Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well the reported fee at the time was 26.5 or something million, so I'd imagine he cost that, and then Garcia was worth 6.5 which seems to be pretty fair. As such, if you were trying to track it, Torres cost 26.5 million, but Liverpool sold Garcia for 6.5, so the net spend was 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Stekelly wrote: »
    ?sarcastic about what? I havnt read anythign des has said on the subject. Funnily enough, I am capable of forming my own opinions. The above being one I cooked all by myself.

A.) Sarcastic about suggesting the Torres joke have its own thread.

B.) Um, my previous post was agreeing with you; the second part of the post was unrelated to the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

event wrote: »
    question for ye lads:

a lot of ye go on about carra, how is one of the best centre halves in england, etc.

If this is the case, why does rafa play him at right back?
    is there an injury there, where are finnan and arbeloa?

Arbeloa and Finnan aren't fully fit afaik, i.e. both seem to have had niggling injuries all season..

Skrtel and Carragher are far too similar types of player. I think that was evident in the United match - the pair were a liability. Hypia and Skrtel have qualities that complement each other.

Then consider the fact that Skrtel is only settling in to the team. Who better to have playing beside him in right back than Carra? Even if Arbeloa and Finnan are fit enough, playing Carra there provides sufficient cover while also allowing Skrtel to get up to speed a lot lot quicker.

Fast forward to next season, Skrtel should be sufficiently familiar with how the team works and the pace of the PL. With Agger coming back as well, it leaves us with pretty good options in the centre of defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PiE wrote: »
    A.)
    B.) Um, my previous post was agreeing with you; the second part of the post was unrelated to the first.

Fair play. I asumed it was all the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

PHB wrote: »
    Well the reported fee at the time was 26.5 or something million, so I'd imagine he cost that, and then Garcia was worth 6.5 which seems to be pretty fair. As such, if you were trying to track it, Torres cost 26.5 million, but Liverpool sold Garcia for 6.5, so the net spend was 20.

Aye, I was looking at it from a different angle, still a good deal tho' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This is what really happened at the United game last Sunday week.

http://i30.tinypic.com/294lzys.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

OMG that has to be the funniest things i have ever seen, yo legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

'kin hell! That clip is like a bad penny!! How many more times??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

BaZmO* wrote: »

Sorry if its old, just seen it today, thought it was good and though I'd share. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

That must be the 5th time that damn clip has been posted here.
    It wasnt funny the first time, it definitely isnt funny now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

What were the "disrespectful chants" aimed at gerrard about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd say about as many times as the Torres joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB-posting of either should be a banning i reckon! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

RustySpoon wrote: »
    What were the "disrespectful chants" aimed at gerrard about?

Was there myself, sat in the main stand down near all the Evertonians. Their chanting was disgraceful. They slagged Gerrard about his baby not being his, sang a song about Michael Shields, and about Hillsboro. Really was despicable.

So who are the three new players lined up? Can hardly be anyone big or there would have been rumblings.

true Zapp, Hillsborough, Michael Shields and Heysel creeping into their reportoire has put an end to the friendly derby altogether, the gerrard songs aint the nicest, but they aint that bad tbh.

Ah yeah the Gerrard one didn't phase Stevie, but the other ones were totally uncalled for. Still they shut up fairly fast when Nando put one in the Kop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

IrishMike wrote: »
    That must be the 5th time that damn clip has been posted here.
    It wasnt funny the first time, it definitely isnt funny now.

I laughed.

rumour has it Gerrard had a t-shirt on underneath his jersey with pics of his kids on it and "I'm the daddy" on it, ready to unvail if he scored.

i'd imagine its bull****, but wouldve been hilarious! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

From watching the game on TV, the abuse Gerrard got when taking the corner was probably equal to the abuse Neville got when taking a throw in.

zAbbo wrote: »
    From watching the game on TV, the abuse Gerrard got when taking the corner was probably equal to the abuse Neville got when taking a throw in.

exactly. par for the course for these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

City of Culture :pac:

Mike.

Capital of Culture Mike ;)

even better!

Weird thing was the banter outside the grounds was all in good fun. No trouble or anything, but once they massed together it all turned rather sour.
    Still the song at the end made it all better "The city is ours..."

they know it is, thats wat drives them mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It is funny. From what I could see, Neville is the only Everton player getting any sort of abuse at all. Not even Bails got abuse and he is a local lad. Everton supporters were giving Gerard a major going over for being a Liverpool player and local lads. Pool supporters were given Neville abuse for his time at ManU.. The 'Friendly Derby' it may be but it is far from the the most important match to Liverpool supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

RE Title of Thread

Who is the April Fooler?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Brilliant - I got mad confused.
    I wonder how many fantatics will come in Bitching about "rararara get out of our thread ya dirty....."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Brilliant - I got mad confused.
    I wonder how many fantatics will come in Bitching about "rararara get out of our thread ya dirty....."
    I was going to til i saw this....
    dbnavan wrote: »
    RE Title of Thread

Who is the April Fooler?
    phew....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

couldnt have been more confused! good work whoever did it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ha Ha Ha. Brilliant.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

EDIT: My head hurts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

It is funny. From what I could see, Neville is the only Everton player getting any sort of abuse at all. Not even Bails got abuse and he is a local lad. Everton supporters were giving Gerard a major going over for being a Liverpool player and local lads. Pool supporters were given Neville abuse for his time at ManU.. The 'Friendly Derby' it may be but it is far from the the most important match to Liverpool supporters.

Lescott got some terrible abuse too.

The Gerard song is wrong I will admit I laughed when I heard it but the only person to be really effected by this song is the child. The song should be stopped IMHO.

Listening to BBC radio this morning they were saying that Neville was spat on and punched when he went to take a throw in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

~What's the song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2008/mar/30/N159354080330-0955.htm
    "We have agreements with two young players and one senior player who will be a starting XI player. That deal is already done," he said.

No one in the press seems to have picked up on this, there is zero speculation. Who could it be?

Lescott got abuse about being ugly, not nice at all tbh considering the cause the of his disfigurement. I'd equate the songs about him being the equivolent to the Gerrard songs about his kid....not nice, but part and parcel really, not a big deal. Lescott didnt seem to care, went up to the kop and applauded it after the match iirc.

As for the Neville being spat at and punched? doubt it, he got a push in the back or some such when went over to collect a ball for a throw in, no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

can we change the thread name back, i feel dirty :p

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    As for the Neville being spat at and punched? doubt it, he got a push in the back or some such when went over to collect a ball for a throw in, no big deal.
    Why do you find it so hard to believe that some fans (in particular Liverpool fans) could act in such a way? First you're defending death threats and now this?

Every group of fans has a knacker element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Lescott got abuse about being ugly, not nice at all tbh considering the cause the of his disfigurement. I'd equate the songs about him beign the equivolent to the Gerrard songs about his kid....not really a big deal. Lescott didnt seem to care, went up to the kop and applauded it after the match iirc.

Question is, how far does fans-trying-to-help-their-team go? Pushing opposition players in the back? Abusive songs designed to enrage and demean opposition players? Merely cheering their own players on?

Just because they're "not that bad" or "no big deal" doesn't mean that it should happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Apparently it is Rafina, the brazillian right back - think he plays for Schalke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Found a link to the story about Neville.....

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2269902,00.html

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Found a link to the story about Neville.....

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2269902,00.html
    Hey, "no big deal" obviously the Guardian are just out to get Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Why do you find it so hard to believe that some fans (in particular Liverpool fans) could act in such a way? First you're defending death threats and now this?

Every group of fans has a knacker element.

where have i said i dont think liverpool have a knacker element?

of course they do. I'm simply pointing out that i dont think Neville was "punched" and "spat at", maybe he was, but its more likely someone pushed him in the back as was actually shown on TV during the match??!

I never defended death threats. i'm not even going down that road with you. you can argue with yourself over that if needs be.
    NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Question is, how far does fans-trying-to-help-their-team go? Pushing opposition players in the back? Abusive songs designed to enrage and demean opposition players? Merely cheering their own players on?

Just because they're "not that bad" or "no big deal" doesn't mean that it should happen.

pushing in the back is too far. songs slagging someone about being ugly,inbred etc are ok in my book and part and parcel of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hope PHB knows which bits to put back, where.

Mike.

no they are not "out to get" liverpool.

Rafa said that he was not happy about the subject of the songs about stevie, and questioned Evertons away support.

Everton subsequently said...well, Neville was punched and spat at, and have asked the police to look into it.

The Guardian are reporting on wats happening is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

dbnavan wrote: »
    RE Title of Thread

Who is the April Fooler?
    Ha ha, got me confused when I checked my e-mail this morning. It feels kind of dirty posting in the thread :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

If a player 'just pushes' another in the back he's likely to be sent off. Fans doing it shouldn't be seen any different. The club should be fined for their fans behaviour.
    Liverpool fans were atrocious during the Derby. There are countless times we can hear chants of abuse from opposing fans during matches but the way they were getting at Neville when he was right beside them was disgusting. And the way they through the ball along the boarding to one another refusing to give the ball to the Everton player so he could take a throw should get punishment in my eyes. If a player blatantly wastes time he gets booked. Fans doing it should result in the club getting smacked for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

pushing in the back is too far. songs slagging someone about being ugly,inbred etc are ok in my book and part and parcel of football.

I see.

This is why soccer fans get a bad rep. Just because something is part and parcel of the game, doesn't mean it should be. I'm sure Neville's big enough to take it, most players are - I hope I would be if I was paid as much as them. But that doesn't mean they should have to sit there and just take it.

And the worst part is, fans who sing these kind of songs were probably the same ones who were up in arms when Neville ran down to them and kissed his badge in front of them when United scored against Liverpool. They'd at least get some kind of ... not quite respect, but something if they could at least take it when someone has a go back at them.

If a player 'just pushes' another in the back he's likely to be sent off. Fans doing it shouldn't be seen any different. The club should be fined for their fans behaviour.

Fining them for a one off minor incident would be pretty harsh. Pretty sure if that happened week in week out, the club would be in trouble, thankfully, it doesnt.
    Liverpool fans were atrocious during the Derby.
    There are countless times we can hear chants of abuse from opposing fans during matches but the way they were getting at Neville when he was right beside them was disgusting.

Is there a reason you choose to ignore Gerrard getting similar abuse when taking a corner by the away fans? Its part and parcel of the game to abuse rival players.
    And the way they through the ball along the boarding to one another refusing to give the ball to the Everton player so he could take a throw should get punishment in my eyes. If a player blatantly wastes time he gets booked. Fans doing it should result in the club getting smacked for it.

Again, if it happened week in week out, i'm sure the club would be hit, but it doesnt. and it was actually the same young lad who threw the ball away twice, and the stewards tried to throw him out after the incident, but his aul fella kicked up a stink and they let him stay.

actually, a bit of checking reveals that evertons PR officer is Mr Ian Ross, who was a journalist for......

wait for it......

..................you guessed it! The Guardian! ;)

fans who sing these kind of songs were probably the same ones who were up in arms when Neville ran down to them and kissed his badge in front of them when United scored against Liverpool. They'd at least get some kind of ... not quite respect, but something if they could at least take it when someone has a go back at them.

actually, most fans i'd talk to, Liverpool fans, and myself, thought that it was a joke that Neville got done for that. Nothing wrong with a bit of passion. Wish our stevie had a bit more of it sometimes!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Fining them for a one off minor incident would be pretty harsh. Pretty sure if that happened week in week out, the club would be in trouble, thankfully, it doesnt.

Is there a reason you choose to ignore Gerrard getting similar abuse when taking a corner by the away fans? Its part and parcel of the game to abuse rival players.

Again, if it happened week in week out, i'm sure the club would be hit, but it doesnt. and it was actually the same young lad who threw the ball away twice, and the stewards tried to throw him out after the incident, but his aul fella kicked up a stink and they let him stay.
    I honestly didn't hear them do anything to Gerard. If they did fair enough. But they were extremely aggressive to Neville and the fact they were so close along with their behaviour is why I think it was so bad.
    Saying it's only a once off isn't much of an excuse for me. That's trying to dismiss it as trivial and because it only happened once let it go. But if something 'worse' happened involving the fans we shouldn't let that go? Don't see a distinction really

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement