Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

dc69 wrote: »
    very true,beny is a good player i think and would work well as a wide striker,thus taking kuyts position.

If only Rafa read this thread and took our advice:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

team named

Reina
    Aurelio
    Hyypia
    Skrtel
    Carragher
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Kuyt
    Torres

Subs:

Itandje
    Riise
    Voronin
    Benayoun
    Crouch
    Arbeloa
    Lucas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

no surprises in the team there, can't wait for this game now, what the champions league is all about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

arbeloa?Hyypia has no pace,I think they can expose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

the key will be Masherano and Alonso, if they can stifle Arsenal's play, which focuses mostly on passing in and around the penalty box, I can't see Arsenal scoring - unless from a flukey last-minute penalty-that-never-was...as they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Not surprised to see Carra pushed out to RB as Skrtel and Hyppia looked very good together on sunday. Here's hoping we can expose Arsenal's RB with Babel and get a nice away goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It'll be interesting to see how Torres gets on too, a lot of interesting battles - should be a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

More nonsense about Liverpool only getting goals from Torres+Gerrard from the RTE boys :(

Completly igoring the stats I've seen on here that suggest that United are more reliant on Rooney+Ronaldo for goals than our top pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The-Rigger wrote: »
    More nonsense about Liverpool only getting goals from Torres+Gerrard from the RTE boys :(

Completly igoring the stats I've seen on here that suggest that United are more reliant on Rooney+Ronaldo for goals than our top pair.

I dont watch RTE anymore for Liverpool games. Find it too frustrating. Thats what our tax is going towards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

sure english football is still apparantly shoite according to rte. :rolleyes:
    they enjoy speaking out their a$$... but id still watch them over ITV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Gerrard and Alsonso both getting caught, they need to concentrate. Was hoping for more of a tempo from Liverpool early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jaysis lads, yis are running out of places to watch Liverpool matches. First Sky was against yis and now RTE?

Persecution Complex anybody?

wOOt wOOT \o/

Jaysis lads, yis are running out of places to watch Liverpool matches. First Sky was against yis and now RTE?

:rolleyes:

BaZmO* wrote: »

nah sky is fine for pool imo. its just tacky if ya get me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Get Freakin In.

Jazzy wrote: »
    nah sky is fine for pool imo. its just tacky if ya get me
    I thought Andy Gray was the Devil incarnate when it came to Liverpool?

:rolleyes:
    A :rolleyes: and a pop at how a name is spelt? Is that the best you can do? F-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Not everyone can be the all round contributor that you are BaZmO*

Your comments are all what people have said on this thread, instead of anything worthwhile

A :rolleyes: and a pop at how a name is spelt? Is that the best you can do? F-

Have you had a bad day or something Baz?
    Are you aligning yourself with all the jibberish spouted by the RTE panel?

I still watch them, at least the offer an opinion, even if it is plain silly at times.

I thought Andy Gray was the Devil incarnate when it came to Liverpool?

nah, Dunphy is. Gray is alright towards pool imo.

• Advertisement

I dont think the RTE pundits are against Liverpool. I find them overly negative about almost every team. They focus on the negatives and dont talk about the positives. Too much doom & gloom for me.

Happy with the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I wonder who liam brady supports:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Gray is terrible, his reaction to Bendner blocking Fabregas's shot was "What on earth is going through his head?!". It was an accident, you tool.

Voronin ftw :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Voronin ftw :p

I bet wenger is scared now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

going to be a tiring 3 matches - for everyone involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Happy with the result .. 2nd half was a bit drab .. but good to go to the Emirates and come away with an away goal. Hopefully we can go one better on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    going to be a tiring 3 matches - for everyone involved

Im wrecked lol, Kuyt played exceptionally well imo, besides the goal his tracking back was immense, overall work-rate was exceptional and he gave it his all and deserved his goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll be utterly shocked, I mean shocked, if any of Alonso, Carragher, Torres or Gerrard play against Arsenal in the league. They have a 5 point cushion on Everton, drop the 3 points, or play an extremely defensive team and try and frustrate the **** out of Arsenal for a draw.

PHB wrote: »
    I'll be utterly shocked, I mean shocked, if any of Alonso, Carragher, Torres or Gerrard play against Arsenal in the league. They have a 5 point cushion on Everton, drop the 3 points, or play an extremely defensive team and try and frustrate the **** out of Arsenal for a draw.

Aye. Arsenal looked tired tonight and they obviously still feel they have a chance at the league so will field a strong team. I would not blame Rafa in resting key players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PHB is bang on, Lucas, Crouch, Riise, Arbeloa and Yossi will all be starting that game.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Good result for us. Arsenal were well on top in the 2nd half. Should be a very exciting return leg
    I hope Rafa rests Torres and co. on Saturday. I'd like to see

Babel Lucas Alonso Pennant
    Crouch Voronin
    or even one or two of the young lads. Both teams looked very tired there at the final whistle.

Crouch

Voronin
    Benny--Masch--Lucas--Pennant

Riise
    Skrtel--Carra----Arbeloa

Reina

Thats the team Id like to see. Masch should be fine as he missed the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Isn't Mascherano suspended?

Thing about Arsenal now, is they have to go for it on Wednesday, but even if they do, they'll be wrecked for the Anfield leg. Then even if they push through that, and win, they'll be absolutely exhausted for the United game afterwards, so they'd probably lose the league anyway.

Wenger might consider resting players this weekend too, especially since he knows Rafa is going to. If they win, fine, they are still in with a shout, but I think
    the fact that Abebayour didn't start against Bolton shows you that Wenger thinks the league could be beyond them.

p.s. Did anyone notice how careful Gerrard was not to put in any tackles in the game, he's obviously very worried about not getting booked, but it'd be amazing if he didn't get booked in this game, or in the Chelsea/Fenerbache game.

• Advertisement

Thing about Arsenal now, is they have to go for it on Wednesday, but even if they do, they'll be wrecked for the Anfield leg. Then even if they push through that, and win, they'll be absolutely exhausted for the United game afterwards, so they'd probably lose the league anyway.

Wenger might consider resting players this weekend too, especially since he knows Rafa is going to. If they win, fine, they are still in with a shout, but I think
    the fact that Abebayour didn't start against Wigan shows you that Wenger thinks the league could be beyond them.

p.s. Did anyone notice how careful Gerrard was not to put in any tackles in the game, he's obviously very worried about not getting booked, but it'd be amazing if he didn't get booked in this game, or in the Chelsea/Fenerbache game.

Doubt that will happen.

1 Man. Utd. 32 24 4 4 68 15 53 76
    2 Chelsea 32 21 8 3 56 23 33 71
    3 Arsenal 32 20 10 2 62 26 36 70

If Arsenal beat Liverpool and Man u lose, the gap is only 3 points with the two teams still to play each other in the league. I think we will see a strong team on Saturday.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wenger will rest players but keep his big guns on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

the fact that Abebayour didn't start against Bolton shows you that Wenger thinks the league could be beyond them.

Didn't hear the result of Masch's disciplinary hearing.

I think Wenger wants to win the CL more than the EPL, he's never won it. In fact I think all the top 3 managers would rather win the CL. Ironically I'd say Liverpool are the only club who'd rather win the EPL.

I don't think Gerrard would mind getting booked next week and potentially missing the 1st leg of the semis. Don't think he could sit through a crucial European night at Anfield though.

Happy with the result. Ref was shocking though.

Kuyt again worked his arse off and helped us secure the draw. What was Voronin doing getting on though!?

Anyone else think the next two games will be draws? I see 0-0 all on both days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Voronin was simply there to help run the clock down.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Aren't yellow cards wiped after this round or did I dream that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Good result \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It would be a help if they were.

I was surprised Voronin came on too. Id like to see Torres rested on Sat and give Crouch a run. He knows how to score against Arsenal.

PiE wrote: »
    Aren't yellow cards wiped after this round or did I dream that.

Don't think so. Aren't they wiped after the group stages and that's it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Don't think so. Aren't they wiped after the group stages and that's it?

From Uefa.com

b) from the first match in the group stage, after three cautions in three
    different matches, as well as following any subsequent odd-numbered
    caution (fifth, seventh, ninth, etc.).
    21.03 Single yellow cards and pending suspensions are always carried forward
    either to the next stage of the competition or to another club competition in
    the current season.

So Gerrard etc has the risk of suspension for the rest of the campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

This rotation thing is great eh,keeps you really fit and prepared for the big games.Must be pure coincedence that pool under rafa always have a good end of season because i have never seen anything good or written about rotation helping that fact.
    Whats the story with pundits picking up on zonal defence when liverpool concede a goal,have we not got another record amount of clean sheets again this season?again must not have anything to do with rafa's tactics.

All im hearing is if only Arsenal had a bigger squad they could do better,well tough cookie.Wenger has had a rumored 70mill to spend and kept it all in bis pocket because he knew best.If they end up a third season running with no trophies can we plaese end the talk of their beautiful football,last time i checked football's main aim was winning.

Good first half,held on well in the 2nd and commitment was again 2nd to none.Hopefully an early goal will setltle it at anfield next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Good result, well deserved, think Arsenal missed sagna alot more than I for one thought they would. Offers a lot going forward as well as defensively, think we had a very easy time on the wings myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The 5 point gap is likely to be back to 2 if Liverpool are beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Can someone tell me whether it's 'Pepe' or 'Jose' Reina (or if Pepe = Jose)? I keep seeing both and it's beginning to wreck my head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

His name is José Manuel Reina Páez.

Pepe is a Spanish nickname for Jose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement