with rotation

Guillem Balague

Liverpool’s victory over the old enemy yesterday will ease the pressure on Rafael BenÍtez, for whom two Champions League final appearances in three season has not been enough to avoid harsh judgments after another failed title bid. Here he answers his critics.

Your way of working has always involved squad rotation. How and why do you take the decision to rotate a player? Are fewer rotations the way forward?

First, if you rotate a squad it means you believe in your players and trust in their ability to perform. You want everyone to feel they are working together to achieve our goals. If we win it is thanks to the efforts of everyone, however small their contribution. Look at Vladimir Smicer, who did not play a lot for us [in 2004-05] but scored one of the goals that allowed us to win the Champions League.

Every manager with a team in European competitions and with international players, with so many games to play, rotates his squad – call them changes, rotations, they all do it. Nowadays, in comparison to 20 years ago, we play 20 per cent more games in a season. Players run 15 per cent more than they used to and, even more importantly, they run 30 per cent faster.

Things have changed in terms of physical demands. The decision to rotate starts by watching my team train – that is a priority for me. I see which players have energy and what players need to rest. You look at a player, talk to your staff, to the doctors, try to analyse the situation and then you chat to the footballer, although he will almost always say that he is ready to play. So sometimes you have to read between the lines to gauge whether they are really fully fit and if they are more tired than they are letting on.

Do you feel that Alex Ferguson “changes the team” and you “rotate” or “tinker”?

When managers win matches, people talk about how they changed players; if they don’t win, then it becomes “rotation policies”. People make an evaluation of a team without knowing enough about the side. People would say, “Why don’t you just pick the same team?” but they haven’t given the wider issues enough thought.

Are you still involved in all the training sessions?

I’ve always gone to every training session and I will keep doing this. Maybe from time to time manager obligations force me to miss some parts of training, but it is very rare. It is a priority to be there whenever I can, especially when addressing tactical issues.

Why does your Liverpool side not yet look like your old Valencia side?

The team that I left at Valencia had had great success and were a strong unit. That side knew what they had to do and destroyed opponents. I think that this Liverpool team has had moments where they’ve played at a similar level, but logically everything takes time.

When I arrived at Valencia I found a squad that was already quite dangerous, solid and well put together by Héctor Cúper. When we arrived at Liverpool we found a team that was low in confidence and hadn’t had a winning record. We had to rebuild. None of the players that left us are playing at a club that are of a higher standard than Liverpool.

What would your ideal Liverpool side be like - similar to your old Valencia team?

Some teams prefer the long game, others the short game. I think there’s always a middle path to take between the two. I like a team that always knows what to do in each moment, a team that knows when it’s time to maintain possession and play the short ball and by the same token a team that knows when it’s time to take a more direct approach.

What tactical differences are there between the Premier League and the Champions League? Do you think the less tactical nature of some Premier League games is the reason why your style of play is yet to triumph in the English league?

Evidently the Premier League is much more physical and in the Champions League, tactically speaking there are more options open to a manager. When you are talking about long balls and second balls, what you are looking at effectively is a 50-50 scenario. It can go one of two ways. Whoever wins that second ball will either continue attacking or be able to start a counter-attack.

What this means is that the Premier League is tactically speaking a more simple or straightforward competition. You can try to control two or three aspects of a game and that’s enough. In the Champions League the tactics become more complex because different styles of play are brought together when different teams from different countries meet.

Is the Premier League more straightforward in terms of tactics but more difficult in terms of control of the game?

Yes, we are talking about a very physical competition. When you put the ball in the opposition’s penalty area and you fight for it, a physical dimension takes over.

So what do Liverpool need to do to win the Premier League?

A balance between technical ability and physical strength. We’re a team with enough technical ability to play well and we have enough physical strength to compete, but what we need to do is bring these two elements together so that when key moments arise we are ready and able to compete.

Do you favour the Champions League over other competitions? Do your goals for this season change?

You start every season here with four objectives. As a manager, you have to be able to manage your resources to get the best out of your squad.

In terms of the Premier League we were close at certain points this season, but we drew s e v e r a l games and lost touch, whereas in the Champions League we continued to progress. What happens is that subconsciously your focus turns to the competition you have within your reach.

They say that the departure of Pako Ayestarán [the former assistant manager] had a negative effect on the morale and performance of the team. Is that the way you see it? Can you tell us what happened?

Pako was much more than a physical trainer, he was my friend and someone I trusted for many years. I worked with him for 11 years. It’s a recent wound that still hurts.

Liverpool gave him autonomy and power and I think that changed him a lot – he wanted more and more. One day I found out that he had serious contacts with other teams and that seemed to me a betrayal towards me and the club that I couldn’t accept. He told me he wanted to leave the same day that we played against Toulouse, so I lost someone I trusted greatly, a key member of my staff at a crucial moment in the preseason.

Logically, this has an effect on a team. The people that arrived had to adapt and familiarise themselves with a new environment. This meant that a transitional period started at the club, but we still managed to win games and play well. Then, when we started to draw games, people questioned our work.

I believe that no one is irreplaceable and we have to keep moving forward. Paco de Miguel took over the role as physical trainer. Also, as a result, I have more of a presence around the team and try to have more involvement with the players.

Certain commentators say that if Fernando Torres had played more you could have been challenging for the Premier League title.

That has been one of the great lies of this season. There are a lot of people that talk without having thought things through about the number of games Torres has played and the impact that this has had on our performance in the league. Torres did not take part in the victorious games against Toulouse [4-0], Beşiktaş [8-0] and Havant & Waterlooville [5-2].

He didn’t make the bench in eight games; for six of these he was injured, which seems to be something that people forget. The other two games were in the FA Cup and Carling Cup, so the theory about our position in the league being down to Torres being missing doesn’t add up.

How much did he cost?

Whenever we talk about the deal for Torres with Atlético Madrid we always include Luis GarcÍa in the price. The total cost of the operation is around £20 million.

Has his success surprised you?

You always have confidence in a player that arrives with energy and desire and who has great quality. However, the truth is that he has been a fantastic success. He has already scored 28 goals and the level of play he brings to the side and his commitment to the team is hugely significant.

We formulated a plan when he arrived, focusing on trying to keep him up front close to the defenders because with the speed that he has, if you give him a good pass he’ll latch on to it. The problem is, with so many games we haven’t had bags of time to work on specifics. We’ve tried with the group to work on certain technical individual aspects as well as helping the players to learn how to execute at crucial moments.

In Fernando’s case this involves tuning up his finishing, for example. We try to find time to work as well on Steven Gerrard’s new role, which he is certainly enjoying.

Thirty-one goals out of 56 [in the league] this season have come from Torres and Gerrard. Is that a worry?

This shows that they are two players with great timing and quality – they are a great plus for us. But we have to get to a point where other players get on to the scoresheet, too, the likes of Dirk Kuyt, Peter Crouch and Ryan Babel, for instance.

In Britain the press do not focus on tactics so much. Do you feel, because of that, your work has been undervalued?

Not specifically. It’s true that the press in England talk a lot more about names. Here they talk about the name of the player and the performance of the individual over the collective performance. This is part of the football culture here and I accept it.

When I talk to the members of the press that come by here on a regular basis, I get the impression that they know what they’re talking about. I understand that analysis from a distance is harder.

People accuse you of not signing properly. And they mention Josemi, Antonio Núñez, Craig Bellamy and even Jermaine Pennant.

At a time when we didn’t have endless economic resources, I think that we made good signings in general. We should be talking about players like Reina, Agger, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Luis GarcÍa, Torres, Babel, Lucas Leiva, Skrtel and also Arbeloa, Sissoko, Fabio Aurélio, Kuyt. These are players who have brought a lot to the team. And in certain cases – for example, Sissoko and Bellamy – the club gained financially.

We have signed 28 players in four years for the first team. Considering that the number of changes we had to make when I arrived and the fact that without much money we have to take more risks, I don’t think this is a disproportionate number.

Why does Crouch not play more regularly?

We’ve established a system with one main striker and one secondary striker that works quite well. Logically this makes it more complicated for him. We have a striker that has scored 28 goals, so the other players have to work around that. For instance, now if the secondary striker is Gerrard [who has scored 19 goals], logically there are less options for the other players.

You talk about differences in spending between Chelsea, Manchester United and yourselves. Arsenal are having success having spent less. What is the right path to follow for Liverpool?

I have a rough idea of the figures involved. Chelsea had spent £120 million previously and an additional £240 million to win the league in the 2004-05 season. Manchester United have spent £200 million in recent years. This year on Carlos Tévez, Owen Hargreaves, Anderson and Nani, that cost them more than £70 million. Tottenham have spent £100 million in the last two seasons alone. And Arsenal have spent more or less the same amount as we have on young players with potential.

In my four years at Liverpool we have spent £150 million and we have gained somewhere in the region of £70 million. Looking at those numbers, there’s a difference of £20 million per season, yet we have won four [trophies] and played seven finals. When all things are considered, that’s not a bad return. I think that we’re on the right path.

Now we can spend money on players if we can earn some by selling players. If we don’t have the £500 million Chelsea spent in recent years, we have to look to lay the foundations in the youth teams and reserve teams and build from there.

The players in the reserve team are 17, 18 years old, so they’ll need two, three years to reach the right level and the first team. We are close to making three signings, one for the first team.

Is it only money that is the difference with the other top three? Is it also a question of mentality?

I think that success breeds confidence and a positive mentality. We won the Champions League [in 2005] and that victory meant that we had the confidence to reach another final in that competition [in 2007]. In the Premier League we have not had the same success, so we are steadily building the same confidence.

How much longer would you like to stay at Liverpool?

I am very happy and would like to stay here for many more years.

What communication have you had with Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr?

I have had contact through e-mail with them and also Rick Parry [the chief executive] lets me know what the situation is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

nice interview...pennant mightnt be the happiest though!
    anyone see the sunday world yesterday about gerrard being sold cause he's not pulling his weight?
    i had to laugh.... he's pulling 8-9 peoples weight at times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I were Crouchy I'd be phoning my agent.

Earlier Gerrard was not always pulling his weight but now he is the feed for Torres and barrelling forwards he's as happy as Larry.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd say its because in the last 13 league games, he's scored 3 goals and gotten 2 assists. His form isn't what it was earlier in the season, but personally I think it's just cause he is saving himself for the Arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sometimes you notice Gerrard not tracking back or if the ball is lost, letting it go.

But I think these are the tactics which are needed for him to play at his best, he has 2 defensive midfielders behind him to soak up lost balls, what we want is Gerrard sitting on the half way line when we're defending, and closer to the box when attacking.

what did ye think of crouch coming on for 30 seconds yesterday?
    id say he's a very unhappy camper!

what would ye take from the next 3 games?
    personally i wouldnt mind ddw or even dlw.

a draw at the emirates on weds would be a HUGE result in the tie as i think Anfield's 12th man on CL night will be influential.

is wenger more after the league of CL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A nice win yesterday for Liverpool against Everton, although not as many goals as there should have been. Liverpool dominated, but didnt get the goals in and risked allowing Everton to steal a point. But it ended up okay.
    prendy wrote: »
    is wenger more after the league or CL?

At the moment, things have slipped in the league, despite the 3-2 win at Bolton, and their run-in is tough. If we draw against them in the league, he will have no option but to optimize for the CL. However, historically, Arsenal have not been a CL team, Wenger is not a 'happy camper' in it, 2006 was an exception, and Wenger has historically optimised for the league. Arsenal's season is quickly unravelling, and I hope that Liverpool can do the business in the CL and knock them out.

I dont think Arsenal will win the league or the CL.

I expect Rafa will play a defensive team against Arsenal in the league, more so in terms of approach than they will play at Anfield in the CL. Masch wll return in the CL, and most likely partner Alonso. Arbeloa and Aurelio will also likely play in the CL. Leiva and perhaps Riise in the league, maybe even Crouch will get a start.

I'd say Rafa is aiming for:
    a draw (score draw if necessary or preferrable)
    a draw
    a win

I'd be happy with that too ....

Redspider

Jeez - you'd almost get the impression that Gillet & Hicks don't like each other or something
    Both Hicks and Gillett are planning on attending Liverpool's Champions League tie against Arsenal at The Emirates on Wednesday night, although the ECHO understands that both have requested not to be seated next to one another.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/03/31/it-s-time-to-sort-this-out-rick-parry-100252-20697027/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

spockety wrote: »
    Rafa always seems to do his more enlightening interviews with Guillem Ballague.. this one is no different..

Thanks for that one spockety, good interview.

> Jeez - you'd almost get the impression that Gillet & Hicks don't like each other or something

They dont, or were you being sarcastic?

Gillet has publicy stated that it is unworkable. Parry has publicly commented that Gillets statement is welcome as 'something' may now happen.

Redspider

• Advertisement

Its a kind of odd situation. If Rafa plays a reserve team in the league and lets Arsenal win, he creates a tougher choice for Wenger in the final game. In an odd way, it suits Liverpools CL charge to lose the league game :) Funny stuff :)

That said, playing 3 games against each other, I think its highly highly likely that each will lose at least one of those games.

redspider wrote: »
    They dont, or were you being sarcastic?

The later - am very much aware of their current situation and the mess that it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

PHB wrote: »

That said, playing 3 games against each other, I think its highly highly unlikely that each will lose at least one of those games.

:confused:

Is that a typo? highly likely that each will loose at least one imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

So, if Liverpool progress at the expense of Arsenal in the Champions League, and Arsenal also fail to win the league, do you think people will finally shut up in using how amazing Wenger is, as a tool to beat Rafa up with?

Yeh :) you got the gist though so I'm happy :P

So, if Liverpool progress at the expense of Arsenal in the Champions League, and Arsenal also fail to win the league, do you think people will finally shut up in using how amazing Wenger is, as a tool to beat Rafa up with?

No :) Because Wenger got where he was spending the net cost of Arbeloa :) Arsenal have challenge for the league this year, they might not win it, but they challenged.
    That said, to compare most managers to Wenger is unfair, he is just amazing in the transfer market with limited funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dont think he has a funding issue

hes just tight :D

seriously tho, he was pretty underhanded robbing fabregas

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

Cyrus wrote: »
    dont think he has a funding issue

hes just tight :D

seriously tho, he was pretty underhanded robbing fabregas

man u done it with pique. are they tight so as well? they just took advantage of the soccer laws in spain. :p

United also did it with Rossi, also with a few other new kids that Platini is particuarly annoyed about. Tight? Clever. Rossi cost United like 200k, kept him for 3 years, sold for 8 million, with clauses and such. Pique would go for that too. Pretty tidy profit. Fabregas would go for what, 30 million easily?
    I'm pretty sure Liverpool have just done it with some starlet, a couple infact from Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

****ing right! about time we started doing it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

this maybe the wrong place for it, but since he has been spoke about, i respect Wengers contribution to football.......but i ****ing hate him!!!!!!!!!!! no manager makes me wanna punch the screen more

congrats on winning your derby yesterday guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Yeh :) you got the gist though so I'm happy :P

As long as you're happy:D
    I wasn't doubting the words of a rival supporter on this forum, honest.;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Looking at the Grimbsy Town vs MK Dons match now and if mascherano got booked for crossing the pitch to the ref then half of the team should have been carded for the aftermath of the Peno decision there!!

as well as Carsley and Hibbert yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Looking at the Grimbsy Town vs MK Dons match now and if mascherano got booked for crossing the pitch to the ref then half of the team should have been carded for the aftermath of the Peno decision there!!

he wasnt booked for one incident, how is this not setting in in some peoples brains? He was booked for repeatedly harassing the ref at every opportunity, every opportunity...he was booked for being a twat, or repeated dissent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I'm pretty sure Liverpool have just done it with some starlet, a couple infact from Spain.

A few times alright. One was Gerardo Bruna. Real didn't have a sense of humour about it:D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2007/11/15/ufnliverpool115.xml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

question for ye lads:

a lot of ye go on about carra, how is one of the best centre halves in england, etc.

If this is the case, why does rafa play him at right back?
    is there an injury there, where are finnan and arbeloa?

funny i was just thinking myself yesterday with a fit agger and skyrtle would carra start?
    from what i'v seen skyrtle is a decent player and can pass(like sammi)
    carra at RB doesnt work for me coz he's useless wit the ball at feet...great CB position sense and would jump in front of a train to get to a ball but passing is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Aren't they coming back from injury or something? I know Finnan is but I can't remember about Arbeloa.

I think next season, Carragher will be slowly starting to play less games. I think against the really crap teams, i.e. whoever gets promoted :), you might see Carragher being dropped, and kept for the bigger games where Liverpool have more defensive problems. Two ball playing center halfs make a big difference in trying to break down crap teams, and Carragher as a pure defender isn't as much use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

and he's not getting any quicker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

and he's not getting any quicker...
    none of us are

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Finnan and Arbeloa were injured/carrying knocks; Carra is very capable at RB.

What's the issue?

Edit: Should have refreshed before replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    none of us are

:(

there there

got this from some smart @ss united fan, have to admit i did chuckle, he must be good if they are that jealous :D

The following is an extract from Fernando Torres upcoming autobiography.

"Flying into Manchester airport for the signing was one of the most exciting days of my career. The limo transferring me took a while longer to reach the ground than I expected but once there I was greeted by a sea of red. The chanting and atmosphere were brilliant and it all passed by in a blur.

Once inside the ground I was greeted by the manager, the first time we had met face to face. He was a lot heavier than I expected but spoke to me in good Spanish which made me feel most welcome. We went straight into a conference room for the official signing.

After I had put pen to paper the manager turned to me and said "Welcome to the biggest club in the World".

I said thank you and asked "When will I meet Wayne and Cristiano"?

There followed about ten minutes of confusion from which it transpired that there are two clubs in the North West of England known as the "Reds" and my idiot agent had got them mixed up.

However I had signed so had to get on with it. Benitez was known as the "Gaffer". I asked Stevie G (the only other player at the club who could control the ball) why this was.

He explained that in English "gaffe" is an embarrassing mistake. Apparently even the owners called Rafa "gaffer".

All I can do now is play really well and hope that Real, Barca or possibly Barnsley come and save me from my nightmare.

Some days after training I drive from Liverpool to Manchester and sit outside Old Trafford and dream of what might have been. I can sit there for hours.

Then Stevie will nudge me and say "Come on Nando, we have to go back".

We drive silently back to the gaffer.

Taken from "How did I get here?" by Fernando Torres.

late very late!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That should have it's own thread tbh.

mike65 wrote: »
    late very late!

Mike.

lol sorry, it was funny, even if some dirty manc penned it :D

its not that it aint funny Cyrus, just that its been put in here a few times in the last couple of weeks and had its own thread as well, bit of a tired aul gag, but you werent to know ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

2 Arsenal CL Tickets for €5 LAST CHANCE.

The winner of this Reverse Auction will be posted on www.IrishKop.com tomorrow around 14:00,this will give the winner a week to arrange travel.All the Money Raised is going to the Bob Paisley Memorial Fund.At this stage your only way of paying is by PayPal or if you can make in into a Permanent TSB bank.

For more info see here...

http://irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3201

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

since carra has got in to the liverpool side i haven't seen him have a worse season than this 1. his after giving away 3/4 peno's, his after losing some pace, his positioning is dodgy and playing him at right back is a joke.

Did very okay yesterday I thought with Skrtel covering for him now and again.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

DesF wrote: »
    That should have it's own thread tbh.

It did have and you even replied to it Des

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055249944&highlight=extract+from+torres+book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely with Carra being a top class centre half and Skertl being obviously quicker and more or a ball player that he would be better off playing Right full when needed and leave Carra in the middle, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Aquos76 wrote: »
    lol, the aul alzheimers again or else IB is on his acc again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Stekelly wrote: »
    Surely with Carra being a top class centre half and Skertl being obviously quicker and more or a ball player that he would be better off playing Right full when needed and leave Carra in the middle, no?

No, clearly we must not see it as a rational decision, instead we must make a huge deal out of this and use it as another Rafa-bashing stick. I'm surprised none of the papers have made up some shoite story like "CARRA'S FURY AT BEING PLAYED OUT OF POSITION" yet.

Also I'm pretty bleedin' sure DesF was being sarcastic lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Carragher has spent more time at RB than CB during his career. Hyypia & Skrtel were the best players on the pitch. I dont see what the problem is.

Tusky wrote: »
    Carragher has spent more time at RB than CB during his career. Hyypia & Skrtel were the best players on the pitch. I dont see what the problem is.

I'm not doubting that but I would just think that as playign out of position goes, I'd be quicker to shift Skertl than Carra personally. I dont think theres any arguement that Carra is the slower player and from what I've seen Skertl seems the better ball player, which seems the norm for an attackign full back nowadays.

I meant in general anyway, not just yesterdays match. THB I didnt see it anyway, I only got back from collecting a car in England around 11 last night.

PiE wrote: »

Also I'm pretty bleedin' sure DesF was being sarcastic lads.

?sarcastic about what? I havnt read anythign des has said on the subject. Funnily enough, I am capable of forming my own opinions. The above being one I cooked all by myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

How much did he cost?

Whenever we talk about the deal for Torres with Atlético Madrid we always include Luis GarcÍa in the price. The total cost of the operation is around £20 million.

Jesus lads, that sounds sweeter everytime I read it. How much of that £20m is the Garcia fee, £5m?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement