Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

PHB wrote:
    Personally I think Mascherano or Sissoko might do better, probably the latter.
    You're taking the piss right? If we're gonna let Momo tackle/pass/be in our own penalty box we may as well bring Djimi Traore back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

^^what he said, sissoko has been seriously dodgy of late, maybe give Jack Hobbs a run against bermingham see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

was thinking the exact same about Hobbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

He was on the bench at portsmouth so raffa must have plans for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

What channel is LFC TV on NTL?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Apparantly it is not starting til 6pm this evening? Can anyone near their ntl confirm if the channel is listed or not yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Nope, still not listed. Yeah I hope Hobbs gets a run out as he's supposed to be a very good prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Against Brum or in the carling cup i wouldnt mind seeing Arbeloa given a shot at CB so we know for th tougher games if he's up to it. We already know what we'll get from Hypia. Glad Aurelio is back anyway, saves us having to play Riise much. Had enough of his lack of passing/poor link up play with winger/shooting from Everywhere.

Masch and Gerrard for the foreseeable future so, hopefully they can up their game from midweek!

Fantasy Rafa gets a little easier anyway..

Wouldnt mind seeing something of Lucas in the PL tbh, even if only off the bench

No sign of LFC TV...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well I am watching it. ANd the dubbing is all off, am about to write an email and complain to them. They are asking to have it on the website so might just say on the forum.

I'm on NTL and I've not got it on my EPG yet.

Am on sky.

Am on sky.
    Posh bastid! :p

Meh the lineup tonight doesn't seem incredible (except for the chat show with Molby!) Come on NTL sort it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is'nt it a pity about Chelsea?

No?

Okay!

It is a pity about Agger, we knew this would happen, first Carra then the Dane, I guess Hyypia is next. I think Arbeloa could do the job, he a pretty calm figure and can play the ball about. I'd sooner leave Hobbs for the League Cup and blend him in from there. Alonso I'm not too worried about tbh, more than enough options. Lucas may get a bit more time which would be exellent.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

It's NTL - you hardly expect it to be there within the next couple of weeks ?

Notice the dubbing was out of sync alright in the few mins I was watching it earlier.

Was watching a bit about the new stadium- they were saying the empty corners & all the glass in other parts were a feature to link the park to the inside of the stadium and vice versa - certainly didn't get the impression that they were there for infilling as soon as possible.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not been impressed with the picture quality during the highlights so far, all the wide shots have noticeable aliasing around the players. Looks like they haven't got the bandwidth quite right yet. A bit dissapointed, when the trial channel was up it was varying a fair bit but they look to have underdone it..

Go on Rafa!!! Put him in his place!!!! :)

Rafael Benitez has hit back at Sam Allardyce after his ludicrous claims that the Liverpool manager is lucky to still have a job.
    Speaking in Zoo Magazine, the Newcastle boss insisted Benitez would have lost his job by now for his failure to win the Premier League had he not guided the Reds to two Champions League finals.

But Benitez has hit back and told Allardyce to mind his own business and concentrate on his own club.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I want to say two things. Firstly, I think he should be more worried about his own business because he must have more problems than to waste time talking about other managers.

"Secondly, has he forgotten Liverpool winning the Super Cup, FA Cup and Champions League as well as reaching another Champions League final, a Carling Cup final and twice finishing third in the Premier League? Maybe he doesn't have a great memory."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

meh, would have rathered he replied with winning the premiership. dont like to see rafa talk the smack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

el rabitos wrote:
    meh, would have rathered he replied with winning the premiership. dont like to see rafa talk the smack.

He didn't talk smack, he stated fact.

It's an incredibly idiotic thing to say from Sam 'if he hadn't gotten to 2 champions league finals....'

...but he did, you fúcking lemon!

in fairness i wouldnt call that 'talking the smack', all he did was respond to wat aldyrdyce said, and he was dead right to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

Rafa's the man! i love to see managers stick up for themself and their team! especially when he's just stating facts!!

The-Rigger wrote:
    He didn't talk smack, he stated fact.

It's an incredibly idiotic thing to say from Sam 'if he hadn't gotten to 2 champions league finals....'

...but he did, you fúcking lemon!

well excuse me. i'd rather he didnt talk fact. the fact is he hasnt won the premiership, and i want liverpool to win it. that would be my ideal response to sam. anything else is just talk, i prefere that to be left to other managers and teams tbh.

also beating newcastle home and away en route would help.

like wat managers? Jose? Ferguson?

think Rafa has realised that it might help in winning the league if builds up a "us, against them" mentality, no more mister nice guy, if you will . . . i would have a problem if he started having a go at people for no reason, or talking crap, but if someone has a shot at him like big sam-then he is dead right to respond to that.

like wat managers? Jose? Ferguson?

think Rafa has realised that it might help in winning the league if builds up a "us, against them" mentality, no more mister nice guy, if you will . . . i would have a problem if he started having a go at people for no reason, or talking crap, but if someone has a shot at him like big sam-then he is dead right to respond to that.

if you think so. i prefere to be the team that wins everything, not the team that talks about it.

• Advertisement

well winning things takes time, we are already one of the top teams in Europe.
    looking better in the league. excellent in cups.

so as well as having a manager who has a bit of class about him (which he does) i also like the idea of a manager who wont let people bad mouth and insult him in the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Apparently LFC TV on NTL not available till Saturday, 22nd.

Cheers Kanney

On Rafa, I assume he didnt just release this statement, its much more likely that in an interview situation, the interviewer said "what do you make of Big Sams comments that you would have been fired if you hadnt won the champs league and that you'll never win the league because your a foreigner?" Rafas response is effectively "a) why is he worrying about my team and b) we DID win the champions league, Fa cup, several finals etc etc so its irrelevent".

Thought what he said was probably fair enough. Sometimes its hard to remember that when we read these things in print that that isnt where they started. For example a lot of the stuff Roy Keane comes out with looks terrible in print, but when you see the interview afterwards on tv or whatever most of it comes across much better. I think any manager or players quotes should be taken informally unless its part of a proper press release or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Masch and Gerrard for the foreseeable future so, hopefully they can up their game from midweek!

Fantasy Rafa gets a little easier anyway..
    Sissoko will still get games.

I hope he goes for Gerrard-Mascho v Brum and Momo-Lucas v Reading, but I wouldnt at all be surprised if he switched Masch and Momo around. Interesting that Lucas was not invovled with the reserves this week, so that would suggest he may well be on the bench v Brum.

I'm utterly convinced that despite what the English media contstantly bleats, when we play against good European sides and against the best teams in England, Gerrard should be out wide, with Mascherano and Alonso in the middle.

Agger's a big loss. I'd say it'll be Carra and Sami in situ for Brum, with Arbeloa and Hobbs coming in for Reading. I wonder will he give Aurelio a go at left back v Birmingham or wait until the Reading game? I think Babel is certain to start on the wing v Brum, but dunno whether it'll be Benayoun, Riise or Aurelio on the other side. I'm hoping its Yossi. Up front, its certain that Torres will start v Brum and Crouch v Reading. Be interesting to see which of the games Kuyt and Voronin start, as presumably they'll get one start each.

Given the size of our squad we may not see that many youngsters starting v Reading. Hobbs should at CB, and I think Darby will at right back. Lucas and Leto (LFC.TV raving about his performance for the reserves, though I take that with a pinch of salt) to start for certain. Perhaps El Zhar or Putterill on the right (tho it will definitely be Yossi if he doesnt start v Birmingham). Lindfield will be on the bench I'd say, and hopefully he'll get a run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Kanney wrote:
    Apparently LFC TV on NTL not available till Saturday, 22nd.

taking over ranger tv on channel 415

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Sissoko will still get games.

I hope he goes for Gerrard-Mascho v Brum and Momo-Lucas v Reading, but I wouldnt at all be surprised if he switched Masch and Momo around. Interesting that Lucas was not invovled with the reserves this week, so that would suggest he may well be on the bench v Brum.

I'm utterly convinced that despite what the English media contstantly bleats, when we play against good European sides and against the best teams in England, Gerrard should be out wide, with Mascherano and Alonso in the middle.

Agger's a big loss. I'd say it'll be Carra and Sami in situ for Brum, with Arbeloa and Hobbs coming in for Reading. I wonder will he give Aurelio a go at left back v Birmingham or wait until the Reading game? I think Babel is certain to start on the wing v Brum, but dunno whether it'll be Benayoun, Riise or Aurelio on the other side. I'm hoping its Yossi. Up front, its certain that Torres will start v Brum and Crouch v Reading. Be interesting to see which of the games Kuyt and Voronin start, as presumably they'll get one start each.

Given the size of our squad we may not see that many youngsters starting v Reading. Hobbs should at CB, and I think Darby will at right back. Lucas and Leto (LFC.TV raving about his performance for the reserves, though I take that with a pinch of salt) to start for certain. Perhaps El Zhar or Putterill on the right (tho it will definitely be Yossi if he doesnt start v Birmingham). Lindfield will be on the bench I'd say, and hopefully he'll get a run.

I hope not. You're more or less suggesting we send the reserves out to play Reading? Thats exactly the attitude that ruins our chances of winning leagues and cups. We have a first team taking home big wages, why not make them earn it? Reading wont be a stroll in the park. Admittedly they've had a poor start after the Man U game but they're still a threat and we cant be taking them or away games for granted. Agger is a big loss but I'd reckon the back 4 wont stray too far from

Finnan Carra Hyppia/Arbeloa Aurelio/Arbeloa

depending on whether Sami plays or not.

I hope not. You're more or less suggesting we send the reserves out to play Reading? Thats exactly the attitude that ruins our chances of winning leagues and cups. We have a first team taking home big wages, why not make them earn it? Reading wont be a stroll in the park. Admittedly they've had a poor start after the Man U game but they're still a threat and we cant be taking them or away games for granted. Agger is a big loss but I'd reckon the back 4 wont stray too far from

Finnan Carra Hyppia/Arbeloa Aurelio/Arbeloa

depending on whether Sami plays or not.

For the Reading game he'll most likely put out a mix of experienced players & youth/reserves. We've a lot of up & coming players who need to get experience under their belt if they are ever going to step up to the 1st team and these are the perfect games for that. Reading will most likely adapt a similar approach to the game.

Insua would be another strong possibility for that game.

One other player I'd like to see get a chance this season is Astrit Ajdarevic - from what I've seen of him so far he looks very promising. Doubt if he'll feature on Tues though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

As the Reading game is the Carling Cup it's the ideal time to give the 'reserves' a run out. Has to be done sometime so better its done in the competition i'd assume is bottom of Rafa's priority list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think Lucas is a potential starter. Judging by his performace when he came on vs Toulouse he is a snappy passer, something we have been missing, especially as Alonso's passing has seemingly deteriorated in recent times.

I still think Gerrard / Mascherano is the best and most balanced combination, but I really want to see Lucas getting more time on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I hope not. You're more or less suggesting we send the reserves out to play Reading? Thats exactly the attitude that ruins our chances of winning leagues and cups. We have a first team taking home big wages, why not make them earn it? Reading wont be a stroll in the park. Admittedly they've had a poor start after the Man U game but they're still a threat and we cant be taking them or away games for granted.

There's a huge difference between what would be regarded as our reserve team and our second eleven. IMO it would be ridiulous to play our first team in the league cup. Our second eleven should play. Guys who are on the verge of the first team, and guys who would be called in if we got injuries. Guys like Hobbs and Darby are only one or two injuries away from being required for Premiership or Champions League games - this is a great opportunity to play them - rather than having to throw them straight in from the deep end. Ideal game to give Aurelio 90 minutes, ideal game to see if Arbeloa is any good at CB, ideal to give Lucas and Leto starts, ideal to see what Itandje is like in nets, ideal to give Crouch 90 minutes so he won't be too upset at not getting a look in between now and the next international break in mid October.

In any event, whether we like it or not, Rafa will play a largely second eleven - as will Coppell if he continues the strategy he used last year.

Good chance for Harry! :D

Team for Brum

Reina
    Finnan-Carragher-Hyypia-Arbeloa
    Pennant-Gerrard-Mascherano-Babel
    Torres-Kuyt

Bet he picks Sissoko now.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Good chance for Harry! :D

Ah come on now mike - it's not the final is it :p

Plenty of time in the Carling cup for Harry to make a comeback, play superbly and score the winner in the CL final.

Garcia scored a brace in the UEFA cup! Go on Luis!

• Advertisement

Good man, pity he went.

Mike.

Team for today;

The Liverpool team in full is: Reina, Arbeloa, Riise, Hyypia, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Babel, Pennant, Kuyt, Voronin. Subs: Itandje, Finnan, Sissoko, Crouch, Torres.

No Torres is a bit odd, as I assume he won't play in the carling cup midweek either..Good team though, Id prefer not to have Riise but not the worst, though i do expect this to be to the detriment of Babels input in the game.

Should be more then enough to win this game comfortably though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

anyone got a decent live stream link

Finnan is out to to his injury again I take it. Decent team they need to press Brum back from the off, hopefully Pennant will have the hex over his last club.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Very surprised Torres isnt starting. Thats 2 of the last 3 games he has started on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Is this on tv anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Would definitely have liked to see Torres starting but I'm glad it's Voronin and not Crouch.

FantasyRafa just gets tougher and tougher. Topped the league for the first time though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

FantasyRafa just gets tougher and tougher. Topped the league for the first time though :)
    I gave up on that after the first few games. Even when I threw in a few wild cards and they came off I'd still lose out in other areas. Fantasy rafa is about as scientific as doing a lucky dip with a blind fold.

Got 9 today so happy enough. Liverpool don't sound like they are pressing enough.

Mike.

• Advertisement

clown bag wrote:
    anyone got a decent live stream link

http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/sat22.9/Liverpool_Birmingham.html

we're still not causing the opposition any real problems..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement