Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Bang on! Ramos will be trying to palm Lennon off to the likes of Sunderland come the summer.

I think maybe save Crouch for the 2nd leg. Wenger wouldn't be expecting it, and it might unsettle the Arsenal at Fortress Anfield.

Both Voronin's style of play and appearance are clownish.

Surely Rafa wont be changing his formation for the second leg, which would mean driopping for Torres for Crouch? No chance in the CL, maybe on saturday but doubtful as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Balague does talk sh##e at times but is very close to Rafa and if they are saying a deal is done then we can but be hopeful its a decent player.Personally i think Bentley,Young or the like would all be better than our present options,but wouldnt all these coast a fortune?
    What kind of money would we get for Crouch,Riise and Carson at the moment.

Talking of the times writers did anyone hear Marcotti and Claridge on the bbc5live after the england game,hilarious.Talk about clash of footballing cultures,Claridge was so closed minded to only playing 4-4-2- he made Andy Gray seem continental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

raven136 wrote: »
    Balague does talk sh##e at times but is very close to Rafa and if they are saying a deal is done then we can but be hopeful its a decent player.Personally i think Bentley,Young or the like would all be better than our present options,but wouldnt all these coast a fortune?
    What kind of money would we get for Crouch,Riise and Carson at the moment.

Talking of the times writers did anyone hear Marcotti and Claridge on the bbc5live after the england game,hilarious.Talk about clash of footballing cultures,Claridge was so closed minded to only playing 4-4-2- he made Andy Gray seem continental

Rumor going around that its Pennant + 8m for Bentley. I havent seen enough of Bentley to be excited or disappointed. From what Ive seen hes looked good...but not excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Tusky wrote: »
    Rumor going around that its Pennant + 8m for Bentley. I havent seen enough of Bentley to be excited or disappointed. From what Ive seen hes looked good...but not excellent.

Even with my low regard for Pennant that looks like a pretty sh1t deal for us.

Would love to see us get DeRossi from Roma to play beside Mascher, but it's not a priority position so never going to happen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

raven136 wrote: »
    B

Those two are impossible to listen to - they are so far apart they just rub each other run the wrong way. I like Claridge but he is very very old school for man in his early 40s.

Mike.

I'd be happy with that,we are talking about 14m for Bentley and seems as a)he is english and b)groomed to take over from Beckham then he is always going to be more expensive.
    Have to say though that english players are crazy prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i would be ****ing delighted if we got Bentley for 8million plus Pennant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i would be ****ing delighted if we got Bentley for 8million plus Bentley.
    But then you'd be left with no player and a deficit of 8 million. Bad business sense I reckon.

Pighead wrote: »
    But then you'd be left with no player and a deficit of 8 million. Bad business sense I reckon.

I'm just happy MrAlan isnt the manager.

Hughs "So you are happy to sign Bentley for 8m, + you give us Bentley"

Mr.Alan "Definitely, great deal"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If it's Bentley , why would Ballague say "the name might cause surprise", given that Bentley has been touted all season as being someone who could be nabbed by a top 4 club?

Plus given his media spotlight now, surely it would have been leaked or picked up on by the ravenous press?

Sounds more like it's someone a bit further under the radar.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »

+1

:D Mr Alan is Rick Parry!

Mike.

spockety wrote: »
    If it's Bentley , why would Ballague say "the name might cause surprise", given that Bentley has been touted all season as being someone who could be nabbed by a top 4 club?

Plus given his media spotlight now, surely it would have been leaked or picked up on by the ravenous press?

Youre probably right but that depresses me. 2 or 3 top class signings please Rafa.

We have enough good players, we have enough v.good players. What we need, are some established, top class players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I'm just happy MrAlan isnt the manager.

Hughs "So you are happy to sign Bentley for 8m, + you give us Bentley"

Mr.Alan "Definitely, great deal"

lol:D:D

I'm not so sure, Ballague wouldnt really associate Bentley with being a big player i reckon.
    mike65 wrote: »
    :D Mr Alan is Rick Parry!

Mike.

I cant believe you said that :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Youre probably right but that depresses me. 2 or 3 top class signings please Rafa.

We have enough good players, we have enough v.good players. What we need, are some established, top class players.

But if you want established, and top class, then surely Bentley's name would be as depressing?

I assume you mean you want the kind of signing who has a huge name, and you say to yourself "This is a signing that will live up to the price tag".. you can't be sure of that with Bentley. He'd be having to make a step up. The kind of signing that would inspire your confidence would not be taking a step up , he'd be taking a step across from another big club. (There are obvious exceptions to this, but Bentley isn't one of them imho)

I cant believe you said that :(

Neither can I

Give Parry some credit:p

Mascherano banned for 2 extra games and fined 15k! :eek:

Does that apply to champions league games ?

Thats an absolute joke tbh

Doesnt count in Champions League

• Advertisement

no.

thats a ****ing joke is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Mascherano banned for 2 extra games and fined 15k! :eek:

Does that apply to champions league games ?

He misses Arsenal(a) and Blackburn(h)

It really is a joke considering others have only got an extra match for alot worse than what he did!!The FA are just using him as a guineypig!!Smells of horse manure to be honest!!

lpool2k05 wrote: »

It really is a joke considering others have only got an extra match for alot worse than what he did!!The FA are just using him as a guineypig!!Smells of horse manure to be honest!!

NOOOOOO!

http://www.forumspile.com/No-Darth_Vader.jpg

I'm going to the Blackburn game. Hes one of my favorite players :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

he was always gonna get it though, as soon as you dont leave the field immediately, rightly or wrongly, they pretty much always do this

how long did it take him to leave the field. 15 seconds? someone on here counted iirc.

absolute bull**** decision, cowardly....afraid to take a stand against the real people who are bringing the game into disrepute so instead focus on a young foreign lad.

i hope he burns them down.

But if you want established, and top class, then surely Bentley's name would be as depressing?

I assume you mean you want the kind of signing who has a huge name, and you say to yourself "This is a signing that will live up to the price tag".. you can't be sure of that with Bentley. He'd be having to make a step up. The kind of signing that would inspire your confidence would not be taking a step up , he'd be taking a step across from another big club. (There are obvious exceptions to this, but Bentley isn't one of them imho)

I agree with you. The news in general doesn't fill me with excitement but if it is someone of a lesser pedigree than Bentley, then I would be very disappointed. Young or Bentley would be passable but not really the quality we need. Anyone else would be seriously disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

i'd say what I think of Ashley Cole, for it is his fault that there Masch got a 3 match ban, but I would probably breach forum rules, and he is not worth a ban...........

Stupid for arguing and not leaving the pitch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

lpool2k05 wrote: »

who? as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

absolute bull**** decision, cowardly....afraid to take a stand against the real people who are bringing the game into disrepute so instead focus on a young foreign lad.
    He was being aggressive as he went off.

Are you condoning his behaviour here?

Was it "correct behaviour"?

Does every player who gets booked for backchat have the right to act like that?
    i hope he burns them down.
    There's a fella from Dundalk he could take a few lessons from.

a famous well known player is not what we need,we need someone who knows the pace of the game and will bed in straight away.Would simao offer more than bentley,prob not as the physical nature and pace of the game would take maybe six mopnths to get used to.
    Bentley or Young are established good premiership players who have something about them,are both young and will hopefully develop under a better manager and better system.I like the idea of a good crosser with pace and someone who can beat the first man with a free kick.

The difference with Ashley Cole is that he was punished by the ref.

It's a fúcking idiotic rule, but still, it's there.

I think Ashley Cole should miss the remainder of the season for his actions tbh. Much worse than what Mascherano did. A million times worse.

• Advertisement

No-one should be shocked by this and it has the advantage of keeping him fresh for Tuesday.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

He's being made an example of. What website are those balague comments from?? I reckon/hope it's ashley young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Mascherano deserves that punishment. He acted the fool and he apologised to his team mates. He knows he done wrong.

The problem is with the FA and referees. If they are going to make an example of Mascherano they must remain consistant with every player that acts in the same way from here on in.

Before the start of every game, referees should go into each dressing room and say they are not going to take that type of sh!t from anyone. Anyone that gives me sh!t, a yellow card each time, end of!!! It's the only way to eliminate it.

DesF wrote: »
    He was being aggressive as he went off.

Are you condoning his behaviour here?

Was it "correct behaviour"?

Does every player who gets booked for backchat have the right to act like that?

he got agressive after they sent him off for calmly asking why Torres was booked.

i dont care if before that he was livid-running around like a mad man, if that was the case, the ref should have taken action at the time of those incidents, NOT when he calmly asked a question with his hands by his side.

he was punished iirc for failing to leave the field of play-he was off fairly pronto, albeit, he was unhappy about it.

Was is correct behaviour? no he should have kept his cool, but i find it difficult to criticise a player for too much passion. if we had more players like him we'd be a lot further up the league.

No, players who get booked for back chat dont have a right to be like that, but a lot of players who are sent off for asking the ref a question WILL act like that. But we both know it'll be a few years before that happens again as the only reason it did was because of the events that happened the week before.

edit:gonna regret bringin this up again. last post on the matter.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Mascherano deserves that punishment. He acted the fool and he apologised to his team mates. He knows he done wrong.

The problem is with the FA and referees. If they are going to make an example of Mascherano they must remain consistant with every player that acts in the same way from here on in.

Before the start of every game, referees should go into each dressing room and say they are not going to take that type of sh!t from anyone. Anyone that gives me sh!t, a yellow card each time, end of!!! It's the only way to eliminate it.

he was only booked for the dissent - the ban was for the violent reaction and refusal to leave the field

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Alan you're arguing his charge for misconduct using the issue of WHY he was sent off. No-one is talking about WHY he was sent off. He was charged because he threw his toys out of the pram FOR being sent off.

And I'm all for players showing some passion - but I'm also all on for professionalism, something he showed none of when the card was produced. He let himself down and he let his team down. Its a shame because after his performance last night I have no doubt to his pure quality as a footballer and the best you can hope for as a pool fan is that he has learned his lesson and will continue to be monumental for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mascherano was sent off. He stayed on the pitch and refused to leave.

he was punished iirc for failing to leave the field of play-he was off fairly pronto, albeit, he was unhappy about it.

That's just crap, sorry, its just lies.
    After 10 seconds, he was chasing the ref with a smile on his face.
    After 17 seconds, he was chasing the ref shouting aggressively at him
    After 25 seconds, he was held back by Alonso and a coach.
    This went on till 30 seconds, when Rafa realised he had to get involved.
    Took Rafa 10 seconds to get him, all the time he was being restrained by the coaches.
    Then after 52 seconds, after Rafa talking to him, he finally started to leave the pitch.
    After about 70 seconds, he was in the tunnel.

He was booked a 2nd time for persistant dissent, a fact that most liverpool fans seem contempt to ignore. Mascherano had questioned his decisions 4-5 times after he had already been booked. Mascherano ran 20 yards to give out to the ref after he had booked Torres. The ref said it was for persistant dissent.

Whether that was right or not, and I think it was, he then didn't leave the field of play for 70 seconds, about 10 seconds which include shouting aggresively at the ref, and 25 other seconds while he was being restrained by coaches.

What the **** do you expect the FA to do?
    He was always going to get a 2 match ban, he is not being made an example of, he is getting the appropriate punishment for what he did.

he got agressive after they sent him off for calmly asking why Torres was booked.

i dont care if before that he was livid-running around like a mad man, if that was the case, the ref should have taken action at the time of those incidents, NOT when he calmly asked a question with his hands by his side.

Was is correct behaviour? no he should have kept his cool, but i find it difficult to criticise a player for too much passion. if we had more players like him we'd be a lot further up the league.

No, players who get booked for back chat dont have a right to be like that, but a lot of players who are sent off for asking the ref a question WILL act like that. But we both know it'll be a few years before that happens again as the only reason it did was because of the events that happened the week before.

edit:gonna regret bringin this up again. last post on the matter.

He received the 2nd card for Persistent Dissent

i'd prefer then if his second yellow was actually given at a time when he was telling the ref to **** off, jump up his arse, lick his barse or being threatening to the ref.

as opposed to a time when Masch was talking to him quite calmly with his hands by his side.

talking to a ref does not equal dissent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

PHB wrote: »

He was booked a 2nd time for persistant dissent

As far as I can see there is no such thing as persistant dissent in the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why? He had done it countless times before, and the ref was fed up with it. Dissent is what the ref says it is, and constantly questioning every decision is dissent, even if its done with a smile and a cherry.

And, the ban was not for the 2nd yellow, it was for not leaving the pitch after he was sent off, and that is utterly justified.

He ran twenty yards to question the referee's decision. Again. Whether he roars and shouts or whether he whispers gently he had no business questioning the ref - not least after questioning the ref quite a few times previously.

God now I'm getting drawn back into the argument over the actual card and not the reason he's been punished - his reaction to it.

You make it sound like he was straight redded for asking a rational question.

You know this isn't the case, so stop misrepresenting the facts. Please.

Masch was Yellow Carded for a foul. Not harsh. It was warranted.

He then chose to question every decision that went against his team, he was in the ref's face at least three times more, probably five or six. He was warned.

The Torres get's harshly, imo, yellowed. Masch then chose to run 15/20 yards to the ref to again question his decision. The ref AGAIN warns him (pointing to the tunnell was clearly seen), but Masch decided to just keep asking. He was Yello Carded for this. Persistent Dissent. Not harsh.

Two yellow cards, as you know, equals a red.

Masch knows this too. Masch also knows Bennett is card happy. He was foolish. He deserved to go.

His actions afterwards are what have lead to the further punishment.

He then started ranting, and lost control imo. When a player is sent off he cannot be in the vicinity of the pitch. Not the sideline. Not the bench. Not the tunnell. He has to go to the stand, or leave the ground. He took a long time to do this, and he certainly didn't go quietly.

Is this acceptable behaviour? If you were playing football and one of your team-mates carried on like this, would you call him a numpty, or congratulate him on his "passion"?

He acted the gob****e.

if i got a second yellow for asking the ref a question after my star striker is kicked by the opposition players and recieves a yellow card for his troubles, I would go ****ing ape****e. Masch was the one to approach the ref as the question he asked him was, why had he recieved a booking a few minutes before and not the Utd players now for intentionally kicking Torres.

It wasnt wise as Bennett is card happy, and yes he was probably a gob****e for doing it, but bennett was out to set an example that day and he did. already refs have reverted to type in relation to dissent, in not punishing it.

Maschs reaction to be sent off was ott, but he doesnt deserve an extended ban imo, his sending off was harsh, so the one game he served should have been sufficent.

PS-if i was masch i wouldve reacted 10 times worse than him ;)

he was disgraceful and i have no problem with the punishment.he deserves it for stupidity alone but more than that it took 6 or 7 staff and team members to restrain him and get him off the pitch.he was trying to intimidate the ref and his behaviour was disgraceful.Maybe his punishmnet will serve as a lesson to others.
    Yes Cole should also be suspended but that doe not lesson what Masch did.It wasnt passion,it was breaking the rules and it was disloyal to hios own team.If pool were in a title race would we be all so forgiving his "passion"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Would love to see us get DeRossi from Roma

The same DeRossi that plays for Italy and was sent off in a disgraceful display in the last WC v USA?

No thanks. Roma can keep that type of player.

Was that the guy who near broke McBride's nose in the WC? Or am I confusing people left right and centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

PHB wrote: »
    Mascherano was sent off. He stayed on the pitch and refused to leave.

That's just crap, sorry, its just lies.
    After 10 seconds, he was chasing the ref with a smile on his face.
    After 17 seconds, he was chasing the ref shouting aggressively at him
    After 25 seconds, he was held back by Alonso and a coach.
    This went on till 30 seconds, when Rafa realised he had to get involved.
    Took Rafa 10 seconds to get him, all the time he was being restrained by the coaches.
    Then after 52 seconds, after Rafa talking to him, he finally started to leave the pitch.
    After about 70 seconds, he was in the tunnel.

He was booked a 2nd time for persistant dissent, a fact that most liverpool fans seem contempt to ignore. Mascherano had questioned his decisions 4-5 times after he had already been booked. Mascherano ran 20 yards to give out to the ref after he had booked Torres. The ref said it was for persistant dissent.

Whether that was right or not, and I think it was, he then didn't leave the field of play for 70 seconds, about 10 seconds which include shouting aggresively at the ref, and 25 other seconds while he was being restrained by coaches.

What the **** do you expect the FA to do?
    He was always going to get a 2 match ban, he is not being made an example of, he is getting the appropriate punishment for what he did.

I'm a Liverpool fan and I'd love to be able to stand up for him but everything PHB has said is spot on

kaimera wrote: »
    The same DeRossi that plays for Italy and was sent off in a disgraceful display in the last WC v USA?

No thanks. Roma can keep that type of player.

Yea i also would have liked to see that disgraceful Zidane fella playing at Anfield.!

DeRossi elbowed McBride in that game and rightly got sent off. However he is a top class midfielder. Lots of people have lost interest in Serie A but it still has some excellent players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i'm a firm beleiver that these things even themselves out over the season

sure look at that peno decision last night ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement